• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Ehh companies offering overtime and mandating it are 2 different things i would think. Jason's article made me think it was forced. I dunno what to think now.

In the video game industry, there is very rarely a thing called "optional" crunch. Having the option to crunch is basically a "Do you want to keep your job or not?" decision.

So yes, "optional crunch" really means "mandatory crunch".

Minthara

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Well, It's a tough situation, having been on a project for years, sure, if you told me I'm getting paid for my overtime and I've been working on this thing for years, and it's coming out in 6 weeks, hell, I'd do it, forcing it is a very bad thing though. I don't think this is on the same level as those rockstar devs that crunch for months on end

Except its not for 6 weeks. CDPR has been crunching for months.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

why the fuck is anyone trying to dunk on Jason about this?

we got influencers who got free chairs saying Jason has an AgEndA for reporting this, and now GameInformer saying his reporting is incorrect?

Dude is literally the only person out of a pool of like 5 people who can legitimately wear the badge of "journalist" in this industry.

Deleted member 44828

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
By choosing to crunch and support ineffective project management methods, you are hurting your entire team.
So so. Some people may choose because money, to get some specific date to rest with the family. I think people choosing to crunch is fine, it's for personal reasons.

Now, enforcing crunch... That's is the issue in every industry/market.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
People coming in to say I love overtime and so do other people I know are being pathetic lol. This company is forcing and fostering it for people to the point they are addressing the spouses with an apology.

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
Doesn't the power dynamic and office culture automatically remove "choice" for the developers here? Also the manner in which they were asked also matters. If they were all in a big meeting together (zoom call now I guess), and they were asked all at the same time some might not feel comfortable speaking up. If they were all asked individually in 1-on-1 meetings with their boss, they might feel pressured to answer in a specific way. Either way, just because they ASK the question doesn't mean the employees had any real choice or voice in the matter.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Heh of course they're gonna try to downplay the crunch.

Some people here say they do OT because of the money, but most people won't. You're kidding if you're saying most people will choose to OT than go home on time. Anyway OT isn't necessarily crunch either.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
The only way to be fair to your employees when it comes to asking if they will crunch is to not ask them to crunch at all. "Asking" employees if they would like to crunch is a joke because of the obvious power dynamic. How many employees trust that their opinion on the matter, whether it's claimed to be anonymous or not, isn't going to be held against them in the future (Whether consciously or unconsciously). "Team players" are rewarded, those who resist... maybe they aren't the best employees.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
i love the management style of "well hey they chose it not me"

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
why the fuck is anyone trying to dunk on Jason about this?

we got influencers who got free chairs saying Jason has an AgEndA for reporting this, and now GameInformer saying his reporting is incorrect?

Dude is literally the only person out of a pool of like 5 people who can legitimately wear the badge of "journalist" in this industry.
Pretty much. Jason is the only journalist in the video game industry. Shit is wild.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Agreed.

We're seeing the peak here of paid-for influencers masquerading as journalists playing down harmful practices in the industry because they get free chairs and early copies of the game. Not a good scenario to be in.
I dont think you can say they are paid-for in GI's case vs the guy literally in a cyberpunk chair lol. I think if you look back GI just probably got a preview from them I think there were a few previews at the time if I'm not wrong. We could look back and see. But yeah this a mess.

Strittles

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not only does the claim that the "mass majority" were okay with it ignore how the culture around crunch create pressure and expectations for the employees, it also ignores all the people who aren't okay with it but now have to work overtime anyways. It just emphasizes a point Jason made on twitter:

SoEl

May 3, 2020
This is wild to me. never seen a studio get defended as much as CDPR. especially when you consider that the whole naughty dog and TLOU2 debacle just happened a couple months ago.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Cus they want Cyberpunk and want to feel good about it.
It's like a step away from the Rooster Teeth stuff smack talking Jeff Gerstmann about Fallout 4 while they were all wearing pip boys.

That's exactly right. They want to consume freely without worrying about the human cost; $60 is enough for them.

Minthara

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
So so. Some people may choose because money, to get some specific date to rest with the family. I think people choosing to crunch is fine, it's for personal reasons.

Now, enforcing crunch... That's is the issue in every industry/market.

But that's the entire problem with the video game industry (lets use sample pay). Say, a Game Director ($100,000 a year) chooses to crunch to get their work done for game launch. That means their team crunches as well (developers making $50,000-$75,000). Because the game developers are crunching, the QA team ($35,000-$45,000 a year) have to crunch as well. Wait shit, the team also has two outside contractors, both handling some QA. Well those employees ($25,000 a year or far less, whatever minimum wage is in their area) now have to crunch as well, and they have to crunch longer and harder than the CDPR team because they want CDPR to pick them for their next contract.

Oh and that awesome 10-20% or revenue promised to the team when the game makes money? Awesome, none of the external partners, who are hurt the most from this crunch, get any of that.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Ahh I remember her from the day the game went gold and everyone went apeshit because Jason mentioned in his tweet the "tired developers". She was one of the people defending Paris(?) for his accusation of Jason having an agenda.

Also watching the clip from OP... to start with a comparison to her work in the military is just such an obvious tactic in a conversation to just say "Hey look, they don't have it as bad as I did." which is never in good faith.
And again: Sure most people at CDPR seem to be okay with doing overtime in an creative industry (which is only too common) but they don't seem to think about their co-workers who just can't, in a company that boostet about their work culture and claiming it isn't for everyone. And think about this for one second:
If they don't stay and do the overtime, that workload will end up on someone elses table. So YOU will end up the traitor and who wants to work at a company where your co-workers see you as an traitor?

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol @ the people saying "optional crunch". what do you think happens if they say no? if the management team is asking people to work overtime it's because there is work that needs finished - if they don't accept, who will finish that work? do you think management would be happy with that work going unfinished?

"optional crunch" really downplays the complex factors involved in endemic crunch.

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019
More money for OT isn't an excuse. They should be compensated fairly to where they feel the need to stay extra just because the money is better. The game will be huge and it would have been huge in March.

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dont think you can say they are paid-for in GI's case vs the guy literally in a cyberpunk chair lol. I think if you look back GI just probably got a preview from them I think there were a few previews at the time if I'm not wrong. We could look back and see. But yeah this a mess.

Maybe. I'm finding it hard to trust most people in the industry when it comes to this kind of stuff though.

That being said, given how little coverage the transphobia stuff got, I don't know why I'm surprised.

John Caboose

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Uhh, choosing to crunch is still crunch and the argument that workers are doing crunch out of their own passion and excitement for their work is a big part of what enables crunch culture to continue. Of course you're going to hear that crunch is overblown, because only workers who are comfortable with crunch are freely able to speak about it aloud.

Nailed it.

Feb 23, 2019
User Banned (5 Days): Antagonizing Fellow Member; Downplaying Concerns Around Abusive Work Practices; History of Hostility
I feel like Jason is really reaching to find one story to latch onto for his journalism career.

Crunch is no big secret though, and it's not even something that's necessarily bad, it's present in many careers and not everyone that works at these places has it strictly mandated for very long periods of time

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
"optional crunch" is not real, folks.

Sure, in the most definition-focused way I suppose you don't have to crunch. But the same could be said for mandatory crunch - you could just quit.

Video game studios are notorious for churn and sucking them in and spitting them out. Turn down "optional crunch" and enjoy being first on the chopping block. Enjoy hearing snide commentary about how your "heart wasn't in it" or "the real believers stayed."

Optional crunch = crunch.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
GI and specifically Liana in the clip is 100% defending crunch. Although her reply to Jason on Twitter goes the plausible deniability route, there's no doubt when she talks about people reporting on crunch and inflammatory headlines she's referring to what stemmed from Jason's reporting. In fact she's basically blaming Jason indirectly for devs not being able to publicly say they're "proud". Very weird stance to take and all the blame should be put on studio heads for not making it possible to finish a game in standard working hours rather than crunching - not people reporting on crunch.

Liana has issues with Jason going by tweets in this thread where she outright says "he crosses lines for clicks", so I don't 100% trust her views when discussing this.

The lengths people will go to justify crunch and defend it is insane. It should always be called out and reported on.

RoninZ

Oct 27, 2017
In the video game industry, there is very rarely a thing called "optional" crunch. Having the option to crunch is basically a "Do you want to keep your job or not?" decision.

So yes, "optional crunch" really means "mandatory crunch".
If optional crunch is a rare thing, it still exists, not that it doesn't. I dunno the labor laws over there but I still think that option and madate are still different. Saying that CDPR will fire you if you don't it, has that happened with the company?

Serenitynow

Oct 25, 2017
Jason is a true, professional journalist in a sea of children that make up the games industry media.

Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda funny to watch one of the few actual journalists in gaming get jumped on for reporting on crunch culture.

It's okay GameInformer. You can praise and review Cyberpunk well, we won't judge.

Status
Not open for further replies.