• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
That's the R* defense of "we were so dedicated we did 100hrs weeks" for Red Dead II.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
I'm sure some employees at CDPR were happy to crunch, it's not uncommon in the industry. But I'm sure their internal employees and external partners who don't want to crunch love that decision, since they are all now being forced to crunch as well.

That's the problem with crunch, workaholics don't see the problem while everyone else sacrifices because they lose their jobs or they lose future contracts if they don't crunch. In crunch culture, employees choosing to crunch literally peer pressure other employees into sacrificing their marriage, time with kids, time with family and/or mental health.

By choosing to crunch and support ineffective project management methods, you are hurting your entire team.

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
when will we stop making excuses for crunch culture

no one enjoys this shit.

"polish culture and attitude" get the fuck out of here

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure some employees at CDPR were happy to crunch, it's not uncommon in the industry. But I'm sure their internal employees and external partners who don't want to crunch love that decision, since they are all now being forced to crunch as well.

That's the problem with crunch, workaholics don't see the problem while everyone else sacrifices because they lose their jobs or they lose future contracts if they don't crunch. In crunch culture, employees choosing to crunch literally peer pressure other employees into sacrificing their marriage, time with kids, time with family and/or mental health.
This is absolutely true. In my industry those happy to crunch and work more than 5 days are hourly. Those of us salary though only get paid 40 hours a week. Any extra than that is horsecrap.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
From what I understand, they already crunch to death since the first delay.
Then they had a choice :
  • Do you want to continue to crunch to death 4 more months
  • We increase the already awful crunch a little bit but we keep the launch
That's two terrible choices and I don't understand how making the second choice changes anything about crunch.
And I am pretty sure the family situation must be already terrible so I think you just hope the thing to stop the quickest possible, even if that means making it poorer a little more.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
What a mess of a story.

It seems like both Jason and CDPR aren't coming out of this completely clean.

I don't see how this would in any way reflect poorly on Jason. He reported that they were crunching despite earlier reports that they would either not crunch or minimize it or whatever. Just because employees chose that over another delay doesn't really impact that fact. They aren't even saying what his report said was 'inaccurate,' just that it was a bigger deal than what was made out to do, whatever that means.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
The lengths some people go to play defense for this company is amazing.

Iacomus

Dec 26, 2018
Please remember some of the people in that video were gifted Cyberpunk gaming chairs (Alanah) and may not have an unbias opinion.

Additionally this in the business is called damage control. I trust Jason way more then someone trying to sell a product which is releasing soon.

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That email is pretty damning.

Doesn't matter if some are fine with it, it should never ever ever be mandatory, and there is absolutely no defence for it, especially when you've already promised to the contrary.

Otheradam

Nov 1, 2017
Some of ya'll saying you choose to work overtime isn't the same as crunch. Crunch is pretty much mandatory. 12-14 hour days for months at a time. I doubt you would 'choose' to do that for 6 months straight even if the pay is good. It's not good for your health weather you choose it or not and people should straight up not be allowed to work like that.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
Uhh, choosing to crunch is still crunch and the argument that workers are doing crunch out of their own passion and excitement for their work is a big part of what enables crunch culture to continue. Of course you're going to hear that crunch is overblown, because only workers who are comfortable with crunch are freely able to speak about it aloud.

this. It only took two replies to hit on it. You don't have to be uncomfortable with it to still be under it.I hate the "gotcha" type shit this starts.

Oct 25, 2017
It's news worthy when the head of the company promises no crunch and then you do it anyway. I doubt 100% of the people at CDPR all feel the same way about having to crunch. Jason obviously talked to some of them before writing the article.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Was it devs in the trenches or devs that the trenches report to that was okay with 6 day weeks?

Oct 27, 2017
Columbus, OH
That they have to continue to do damage control on this report is heartening. This is progress, it's not happening in leaps and bounds but this kind of thing typically gets swept back under the rug the minute another round of trailers or gameplay reveals goes out.

But don't mistake it for anything other than damage control. Crunch is crunch.

RoninZ

Oct 27, 2017
Ehh companies offering overtime and mandating it are 2 different things i would think. Jason's article made me think it was forced. I dunno what to think now.

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK
Is overtime is US that much different from here in Uk and Eu.
I get asked I say yes I get paid it's my choice.

also why is crunch only frowned apon and hated in videogame industry it happens in tons jobs don't see multiple posts or articles complaining and saying it has to stop only with videogame companies

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
You ever make something for games? You'd be surprised.

I don't, but I work in a high paying white collar industry where similarly brutal hours regularly happen. Just because some people are more ok with it does not mean they like it. No one likes having your whole life be working and sleeping, we just have no choice at times barring new employment.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Crunch is crunch, but I bet there were some employees who were more than happy to do it if it meant they could have the project done and out before the holidays. Even with a second delay there would still probably be a "hectic" push weeks before the final release.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
It's news worthy when the head of the company promises no crunch and then you do it anyway. I doubt 100% of the people at CDPR all feel the same way about having to crunch. Jason obviously talked to some of them before writing the article.

It's not even just CDPR, because their decision to crunch impacts all their outsourcing employees too.

All it takes is about 20 people at the top deciding its crunch time in order to have over 1000+ people crunch on a project. That's why its a problem.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Uhh, choosing to crunch is still crunch and the argument that workers are doing crunch out of their own passion and excitement for their work is a big part of what enables crunch culture to continue. Of course you're going to hear that crunch is overblown, because only workers who are comfortable with crunch are freely able to speak about it aloud.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Whether or not someone chooses is pretty immaterial, someone ends up doing it. I think the consensus is that they shouldn't be put in the position in the first place.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

also why is crunch only frowned apon and hated in videogame industry it happens in tons jobs don't see multiple posts or articles complaining and saying it has to stop only with videogame companies
It does exist everywhere but this is a video games forum first and foremost.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Also, I gotta day the "as long as it's paid and voluntary " takes are so god damn annoying and kind of privileged because there's a lot of groups that can't do these working hours even if they are paid and it locks them not just out of potential promotions and advancement but out of industries all together. If you are ill or disabled, your body less likely to be able to take toll long hours do on your body. If you have dependants to look after, something in society is statistically much more likely to be women, you can't do those hours. And then there's the fact if you are a minority group you are much more likely to be lower paid so you don't get the same level of money for sacrificing your time and health, are also less likely to get a promotion for it and there's also going to be a lot more pressure for you to stay longer than anyone else as a way of proving yourself. This kind of work situations are only doable if you are in a somewhat privileged position and even then, they are a shoddy, shoddy deal that has permanent long term health impacts on your body and your relationships.

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The key to the difference is in your post.

People don't get asked. They get told.

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Well, It's a tough situation, having been on a project for years, sure, if you told me I'm getting paid for my overtime and I've been working on this thing for years, and it's coming out in 6 weeks, hell, I'd do it, forcing it is a very bad thing though. I don't think this is on the same level as those rockstar devs that crunch for months on end

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

This.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jason doesn't need to respond, he's right. Crunch is crunch, whether you agree to it or it's forced upon you.

Status
Not open for further replies.