• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So we now have multiple people coming into this thread and saying that it's not completely BS and somewhat aligns with stuff they've heard and people are still dismissing it and accusing GameDaily of making stuff up?

Embarassing.

No_Face

Dec 18, 2017
Brigerbad, Switzerland
Damn, so PS5's launch isn't developing too well, and also, Jim vs Andy, ouch. I saw a few heads turn when Jim took over and I hope he's not just some Peter Moore/John Riccitello type garbage-man who chases profits and cancels shit we like because it's not "THE MOST PROFITABLE IT COULD BE".
He's been at playstation for a long ass time now and I'm sure he knows fully well what kind of games the audience wants. I wouldn't worry about that.

And I doubt he's the one overseeing projects within WWS. He probably has a hand in studio management/aquisitions, but not individual titles. WWS will be just fine under Ryan.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The story to me reads like a lot of it is on background. It is not surprising that most sources wouldn't want to take even vague attribution, and I really doubt they would print with flimsy or light sourcing. It's also stuff that isn't new to this article. I've personally heard similar complaints.
sorry but i'd rather believe era posters who assure me this is nothing and everything is perfectly fine.

Why is everybody so dismissive of anything like this that comes out? Laydens term at this position was very short comparatively, and it happened seemingly abruptly. It's not doom and gloom, but it's definitely worth monitoring.
exactly. it isn't NOTHING, there has to be some stuff going on and a few people's insistence on shutting down conversation around it is frankly, weird.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
There are power struggles in companies all the time, especially when multiple divisions consolidate. You end up with overlap and middle management left without clear responsibilities and direction.

This is just a symptom of the changes that happened last year but it'll blow over and correct itself in time.
"One point where Layden and Ryan clashed on was cross-platform services, specifically cross-play. In an interview with Eurogamer from 2017, Ryan defended Sony's then-stance of not allowing cross-play, specifically Minecraft on PlayStation 4, saying the platform has "got to be mindful of our responsibility to our install base. Exposing what in many cases are children to external influences we have no ability to manage or look after, it's something we have to think about very carefully.""

Lmao, it was Jim Ryan who said that shit?
That could easily be corporate messaging agreed above Ryan at the time. I say a lot of things to customers in my job, but I'm mostly relaying the company messaging, after all I'm representing them and not myself in that situation.

HeavenlyE

Oct 27, 2017
Can I hear people's worst case scenario of what this article means because even if the article is 100% true I'm really not sure what the concern is

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Parts of the article certainly line up with things that I've heard about from multiple sources, so I'm hesitant to dismiss it. Can't really say more than that, and I want to stress that this is myself talking here - not any outlet I write for.

Edit: Something to note, is that there's an extraordinary amount of sensitive information about the situation, so it shouldn't come at any surprise that any such articles on it would err on the side of caution.
Interesting, thanks for the insight.
"One point where Layden and Ryan clashed on was cross-platform services, specifically cross-play. In an interview with Eurogamer from 2017, Ryan defended Sony's then-stance of not allowing cross-play, specifically Minecraft on PlayStation 4, saying the platform has "got to be mindful of our responsibility to our install base. Exposing what in many cases are children to external influences we have no ability to manage or look after, it's something we have to think about very carefully.""

Lmao, it was Jim Ryan who said that shit?
And Layden was the one saying developers were to blame for the lack of crossplay.
Same strategy, different excuses.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
We've had insiders like Benji (and others iirc) saying that devs are more positive for this next transition compared to the previous one, feels weird to read that now someone would be worried so idk

Both can be true.

Developers might be very happy with the systems technically.

Publishers might be anxious to see business terms for the new platform - and it's possible finalising terms has been delayed on Sony's end because of exec-level strategy debates/disagreements.

Or it's possible in a restructure that account managers have been switched around, responsibilities shifted, and while that transition goes on, those points of contact are less communicative than normal.

There could be many other variations on the above, that might make one side of things happy while another is nervous. However I would say that in both the above scenarios, at least, those are things that can be remedied quickly once decisions are made and/or teams are put in order.

---

Tying into Layden's departure, it could be related to above if he was on the losing end of an internal debate on direction, or felt he wasn't being heard, even if not directly linked to restructuring. [I'd venture to say it's happened before - at least I got that suggestion when Phil Harrison left, that partially at least, he felt he wasn't being heard in relation to breaking out with new interfaces for casual users etc.]

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Take your own advice and stop embarrassing yourself and READ - I said there are no sources to indicate that Layden and Ryan were at logger heads over cloud and cross play.
You said there are no sources. You were wrong. Please stop dragging interesting trade reporting into silly fanboy wars

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"Where there is smoke, there is fire" but it seems that with this apparently being a fire, people pretend to not even see smoke. "This is fine"
I don't think that Sony is in trouble or PS5 or whatever games their studios are working on but there is definitely something happening internally at Sony, like some people already have said.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, whole lotta people in denial in here
yep. i'm not saying there's anything too serious going on or that there should be any doom and gloom, but to pretend like this exit was ordinary and how it normally happens is just naive. i'm just curious to find out more, and considering his position i think most others would be curious to know more about the circumstances as well.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
It does. Adam Boyes left and they didn't have a successor for him in place either. Happens all the time.

It's going to vary from role to role. Sony didn't name a successor to Boyes because they essentially scrapped the entire initiative that Boyes was working on. Pub Fund is no more, there's been little to no partnerships with Indies in the last few years, his third party production team has been radio silent since he left, etc. In contrast, Sony has to have someone run WWS since that's their most successful arm within SIE. Maybe Shuhei gets elevated to that position or they'll bring someone else in, but either way there will be a replacement eventually. This is looking more and more like an abrupt departure for Layden. So I'm not surprised Sony didn't have someone already groomed to be his successor.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
So we now have multiple people coming into this thread and saying that it's not completely BS and somewhat aligns with stuff they've heard and people are still dismissing it and accusing GameDaily of making stuff up?

Embarassing.

because it implies things aren't great at Sony. Can't have that.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Well it's pretty clear something is going on at Sony. Probably not worth bedwetting over but curious indeed.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's going to vary from role to role. Sony didn't name a successor to Boyes because they essentially scrapped the entire initiative that Boyes was working on. Pub Fund is no more, there's been little to no partnerships with Indies in the last few years, his third party production team has been radio silent since he left, etc. In contrast, Sony has to have someone run WWS since that's their most successful arm within SIE. Maybe Shuhei gets elevated to that position or they'll bring someone else in, but either way there will be a replacement eventually. This is looking more and more like an abrupt departure for Layden. So I'm not surprised Sony didn't have someone already groomed to be his successor.
They still needed somebody for 3rd party and they still have a team. They even searched after a replacement for Boyes with job postings. People leaving and having no replacements happens. And regarding Shawn's replacement. Maybe Michael Denny, maybe Scott Rhode, maybe Hermen Hulst. Or maybe they simply won't have this position anymore and Shu as the president of SIE WWS is "enough".

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Both can be true.

Developers might be very happy with the systems technically.

Publishers might be anxious to see business terms for the new platform - and it's possible finalising terms has been delayed on Sony's end because of exec-level strategy debates/disagreements.

Or it's possible in a restructure that account managers have been switched around, responsibilities shifted, and while that transition goes on, those points of contact are less communicative than normal.

There could be many other variations on the above, that might make one side of things happy while another is nervous. However I would say that in both the above scenarios, at least, those are things that can be remedied quickly once decisions are made and/or teams are put in order.

Truth is if we go by this gen sometimes pubs\companies have no idea how thing are going to go or can reading the market wrong and worry .
Consoles selling good now but i think some people forget how the industry was before this start .
Where mobile and F2P games were suppose to take over even on consoles and the industry though they were not going to sell well.
A new gen always bring worries in some way or the other .

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
What exactly is the concern here?

For me it's the devs being nervous on the secrecy of next gen. I thought they said devkits went out but I guess only a select group has them right now?

For the record I DON'T think Shawn just randomly decided to leave Sony. The article posted still reads as speculative but there's definitely a reason why he left. Like Zhuge said I'm just waiting for something more concrete which should be coming eventually.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I wonder if medium/small 3rd party devs from Japan having to send their games to US Playstation for certification (with english documentation only) instead of the Japanese Playstation HQ was the first simptom of the struggle.

The timeline seems to fit if I remember correctly.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
What exactly is the concern here?
Curious about this as well, because i don't get it. Is a power change, yes. But the dev is concerned that it maybe will delay the dev-kits even further? If thats the case, yeah is bad because the devs needs time to know the console and optimize for it

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Yoshida is what Sony needs TBH. He's the man. Ryan strikes me as the type of dude locking up COD multiplayer modes for exclusivity. I could be wrong, just the vibe.

Oct 30, 2017
I have to echo the same sentiments. I don't think this struggle will have a dramatic effect in the end, but something is definitely off. I read the article with a grain of salt for sure, but I doubt anyone is going to publicly announce what's happening, so I don't want to immediately write off everything

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if medium/small 3rd party devs from Japan having to send their games to US Playstation for certification (with english documentation only) instead of the Japanese Playstation HQ was the first simptom of the struggle.

The timeline seems to fit if I remember correctly.

Yeah, there has been talk of Sony globalising and aligning everything which kind of matches up with that stuff.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's a concerted effort amongst some of the more hardcore fans to try and dismiss this out of hand and it's frankly embarrassing the lengths they are going to do to it. We have some calling this fake news, y'all parroting that alt right shit quick when you don't like the reporting, huh?
reminds of the time where fans were calling the 3 simultaneously released reports about quantic dream fake news and calling into question the credibility of the writers and publishers of those articles.

Patent

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jul 2, 2018
North Carolina
i think it would help if people stopped being so godamn vague and leaving stuff up to interpretation where people run both ways with it

Futterish

Half of F-Squared
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
One thing. People keep saying that the source in this story is a developer. It's not. It's someone placed high enough to have direct knowledge at a major third-party PUBLISHER.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For me it's the devs being nervous on the secrecy of next gen. I thought they said devkits went out but I guess only a select group has them right now?

For the record I DON'T think Shawn just randomly decided to leave Sony. The article posted still reads as speculative but there's definitely a reason why he left. Like Zhuge said I'm just waiting for something more concrete which should be coming eventually.
If the leaks about the PS5 are correct then devs won't need actual devkits until next year, giving rough specs would be enough at this time. So it makes sense that some bigger devs get prioritized for earlier kits.

Expect a much smoother transition this time than last time.

Simon-chan

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
There is no need for concern, everything will be fine and dandy once Sid Shuman is appointed new Chairman of SIE.
He will show us the way.

dRuOAbWw_400x400.jpg

Seriously though, I hope it's nothing major.