• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
I've worked on teams where we all decided to stay late to make sure the feature worked on is ready, but the problem is it starts to become expected behavior relatively quickly. It's not even an evil thing. Once velocity goes up the business wants to maintain or accelerate even more. That's why crunch culture is so difficult to avoid.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Lets use example pay.

But that's the entire problem with the video game industry. Say, a Game Director ($100,000 a year) chooses to crunch to get their work done for game launch. That means their team crunches as well (developers making $50,000-$75,000). Because the game developers are crunching, the QA team ($35,000-$45,000) a year have to crunch as well. Wait shit, the team also has two outside contractors, both handling some QA. Well those employees ($25,000 a year or far less, whatever minimum wage is in their area) now have to crunch as well, and they have to crunch longer and harder than the CDPR team because they want CDPR to pick them for their next contract.

Oh and that awesome 10-20% or revenue promised to the team when the game makes money? Awesome, none of the external partners, who are hurt the most from this crunch, get any of that.
Thanks for sharing this! The length people go to defend this shit.

Deleted member 44828

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Most people do actually...if OT is available. It's more money.
or even if it's not for money, I even got some days to rest and enjoy time with my family, playing games in launch day and etc.

People need to understand the issue is enforce people to do so. Some may say about the people being contractors and etc, so the issue is a poor quality job for contractors.

Lets use example pay.

But that's the entire problem with the video game industry. Say, a Game Director ($100,000 a year) chooses to crunch to get their work done for game launch. That means their team crunches as well (developers making $50,000-$75,000). Because the game developers are crunching, the QA team ($35,000-$45,000) a year have to crunch as well. Wait shit, the team also has two outside contractors, both handling some QA. Well those employees ($25,000 a year or far less, whatever minimum wage is in their area) now have to crunch as well, and they have to crunch longer and harder than the CDPR team because they want CDPR to pick them for their next contract.

Oh and that awesome 10-20% or revenue promised to the team when the game makes money? Awesome, none of the external partners, who are hurt the most from this crunch, get any of that.

You are just explaining the enforce crunch, not the option of Devs, QA choose to crunch or not. So, we are complaining about enforce crunch? Not the option to people choose to crunch, right?!

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's essentially similar to the excuse ND gave for their crunch antics, that they don't prevent their "passionate" devs from wanting to work longer hours or work over time. In other words, that the Devs choose to do it.

Part of the issue with that (as brought up by many during that convo) is that not all devs will want to work overtime, some may have family and other commitments, exhaustion, poor health, whether mental or physical etc, but might be peer pressured into accepting it either way, because their colleagues are on board with it.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
why the fuck is anyone trying to dunk on Jason about this?

we got influencers who got free chairs saying Jason has an AgEndA for reporting this, and now GameInformer saying his reporting is incorrect?

Dude is literally the only person out of a pool of like 5 people who can legitimately wear the badge of "journalist" in this industry.

A lot of gamers don't give a fuck. They'd rather play a game then talk about better work culture for the employees making the game.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
but devs supported extra day for 6 weeks...

That's not how this works, they already promised no mandatory crunch. I'm pretty sure some, or even most, devs would support this crunch over a delay, and I'm also sure some would even work 7 days a week for the extra pay, doesn't make it right for those promised no mandatory crunch but now have to do it. This means nothing unless pretty much everyone doing the crunch is 100% on board willingly, otherwise, it's just damage control from some game's fans to clear their conscious about a product they love.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
"If everyone supported it they wouldn't have needed to mandate it" is a great point that is going understated.

Anatole

Mar 25, 2020

Yeah I don't believe her.

Wow, there is a lot of dirty laundry aired in the replies to this thread. 😬 The generalization Liana makes that "No one thinks more highly of Jason than Jason does. Seems to be a really common trait with people of that name" is pretty inflammatory.

lostconst

Oct 27, 2017
That's not how this works, they already promised no mandatory crunch. I'm pretty sure some, or even most, devs would support this crunch over a delay, and I'm also sure some would even work 7 days a week for the extra pay. This means nothing unless pretty much everyone doing the crunch is 100% on board willingly, like this, it's just some damage control from some game's fans to clear their conscious about a product they love.

Plus, no dev is going to come out say, "No, I'm not okay with it." Unless you want to be fired.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
If somebody broke a story about poor working conditions at a factory and some person who runs a pro factory magazine replied to the report with comments from factory workers saying "we actually like it" then the response would obviously be pretty negative.

I don't know why gaming podcasters and writers can't grasp that. It's a job for a lot of people not some dream shit. She's saying you should look for context because it was other reporting, but she still came to defend CDPRs practices and downplay the affects of widespread crunch in the industry. It's not a good look either way, and crying about being bullied doesn't make her statement better.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
If optional crunch is a rare thing, it still exists, not that it doesn't. I dunno the labor laws over there but I still think that option and madate are still different. Saying that CDPR will fire you if you don't it, has that happened with the company?

The video game found a way to get around labour laws long ago.

1) They outsource to companies/countries that have more lax rules
2) They promote people who crunch over people who do not, meaning you are directly hurting your career by not crunching
3) Video game companies will put lower level employees "on call" for the next project, meaning that they will only call you in to work if they absolutely need you, and even then you are basically never going to get a call. Depending on your country, being on call allows them to revoke your company benefits and health insurance since you are not considered a full time employee anymore

And that's just three examples. There are literally thousands more.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, there is a lot of dirty laundry aired in the replies to this thread. 😬 The generalization Liana makes that "No one thinks more highly of Jason than Jason does. Seems to be a really common trait with people of that name" is pretty inflammatory.

Completely belies her credibility and positioning.

mdf/markus

Oct 30, 2017
Is there some kind of best practice for big budget studios and releases in recent years?
Like do we know of AAA studios that definitely are able to release a AAA game without crunch?

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Don't expect ERA to understand but as someone working in consulting this is pretty much the general attitude in huge multinational projects
Consultants for e.g. the big four sure I can see that. They make big bucks and are basically expected to work whenever they are not sleeping. But for general worker drones in big multinationals; especially when the companies are unionized. No way is that normal.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
People can block whoever they want, it's their twitter account. The connection from GI to Jason is obvious and his response is fine. Everyone wants to paint a picture about him but every time I see the back and forth dialogue, I can always see where Jason is coming from.

In other words, they need to chill the fuck out.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Didn't GI have an exclusive cover story?
It's hard not to take into consideration when discussing the current situation.

Risev

Oct 27, 2017
"optional crunch" is not real, folks.

Sure, in the most definition-focused way I suppose you don't have to crunch. But the same could be said for mandatory crunch - you could just quit.

Video game studios are notorious for churn and sucking them in and spitting them out. Turn down "optional crunch" and enjoy being first on the chopping block. Enjoy hearing snide commentary about how your "heart wasn't in it" or "the real believers stayed."

Optional crunch = crunch.
Pretty much. I'm always given the "option" at my work but it'll end up reflecting on my end of the year performance and bonuses.

Either way, Jason did his reporting on this initially 100% correct. I'm always uncomfortable seeing Journalistic outlets like GI feeling the need to stand up for a publisher.

Somewhat related but I also find it uncomfortable whenever people here on this forum or other gaming-centric websites feel the need to congratulate a developer / publisher for releasing a good game or hitting some sort of milestone. Releasing a good game is not something we need to give a developer a pat on the back for, it's the bare minimum for a given transaction (buying a game) to be fair and feel worth the price.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
CDPR have the most ardent of acolytes for such an awful company. It's a shame.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
She has to be kidding... he is the one who cracked this story and has covered it most with real Dev accounts. She is now pretending she wasn't disputing his reports and downplaying the reality?
Yep. And because he isn't afraid on giving names, called them out and giving proof, he is now a bully.
That's exactly what happened with Naughty Dog (an other beloved studio).

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
She works at gameinformer and I assume she's defending the position they stated?
But where is Jason a bully? He is responsonding to what was said on the GI podcast without insulting anyone or even calling names.
That is my problem with her reaction to all of this.
She is defending Game Informer by saying they didn't name anyone (even though everyone knows where the crunch story broke and where devs have gone to talk about it), by going to Jason Schreier who also did not say who said what he was disputing, and saying "look at Jason. Can you believe this bully Jason everyone?"

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Reminder that GameInformer is owned and published by Gamestop. It's an industry media mouthpiece at best.

The inflammatory response tweets along with Imran's response (even as a former GI Senior Editor) kinda tells me everything I need to know about this one.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017

Saw this reply to Jason earlier in the thread and this comes across incredibly defensive. I'm really not sure why she seems to have so many issues with Jason going by other tweets in this thread. Calling him a bully seems incredibly inflammatory for someone simply reporting on crunch. Her past tweets about Jason come across way more bullyish than his ever do. Weird situation.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
You are just explaining the enforce crunch, not the option of Devs, QA choose to crunch or not. So, we are complaining about enforce crunch? Not the option to people choose to crunch, right?!

No one has the ability to turn down crunch without impacting their future promotions, career growth, reputation and/or future employment.

Case in point: I live in Montreal and I crunched on a video game for over 80 hours a week for two months straight. There are 30+ game developers in Montreal and yet employees crossover between companies all the time so when I interviewed somewhere else I was told (and later offered the job) that they had heard how much I was willing to sacrifice on projects and was a reliable and dependable employee because of that.

I got a job (and unquestionably got promotions too) because I was willing to crunch. I saw people around me who were also crunching fail out of school, lose loved ones and/or burn themselves out crunching.

Crunch is never an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.