• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TooLive

Jan 28, 2019
Easily Mass Effect.

Mass Effect was set in a universe with multiple species engaging in space politics and exploration like Star Trek. The problem is that they made the Reaper Threat the ultimate threat in the universe which made the politics and exploration stuff from the first game completely irrelevant.

I was hoping that Mass Effect was going to be the Star Trek of video games but it ended up just being another ho hum story about an unknown force trying to destroy the universe.
This!

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
My example of stuff like this is Majoras Mask.

Really a super simple story, really small location with Clock Town and yet it's one of the game stories and settings I think of most. When you put work into little mundane details it really pays off.

For a while the hot stuff has been to make these huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge worlds, that are just so empty and boring and full of nothing.

Give me a game with a super narrow focus but where you've thought about each character, npc, what they do, what their lives are, what it means to them and bam suddenly you have a gripping story coming together.

Its part of the reason I love Dragon Quest vignettes so much.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo games. Great character designs and worlds, terrible narratives and characterization.

Biggest waste is pokemon.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I guess FF VIII, some of the characters and locations like the Gardens and Esthar look fantastic but the overall story with the sorceress and time compression feel impersonal and boring.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yep. The trailers were steeped in mystery, but the game itself wasn't at all. It needed something deeper than surface-level curiosities, similar to Horizon: Zero Dawn

Aloy was more developed than any character from BOTW. There were a lot of interesting characters on Horizon, maybe they weren't deep or anything but compared to Zelda, come on.

Tbh, you can take every character from BOTW and replace it with new characters and the game wouldn't change at all. The world doesn't use the zelda lore in any notable way.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
BOTW was like a sandbox that people scattered pieces from a torn up history book all over. Nonlinear storytelling can be great with sidequests, but that main quest and all of its characters being sparse flashbacks and the ending being so tepid perfectly represents how I feel about it.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I feel like BotWs world was interesting enough? The main quest is what needed more. But also I would be down for more dark souls style lore scattered about.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I have a suspicion that it's not really that the writers don't care about story, but rather the complications of game development means that a lot of these concepts that would fill in the blanks just don't get prioritized over making a fun and functioning product.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
I am fairly convinced that Breath of the Wild's story was largely cut as a result of it being decided that fleshing it out properly would have delayed the game for too much longer. The ending boss fight was clearly unfinished as well, but it seems like Nintendo decided it would not accept more delays.

Whatever plans there were for fleshing out the story got shuffled over to dlc plans, and then that is likely what helped push Nintendo to decide to make the dlc into a 'sequel'.

Part of what I'm excited about for BotW2 is that I think it'll be a show of what was originally intended to be the complete story for BotW, or at least largely based on those plans. A satisfying ending and story were the biggest things I felt BotW was missing.

Story seems to be the aspect of a game Nintendo is most willing to chop in favour of meeting deadlines, unfortunately.

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
There is a coherent history of the past ~100 years of Hyrule told in BotW's world design, I don't think any other open world game has done this better.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Every game needs to hire lore masters from the community if they get a sequel, the thing I hate the most are things that don't make sense and have no explanation, at least if you retcon stuff make the new version make sense or give a reason for it, better yet try not to retconn.

Looking at you Bethesda and you Ubisoft, stop changing things in Assassins Creed and Fallout for unexplained lore reasons, callbacks to popular branding, and for making micro transactions and dlc easier to fit in with marketing.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Breath of the Wild doesn't need more story, but boy it would have been nice if the story that was there was more compelling.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
Destiny and BOTW, although I'm not sure BOTW would be as a good as, let alone better than, what BOTW is now. Destiny's lore is a bunch of incoherent diarrhea hodgepodge. Coherence would make the game much better IMO.

Lastly, at the risk of blasphemy, Souls games. I'm not sure how From hoodwinked the gaming community into accepting bits and pieces of esotera that you need to put together as a provocative form of storytelling.