• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
Say what you will about national dex and the visual downgrade when you go to the wild area when compared to the main game. One thing is really bothering me has to do with the audio, not the lack of options from the beginning of the game.

But more about gamefreaks audio team and their use of surround sound. Back in October we finally got a confirmation that Sword and Shield would get LPCM 5.1 audio. After the lack of proper use of 5.1 audio in lets go pikachu and eevee i was quite happy, lets go did have surround sound but the music was only outputted to the L and R speakers. Recently i downloaded the demo from lets go eevee to the switch, and i found out that the cry sounds of Pokemon where also coming out of my rear speakers.

(it could be me but im quite certain this was not there at launch, i could only hear pikachus zippy zap move from the rear speakers in battles.)

Fast forward to November and the release of sword and shield, i was quite surprised and disappointed that the cry sounds of Pokemon where earily absent from the spacial sound(aka you cant really know if a Onix or another pokemon spawned behind you). The baffling part is the only part of the game that does output to my rear speakers was the cry's of pokemon when in a max raid battle and the pokemon is in gigantamax form.

The music? only outputting to L and R. Its such a missed opportunity, i mean the gym battles basically beg to have sound in the rear speakers when cheering for example.

Im not hating on Sword and Shield, i love the game so far. But this is something thats quite bothering me, especially since the "spacial" poke cry's where in lets go(at least they are now)

Also someone with Little Town hero with an actual surround sound system know if that game does have surround sound?

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
I feel like Switch games opt out of surround sound entirely or are quieter than their Xbox/PS counterparts if a surround sound mix is present. I guess it just comes with the territory.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. My receiver has an "all channel stereo" option so I always pick that for games like this that don't support proper surround.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
Well thats not true, Mario odyssey and breath of the wild and the just released luigi's mansion 3 have flawless surround sound.
Good to hear regarding Luigi's Mansion, planning on playing that soon :) Can't say I remember BoTW's or Odyssey's implementation though. But for most of the software I've played on the Switch I find myself bumping up the volume by 5-10dB 'cause I just can't hear anything.

The last game I played on it was Astral Chain and I don't even think that game had a surround mix :/

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
I feel like Switch games opt out of surround sound entirely or are quieter than their Xbox/PS counterparts if a surround sound mix is present. I guess it just comes with the territory.
Its definitely annoying, way too many games dont support it and like you said I usually have to crank up the volume much higher just to get them at the same level as any other game I play.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
Its definitely annoying, way too many games dont support it and like you said I usually have to crank up the volume much higher just to get them at the same level as any other game I play.
Yeah it's pretty frustrating but I've learned to live with it. I think the aux port still works when the Switch is plugged into the dock so I may just get a longer cord for my Audio-Technica headphones. I'll take a good stereo mix over a quiet surround mix any day.

off topic Disney is doing lately with their blu ray/4k disks now
Disney isn't putting surround mixes on their movies? Really? That's kinda weird.

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's pretty frustrating but I've learned to live with it. I think the aux port still works when the Switch is plugged into the dock so I may just get a longer cord for my Audio-Technica headphones. I'll take a good stereo mix over a quiet surround mix any day.

Disney isn't putting surround mixes on their movies? Really? That's kinda weird.
no i mean't the volume quieter then they used to been meaning you have to turn the volume up a few notches

OP
OP

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
Good to hear regarding Luigi's Mansion, planning on playing that soon :) Can't say I remember BoTW's or Odyssey's implementation though. But for most of the software I've played on the Switch I find myself bumping up the volume by 5-10dB 'cause I just can't hear anything.

The last game I played on it was Astral Chain and I don't even think that game had a surround mix :/
weird, i dont really need with my av reveiver. Its basically always at -35dB(45 in normal volume levels) on my yamaha. are you sure that your ps4 is outputting in Linear PCM and not Dolby?

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
Yeah, the audio in this game just feels so lifeless. Imagine going through the Wild Area and hearing Pokémon cries from all around you, with the sound of bagpipes coming from every speaker. Sadly, there's none of that here.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
weird, i dont really need with my av reveiver. Its basically always at -35dB(45 in normal volume levels) on my yamaha. are you sure that your ps4 is outputting in Linear PCM and not Dolby?

All my consoles are set to LPCM, I am not a fan of Dolby/DTS mixes (bombast with little substance IMO, but of course that depends on the engineer). Since my bedroom isn't so big I have 5 small bookshelf speakers that need more power, so I generally have my sound between -25 and -20dB. Really depends on some games, however. Gears 5, Halo 5, and God of War, for example, are loud enough that I fall back to -30dB. Those are games with a good audio mix IMO.

Some games, like Monster Hunter World, have a poor audio solution where I find it to be not loud enough and certain sound effects frequently overtake other sounds during gameplay. None of the in-game audio options help alleviate that :p

But I digress, it's always Switch games where I need to bump up my volume to -15 or -10dB. It's not too big of a deal, but I'd rather not get so close to 0dB lol. It's expected since the system is weaker and the power intake isn't always going to be consistent on a console like this, but it is kinda disappointing.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Borrowed a copy and even after the first 30 minutes you can tell the sound design and mixing is this is absolutely dismal. Some things just sound hilariously bad, it's kind of embarrassing. It's like ambience isn't even a concept recognised by the game. I doubt many people really care about the audio in a Pokemon game outside of the music though.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Should really be called Gamefreak and their lack of freedom of creativity.

I'm sure there's something dodgy going on where the staff aren't allowed to step too far out the box with these games. Not to say they're bad games (I'm enjoying playing Sword) but their lack of surround sound isn't the worst thing lacking in the series as a whole.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Uhh, this isn't really a Gamefreak thing...so many Switch titles lack surround sound. It's supremely common and always disappointing.

OP
OP

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
Uhh, this isn't really a Gamefreak thing...so many Switch titles lack surround sound. It's supremely common and always disappointing.
Well could be me of course, but most of my titles besides xenoblade 2 and astral chain and la noire all feature 5.1 audio.

But the weirdest part to me is that the game uses 5.1 audio but only the slowed down scary cry's when starting a max raid battle(and the cry when gigantamaxing your pokemon). But thats about it, even Let's go Pikachu and eevee features the crys of appearing pokemon in the grass and if a ratatta spawned behind me i would hear its cry in the rear left or rear right speaker.

Is it maybe lack of experience on gamefreaks part? They were a handheld developer since last year.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017

That's not even the main issue, the actual sound mixing and design is poor too. It's not a game where people are using crap headphones or 3DS speakers anymore. Compare it to the amount of care out into BoTW and Luigi's Mansion's sound design and it's a joke.

May 24, 2019
They quit on 3D when the 2DS came out, and now that the Lite means more and more people will only be using stereo, they probably don't see a point in a surround mix.

OP
OP

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
They quit on 3D when the 2DS came out, and now that the Lite means more and more people will only be using stereo, they probably don't see a point in a surround mix.
But what is the use to let the cry's during gigantamax battles go to the back channels only for it to be basically the only thing that uses the back speakers. I mean why go trough the trouble of placing those sounds to rear L and R when you could mix the entire game in stereo and be done with it, why go trough the extra work to do that.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I think this might be the only Pokemon game with any sort of purpose to positional audio given the way the wild area works; traditional Pokemon stuff doesn't gain much by way of ambient sounds in general, I'd say.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
And the Xbox' volume is waaaaaaaaaaaaay too loud. I always have to turn down the volume of my receiver whenever I boot up the Xbox. Even the Xbox logo is loud as fuck.

OP
OP

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
I think this might be the only Pokemon game with any sort of purpose to positional audio given the way the wild area works; traditional Pokemon stuff doesn't gain much by way of ambient sounds in general, I'd say.
true, thats why its so weird that its in lets go pikachuu and eevee and not in sword and shield.