• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
I think there is a power struggle, I think the events of have made if clear given a lot of insiders, the way they announced it suddenly. I think the article itself needs to have much more clarity given the positions of both Jim and Shawn. They talk about the clash of crossplay and streaming but this doesn't make much sense to me. I personally would have thought it would have been to do with the general direction of games focus and type of investment in titles given a change to what PS were at the start. The localization changes we've seen, the less focus on indie titles, greater emphasis on larger titles and that would also explain the discrepancies between third parties could make sense where you have some developers happy while others confused. Sony seems to have shifted the type of games they're focusing on right now. They're likely prioritizing their closer, larger third party titles more than the smaller ones this time around.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
reminds of the time where fans were calling the 3 simultaneously released reports about quantic dream fake news and calling into question the credibility of the writers and publishers of those articles.

It reminds me of the time when Deadly Premonition 2 was reported to be a timed exclusive only, and some fans attempted to downplay the site that the information came from and discourage the new news from being discussed.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Things seem to be...well, a bit rocky, to say the least.
tenor.gif

I wonder if medium/small 3rd party devs from Japan having to send their games to US Playstation for certification (with english documentation only) instead of the Japanese Playstation HQ was the first simptom of the struggle.

The timeline seems to fit if I remember correctly.
You wouldn't be wrong.
Certainly fits. Another thing that was dismissed by many people at the time too (because they liked the fact those games had to get another certification despite the rating boards already gave them another content rating), despite the concerns.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
The biggest concern to me is the lack of clarity for developers regarding the new console. Sony's had a history of power struggles and occasional lack of vision, but come out mostly fine as far as the games side goes. It's more concerning when those issues get in the way of 3rd party developers making games for the hardware.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
If the leaks about the PS5 are correct then devs won't need actual devkits until next year, giving rough specs would be enough at this time. So it makes sense that some bigger devs get prioritized for earlier kits.

Expect a much smoother transition this time than last time.

Hmmm still seems kinda late, but I guess we'll see!

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So we now have multiple people coming into this thread and saying that it's not completely BS and somewhat aligns with stuff they've heard and people are still dismissing it and accusing GameDaily of making stuff up?

Embarassing.
yeah some people on this site should really be deeply ashamed of the way they are responding to this interesting trade reporting

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
There is definitely something happening whether it will lead to good things or not remains to be seen. Next big Sony showing should be telling.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Now I'm worried. Is Playstation planning on purging more people? Is it the lack of communication? How will this affect first party?

I wouldn't worry about that at all TBH. They wouldn't be crazy enough to not clear those checks. My concern would be around messaging, corporate strategy in the industry, marketing, third party relations including exclusivity, etc.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have no doubt that PS5 is going to come out, be a powerful console, and (probably) sell well. Like, none of that seems to be the actual issue here for those who are coming into this thread, telling themselves there isn't some tangible problems when, by the looks of things, there clearly seems to be problems.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm still seems kinda late, but I guess we'll see!
I mean devs didn't even know that the PS4 had 8GB of RAM until the PS Meeting in Feb 2013.

This time its moving development from an x86 AMD API to an x86 AMD API that's already been developed to natively run the previous API. While not quite as simple it's close to the same as just setting a game to Ultra settings on PC versus Medium.

saiko

Nov 4, 2017
Seems like something is up at the very least but I'd wait to hear from a more reliable source.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is not good news for gaming, the industry is better with a strong PlayStation. I am hoping that they pull this all together so that the PS5 can be as strong as the PS4.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I mean devs didn't even know that the PS4 had 8GB of RAM until the PS Meeting in Feb 2013.

This time its moving development from an x86 AMD API to an x86 AMD API that's already been developed to natively run the previous API. While not quite as simple it's close to the same as just setting a game to Ultra settings on PC versus Medium.

Ah didn't know that. Well hopefully things go smooth.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017

I am going to do this one final time

There are no sources. He is literally using public statements as his source.

The only source apparently has nothing to do with Layden and Ryan fighting and more to do with the organization rejig.

Now lets try this also one final time - Please stop replying to me anymore. I am not interested in continuing this conversation with you. I dont care if this convinces you or not.

Zelus

Oct 27, 2017
This article is a whole lot of speculation with very little sourcing to back it up. Feel sorry for Shawn though. He was doing a good job
Yeah, there isn't really anything concrete to back it up. It's probably true though. Sounds like the typical corporate environment.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
This is not good news for gaming, the industry is better with a strong PlayStation. I am hoping that they pull this all together so that the PS5 can be as strong as the PS4.
And where you got that Playstation is not in a strong position? Do you think the regular consumer who bought almost 100 milion PS4 know about this situation and care?

They just bought Insomniac and nothing shows they are on the wrong direction...

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I am going to do this one final time

Now in ENGLISH - Please stop replying to me anymore. I am not interested in continuing this conversation with you. I dont care if this convinces you or not.
no, you just fundamentally don't understand the concept of background or anything about the way news stories are formatted or their standards. if you don't want to get replied to, stop writing ridiculous crap that throws journalists under the bus because you can't be bothered to understand the basics. don't even dare to fake outrage when you spout nonsense on a public forum and people call you out

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
The reaction to Sony news here is always interesting. So much immediate denial and/or dismissal.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And where you got that Playstation is not in a strong position? Do you think the regular consumer who bought almost 100 milion PS4 know about this situation and care?

They just bought Insomniac and nothing shows they are on the wrong direction...

What? I didn't say anything negative about Playstation's position or their trajectory. I just said that this situation isn't good news and I hope that it all works out.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
They still needed somebody for 3rd party and they still have a team. They even searched after a replacement for Boyes with job postings. People leaving and having no replacements happens. And regarding Shawn's replacement. Maybe Michael Denny, maybe Scott Rhode, maybe Hermen Hulst. Or maybe they simply won't have this position anymore and Shu as the president of SIE WWS is "enough".

Right, but either way the position that runs WWS is a far more integral position than Boyes' old position. 3rd party Production has basically done very little in the second half of the generation and it doesn't seem like SIE corporate really cares all that much. John Drake also recently just left. The only person of note still there is Gio Corsi. Sony will not procrastinate with Layden's replacement like they did with Boyes'. So either they just elevate and give the reign to Shuhei, or they'll bring someone in. Either way, I would think it's going to happen relatively quickly.

Oct 25, 2017
seems like a lot of concern trolling and baseless speculation due to this individual leaving. Must be a slow news day
The article and people who have been reliable here already explained that it's likely part of a larger scenario. Maybe try looking around.

Also way to downplay Shawn Layden unceremoniously leaving Sony as a slow news day.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
The reaction to Sony news here is always interesting. So much immediate denial and/or dismissal.

The article and people who have been reliable here already explained that it's likely part of a larger scenario. Maybe try looking around.

Its warranted when there's literally nothing to concern troll about and there's no insider info or anything being leaked or presented to back up such an article's content. If we actually had any information to go on that would be one thing, but its speculation for the sake of speculation.

Taking the article and "people who have been reliable", doesnt really hold much cred.

Then again, i never take must stock in the "what could X mean for X, X is doomed" shit.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (5 Days) - Platform Warring
Cancelling my last of us 2 pre order and already put up my ps4 on ebay.

People are desperate for sony bad news, sony winning this gen has really hurt some feelings.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Its warranted when there's literally nothing to concern troll about and there's no insider info or anything being leaked or presented to back up such an article's content.

Did you miss the posts in this thread from Imran, Zhuge and Matt where they all imply there's at least some truth in this piece?

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
no, you just fundamentally don't understand the concept of background or anything about the way news stories are formatted or their standards. if you don't want to get replied to, stop writing ridiculous crap that throws journalists under the bus because you can't be bothered to understand the basics. don't even dare to fake outrage when you spout nonsense on a public forum and people call you out

No one is calling me out. The only person calling me out here is someone with reading comprehension issues.

On topic - I hope things are okay there after the rejig. I hope Shawn lands on his feet in a new role hopefully gaming related.

Cancelling my last of us 2 pre order and already put up my ps4 on ebay.

People are desperate for sony bad news, sony winning this gen has really hurt some feelings.

No one is desperate for any bad news. Come on now.