• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
GTA IV $60 + $20 next day air shipping + tax.

I couldn't get into it and thought it looked like an aliased mess.
Interesting. I played it on ps3 at launch and thought it was my favorite at the time. Loved the driving and AI and the character hit close to home a bit and the missions were fun. Thought it was nextgen at the time. Always interesting to see folks didn't like it.

saintjules

Dec 20, 2019
Deathloop recently. It's actually the reason why I will now wait for sales to some games. FPS isn't my first genre of choice.

Played 2 hours and haven't been back to it. I'll probably sit with again at some point.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Recently? Shin Megami Tensei V. As a fan of the series I'm not thrilled with it and if I would have waited a few weeks I could have gotten it for $36
Tbh, I'm not mad about giving Atlus my money even if I'm very disappointed in the game.

There are games I know I probably won't enjoy that much but buy on release anyway because I'm an idiot (namely a bunch of multiplayer Nintendo stuff where I convince myself the singleplayer experience will totally be worth it this time but it's not (Smash Bros, Mario Kart, etc)).

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Mass Effect Andromeda and Anthem. Definitely learned to be extremely cautious with anything from Bioware going forward after those two games. My love for the original ME trilogy kind of lulled me into just giving Andromeda a chance despite the red flags before release. Then for Anthem it was kind of the same way because I love loot shooters and Anthem had all the makings of a good loot shooter from the outside. I even played the alpha and beta and had a good time with the combat, but it was hard to tell what the full game would be like. Needless to say, the full game was completely empty and uninspired. My opinion of Bioware took a huge hit last gen.

Brink is another one from the 360/PS3 era that I regret. Bought into the hype for it and so did a handful of my friends. We played it for a few nights then just traded it in because it was so disappointing.

Avengers would've been on there too but thankfully I got a free copy from a promo Verizon did. Although despite its many flaws, I enjoyed that game enough that I don't really regret putting time into it. I would've regret paying full price if I actually did though.

Last edited:

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
guild wars 1 nightfall, eye of the north, etc, i got them cause a friend was into them and i wanted to play something that didn't have a sub (i was under 18 at the time and didn't have a credit card. One of them was 60 or 70 bucks, which was a lot at the time as far as bday money. Later on I would buy GW2 at its launch because i thought it looked good, but i didn't play it for more than a week. I should probably not have purchased any of these.

.. I also enjoyed WoW Burning Crusade and Lich King at their launches but in hindsight i kinda wish i played WoW more THEN, at THAT TIME, than going for GW just due to a friend playing. It is whatever though.

On the other side of the spectrum, I remember really not being into the prince of persia reimagining (with the paint pastel art style), i didn't buy it or want it....but i got it from my brother as an xmas gift the year it came out and it was really fun for me.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
As as a Kid I paid for Phantasy Star Online because I wanted the Sonic Adventure 2 demo. I didn't even have an internet connection back then, so I couldn't play PSO properly.

GundamStyle

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I don't know why but I was itching like a fiend to see far cry (the original) running on ps3. Bought it on release from psn and never finished the first mission. I donno what was going on in my head but I was in some mode of "i have to see this running" from the stories of pc games not being able to port well on ps3. It is a good port. 20 euros spent so I can tell you the first level runs exactly like on pc.

Oct 27, 2017
Lately SMT5 because the story is not what I wanted, it's good but it went $25 off in 3 weeks when I didn't think it would

all time tho? Idk I try to avoid duds but Star fox zero was so bad I traded it in the next day after launch for a loss after forcing myself to play 60% if it.

Oct 31, 2017
Final fantasy XII. I just couldn't deal with the combat.
I bought the digital deluxe death stranding at release and still haven't played it. Add another $10 for director's cut. Haven't regretted it yet.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
i won some gift cards on another forum i used to post and then right after redeeming them i decided to check what was around the xbox store
that day i preordered mass effect andromeda and final fantasy XV.
you can't be more cursed than this

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Demon Souls Remake.

I sold my PS5 to a cousin of a friend, so the cousin gift it to his child (proof was shown too), so I have nothing to play it on ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Last edited:

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Full price recent memory? It'll probably have to be Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition & the sequel on Switch. I just can't get into them yet and both practically cost me 200 dollars combined due to how the retail copies for 2 are scarce now.

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
Basically, any game I bought, and either didn't touch or barely played before a steep discount. Did that with Gravity Rush 2 and The Last Guardian last gen, ended up playing and enjoying them but well after release. I try not to make the same mistake nowadays, definitely have less desire to be there on day one for most games which helps.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Gears of War 2 - enjoyed the first game, bought the second one Day One if memory serves, took it home, loaded it up, 5 mins in I realised I had played all the Gears of War I could ever want to already with the first one. Kept it in case I ever wanted to but 13 or so years later, I've still played all the Gears of War I ever wanted with the first one.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
<insert hugely popular game that most people love, but I'm going to pretend is literally the worst game ever to be edgy or contrarian or some shit>

I bought APB at launch. It was during my "I gotta try every MMO phase" and it ended up being a genuinely horrible game that was shut down a few months later.

I didn't learn my lesson, because I did the exact same with a bunch of other MMOs, including Defiance, which was also horrible.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
valheim. only $20 and I sort of had some fun with it, but I just can't get in to survival games.
maybe Mass Effect 3 (and 1 and 2) because I bought them as a package for like $70 when ME3 released and only played ME3 multiplayer with friends lol. Waiting for Legendary Edition to drop on Game Pass/EA Play to maybe give it a full play through

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
Some real hot takes in here wew

Evolve for me. Not only that, I convinced two of my friends to do the same. 😬

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
Watch Dogs Legion. Mainly cos it was half price maybe 3 weeks after launch and I hadn't even played it yet.

Also I bought Borderlands 3 + all DLC at launch and yeah that was a waste of cash.

Irnbru

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Forza Horizon 5 recently, I should've just gotten a a GP for a month. Like the mechanics aren't bad, but as a latino the in games stories and stuff are just 🤢. shouldn't have bought the full edition or w/e

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
The original God of War. It's the only game I've ever sold back to the store cause I was upset my money went towards the people responsible for this game.

Oct 25, 2017
GTA4
No Man's Sky
Astral Chain, even bought the Deluxe Edition, I just played 1 -2 hours, but I just didn't have the time when it released and never got back to it
Battlefield 5, by that time I've grown tired of the Battlefield formula

Jedimastertoke

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 22, 2021
Rdr2. Mainly cause I bought it digital and was then stuck with it. Probably wouldn't have finished it otherwise. Follow up would be avengers

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Skyrim on Steam at launch. Just didn't click with it at all, and I don't think they had the refund policy in place at the time (or I missed the window). It would take until the Switch version went on sale for me to try it again... and *that* version is what hooked me to the point where I beat it and both expansions. :)

modsbox

Oct 28, 2017
Another vote for Deathloop.

Played it once for a few hours, completely can't get into it. I think there was so much marketing I was already kind of sick of it when I got it?

No idea how it got TGA GotY nom over Returnal, the two games aren't even remotely in the same league imo. At least it didn't win GoTY, that would have been criminal.

I still haven't seen a video or read anything that actually describes what makes the game great in a convincing way. If someone can't point me to something that might be able to I'd be happy to check it out. As is it's kind of like when everyone talks about how a movie is so great, and then you see it yourself and you're like 'huh? what about this is great exactly?'

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
Probably any of the hundreds of shrinkwrapped games lying around that I never got to playing.

I do remember getting a LOTR RPG for GameCube sometime around when it launched for full price. Game wasn't terrible, but it was a massive, boring disappointment as a kid who was buying his own stuff.

Sieffre

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Tales of Arise.

Game felt rushed and low budget, not worth the several year wait. I don't like the direction Bandai-Namco is taking the series, and their scummy monetization, and I wish I didn't support it. Maybe if I only paid like $20 for it, I wouldn't have disliked it as much.

i3allistic

Nov 17, 2017
Battlefield 2042, cuz my friends wanna all play together …game straight trash and fuck These developer that think it's ok to release broken game …

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Fallout 76.

I always thought it was a dumb idea, but I thought I'd play it with a friend who said he was going to get it.
I misunderstood though, and he bought it on PC while I bought it on Xbox (I think I saw him playing the beta on Xbox One).

ethanradd

Oct 30, 2017
Destiny 2, was a pretty expensive preorder, don't remember exactly how much. It was pretty hyped up at the time, thought I'd get to explore a sci-fi Bethesda-like world, what I got was a very limited, boring and repetitive game that was nothing like the adventure I had imagined in my head.

GTAV, loved the previous games but really hated this one, just came across as crass and juvenile, absolutely hated the characters. Hated the gameplay, it's the reason I didn't get RDR2, and having played a bit of that on a friend's system I'm glad I didn't.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Death Stranding, Brute Force, Final Fantasy 8, NFL Fever, MGS 5 and Mario Sunshine. I paid full price for all and regret it terribly. I never finished or attempted to finish them once I was done with each game.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Battle between Kick Off on NES and Castlvania : Lords of Shadow on X360.

Within an hour of each I was bored out of my mind

Oct 30, 2017
Dragon Quest 7 on PS1. I loved JRPG's in those days and played basically everything I got my hands on from start to finish.

Except DQ7. Few games that I just couldn't stand playing and DQ7 was one of them.