• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
May 15, 2018
Denmark
Getting rid of a lot of my stuff, and I stumbled upon on my old gamecube.
It's the cutest little thing... but are there any practical reasons for keeping it around in 2019?
iu

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
Unless you're planning on using it, why not sell it? Or you can always pick up a Wii and use that to play Gamecube and Wii games.

Pororoka

Nov 1, 2017
MX
I also have one and I'm still wondering what can I do with it since I lost all my games in the moving.
Purple one FTW!

Yesterday

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dolphin is good enough that I just keep mine because it was my childhood system. If it has no nostalgic value to you just sell it

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Play games on it? Rip the discs and play them in dolphin?

Can't do much else since it can't play movies or music.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Aside from the obvious "play Gamecube games", you can use it to play GBA games on your TV with the Gameboy player. There's even plenty of methods to get it to play nice with HDTVs these days that don't involve shelling out for those expensive component cables.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you use it and aren't just emulating those old games, I'd keep it.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Unless you're planning on using it, why not sell it? Or you can always pick up a Wii and use that to play Gamecube and Wii games.
Wii doesn't have as good of outputs as the GCN does if you can find it's component cable.

That said, if anyone doesn't have a use, going to the buy-sell thread here will likely find a 'good' owner who'll use it and take care of it versus dropping it off at a pawn shop or craigslist.

Jun 2, 2019
It's still the best way of playing GameCube games in dedicated hardware in 2019, if you get either a hdmi adapter like Carby or a scaler like OSSC.

It also has the last rogue squadron games and outputs surround sound.

Also its a cute little piece of hardware that looks beautiful no matter what color it is

Oh yeah I forgot, best way of playing gba games

Also is it the pearl white one? KEEP IIT

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
No.
Any PC from the last few years will run Dolphin (which has near universal compatibility right now) and you really don't need the cube itself anymore.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
I have an extensive Gamecube collection but I'm thinking of flipping it

All my family has left, none of my friends are interested, and I dont have any kids to play with

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
There's still a lot of exclusives that haven't been released anywhere else (Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, Smash Melee, and Eternal Darkness come to mind). Also you can play Gameboy Advance games if you get the add-on if that interests you. Overall, I still think there's value to having one still.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I just sold mine on Mercari. With a Wii and a Retron 5 for GB I just have no practical use for one anymore. They're still weirdly in demand in my area though. I guess people really want GBA Players (which are like $100 min. for a complete one)

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I was wondering the same thing. I have mine just sitting out under my Tv. How much could u possibly sell an old console for?

OP
OP
SquirrelSaysNuts
May 15, 2018
Denmark
I should say it's not a picture of mine but a European pearl white without its matching controller - so not quite the rarity.

With emulators on a pc connected to the tv that seems covered.
Maybe ripping of games requires a gamecube?
I do have a wii that supports gamecube discs, but I wouldn't play on that since it requires the using the wiimote navigating into the game... too fiddly.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I just sold mine on Mercari. With a Wii and a Retron 5 for GB I just have no practical use for one anymore. They're still weirdly in demand in my area though. I guess people really want GBA Players (which are like $100 min. for a complete one)
Gamecube is coming up on its time in the retro spotlight. A lot of the kids that grew up with it as one of their their first consoles are getting disposable income and are wanting to get that hit of nostalgia. Same thing happened with the NES, SNES and N64 over the past decade and a half.

With emulators on a pc connected to the tv that seems covered.
Maybe ripping of games requires a gamecube?
I do have a wii that supports gamecube discs, but I wouldn't play on that since it requires the using the wiimote navigating into the game... too fiddly.
Not sure how easy it is with a Gamecube, but it's super easy to rip Gamecube games on a Wii, especially since you can rip directly to a portable HDD.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
How many GameCube games have been ported to modern consoles? There's your reason. While emulation and hacking does exist, not everyone cares to go that route. Look into HDMI mods/adapters to makes it usable with modern displays.

Last edited:

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
The Gamecube is great but it's super expensive to get up and running properly.

It's about $75+ for an HDMI cable off of Ebay. The hardware is open source now so it's cheaper than it used to be thankfully. The one I bought can be finicky about being connected all the way and having audio output but is fine once it's working.

It's anywhere from $50-$100+ for the Gameboy Player with disc.

Wavebirds aren't cheap and I think I paid like $40 for mine?

There are tons of Gamecube games that are forever stuck on the system but plan to spend like $20 minimum for each game and it goes up to like $100 or more for stuff like Skies of Arcadia.

OP
OP
SquirrelSaysNuts
May 15, 2018
Denmark
It's about $75+ for an HDMI cable off of Ebay. The hardware is open source now so it's cheaper than it used to be thankfully. The one I bought can be finicky about being connected all the way and having audio output but is fine once it's working.

Wavebirds aren't cheap and I think I paid like $40 for mine?
Unfortunately, it's a version without the digital port, so no carby for me.

I will never part with my wavebirds. :-)

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Its not worth keeping around, unless you have some retro setup to play games on it. If you plan on connecting it to a HDTV, then you need to invest in one of the HDMI adapters. The dolphin emulator, and a modified Wii u are other alternatives to playing gamecube games these days.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It's anywhere from $50-$100+ for the Gameboy Player with disc.
The GameBoy Player disc is garbage considering how much it costs. Better off using the GBP with an Action Replay + GameBoy Interface for much cheaper. People sell the GBP for super cheap if it doesn't have the disc so people should try to go that route.

Oct 27, 2017
I have one I plan to use with my 24 cathodic TV. I have a handful of games I've yet played, such as paper Mario and Path of Radiance. Granted, it would be the same with my Wii...

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Gamecube is coming up on its time in the retro spotlight. A lot of the kids that grew up with it as one of their their first consoles are getting disposable income and are wanting to get that hit of nostalgia. Same thing happened with the NES, SNES and N64 over the past decade and a half.

I don't exactly live in a well to do city so I'm guessing it has more to do with the $50 price tags versus anything more expensive than that.

5olid_5nake

Oct 30, 2017
Is it possible to play Eternal Darkness with all of it's "4-th wall" stuff on dolphin? Or do you need to play it on GC to experience it as it's meant to be?

Never played it, but this thread sparked this thought of mine that I had for quite some time.