• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 26, 2018
LOL, no. You don't lose your job for not doing OT, at least not in the game industry.

7nte5.jpg

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wow she went from zero to victim real quick.

Can someone point out to me what Jason did wrong here.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017

Jason challenging people discrediting his reporting on Twitter isn't sending a mob after people though. This person mentions "three times over the past week". All Jason has done is defend his reporting and call out people for dismissing and downplaying crunch. Equating this to "sending a mob" is disingenuous.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
The campaign against Jason is so fucking transparent it's hilarious.

This industry really isn't equipped to deal with actual journalists existing in it.

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
Media announced crunch stories and a week later the game was gold. So, even if it was crunchtime, perhaps it wasn't that long?

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
For a forum full of boomers I'm honestly surprised that some people don't realize workers work big OT hours to keep their jobs.... this isn't the only industry guys
But they shouldn't have to to keep their jobs. I work in an industry where crunch happens year in and year out (accounting) and it's fucking stupid. The people there look so damn miserable, but they are making so much more money so some of them feel it is worth it. The others feel stuck or obligated since (when it isn't mandatory) there is intense pressure by the others crunching.

KrAzY

Sep 2, 2018
It's okay, when jason reports on another company with the same shit, they'll be on his side no problem lol

Oct 26, 2017
The gaming press is largely enthusiast media, that generally works to promote publishers and retailers. There's always been a weird and often uncomfortable dynamic going on, with press prize boxes, access etc. Jason's work is one of the few examples of actual journalism about the industry.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
these people are all free to leave those professions if they don't like it
Please don't ever use that argument ever again, especially if you just mentioned how normal that overtime is and that we are all living in the same society and same financial system. And there is also a difference between a freelancer/independent contractor and a labour. If the first group of people chooses to do overtime, that is on them. But the others are forced and that is what we are talking about.
Also, as many mentioned here, working 100 hours a week will burn you out, make you less effective and surprisingly you don't need that if you have strict laws like here in Germany. And last time I checked, we were doing just fine

Last edited:

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't really agree with your initial statement, but, I also don't think his crunch articles should be taken like the gospel.

For CDPR, he spoke with literally 1% of the workforce. For ND, it was 3% and some of those people didn't even work there anymore. That's not to say those stories are invalid, but, like, there are so many more sides to these stories that we aren't hearing in these articles.

The sample size is not even remotely enough for me to agree that these studios are these nightmare employers they're made out to be by anyone outside of these organizations.
He is talking to far more developers than any other journalist though, this is how stories like this work. Any investigative journalism piece you will ever read about any workplace mistreatment, even at large companies, is only going to have a dozen or so sources because it is very difficult to get people who are willing to be whistleblowers due to the risk involved. When you see these influencers or other gaming journos who don't do investigative work talking about "I talked to people there" this almost always means marketing and PR staff because usually those are the only people allowed to talk with media. That or it's a handful of staff given permission to speak by PR, HR, and the higher ups at the company under certain conditions. Whereas in Jason's case, people actually come out of the woodwork to talk to him because he has a reputation for reporting on labor conditions in the industry and a long history of doing investigative pieces.

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
User Warned - Hostility to fellow member (3 Day Threadban)
Yeah im misguided. Have you ever been to Poland? Have you ever worked a full time job before?
I've been to poland, I'm a teacher too, I also put in way more hours than I'm paid for.

But have YOU aver worked a full time job, that is not safe to keep? Where you're working strict time frames that are linked together with the schedules of many other people that work right next to you? Where you can't work from home and choose when to take all your breaks and where you don't have diverse tasks that sometimes require full attention and sometimes can repetitive-meditative where you can put a podcast? Where reading code and looking for bugs needs all your attention all the time and how crushing it can be if your solution didn't lead to the right results and you have to do it all over again, explain to colleagues and superiors why you are taking so long?

Really, get the fuck out with that attitude.

Feb 4, 2018
Those defending CDPR sound like the same folks who were passionate about ethics in games journalism.

Also, I've tried to read that Game Informer employee's tweets multiple times and just cannot for the life of me parse what she's actually trying to say.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
But they shouldn't have to to keep their jobs. I work in an industry where crunch happens year in and year out (accounting) and it's fucking stupid. The people there look so damn miserable, but they are making so much more money so some of them feel it is worth it. The others feel stuck or obligated since (when it isn't mandatory) there is intense pressure by the others crunching.
Yup. Fuck "Big 4" mentality. Fuck billable hours.

Deleted member 44828

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
His example was about said "optional" crunch you're defending, not mandatory crunch. Basically, they're the same damn thing.
No one has the ability to turn down crunch without impacting their future promotions, career growth, reputation and/or future employment.

Case in point: I live in Montreal and I crunched on a video game for over 80 hours a week for two months straight. There are 30+ game developers in Montreal and yet employees crossover between companies all the time so when I interviewed somewhere else I was told (and later offered the job) that they had heard how much I was willing to sacrifice on projects and was a reliable and dependable employee because of that.

I got a job (and unquestionably got promotions too) because I was willing to crunch. I saw people around me who were also crunching fail out of school, lose loved ones and/or burn themselves out crunching.

Crunch is never an option.

I can understand and relate with you both.

Thanatos, I had some problems doing crunch too, my mental healthy was a mess, I could receovery after therapy and etc.

I'm not in CDRed side, because I know this shit happens with most companies in the world. This mentality of being compensate, be the "cool" worker or job guarantee only because you work more, this I couldn't agree more to be against. The issue is far from gaming companies, it's all over every market.
One of these main problems is this bullshit contractors being blackmailed, should be illegal to have consequences of not doing crunch. But I think this is mainly because contract agreement by contract.

But let's leave deadline, contractors, and all this bullshit meantality the companies do, aside for a moment, and come back to my example of working more because money or even to rest some specific normal work day... Is still crunch? That's what I'm saying. It's more antecipating my work to rest or receive more because I'm in need of money. It's far from right with myself, depending of how much I'm willing to do so.

About toxic work environment, wIth development, this is literally what companies do:

Dec 31, 2017
I'm not defending chronic crunch...60-80+ hour weeks for years. Obviously that's not a healthy work culture, but it's also not unheard of. Doctors, lawyers, bankers, engineers...many of them work hours like this. Not all though. An investment banker is going to put in 100+ hour weeks, a biglawyer at a top firm will be required to put in 60-70+. A high performing neurosurgeon may put in just as much...these people are all free to leave those professions if they don't like it, and many do - attrition is incredibly high. But there's a reason why they have to work so long and it comes down to extremely specialized knowledge and relationships and work that is not easily divisible.

I also don't think that working over 40 for extended periods of time is bad or a failing of management. Creative processes are less defined and more chaotic by nature.
I was going to write something but this is exactly what I had in mind, but more articulated. Good post, and I completely agree!

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Thats the problem with the video game industry. The second you opt in to it, every member of the team under you and every other team that works with you is being opted in as well.
They should take this majority of people that want to work on saturdays, develop a plan and get as much shit done till release as possible. If it comes out buggy then so be it.

Isn't most of the work so shortly before release just fixing as much stuff as possible?

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Is overtime is US that much different from here in Uk and Eu.
I get asked I say yes I get paid it's my choice.

also why is crunch only frowned apon and hated in videogame industry it happens in tons jobs don't see multiple posts or articles complaining and saying it has to stop only with videogame companies
Most salaried positions in US won't pay for overtime. So say we have an urgent project and I had to work 50 or even 60 hours this week. I would get paid the same as another week where I worked 40.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
They were crunching before these final stages of development. It's just "mandatory now". Can't believe people go out of their way to defend these multi mil/bil companies.

Here's some context from someone actually living in that country.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Jason challenging people discrediting his reporting on Twitter isn't sending a mob after people though. This person mentions "three times over the past week". All Jason has done is defend his reporting and call out people for dismissing and downplaying crunch. Equating this to "sending a mob" is disingenuous.
Honestly, with how much clout Jason has, defending himself is the same thing as sending a mob. Tons of immature people see Jasons tweets and either attack him or attack the people that crticize him. Comes with the territory of having a lot of clout. He is probably in the right all things considered though. I doubt the crunch "wasnt that bad".

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Shout out to Schreier - the absolute best journalist in this damn mess. Dude writes investigative supported articles on crunch culture, trying to point out how it's been going on and the types of physical and mental harms that can be incurred - and gets attacked by other "game journalists" who don't want to be affected by the "negativity." Other hilarious Twitter users who are busy hyping and defending work practices none of us truly know the details of to get free PR swag.

Let the man report on work conditions, and let him be one of the only voices challenging game development teams and companies to be better. We can all be hyped to play the game, but it depends on your own conscience as far as what you support. All these attempts to belittle the crunch reports, or try to attack his character to defend poor company working conditions? Bruh.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
The campaign against Jason is so fucking transparent it's hilarious.

This industry really isn't equipped to deal with actual journalists existing in it.
This. Much of the games press is so reliant on access to multinational developers on their terms that it's embarrassing. I remember years ago when some of the better outlets at least stopped accepting endless hospitality from PR departments, but even then they are barely more than an extension of the marketing department much of the time, plastering sites with art from the £60 toys they are reviewing and with seemingly little interest in holding the biggest players to account when they can take ad revenue from their upcoming products instead. Journalism requires asking difficult questions, something much of the games press doesn't always seem comfortable doing at the same time as they are reliant on the huge ad budgets of AAA studios.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love all the vague "agenda" insinuations that these dorks seem to refuse to actually articulate.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Can someone explain the difference to me between crunch and overtime. I know that most devs don't get paid for overtime but in this case they did so I want to remove that from the equation.

I work in a production based environment in america and we inevitably have overtime when we fail to meet demands. The overtime is generally offered as an option before it becomes mandatory. Nobody thinks your a bad employee if you don't do option overtime. Its not used to determine who to fire next. Sometimes optional overtime lasts for MONTHS before my company finally pulls the trigger and demands that we work a six day work week. Sometimes it's only for a month, sometimes it's for two or three. Would this be considered crunch?

I'm genuinely asking and I'm not trying to defend shitty work practices. Its just what im used to and I want to know if others think its crazy.

Crunch is generally caused by a project management failure somewhere along the way in a project, or by a project taking an unexpected curve while its being developed that can lead to a larger than planned workload. It can also be a result of someone higher up in the project deciding to scope creep the project and add more things to it.

Game development is also very similar to making a blockbuster movie - you are never really done, you just run out of time before it goes out the door. Due to this, some projects place priorities in the wrong places as they are being developed which can lead to crunch to get everything else done before a project officially releases. However, the problem with the modern video game industry is that games are never truly done these days. Old games used to be crunched on until they went gold and then oh well, the game was out the door and pressed, everyone else just has to live with it. Then patches were introduced as a regular thing, so now games go out the door and teams crunch on the day 1 patch and then everything else that needs to be fixed after that. DLC and GAAS are now a thing as well, so now when games go gold your teams work on day 1 patches, DLC and content to add regularly at a steady pace to keep player engagement high.

All of this has caused more value to be placed on employees who are willing to "lay down on the line" for the project and sacrifice themselves to get the project done. Except projects are truly never done now and game budgets keep rising, team sizes keep getting bigger and game features keep being added. This is the perfect cocktail for industry crunch to brew.

The other problem is that promotions within the video game industry are directly tied to how much you are willing to lay your life on the time for the project. Hell, at an outsourcing company, an internal game developer can request that anyone within the outsourcing company that isn't willing to crunch be removed from the project and replaced by people who will. This is just one example of how fucked up the balance of power can be in the industry and as mentioned before, someone who has a cushy job making over $75,000 may choose to crunch but then all the teams that work with them and all the employees under them must then crunch as well, because if they don't then the person choosing to crunch will run out of things to work on.

The other thing that makes crunch crunch is that it can go on for 6+ months if not years. I've seen other video game projects crunch for over a year, and its never optional due to the fact that choosing not to crunch will put your career progression and/or job stability in peril. And that's an even bigger problem in the video game industry due to the fact that many lower level employees are working in the industry because they are passionate about it and have been told repeatedly that if they suck it up and pay their dues then they will get promoted, just like one of their friends.

But yes, any sustained overtime can be considered crunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.