• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
www.gamesindustry.biz

Sony's controller tech is literally bananas | Patent Trawling

Games industry patents are an interesting mix of futuristic ideas, practical applications, and utter nonsense. They can…

"It would be desirable if a user could use an inexpensive, simple and non-electronic device as a video game peripheral," the application reads. "The present disclosure seeks to address or at least alleviate some of the above-identified problems."

As you might have guessed from the headline, Sony's answer to the problem is bananas. Well, not just bananas. What the application describes is a method that works with any "non-luminous passive object being held by a user." It could be a mug, a pen, a glass, or as in the inventors' preferred examples, bananas and oranges.

banana.jpg

banana_dual_wield.jpg

57b.gif

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
yo can't believe sony bought nintendo so they could bring back donkey konga that's sick

addik

Oct 28, 2017
Bodes well to a PS4/PS5 port of Hades played with a Banana this time.

No longer Pomegranate-exclusive.

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
I just think that Sony saw outlets reporting on every thier patent and started to make fun of them

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Oh shit. This is for VR simulated controllers isn't it? It'll have those forward facing external cameras, what's that feature called?

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So it's basically using AR to project a button onto a given object.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Double post due to my excitement for what is clearly a sign of the next Ape Escape.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Sony ahead of the game here, they are covering any future banana controller any% speedruns.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
I mean Jesus himself crafted the banana to fit perfectly in our hands, so it makes sense, and it's a good source of potassium.