• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Great Greed remains one of the weirdest RPGs I've ever played

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
Never heard of that game, sounds super interesting! Thank you for your impressions! Is it playable without being able to read japanese?

Idk it's been a long time since I played it.

Prolly not.

I remember the game as a whole being kinda confusing tbh. I understand Japanese and I had a hard time figuring out wtf I was supposed to do. For example all my family members would always be in a bad mood, and I'd have no idea why lol.

I found some gameplay footage if you want to see what it looks like:

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Gameboy was home to a lot of ambitious arcade ports (T2 the Arcade Game, anyone?) but i think this was my favorite odd cartridge i owned

getaway,%20the.jpg

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Screw the SNES, this thread makes me want the next Switch online console to be the Game Boy.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
46361_front.jpg

Loved this game as a kid, had no idea it was related to Castlevania.
SO GOOD. If you still own it, it is one of the most sought after gameboy games by collectors. I've seen copies go for hundreds.

Mine was power quest. I bought it while on an exchange trip to france, before I knew about region locking. Thankfully the GBC was region free.

It was one of those early pokemon ripoffs in the young kids with battling monsters/robots genre. Very bare bones. Only one town, and only 6 characters to fight as. The main hook was that it was a pretty solid fighting game where y9ou bought upgraded parts for your controllable robot to upgrade them. Never beat it. The difficulty spike was insane.

ROMASS

One Winged Slayer
Oct 15, 2018
Wanted to buy this after reading about it in a magazine:
Dinosaur%27us_cover.jpg

A mix between scrolling platform and Pokémon like battles.
Bought this instead by mistake:
220px-Disnosaur.jpg

It was kinda shitty, and it was possible to get stuck by entering a level without reviving items and no characters indispensable for it, forcing you to restart the whole game.
To this day, I've yet to play the other one.

Last edited:

EmptyWarren

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I also owned the Mahjong game Shanghai for some odd reason. I'm a white kid in Canada in the late 80s, I had no idea what Mahjong is, so it took me a while to figure out how to play it. It was a gift, and to this day I don't quite understand why they picked that for a 7 year old kid.

But are you able to play it in Yakuza? THEN ITS A WIN. I've watched tutorials and I still don't get it.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
Great thread. I really enjoyed looking at the Game Boy shelves back in the day because there was always so much weird stuff coming out.

I had the Game Boy version of Puzzle Bobble/Bust-a-Move. A colour-matching game for a monochrome system. It got around that glaring limitation by putting different patterns on the bubbles, which kind of worked if you had ideal lighting and excellent vision.

Also Stranded Kids/Survival Kids. Fairly sought after nowadays, I think. It's about a couple of kids on a desert island, trying to survive, and has a really cool open-ended structure. I bought it based on a very positive review in N64 Magazine, which also led to me discovering Warlocked, James Bond and Metal Gear Solid – they had a good eye for a Game Boy gem.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Oh gosh, I don't remember the name of this game, but my friend gave it to me when he was getting rid of his GB games. The title had something to do with a Sword (helpful, I know). It was a really early GB game, it was an adventure game with RPG elements. I believe it was first-person and had commands like go North, etc.

It's not super obscure, I think I've seen it mentioned on Era once, but nobody irl knows about it.
It wasn't great, but it scratched my non-Pokemon JRPG itch on handheld.

Edit: Found it in my collection, it's called Sword of Hope.

Magi-Nation was a game I found it turned out to be a pretty decent rpg. Kind of unfinished like it got rushed at the end but I haven't ever heard much about it since.
I remember seeing ads for this game in Nintendo Power! Super cool ads that almost sold me on the game, but I never got to play it.

Sahasrahla

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kakariko
The other day I found Spider-Man 2 outside on the sidewalk. Saw the LJN Seal of Quality on it and decided I have to protect the innocent and take it into my possession. What can I say, it fulfilled my expectations! Oh well, at least it made me re-buy a Super Game Boy (which are surprisingly cheap). So I guess I'm going to pick up some GB games again soon, don't have the one's from my childhood anymore.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
bubble%20ghost.jpg

Bubble Ghost
I remember playing this weird little game to death as a kid. You control the titular ghost as you seek to help him blow a very fragile bubble through a mansion full of bubble-popping obstacles. It was actually quite fun, if frustrating. Beating the game felt very rewarding once I was eventually able to.

gb_flipull_p_fsyrd9.jpg

Flipull
I barely even remember this super obscure puzzle game or its mechanics, but I definitely had it and apparently it was "totally cube-ular fun," which certainly counts for something.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
gb_popeye_2_ii_p_16r0za.jpg

I loved this game so much. I don't think I ever got that far into the game though. Still have it around my house somewhere. My GB was pretty much Bubble Bobble (reminded me of Godzilla/Barney/Dinos), Popeye, Pokemon and Mario along with some random other games.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I love this thread.

I own Fist of the North Star for the Gameboy and I have no idea why. I'd never heard of the property at the time. Was it a gift? Did I see a fighting game on Gameboy and want it because SFII was huge at the time? Who knows, I was too young to remember.

What I do remember is that years later, the FotNS live action movie was on regular TV for some reason, I didn't even know what the movie was called, but as it progressed and I picked up on character's names I was like wait a minute.... WAIT A MINUTE!

Ha, relatable. Fist of the North Star came to the west so oddly around that time -- I remember my trajectory was the terrible NES game (also not knowing it was based on anything), then the live-action movie, then the anime.

Also, folks who are enjoying this thread: You should really check out Jeremy Parish's in-depth Game Boy Works YouTube series, if you haven't already.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I had so much fun trading wizards with my friends. Apparently it's like Pokemon? I'm not 100% positive but I think It's RNG which ones appear in your game.

Yeah! There was that trade feature and a vs mode I played with my brother a lot. I think our games had different wizards from one another but I have no idea how the game decided which ones each of us would get. It must've just been totally rng.

Morrowbie

Oct 28, 2017
Hoo boy this is fun. Oddities I had included:

Chase HQ - an extremely basic version of the arcade game
The Flash - very poor tie in with the 90s TV show. Doesn't let you run for more than a few seconds before Barry needs to eat to replenish his energy.
Gremlins 2 - I couldn't get past level 2

Man, I just remembered Wario Blast was a thing. Loved that.

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
monstermaxtitle.jpg

Does this count as an oddity? It's a Rareware gem. Game had an incredible soundtrack.

Never seen anyone else really mention it.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lil Monsters.

This weird Monster Raising game (more Digimon than Pokemon) with obtuse systems involving gems and playing cards.

Never figured it out.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
i am not sure where i got this or why i played it so much it wasn't very good

b6LFsNN.jpg

it was an arcadey thing where you ran around getting stuff on a single screen maze while stuff chased you type game

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
No idea if it's considered good by anyone else, but this was somehow the only Ultima game I played growing up:

Ru1.jpg

It's kind of a weird RPG/sokoban hybrid, with multiple playable characters and several puzzle dungeons to work through. I liked it a lot as a kid; probably wouldn't like it as much now.

46361_front.jpg

Loved this game as a kid, had no idea it was related to Castlevania.

Same. Loved this game, but didn't realize it was a stealth Castlevania game until someone mentioned it as such on Retronauts.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Fist of the North Star

Fucking terrible game ugh. But at least I can say I played this terrible game.

Snoopy's Magic Show

Actually a pretty decent little puzzle action game with great music. For the price (<$10 in the 1992) I have no regrets.

Revenge of the Gator

It's one of those pinball games. It's a pretty good one that's still fun to play. Weird theme though.

People that got fucking Kid Dracula by accident hit the fucking jackpot. Never had that game but I'd been playing it recently holy shit it's great.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I own Fist of the North Star for the Gameboy and I have no idea why. I'd never heard of the property at the time. Was it a gift? Did I see a fighting game on Gameboy and want it because SFII was huge at the time? Who knows, I was too young to remember.

What I do remember is that years later, the FotNS live action movie was on regular TV for some reason, I didn't even know what the movie was called, but as it progressed and I picked up on character's names I was like wait a minute.... WAIT A MINUTE!

I got FotNS because it was cheap as heck. Yeah it wasn't until I rented the anime in 1997 that I learned what the game was really about.

snoopy_magic_show_box__30003.1395864262.jpg

I know Charlie Brown/Peanuts is popular, but I never met another person who owned this but me. My Grandmother, bless her heart mistook Super Mario Land 2 for this. I still played it.

Lots of SMS owners here judging by this tread.

Nov 1, 2017
This thread is giving me memory whiplash, not so much because I played all these games but I remember seeing/hearing about them. Be it in comics, Nintendo Power, commercials or what have you.

I use to play my Gameboy with a plugged in power battery since batteries were so damn bloody annoying and continually costly. Played games like Final Fantasy Legend II which I loved, Robocop which I liked quite a bit, a Mickey Mouse game that I'm all but certain we got by mistake in the place of another game but I kept it. You threw boxes like Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers.

I ended up giving Robocop to a pair of cousins that visited once.

Bobcat Fancy

Jul 21, 2019
Humans.

I never see anyone talk about this game, even though it released on many platforms, not just GB.

It's so good, too. Have no idea how I got it, but I played it a lot in the early 90's.

46312_back.jpg
I think I had this on the PC when I was young! I don't think I played it much,

Otherwise, I, too, was a Kid Dracula... Kid. We had a pea green gameboy and it was lost along with that game... we got other gameboys later but her replaced that game.
i am not sure where i got this or why i played it so much it wasn't very good

b6LFsNN.jpg

it was an arcadey thing where you ran around getting stuff on a single screen maze while stuff chased you type game
I love this tasmanian tiger. 😤

Survivortype

May 2, 2018
Van City
Yeah! There was that trade feature and a vs mode I played with my brother a lot. I think our games had different wizards from one another but I have no idea how the game decided which ones each of us would get. It must've just been totally rng.
I rmb there were dragons as well. Think those were also completely randomly generated as well.

The VS. mode was pretty fun too. One of my frds had the plague wizard. His magic is a dot that spreads when the unit that's afflicted dies. OP as fuck.

Horned Reaper

Nov 7, 2017
220px-RevengeoftheGator_frontcover.png

I normally don't like pinball games, but this one was pretty fun and had some cool bonusses for a pinball game from what I remember.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Beautiful, I just love when nintendo does clear or translucent casings! What exactly does it differently from the standard Super Game Boy?

Biggest difference is that it has the GB clock in it, rather than getting its clock signal from the SNES like the original model. The clock mismatch makes games run slightly fast on the original model, and also means that it can't support link cable operations.

MoosetheMark

May 3, 2019
One of my favorite Game Boy games that never gets any love is James Bond 007:

gb_jamesbond007_front.jpg

It was a top-down action RPG, essentially Link's Awakening with guns and a James Bond skin. It told a cool, globetrotting original story with plenty of classic villains and had nifty gambling minigames to boot.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Do peripherals count? I owned this magnifier glass thing with speakers that I hooked up to the gameboy color and had a light for the screen too... it was actually pretty helpful.

OP
OP
Chas Hodges

Chas Hodges

Nov 7, 2017
So many great games in here - super keen to check some of the more obscure ones out! I like to think I have a good working knowledge of most game libraries, but the GB was so vast, it's amazing how much stuff slipped through the net.

Tandemo

Oct 28, 2017
Little_Nicky_Coverart.png

My mother picked this up for me on a trip to new york (I live in Ireland and it never came to pal territories)
I got it a few years before I ever saw movie so a lot of its story and characters was completely lost on me.
It was weird little game but had really ambitious production values for a GBC title

Oct 28, 2017
Oh gosh, I don't remember the name of this game, but my friend gave it to me when he was getting rid of his GB games. The title had something to do with a Sword (helpful, I know). It was a really early GB game, it was an adventure game with RPG elements. I believe it was first-person and had commands like go North, etc.

It's not super obscure, I think I've seen it mentioned on Era once, but nobody irl knows about it.
It wasn't great, but it scratched my non-Pokemon JRPG itch on handheld.

Edit: Found it in my collection, it's called Sword of Hope.
I played through that game! It even had a (bad) German translation. It had an interesting atmosphere in some places and was kind of a mix between Shadow Gate and a generic jrpg. I remember the battle music - which was like 4 notes long on loop and you hear it a LOT - almost driving me insane.

Btw there is a (arguably better) sequel which is on the 3DS e-shop!

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Posted about NES Deja Vu in another thread then remembered there was a GBC port of it and the second game. It's a great adventure game, from the people who made Shadowgate and The Uninvited.

gbc-s-231_f.jpg