• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
It even has a Lost Levels style trick Warp Zone:

2fb27c461629b656a8ece9937d1e95aa6c323297.jpeg

Some more pics of my boxed SMB G&W:

e6873298cc69fc1f66c9a94c5360a09d2eecd220.jpeg

8ae3fb02dd65a18c0f1a49d616edf083d1bb85ef.jpeg

c6f54f5f135986f12b4560e75aa411d364952f2b.jpeg

449d44de9a9d133acacf9ab25051a1a8f05861da.jpeg
Oh man, that's so neat!!

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Something I noticed a little while ago was that the copyright dates on the games' title screens have been updated with 2020 for this specific release.

EizRWGfWoAAKgjH
EizRWvUXgAMmBii

I'm left to wonder why. Nintendo never does this for straight ROM dumps (Virtual Console, Switch Online), so it makes me ponder if they've actually gone to the trouble of changing any of the in-game content as well.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
One curiosity with this is that since this is a celebration of Super Mario Bros, why didn't Nintendo include the Game & Watch version of Super Mario Bros??

There are two versions.

The first from 1986, the Crystal Screen version. The LCD screen is see through so you can see directly through the unit to objects placed behind it.

Then there's the Wide Screen version from 1988.

Both games play the same but the 1988 version has better graphics on Mario.

Bonus: 1987, Japanese only version that was only available as a prize in a competition. Comes in a case based on the Famicom Disk character.
1280px-SMB_Game_%26_Watch_gelb.png
That Famicom disc one is sweet.
I'm guessing it's pretty valuable?

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
Christ Nintendo, make some actual games. This, Mario Kart Live Circuit all the while giving Mario 35th anniversary a crappy port. Everyone as saying "It's the pandemic, leave them alone" but they have still been doing all these rubbish things.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Christ Nintendo, make some actual games. This, Mario Kart Live Circuit all the while giving Mario 35th anniversary a crappy port. Everyone as saying "It's the pandemic, leave them alone" but they have still been doing all these rubbish things.
🥴

It's a shame the team that was making Breath of the Wild 2 had to stop working on that to make the SMB Game & Watch.

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017
For anyone in NZ, I per-ordered from the warehouse a couple of weeks ago. It was the only place I could find that had it up for pre-order.

It says it releases on the 12th of Nov, so it should arrive the same day as the PS5 hopefully.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Limited to 10,000 units.

It was given out as a prize for competitions based on 4 Famicom Disk System games, in Japan.

As well as the Game & Watch in the Famicom Disk character case, it also came inside a special presentation box with certificate and other gifts based on which of the 4 games you won the competition on.

Looking at eBay I can find just the Game & Watch only being sold for £500. And the game in mint condition inside the Disk case for £1000.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
You can't deny that Nintendo's first party output has been pretty crappy this year.

*Looks up from hour 250 of Animal Crossing, the game that lets me and my friends hang out during the pandemic*

Oh, have they not released anything since March? Oh hey look Pikmin demo!!!

*Plays the one mission mode level for hours until perfected*

I just bought Pikmin 3 again were you still talking? Oh they didn't rush out half finished games to meet imaginary deadlines during a global pandemic with unique issues effecting Japanese companies when they made more money than god already when said games would directly compete with new console launches? Man I'm like so mad at them I might even not have already preordered Hyrule Warriors 2. Oops I already preordered it. Ah well. Everything is relative.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Something I noticed a little while ago was that the copyright dates on the games' title screens have been updated with 2020 for this specific release.

EizRWGfWoAAKgjH
EizRWvUXgAMmBii

I'm left to wonder why. Nintendo never does this for straight ROM dumps (Virtual Console, Switch Online), so it makes me ponder if they've actually gone to the trouble of changing any of the in-game content as well.
Notice the drop shadow on the font/text of Super Mario Bros 2?

Vs. Super Mario Bros (arcade/Switch AA release) also got redone with the drop shadow font. Also has some different levels and a High Score table for the top 10 scores.

I would say that some in-game content is slightly different or something has been added.

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I don't mean to pile on you but clearly the pandemic has pushed this year's lineup into next year. These smaller-scale (e.g. low budget, relatively quick to organise, and/or teams of just a couple of dozen people) releases are obviously being prioritised to fill in the gaps that are left. At least some collaborations such as Mario Kart Live and Hyrule Warriors seem to have arrived on schedule (as far as we can tell).

Jun 17, 2018
I don't mean to pile on you but clearly the pandemic has pushed this year's lineup into next year. These smaller-scale (e.g. low budget, relatively quick to organise, and/or teams of just a couple of dozen people) releases are obviously being prioritised to fill in the gaps that are left. At least some collaborations such as Mario Kart Live and Hyrule Warriors seem to have arrived on schedule (as far as we can tell).
It's uncanny how people still don't get it. The world is currently in turmoil but how dare Nintendo not have immaculate output

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I forgot it has USB-C charging.

Still surprised there's no US preorder. This thing's less than a month out. I'm glad I have my Amazon UK preorder.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
They knew for sure bots will overtake the preorders like it's nothing. I hope they don't have preorders, and I live in USA.
They aren't from the looks of things because they took down all wording of pre-orders from the US/Can site. This thing is just going to show up the same day as PS5. I think some will get a better shot because people forgot but then also a lot of people are going to be screwed because they forgot and they will all be gone until restock.

I'm currently happy with my JP amazon order, just hoping to get 1 more because one is going to my best friend for christmas (even if I only end up with 1).

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
So what do you guys think is gonna be the best bet for us US folks, orderng it online at midnight release date, or walking into a store?

Turns out getting a PS5 or Xbox Series X at launch isn't that viable this year for me, so this is the closest Im gonna get to a console launch (especially since I'm a total Super Mario Bros fanatic)

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
So what do you guys think is gonna be the best bet for us US folks, orderng it online at midnight release date, or walking into a store?

Turns out getting a PS5 or Xbox Series X at launch isn't that viable this year for me, so this is the closest Im gonna get to a console launch (especially since I'm a total Super Mario Bros fanatic)

I would say website but that is going to be a hard one with everybody hounding the site for possible new PS5 units for sale.

Last edited:

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
I would've preordered one of these if given the option, and I'll see if I can get one at retail, but I'm not interested enough to go above and beyond in trying to secure one.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
It even has a Lost Levels style trick Warp Zone:

2fb27c461629b656a8ece9937d1e95aa6c323297.jpeg

Some more pics of my boxed SMB G&W:

e6873298cc69fc1f66c9a94c5360a09d2eecd220.jpeg

8ae3fb02dd65a18c0f1a49d616edf083d1bb85ef.jpeg

c6f54f5f135986f12b4560e75aa411d364952f2b.jpeg

449d44de9a9d133acacf9ab25051a1a8f05861da.jpeg
Wow, that in some great condition.

Played the hell out of mine as a kid. It was a legit fun game, despite some assholeish deadend tunnels. :D This and LoZ are my two fav G&Ws. I really hope this is in this new G&W release somewhere as a secret!

Azubah

Dec 30, 2017
For the US, it looks like it.

I swear I read somewhere that Nintendo planned to make enough of these to appease everyone somewhere.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

mockingbird

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I'm just gonna go for the Japanese one. I have a feeling that the US one is gonna go up at some ungodly hour and bots are going to snap them all up.

And honestly, Japanese just makes more sense to me anyways given how the device has a Famicom color scheme.

Last edited:

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
whats the over under this will get hacked so you can load your legal roms on it
Depends how much storage it has.

NES Super Mario Bros is only 40Kb in total size. Nintendo could make the storage less than 1Mb in total. And that would dissuade people putting roms on it if it was hacked, due to only being able to put a few roms on there at once.

Just a thought.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I completely forgot about this and I ordered one when it was announced. In not going to lie in looking forward to this now than my PS5.

I've never had a G&W before

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home

NES Super Mario Bros is only 40Kb in total size. Nintendo could make the storage less than 1Mb in total. And that would dissuade people putting roms on it if it was hacked, due to only being able to put a few roms on there at once.

Just a thought.
I literally just want to put the GB Game & Watch Gallery 1-3 on there and I'll be content.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
It is, in the link under "edition" klick on the left one that is getting scalped for like twice the price. The pin is in the product image on the right from the box. It just looks like the G&W unit itself.
OMG I thought that was just an image of the system. 😅

Just a thought.
USB OTG plugs exist so it's not like a huge piece of hardware to lug around.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Nintendo's fixation on Ball is disappointing. I'm sure it's because it was probably the best-selling of all the G&W units (besides maybe one of the Donkey Kong ones). It's like how Sega loves reissuing Sonic 1 because it had the most sales, even though most Sonic fans wpuld agree that 2 and/or 3&K were better games.

They never even reissued Super Mario G&W in the Game Boy collections. Technically Zelda G&W is the final unlockable in the GBA Gallery collection, but still no SMB.
Nope, Ball has nowhere near the sales as many of the most popular G&W handhelds. While sales are hard to nail down (what with them being 40 years ago and all), Ball only ever sold somewhat modestly compared to most of the later releases in the gold/widescreen/dual screen series (the same can be said for Mario the Juggler which also had somewhat small sales due to its smaller stock, making it a pain to track down these days... I got one though!)
I'd just guess its because it was the first game and watch handheld. Though it does seem weird to have an attachment to it since its fairly simple and not as interesting visually as Mario the Juggler (which at least tried to inject some colour and Mario elements into the aesthetic of the game.

This one ? ;)

There was a brief period a couple of years back when a couple of cheaper price versions popped up on auction sites and I snagged it for my G&W collection. The top hinge that holds the case cover and the case together was snapped (which explains the cheaper price) but otherwise its in great condition. Game plays perfectly as well, though its one I keep mainly for decoration rather than to play (I've got two other versions of SMB for that! (soon to be 3!)