• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
www.gameinformer.com

BioWare Explains Why It Didn't Bring Back Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer In Legendary Edition

Why isn't the multiplayer experience included in the remaster? BioWare tells Game Informer in an exclusive interview why it was just too complicated.
When speaking with Kevin Meek, environment and character director, and project director Mac Walters, the topic of multiplayer came up and why the studio decided to nix its inclusion. When speaking with , he compared multiplayer to restoring a Porsche, and the analogy actually worked.

"I had all of these analogies early on to try to help people understand what this remaster is going to be about," he said. "It's one thing to take a 1982 Porsche that needs to be fully restored, but now I want you to imagine that it was actually buried in concrete. So you've got to chip away at all of that, and every time you go to try something it's like 'is this even going to work?' Do I blow the engine turnover? You know, it's just a lot of work. And I think people underestimate what it's like to do this game, because - at every step - you are given an agonizing choice of 'is this the thing that we want to spend our time on and really try to improve it' and 'where will this lead us down the road?'"

He added, "I feel strongly that we've chosen the things that are what the majority of our fans were most passionate about. On the topic of multiplayer, it was just really hard. Getting all of the online systems working and functionality would have been another large chunk to do but at the same time, there are a lot of other logistics involved. The economy is built completely differently. Then questions came up like, "Do we support it post-launch? What about people who are still playing multiplayer today? Do we try to find a way to somehow do crossplay between the PS3 and PS4?"

With the work that would have been put into those logistics, the bulk of the project would have suffered, time-wise, and ultimately it was decided that multiplayer was not the road bump this remaster needed, especially since the studio has been wanting to do this for a long time now.
Sucks but the visual upgrades are more important imo. I'm glad they put a focus on that.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
It was the best part of that game, in my opinion.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I never played the trilogy, so I'm only going on what I remember overhearing at Gamestop at it's initial release, but didn't multiplayer tie into effecting your ending in some way? Like you had to build up some sort of meter?

Or am I misremembering something else entirely lol

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy with what we got.
If they felt the challenge was very real and want to get working on the new game in this timeline, that's fine with me.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mass Effect has always been about the story. This was the right choice.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
I never touched the MP, didn't even remember there was MP modes. Sucks for those that liked it though.

TheStebe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
London
They should never bury that porsche in concrete to begin with.

Going to miss that multiplayer...had 100s of hours playing it with my mates. Would have been great to have played it again but with the modern consoles

BoxScar

Jul 21, 2020
I never played the trilogy, so I'm only going on what I remember overhearing at Gamestop at it's initial release, but didn't multiplayer tie into effecting your ending in some way? Like you had to build up some sort of meter?

I think it could contribute to the war effort, but I never played the multiplayer before completing the story and I don't think it made a gamechanging difference.

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020

The meter helped, but it wasn't the be all, end all.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017

Correct. Mass Effect 3's ending options were tied to your "war assets" and "war readiness". Assets were points accrued during the game by discovering things, completing missions, etc, and essentially represented who was on your side and helping fight the Reapers. Readiness however was a percentage multiplayer of how organised, prepared, and coordinated these assets were. The game defaulted to a low percentage (like 50% or lower or something), so if you had 1000 points worth of assets they'd only count for 500.

The only way to increase readiness, the percentage, was to play the multiplayer. The idea was people collectively playing the multiplayer increased the "readiness" of certain regions of the galaxy, since maps took place all over it, and increasing those regions "readiness" would increase your readiness percentage, thus netting you more accurate gains for your war asset points.

In the launch build you couldn't technically reach the requirements for some of the endings without having a higher than default war readiness percentage, even if you still accrued every single possible war asset point in the game (including imported bonuses from the previous two games). You HAD to play the multiplayer to increase the war readiness percentage and unlock ending requirements. This naturally pissed off a lot of people.

BioWare later did two things. Firstly they lowered the bar required for certain ending requirements. And secondly they added so many potential asset accrual in the DLCs that players would be able to unlock all ending possibilities without touching the multiplayer.

That aside though, the multiplayer was really, really fucking fantastic. It's easily one of my favourite ever, and it had tremendous post launch support.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
The multiplayer was incredible, but I think they made the right call. They can do a top version in the next game.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
This along with Pinnacle Station not being in the package is a real shame, it's less than a complete package. You may not mind what's missing, but there is stuff missing from it. And that's a shame.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played the multiplayer to up my readiness, but I hated it because of certain individuals who were just looking to troll or try to get an achievement instead of playing.

Good riddance.

Namtox

Nov 3, 2017
This multiplayer should get remade as a stand-alone experience down the road, it's the best coop horde style mode and progression by a mile.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
No multiplayer means me waiting for it to hit game pass rather than buying it at launch. I love the Mass Effect games but I've already done full series playthroughs as paragon and renegade with male and female Shepard and I'm not in a huge rush to do another. The multiplayer on the other hand would have me there day one. I've been trying to get my ME3 multiplayer fix this entire last console generation and nothing else really scratches that itch

E.Balboa

Oct 30, 2017
Florianópolis, Brazil

You are right, but it was just a shortcut. Your galaxy readiness meter could be maxexd out with single player tasks only if that's what you were going for.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
ME3's multi is the kind of mode you first go in thinking "who asked for this" only to immediately realize how fantastic it is. I didn't sink as many hours in it as, say, I did Uncharted 2's, but it was one my favourite PS3 multiplayer experiences for sure.

It indeed seems like it'd been a big effort, as dissapointing as it might be. Also, the remaster has been worked on by BioWare themselves, right? I'd rather have them redirect that workload to the next ME, as low as my hopes with that one are.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
It was the best part of that game, in my opinion.

Yeah, I don't think I'd ever replay the trilogy, but I would probably dabble in the multiplayer again.

It's been a while, but I think part of ME3 was completing side quests to boost a galaxy-wide preparedness score, and multiplayer could add a bit to that. I don't think it was required.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
BioWare later did two things. Firstly they lowered the bar required for certain ending requirements. And secondly they added so many potential asset accrual in the DLCs that players would be able to unlock all ending possibilities without touching the multiplayer.

Thanks for the big rundown! And this right here is what I was looking for. I figured they made some alterations at some point, but didn't really follow news past the ending controversy.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
I understand the reasoning, but man, it would've been great if they could've had it.

Hell, release that or something similar standalone and I'd pick it up and I'm never usually one for multiplayer games.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
LAME. i spent like 200+ hours in ME3 Multi (it was also my first experience with loot boxes lol). Loved the mode

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I never played ME3 MP. I think you needed Xbox Live for that? I didn't like online MP in general, so I never felt like it was worth it even if ME3's MP looked really interesting. I understand the reasoning, but it's a shame they won't bring it back. Would've loved to try it now.

simmias

Oct 30, 2017
This along with Pinnacle Station not being in the package is a real shame, it's less than a complete package. You may not mind what's missing, but there is stuff missing from it. And that's a shame.

LOL, the multiplayer was actually good, but nobody should be upset about the loss of Pinnacle Station. That DLC was dreadful.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
WHERE MY KROGAN WARLORD AND GETH HUNTER FOLK AT

MessyPreciousBlackcrappie-small.gif

tumblr_mp0lm0Epa81s4hm8fo2_r1_400.gifv

BONUS POINTS FOR BATARIAN PUNCH

134361768744.gif

GOD I LOVED THIS MODE

John Caboose

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Awful multiplayer, just another shitty horde mode in a sea of shitty horde modes. I hated having to play it to get my single player readiness level up. The random progression system was its own level of disgusting bullshit.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
They should never bury that porsche in concrete to begin with.
Especially considering the market value for many Porsches currently. The ME3 multiplayer works because it is modern. The current ability based caharcter classes link with the current shooter market. It's not battle Royale but still a team based shooter with each class has their own skills and some overlap.

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
Really wanted to have multiplayer there. It was damn fun and inserted into the story.

I think this shouldn't be a 60$ release. It's a barebones effort for a trilogy of games that deserve much more work, based on the released material and confirmed omission of multiplayer.

Sorry if I come across as "that guy", but these are some of my favourite games ever and I really think they are doing too little, too late with this.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
"Do we try to find a way to somehow do crossplay between the PS3 and PS4?"

who is asking for this?

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I do get the feeling the team working on the Remasters are being extremely cautious about going overboard, trying to do stuff they can't in the timeframe/budget they have and end up with a more ambitious, but overall less polish version of the trilogy. No doubt because of the recent tragedies that were the last two Bioware games, they want to play it safe... maybe too safe I'd say. At a superficial level at least, ME3MP isn't that much addtional work, most of the maps and models are already in ME3, so on that fron the job would be almost done before it started. Another thing entirely that was mentioned in the article is all the technical aspect that you need to do to make a MP game work, and I have absolutely no idea how hard that would be. (but in terms of crossplay, that's irrelevant. If they didn't want to offer support to the classic trilogy no one, well, very few people, would blame them)

Morever, the cynic in me see one more reason, possibly the main reason, why they dropped MP: monetization. For all I know ME3MP was extremely profitable for EA, and maybe they felt that they would need to unlock everything from default to players, which would greatly reduce the incentive for people to spend money (or maybe even not allow people to buy stuff at all on account of a possible backlash).

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
"Do we try to find a way to somehow do crossplay between the PS3 and PS4?"

who is asking for this?
lol yeah that's a pretty bs example to toss out there. Nobody would expect that. Nor would people expect your stuff to carry over from the PS3 or xbox 360 to this version. They should have left out that particular strawman argument.