• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
It's 2019 and I literally just finished Metal Gear Rising: Revengence for the first time. If you'd have told 2013 me this, I would've been immensely disappointed. MGRR is basically a dream game of mine, Raiden's one of my favorite characters ever and I really enjoy most of Platinum's games. So why'd it take me so long to finally play Revengence? Well around 2013 I pretty much stopped playing games all together until around 2016. Life was hectic, my PS3 and 360 had pooped out on me and I interested in buying a lunch console that i'd barely use. So after some lapesd gaming years and Konami finally making the title backwards compatible for the Xbox One, I no longer had any excuses. Thankfully the game didn't disappoint. It's amazing! (but this isn't a LTTP so I won't be writing a review here.)

My question to you is, have you had similar experiences? Did a title you were interested get placed on the back burner until you finally decided to play it many years later? If so, why'd you wait so long and did it live up to your expectations?

Courage

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I played Majora's Mask for the first time last year since I never got around to playing it on the N64. It's now my favorite Zelda game along with Link's Awakening.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I played Deus Ex 1 at least 10 years after it came out. I wasn't into PC gaming at the time it was released, and after I got a gaming PC, I still went a few years without checking it out.

When I did check it out, it took two or three restarts before I actually got into the game, with several years between each attempt.

It was fantastic. I still wouldn't consider it great gameplay-wise, but it blew my mind because it gave you a degree of choice and consequence that I had never seen in a game before.

Desma

Oct 27, 2017
I got my hands on a Wii this year, and decided to try out Trauma Center Second Opinion

One day I'll complete the Under the Knife mission

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I played Titanfall 2's campaign a couple of weeks ago and it was so good I'm mad I didn't try to get another PS4 to play it sooner.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The megaman star force series.
Never played them at the time since i had just spent so long playing the battle network games and i was getting a bit tired of megaman and growing out of those types of games.
A fair amount of time later, i ended up finding the first two in a pawn shop, and decided to try them for fun on my 3ds.
Ended up loving them and went on a hunt on every pawn shop i knew to try to get the last one at a reasonable price. (Which i finally did and also loved it.)

Daouzin

Oct 28, 2017
Arizona
I kept putting off Hollow Knight because I confused it with Flint Hook and FH didn't look that good.

When I finally played Hollow Knight I was impressed. I definitely think it's one of the best games of this generation.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I bought TWEWY in middle school and didn't end up actually sitting down to play it until my first year of college.

...I wish I'd played it in middle school.

Aug 31, 2019
I got to play Luigi's Mansion (GameCube) for the first time. I didn't like it. It wasn't worth the wait. I enjoyed Dark Moon a little, so maybe I can at least have some fun time with the upcoming Switch game, I guess.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Started playing Persona 5 two days ago and I'm really enjoying it so far

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
Just beat Yoku's Island Express today after obsessing over it for three days. It got in the way of my first play-through of Wonderful 101, which I started last week.

Next up, and I don't know why this game popped into my head the other day, should be Knights in the Nightmare. Maybe. I played a few encounters on it back when it came out and remember it as being fairly intimidating. On the other hand, I never did give it the focus it deserves.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Dark souls 3. Got it for 15 dollars same year titanfall 2 came out. Beat it this August. Great game

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
Didn't play an FF game till last year, at 28. Finally played 6 and 7 myself, years after having watched my friend's brother play them. Ended up realizing I like RPGs, and played 5 DQ games in 2 months when it got announced for Smash.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
How is this topic about Mario Odyssey, now? It came out less than two years ago, so it is hard to justify saying that you waited "years" to play it, let alone "many years" (which is what the OP specified). Also, BotW is clearly the overrated Nintendo game of that year, not Odyssey (I just couldn't help myself).

Personally, the first thing that comes to mind is The World Ends with You. I have owned that game for a very long time. I am just settling into it now. So far... it seems good? I guess? I am not far enough in to really have a particularly strong opinion of it.

One game I did put off for forever, and actually completed, was Klonoa. It was on my backburner for a decade. When all was said and done, I liked it. I didn't love it, but I see why it has a fanbase.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
The megaman star force series.
Never played them at the time since i had just spent so long playing the battle network games and i was getting a bit tired of megaman and growing out of those types of games.
A fair amount of time later, i ended up finding the first two in a pawn shop, and decided to try them for fun on my 3ds.
Ended up loving them and went on a hunt on every pawn shop i knew to try to get the last one at a reasonable price. (Which i finally did and also loved it.)

That sounds amazing! I am really hoping we get Battle Network and Star Force collections next since those are the only Mega Man series I haven't played (I've gone thorough the classic, X, Zero, ZX, and Legends games over and over). Glad to hear you love them.

for me I hadn't played FFVII seriously until this year and I found a lot to like about it.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
Didn't play an FF game till last year, at 28. Finally played 6 and 7 myself, years after having watched my friend's brother play them. Ended up realizing I like RPGs, and played 5 DQ games in 2 months when it got announced for Smash.

which DQ games did you play? I just preordered XI-S and I'm really excited for that to be my first DQ game. I could definitely see myself getting into that series.

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
The Witcher 3 (PC)

After being yelled at to play The Witcher 3 for the past (3? 4?) years, I finally gave it a shot a couple months back. 10 hours in and I really, really don't like it. Everyone told me I'll love it by the end of The Bloody Baron quest. I've since completed that quest and I absolutely cannot find anything I enjoy about the game other than watching the trees blow in the wind. Maybe I'll give it a spin in a few years again and see if my mind gets changed.

Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume (DS)

On the flipside, I played Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume back at launch and put it down because I didn't like it. There were many reasons I didn't like the game. I was upset there was no news on VP3, I felt it was really slow and lacking in what made VP1 and 2 special. I hated playing games on the DS because the system is generally uncomfortable to me. I felt it was a poor followup and addition to the series back then. I tried again a few times throughout the years, but those reasons remained. I've tried to force myself to like it but I was never in the right mindset. This was upsetting because I'm a huge fan of the series. This entry was always a black sheep to me.

Recently I picked it up again after refreshing myself on VP world lore during a discussion with some friends and I find it hard to put down. Something about it just clicked with me now. I like the grim and hopeless story, the pacing feels right for the story its trying to tell. Its a bit less hectic in combat but it lets me be more tactical and mindful. I'm doing so many different things than I would in VP1 and 2 that I've actually started to appreciate it for what it does on its own. I love the political turmoil turning along (I really enjoy learning more about the three main cities), the incredibly tragic, flawed and misguided characters, and the mindless madness that is the main characters quest. It has many things from the series I like so much and adds a few spins to it. I'm glad I gave it another go after letting it sit on my shelf for so long.

Coming back to VP: CotP is why I feel I may have different feelings about The Witcher 3 someday. Additionally, I'm fully aware TW3 has a lot of the same things I'm liking about VP: CotP but they've not resonated with me in any way. At least not yet.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That sounds amazing! I am really hoping we get Battle Network and Star Force collections next since those are the only Mega Man series I haven't played (I've gone thorough the classic, X, Zero, ZX, and Legends games over and over). Glad to hear you love them.

for me I hadn't played FFVII seriously until this year and I found a lot to like about it.

Hope we get a collection too. I would love to be able to play them again and i would probably buy multiple copies of them to gift to friends since i loved them so much.

OP
OP
Maximum Spider

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I just finished The Last of Us for the first time about 2 1/2 weeks ago. I was always really intrigued when I saw the game demoed but like Revengence it came out around a time when I wasn't playing video games. The game absolutely blew me away. I couldn't believe what I had experience after I had wrapped everything up. It was one of those rare instances where the game was so good that I want to start all over right after I had finished it. I haven't had that urge in over 10+ years.

I've been catching up on a lot of notable titles I missed out on or skipped from the past 6-7 years.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
I owned the original gears of war on 360 and never touched it. Now I'm on the last act. Technically I'm cheating because I'm playing the remastered version on game pass. It's ok, I guess. I'm not a huge fan of the movement system or the way melee works, but it's fun. The story and characters are hilariously dumb, though.

Nessii013

May 31, 2019
Just recently started and finished Witcher 3, great characters and story, overall a great RPG with generally interesting quests, though the quest actions themselves can get a bit formulaic. I think it would've been better if it were a bit smaller but more condensed (looking at you 2077), as I preferred Witcher 2's structure.

Twelvy

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo
I bought Metal Gear Solid 4 day one and played it in 2015. I managed to avoid spoilers during all that time.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
which DQ games did you play? I just preordered XI-S and I'm really excited for that to be my first DQ game. I could definitely see myself getting into that series.
I played 3 first, then hopped around going through 1, 8, 2 and 4. They're all very similar in play with a few twists to differentiate, but they're quite breezy and not too stressful when it comes to combat and exploration. They're all on mobile with a few exceptions. DQ1 is extremely short; if you started now, you could sleep and still finish it by lunchtime tomorrow!

weebro

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
I haven't played any of the Metroid Prime games despite being a huge 2D Metroid fan.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Played Ocarina of Time for the first time this year. It was pretty darn good.

Also got around to playing Eternal Darkness this summer. I love horror games and I had heard nothing but praise for this one, but it didn't really click with me. I dug the mansion and some of the side character levels, but there was a lot of banal combat that didn't feel tense or add anything.
It was definitely worth playing though.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Ninja Gaiden NES

Punchout NES

my first console was the snes, so I have incentive to go back to these classics. In the case of Ninja Gaiden, yeah holy shit, wow that game is hard. But I had a good time, I think it does a really cool job in how its sub weapon stuff works. The way the challenges ramp up in their complexity is pretty neat, the game has you doing strings of tight jumps after another, and the boss patterns are fun to learn and have room to be aggressive or do it a conservative way. Which I appreciate. I think it's too much of a timing challenge a lot of the times, but all in all satisfying as hell game.

Punchout felt very simon saysish, until I realized how the star stuff worked, n benefit of punching in between hits. It kind of reminds of me of jabbing out of block strings in a fighting game with a gap big enough for a jab out, so I'm all on board for that.

I get why they were classics in the 80s, and they live up to the billing.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I stopped playing games all together for a few years, then mass effect 2 was due out in a month so I played thru mass effect 1 and got back into gaming. Starting to trail off again but destiny keeps me around.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Marvel vs Capcom Infinite.
Liking it a lot, so far. 2 vs 2, what a joy!

vitormg

Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
The Witcher 3. Best gaming decision I've made this year by far. Such an amazing experience! I loved every bit of it. The expansions are insanely good as well, currently on my way through Blood and Wine. My GOAT Open World.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Warframe is the most recent. It's been out since 2013 I think, and I only gave it a real try about a month ago. Still playing it now, it's pretty good.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
I played 3 first, then hopped around going through 1, 8, 2 and 4. They're all very similar in play with a few twists to differentiate, but they're quite breezy and not too stressful when it comes to combat and exploration. They're all on mobile with a few exceptions. DQ1 is extremely short; if you started now, you could sleep and still finish it by lunchtime tomorrow!
Yo!

You need to play 5! It's one of the best in the series.

OP
OP
Maximum Spider

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I've been waiting to play the Yakuza series since the first game came stateside. Beat' em ups are literally my favorite genre ever. I can't really explain why I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Mur2thetaugh

Dec 12, 2017
Salt n Santuary. Pre-ordered for PS4. Beat it and the Vita version back to back last month. What a ride!

Jazar

Oct 25, 2017
South Florida
I finally beat the Witcher 3 last week after however many years since it came out. I only had about an hour left (the end dragged...). Now staring the dlc...

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
Katamari Demacy. I played it for the first time on switch this year. It was pretty fun.

I did pick up and start splinter cell blacklist and metal gear revengence but I still haven't focused on them.

I'm still plodding my way through dark souls and I remember getting hints from co-workers over 10 years ago.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Recently, King's Quest (the new one). I just had to be in the mood for an adventure game. I bought it a couple years ago on sale and it just sat there. Finally a month ago I sat down and finished it. I love a good adventure game every now and then and this one was fun.