• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
MRORANGE

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
ETA prime did a teadown of the device:

• IPS 2.8" 320x240 screen
  • Screen is removable, may allow other screens to be put in.
  • Battery life 3-4 hours with 3 AA
  • You might be able to mod it to use rechargeable instead.
  • Same SNES membrane for buttons

Last edited:

jtc276

Apr 20, 2019
Does anyone know where you can purchase this from tomorrow? I'm not seeing a pre-order on Amazon or their website.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I'm so tempted, but the Pi Zero is just so puny. It's hard to justify when I just bought the Bittboy. I feel like I'd rather save the money and buy a full-size case with a Pi 3 in it

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
Retroflag commented on their FaceBook post. It's available at the end of May and there is no pre-orders

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
I'll wait for a rechargeable battery mod.

But it looks really good.

I'll need to do some testing and see how the zero handles NeoGeo now days.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
This looks absolutely amazing and it's hard not to want to bite at it instantly.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Christ I can't imagine how badly my hands would ache playing a gameboy now as opposed to 20 years ago. Cool idea but whew definitely not for me
Believe it or not, the original GB is still quite comfy. The thickness of the system helps a lot. It feels a lot better than any DS system (aside from 2DS which is top for comfort).

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Lon did a review too:

Worrying that both of them mention audio static, both through the in-built speaker and headphones. Otherwise it looks really nice.

This is something in Pi on some images. Theres a white noise fix thats a line of code for it. Pretty much cut and paste it where the instructions for it say on sites and your good to go.

Also LCL Pi Boy used a Raspberry Pi 3b. Theres already more powerful 6 button gameboy pi out there. Plus with sticks so you can functionally play n64 without a severe lack of controls.

kW35ezh.jpg

Without a stick thered be no playing Mario 64 and you couldn't get specials in No Mercy etc etc etc.

Nov 4, 2017
People waiting for battery mods, why not just use rechargable AA batteries?
Rechargeable batteries often only supply 1.2V rather than the nominal 1.5V of a standard AA. When you're running three of them in series, you wind up at 3.6V instead of 4.5V. This is 20% lower than the expected voltage, which could damage some devices (or simply fail to work). Rechargeables are also prone to voltage drop as they discharge or when they get old.

At least, that's why I'd be concerned.

Last edited:

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
This looks great, hope they do another case with the same screen but with the Sega Nomad form factor.

Paradax

Jun 1, 2018
I'm interested, but I have a question. What systems could a Pi Zero emulate reasonably well with a 240p screen?

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Rechargeable batteries often only supply 1.2V rather than the nominal 1.5V of a standard AA. When you're running three of them in series, you wind up at 3.6V instead of 4.5V. This is 20% lower than the expected voltage, which could damage some devices (or simply fail to work). Rechargeables are also prone to voltage drop as they discharge or when they get old.

At least, that's why I'd be concerned.
Should be fine.
Its standard alkaline batteries that drop as they're closer to depletion.

Alkaline battery have a voltage of around 1.5 – 1.6v off the shelf, but alkaline batteries have a sloped discharge curve, their voltage drops over the life time of the battery until the battery is not usable, hence an voltage of a alkaline battery quickly drops to around 1.25v under actual load, and around 1v when its almost discharged

http://www.rechargebatteryguide.com...v-battery-but-rechargeable-batteries-are-1-2v

Green

Oct 27, 2017
I want this so bad. The price is right, and it looks like a fun project to put together. My only issue is it not using the better Pi boards for emulating GBA or SNES.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
This is something in Pi on some images. Theres a white noise fix thats a line of code for it. Pretty much cut and paste it where the instructions for it say on sites and your good to go.

Also LCL Pi Boy used a Raspberry Pi 3b. Theres already more powerful 6 button gameboy pi out there. Plus with sticks so you can functionally play n64 without a severe lack of controls.

kW35ezh.jpg

Without a stick thered be no playing Mario 64 and you couldn't get specials in No Mercy etc etc etc.

What am I looking at? Portable n64? Link???

murmelbahn

Feb 20, 2018
I'm so excited about this. Does anyone know if they said anything new to the release date? I'm kn europe and hopefully its possible to get one as fast as possible.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why anyone would want this. If you want to play all of these games on the go you can just buy a 3DS and a get the same but much much more. If you want retro styling you're better off getting an actual gameboy.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I don't understand why anyone would want this. If you want to play all of these games on the go you can just buy a 3DS and a get the same but much much more. If you want retro styling you're better off getting an actual gameboy.
3DS doesnt play GBA games through. And a actual gameboy has all the disadvantages of a gameboy, compared to today.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
3DS doesnt play GBA games through. And a actual gameboy has all the disadvantages of a gameboy, compared to today.
It definitely does, it's just not optimized. A Gameboy Color or Gameboy pocket modded to have a backlight is perfectly usable modern hardware, and costs either the same to much less than this, with the added benefit of not looking like the old Tiger electronics.

I guess it's just not for me.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
It definitely does, it's just not optimized. A Gameboy Color or Gameboy pocket modded to have a backlight is perfectly usable modern hardware, and costs either the same to much less than this, with the added benefit of not looking like the old Tiger electronics.

I guess it's just not for me.
I agree on the design of this, but A Gameboy Color and a Pocket cant play GBA and in case of the Pocket GBC games and have you carry around cardridges.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree on the design of this, but A Gameboy Color and a Pocket cant play GBA and in case of the Pocket GBC games and have you carry around cardridges.
Right, but if you need to play GBA that badly either a backlit GBA or a 3DS is a better choice. And if you're okay with going through the process to get all of these games onto GPi, you obviously also have methods to pretty easily get a single cartridge that holds every Game Boy/Color game you could possibly want, yeah?