• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
I searched and didn't find a thread
MatPiscatella posted the top 10 NPD for Gamecube today
https://twitter.com/MatPiscatella/status/1072168524825522176
Since the folks at @EasyAllies asked about it in their recent podcast, here's the list of the top 10 best-selling games in the U.S. for the Nintendo GameCube. Fun list, led by Smash, Kart, Mario and Zelda. The more things change...
Top 10 + bonus
Code:
 1 Super Smash Brothers Melee
2 Mario Kart Double Dash
3 Supermario Sunshine
4 The legend of Zelda Windwaker
5 Luigis Mansion
6 Metroid Prime
7 Animal Crossing
8 Sonic Adventure 2
9 TLOZ Twilight Princess
10 Paper Mario Thousand Year Door
11 Mario Party 4 
18 Resident Evil 4

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
(I searched and I searched as I didn't find a thread).
Crazy how the first Sonic game on Nintendo hardware became the best-selling third party game on the thing. I wasn't really aware of all that back in the day, it must've been pretty novel.

Worthintendo

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised that Twilight Princess managed to make the top 10, I would have assumed that most people would have gotten it on the Wii instead of GC. Also interesting that RE 4 isn't higher, assumed that was one of the really big sellers for the system.

Also no Rogue Leader, kinda figured that would have been easily in the top 10 just due to how early on it came out.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Animal Crossing at 7 is surprising. Didn't know it did that well pre New Leaf

OP
OP
ashtaar

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
Sonic being the only 3rd party on the list was surprising,
RE4 being so far down, no wonder capcom abandoned the 4 for 4 or whatever it was called plan
I thought Mario Kart would have been number 1 though

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Holy shit Sonic Adventure.

Yup, that's accurate. Every kid I knew had that game. Also surprised that Twilight Princess was so high.

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
I wonder where Pikmin, Star Wars: Rogue Squadron, and Eternal Darkness all rank. Somewhere in the 11-18 range I'm guessing.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
I don't like the 2 third party games (one because of quality and the other style), but top notch list.

Missing titles to me are MGS:TTS and F-Zero GX (who probably is only in the Top 100 list...)

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
That's a great list of games.

Sonic being the only 3rd party on the list was surprising,
RE4 being so far down, no wonder capcom abandoned the 4 for 4 or whatever it was called plan
I thought Mario Kart would have been number 1 though

GameCube was weird in that Smash released unusually close to launch (only a few months after) whereas Mario Kart released unusually late in the system's lifecycle (over 2 years after launch).

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
RE4 is #18...

Happy-Clapping-To-Dramatic-WTF-Reaction-GIf.gif

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sonic Adventure 2 didn't deserve those kinds of sales. No wonder RE4 ported over to PS2.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
That's awesome Luigi's Mansion and Paper Mario did so well.

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
Well, i can say that list is pretty accurate based on my personal experience, i own all the games in it.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Top 5 are over 2 million.
Top 10 are over 1 million.

digit_zero

Oct 27, 2017
Twilight Princess being #9 actually surprises me considering the Wii cross generation release (which I think came first? I may be making that up) and how dead the console was by the time TP was released.

Oct 26, 2017
Sonic was the #1 selling 3rd-party game on GC, and I could not be happier and am not surprised in the slightest.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering how ridiculously difficult it was to find a Wii during holiday 2006 and throughout 2007, TP's ranking isn't all that surprising.

Oct 26, 2017
It would have been in the Top 20 from my data. Along with Super Monkey Ball 2 and Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II. Good console for sequels that start with "S".

By units, there are three Sonic games in the Top 20.

Yep, Sonic Mega Collection and Sonic Heroes (I think are the other two) also did really well predictably (pretty sure SADX did really well too). Folks wonder why Sonic got numerous Nintendo exclusives and even the exclusivity deal on Wii U and 3DS. Nintendo fans LOVE Sonic. It was always fact that Sonic sold most on Nintendo hardware, and if any sold more on PS2, it would've been due to its sheer install base difference of I believe 6:1 against GameCube.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Pleasantly surprised to see Sonic Adventure 2 in the Top 10. That game is legitimately decent and I had a lot of fun with it as a kid.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's a weird thing, it's a consensus top 10 all time that has been ported to everything yet it's overall sales aren't that impressive overall or even within the series.
Capcom announcing a PS2 version before the GameCube version was even out certainly put a hamper on its sales, before then alot of people were considering a GCN

Last edited:

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Dang no Pokémon Channel? That game was GCs real killer app! Animal Crossing oughta be higher. I wonder if PSO ep1&2's even in the Top 50...

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Pleasantly surprised to see Sonic Adventure 2 in the Top 10. That game is legitimately decent and I had a lot of fun with it as a kid.
The game released early on in the Gamecube's life in February 2002 and was quite the novelty at the time being a mainline Sonic game on a Nintendo system. It had a really long run at the $20 price too.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
always nice to see the GOAT at its rightful place on top

looks like switch might actually be the next nintendo console to have smash as its best selling game if these launch numbers have legs.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I remember seeing old NPD numbers where RE4 had gotten reasonably close to 1 million in the US, if not above the mark. Can anyone corroborate? (I could be confusing it with the PS2 version)

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
It's a weird thing, it's a consensus top 10 all time that has been ported to everything yet it's overall sales aren't that impressive overall or even within the series.
PS2 version sold about 65% more than the Gamecube release in the US.
I remember seeing old NPD numbers where RE4 had gotten reasonably close to 1 million in the US, if not above the mark. Can anyone corroborate? (I could be confusing it with the PS2 version)
Gamecube version is under a million. PS2 version is over by a good amount. Wii version is also over a million.

Last edited:

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Looks about right.

Damn, I didn't realize RE4 did that badly on GCN. Shameful.

I wonder where the Pikmin games place.

Apr 21, 2018
Weird to think ARMS and Mario Tennis Aces would already be high up on that list.

SSBU ultimate will sell enough in a few months to top that list.