• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
which is a spinoff of Mario Bros., which is a spinoff of Donkey Kong.

Game & Wario is the spinoff singularity of video gaming.

Food for thought.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Nayuta no Kiseki is a spin-off of the "Trails" series, which is a quasi-reboot of the Legend of Heroes series, which is a spin-off of the Dragon Slayer series.

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
and Dark Souls is a spiritual successor to Demon's Souls which is a spiritual successor to King's Field

Elden Ring looks to be a spiritual successor to Dark Souls. No idea if Sekiro/Bloodborne are spirituals or just inspired by Souls.

themadswagger

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
... a spin-off of Donkey Kong, which was originally going to be starring the characters of Popeye, who were based on real people, who evolved from the apes.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
to nitpick wario ware is a wario/mario land spinoff as much as, say, hearthstone is to warcraft. i.e. mostly cosmetic repurposes of an IP

but yeah is nuts how sequel/spinoff trajectories can play out over decades

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I'm going to take this otherwise very enjoyable thread and say that, in my opinion, Game & Wario gets an unfairly bad rap. Now, to the detractors defence, I haven't really engaged with the WarioWare franchise outside of a few sessions with Smooth Moves (it's pretty fun! I believe it's not regarded as one of the better ones though?). B U T . . .

For whatever reason my friends loved playing this game, and often asked me to bring my Wii U out. I think ultimately the only games we ever played in a group setting were this, Nintendo Land, and Smash. Even though there were only a few games that many could play, and one of them sucked, and one of them is effectively Pictionary... It's a lot of fun if everybody gels to it. We also frequently played the single player games or lower player games in turns, so... I just wanted to say, I think it's a pretty fun game. It maybe wasn't good value for it's cost, but it definitely ended up worth it to me (though I think I got it cheap with a Club Nintendo reward).

Anyway, minor defence force done, continue with the good thread.

Oct 25, 2017
The OP's point formed the basis a second-round question on an episode of Only Connect (and a question that I got). It was a "guess the fourth thing in the sequence question" that went like this:

Captain Syrup ---> Wario ----> Mario ----> ???

I got it right at "Wario" and then realized, dang, they got a lot of stuff creatively out of Donkey Kong. Hell, they got a lot of stuff creatively out of Super Mario Land 2.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
Metal Gear Solid is a Policenauts crossover event, the entire Solid series

evilmonkey

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Once you stop defining games and/or series by their relation to preexisting series, and start seeing them for what sets them apart (i.e., the gameplay), you'll see that each one of them is its own thing. They just happen to share characters and setting.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Is Super Mario Land a spin-off of Super Mario Bros. anymore than Super Mario World is?

I consider all of them to be mainline games.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
Why not? In the Mario vs DK series he owns a toy factory. Dude's probably loaded. Makes sense when there's an actual princess in his entourage.
I've seen how he lives
mariosmrpgddjsv.png

Mario is a man of the people

babyzelda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
... a spin-off of Donkey Kong, which was originally going to be starring the characters of Popeye, who were based on real people, who evolved from the apes.

Popeye was a spinoff of Thimble Theater; you can fill in what thimbles and theater are spinoffs of and perhaps incorporate Aristotle's entire theory of art.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now just add Splatoon, that is the timeline branch resulting from Mario Sunshine if the Hero is Defeated.
#itsallconnected