• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
recently. I finally played Witcher 3. After buying it forever ago.

Couldn't get into it. I like Witcher 2. So i'll give it another shot.

Maybe like 3 years ago. I played Super Mario 64 for the first time. I had a Nintendo 64 growing up. I just never owned Mario or played it anywhere.

It doesn't hold up. It was probably great when it came out tho

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
For me it was WoW. I bought it in early 2005, but it didn't take and I didn't like it.

But, I realized that a good friend of mine might, so I resubbed in 2008 to show him...I was done after that. I played from 2008-2015, fairly regularly.

This expac blows, though.

I'll go back one day. Was slightly interested in Classic, but I don't have that kind of time now.

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
Forza Horizon fits the bill for me.

I received FH2 in an Xbox One bundle. But since I'd never been interested in the Forza series, turned off by its status as a Gran Turismo type sim, I never unwrapped the game. I had no idea that Horizon was an arcade racer.

In late 2016, two years after its release and four years since the franchise began, I decided to give it a crack. Three years later and FH2, FH3 and FH4 are among my most played games this generation. Also pumped a tonne of hours into FH6 and FH7 and tracked down a used copy of the original FH.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
FEAR. I'd played the 360 port before, but I was 13 so I was scared shitless of the game, not to mention it's a pretty decent challenge on any difficulty that isn't the easiest. Bought it last year during a GOG sale since you can actually buy it separately instead of bundled with the other two sequels, and finally played through it + the expansions earlier this year. What a great ride, one of my favourite shooters ever.

shounenka

Nov 22, 2017
Yokohama
Finally beat Bayonetta 1 a few months ago (Wii U version). First action game that literally made my hands too tired to play in long spurts. Enjoyed every second of it though. Currently playing through its sequel (Wii U) but Astral Chain has been a massive distraction (though, the Bayonetta series definitely has it beat in terms of pure action).

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate. I still haven't beat it, but I've been able to get through most of Low Rank in the past two weeks and get a good feel for what I've been missing out on. Turns out I'm OK with having missed Monster Hunter like I did until MHW dropped, but it's still a great game to work on when you're stuck in a line at PAX. Plus, having all this context for what the franchise used to be like and being able to recognize jerks like Mizutsune when I'm walking past the merchandise stands is pretty nice.

zeitgeist

Oct 27, 2017
I'm finally starting Fire Emblem Awakening to get me into the series.

I have to go portable for a while so I'm hoping to finally get more than a few hours into Chrono Trigger as well.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Gears of War 4 on the weekend, it was there but I never got around to playing it. Gears 5 motivated me. Before that I waited five years to play Gears of War 3 because well, I hated 2. Xbone backwards compatibility gave me an excuse to give it a go and I enjoyed my time with it.

Jul 18, 2018
North Carolina
I never played Chrono Trigger on SNES, but I bought the DS version when it was new and still didn't play it. Finally played it about a year ago and finished it. It's great at what it does but I just don't enjoy RPGs.

Oh and Wind Waker and Metroid Prime 2. Had them both since launch on GameCube but never finished em until I could play them on the Wii U Gamepad.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I played Luigi's Mansion, Super Mario Sunshine, and Mario Kart: Double Dash this year.

Luigi's Mansion was pretty cool. Fun little game but definitely needed some refinements.

Sunshine was pretty bad as far as mainline Mario goes, felt way too unpolished for that series.

Double Dash was fun but the controls and content are a definite step back from the modern titles.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Mass Effect. Bought the original on 360 encountered a glitch early on and dropped it. Didn't play any Mass Effect until it got backwards compat on XBOX One. Enjoyed it.

THRILLHO

Nov 6, 2017
not too old but i just played Nier Automata (route e, of course) over the span of 3 days. that sure was a thing lol

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
Finally got around to Doom 3 on pc earlier this year and really liked it. Some major monster-closet repetition but overall it was quite fun. Doesn't hold a candle to 2016 but few games do.

MoosetheMark

May 3, 2019
Beating Sekiro when it came out gave me the confidence to finally try Bloodborne. I'd tried and bounced off long before, but once I slayed Father G. I was finally able to crack it. I spent the next month or so beating that. Then I finally cleared Dark Souls 1. I skipped to three and kind of got exhausted in the middle of it, but it was a helluva streak of catching up and it was great to finally experience what all the fuss was about.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
I preordered Prey 2017 but didn't get around to playing it until over a year later.

I didn't realize it would be "basically System Shock 3", and System Shock 2 is one of my favorite games ever. I loved it.

I also got a good laugh at the start of the game where I got the "thank you for preordering Prey, here's your preorder DLC" message.

T.Slothrop

Jan 21, 2018
Tactics Ogre: LUCT. Was worth it for the storyline and world it builds, but there's a bunch of dumbass shit that made it a slog in some parts. Still, a cool game and glad I took the time to beat it.

theSoularian

Oct 25, 2017
Portal 2. I purchased it during a Steam holiday sale in 2011. I played it from start to finsih during the Christmas holiday of 2015.
Great game, but I don't even remember why I let it sit for so long.

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
I just finished Mass Effect 2 last month after buying the game on PS3 years ago. Decided to boot the PS3 and found the trilogy in my old catalog. Played and beat the first one but then I put the PS3 to rest thanks to the launching PS4. Now I need to finish the third one to complete the trilogy.

iHeartGameDev

Feb 22, 2019
I put off PYRE by SuperGiant Games until I landed a full time gig while I was pivoting careers. Took about 8 months and I thought about playing it at least a few times a week. Ended up finally getting to it and it became one of my all time favorites.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Ace Attorney. It was on sale and switch and I bit.

Great game so far. Only on the first one and case 5. Tho I fear the sequels might not be as good as the first.

selo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For labor day, decided to go back to Tekken 7. I played it for like 3-4 months after it came out and then I became super busy with work and didn't have time to lab.

Super fun game, still a noob and get beaten with dumb things, but it's fun figuring out how to defend/counter against all the BS.

selo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ace Attorney. It was on sale and switch and I bit.

Great game so far. Only on the first one and case 5. Tho I fear the sequels might not be as good as the first.
2nd game is the weakest(Hate hate hate the circus case) but the final case is among the best in the series.

The third game is the best game overall IMO, lots of backstory and great cases!

OP
OP
Maximum Spider

Maximum Spider

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I just finished Mass Effect 2 last month after buying the game on PS3 years ago. Decided to boot the PS3 and found the trilogy in my old catalog. Played and beat the first one but then I put the PS3 to rest thanks to the launching PS4. Now I need to finish the third one to complete the trilogy.
I played the first game about 8 years ago and really liked it at the time. After I finished I had strong intentions on playing the next two entries with the same Shepard but for whatever reason, that never happened. When I went back to the first game a couple months ago in hopes of starting the trilogy anew, I really struggled to get past how poor the combat is. I could barely get past the game's introductory chapters. Still, I think i'll give it one more shot after I finish off a few more games in by backlog.

Father Kratos

Oct 30, 2017
Had Witcher 3: GOTY edition since 2016 but was always hesitant to play it because of the intimidating number of hours it needs. Finally started it 2 weeks back and its been hard to put the controller down. Every gaming session is getting extended by at least an hour more than what I had expected.

Same for Bloodborne. Will get back to it one day.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
I bought a WiiU at launch and love open world games/silly platformers. I bought LEGO City Undercover a year ago.

Just got around to playing it and ended up getting a lot of the side objectives (it's a very bloated game)

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait to come back into this thread in a few months and post "The Last of Us". That's been on me forever.
To think, I had the original PS3 game (legally/officially) a full week before it was released to everyone else, and never got around to playing it past the first couple hours, and ditto for the PS4 release. IDK. I think I've always been in the wrong frame of mind for the game every time I wound up picking it up.

OP
OP
Maximum Spider

Maximum Spider

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I can't wait to come back into this thread in a few months and post "The Last of Us". That's been on me forever.
To think, I had the original PS3 game (legally/officially) a full week before it was released to everyone else, and never got around to playing it past the first couple hours, and ditto for the PS4 release. IDK. I think I've always been in the wrong frame of mind for the game every time I wound up picking it up.
The Last of Us and Metal Gear Rising were my two big ones. I'd been putting them off forever and yeah I was definitely waiting to be in the right frame of mind too. Tbh, that's how I am with most every game I play, I don't want my first impression to be colored by a soured or lethargic mood. Thet said, I'm so happy I finally got that itch and pulled the trigger. The Last of Us is easily one of the best experiences i've ever had playing a video game. I hope you finally get that feeling because it's such a incredibly unique experience.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Doesn't exactly fit, but...

I played Call of Juarez: Gunslinger years ago. I loved it. Had a blast. Got to one section and got stuck. Stopped playing. Deleted at some point. I don't normally keep games on my PC that I'm not actively playing.

I came back to it years later when I was bored. I played it for about 30 minutes trying to remember how to play the game again, and managed to get through the section I was stuck on. Well coincidentally that was the last part of the game. I didn't have a clue I was ever that close. It took me longer to download the game again than it took me to finish the game.

Mur2thetaugh

Dec 12, 2017
Tactics Ogre: LUCT. Was worth it for the storyline and world it builds, but there's a bunch of dumbass shit that made it a slog in some parts. Still, a cool game and glad I took the time to beat it.
Hell yeah duder. Own a digital version on Vita I need to get to. Which is shocking considering my long term affair WITH FFT.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Just played through all the Gears of War games in preparation for 5. I bought the original when it came out but never played more than a few minutes. These were from Game Pass though.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I finally played through Baldur's Gate through Throne of Bhaal just in the last month or so.

I doubt I'll have the time with the rest of the year so stacked, but I wanna do the same with Planescape: Torment in the next lull of releases...whenever that is.

Bitterman

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Metro series. I had tried the 2033 redux before on xbox one and I just hated it. Felt clunky on the controller and no looker too. But I gave the games another shot after getting a good gaming PC recently. Thoroughly enjoyed my time with both and Last Light redux especially is a damn fine looking game.
EXODUS I have only dabbled a bit via XGP but decided to shelve it for the time being.

Also Danganronpa. Finally got to play the game I had heard so much about all these years. Got the first 2 Dangaaanronpa games and zero escape series on a recent sale on steam. I am a little over 10 hours into trigger haappy havoc and to say my expectations were met would be a huge understatement. What a ride!

Last edited:

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
I played the first game about 8 years ago and really liked it at the time. After I finished I had strong intentions on playing the next two entries with the same Shepard but for whatever reason, that never happened. When I went back to the first game a couple months ago in hopes of starting the trilogy anew, I really struggled to get past how poor the combat is. I could barely get past the game's introductory chapters. Still, I think i'll give it one more shot after I finish off a few more games in by backlog.
Yes at first I struggle too but I give it a go. Got use to it and manage to enjoy it more for the interaction and story, the combat had aged bad.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Trying to think what my biggest example of this is. I bought Dishonored 2 on PS4 when it came out end of 2016 (even play the first game around the same time to get ready for it) but then I just didn't get around to playing it as I was playing other stuff in my backlog. Then in 2018 I upgraded my PC and decided I'd want to play it there so I sold my PS4 copy and re-bought it on PC. Still didn't get around to finally playing it until a few months back, but I really enjoyed it so I suppose it was worth the wait.

I don't how much this counts, but I've had a passing interest in trying an MMO ever since WoW came out (mostly because the idea of potentially playing as the same character for years in a continuously updated game always sounded really cool to me for multiple reasons), but my resistance to monthly sub fees was enough to keep me away for a long while. I tried Guild Wars 2 a while back but it didn't click for me. But then I tried the free trial for FFXIV about 2 years and have been hooked ever since (to the point I'm now ok with paying a monthly sub lol).

Rhete

Oct 27, 2017
I started Trails in the Sky and Xenoblade in 2015 and fell off Trails quicky and got about halfway through Xenoblade before falling off that as well.

I restarted Trails in the Sky earlier this year and as of yesterday finished the 3rd game, so today I picked my Xenoblade save back up where I left it.

D-Man

Oct 25, 2017
I played No More Heroes 1 and 2, the whole DMC series (except 2) and Bayonetta 1 at the beginning of the year after owning all of them for ages. Enjoyed all of them overall. Really glad I got into NMH especially since I loved my time with 1, 2, and TSA.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Played RE5 co-op with a friend earlier this year. Played it last gen when it released, but the single player was pretty awful so i dropped it quick. Co-op was much more fun, but i still wouldn't call it a great game by any stretch. The environments in the second half really get pretty boring and repetitive, the first half was much stronger imo.

Oct 25, 2017
I went through the last 50 hours of Dragon Quest VII this year. It took me about 30 minutes or so to get my bearings but once I did it was magic.

Such a fantastic game and I'm grateful to have the chance to play it on 3DS.

AlphaMale

Dec 21, 2017
I recently started Dragon Age Inquisition. (about 105 hours in now)
I put it off for so long cuz early reviews were mixed and I had other games to play in place of it. Decided to play it after finishing Assassin's Creed Syndicate (another late play).

DA:I is a very good game. Much better than I was expecting!

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Finally played and finished DMC1 and DMC3 last year

Bought the Phoenix Wright trilogy earlier this year and now I get it.

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Prey.

I started it last summer but despite the interesting start i quickly lost interest mainly because i hated the enemies.But as i am a big fan of games like Bioshock and Deus Ex i decided to give it another try last week and i am so glad i did.

I still don't like fighting the enemies but everything else is superb.Atmosphere,story mystery,exploration etc.

I still haven't acquired most abilities so i hope there will be some that will make combat ecnounter much more interesting to play.

MrBanballow

Not changing this tag
May 1, 2019
Skyrim
Technically, I've had it on Steam for years (was like $3-5 in a sale?), but I only ever put about an hour into it. Switch version, massive time sink.

Fixing to be playing Witcher III for the first time next month.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I almost play zero games at release anymore. Right now, I'm currently playing through Quantum Break and loving it. In fact, I realized, as big a fan of remedy as I am, I've never played a game of the theirs any sooner than 4 years after release. I need to buy control.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Still need to eventually play FFVII before the remake comes out.

Also need to eventually beat CS1. I always start it then drop it halfway through.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
i played beyond good and evil a good generation and a half after it came out, great game