• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Since the re-release of Deadly Premonition and the announcement of its sequel, I've been thinking a lot of Operation Darkness, as I initially purchased an Xbox 360 for Deadly Premonition and Operation Darkness, and they both remain two of my favorite games on the platform. Like Deadly Premonition, Operation Darkness was a total jank-fest, and it had a horrible camera, dated graphics and awful performance, though Operation Darkness never managed to command the sort of following that Deadly Premonition did.

That said, Operation Darkness was a pretty interesting turn-based strategy game set during World War II that offered a wide assortment of characters with their own unique abilities. Sure, there were some oversights in this regard, as the game featured perma-death that could only be fended off by reviving a character prior to the end of a battle, and there was only a single character who was capable of reviving other characters. That glaring flaw aside, the game managed to be really engaging, thanks to its "Cover" system, which allowed you to forego certain characters' normal attack phases to instead set up triggers that'd allow them to perform far more attacks each turn. Plus, some of your characters turn out to be werewolves, and they can change forms to destroy enemy soldiers, tanks and even dragons with a single punch. On the subject of dragons, yes, the Nazis have some supernatural support of their own, including the aforementioned dragons, as well as a band of vampires known as the Blood Clan.

Cue awesome Blood Clan theme music:

Sometimes, I'm kind of tempted to purchase another Xbox 360 just so I can play the game, as it's not playable on Xbox One via Back Compat, sadly. I doubt that it'll ever be re-released, and I'm frankly kind of shocked it was ever released at all, especially on Xbox 360. It just seemed like a really out-of-place game, but I really enjoyed it. While I'd settle for a re-release or it being added to Back Compat (the latter of which is unlikely to happen, even, since Microsoft isn't adding anymore games to Back Compat), I do think a lot could be improved in a sequel.

Here's a trailer for Operation Darkness for anyone who's interested:

So, which unlikely re-releases or sequels do you want to see on newer consoles?

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think all sequels that i want will happen eventually (Even if it takes 20 years) But i don't think a port or a sequel to Eternal Darkness is likely to ever happen. :(

That game deserved so much better.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still hoping Nintendo unseals The Last Story's coffin someday

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Remasters of the PSP Dissidia Final Fantasy games

Remaster of FFVII Crisis Core

A few months ago I would have said Seiken Densetsu 3 but we're getting a remake next year :)!

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Wonderful 101 flopped so hard that we'll never see 102 some day :(. It's a shame cause they hints they gave towards what would happen in a sequel in game were supper hype.

I made a list some time ago for PS4.

Crysis Trilogy
Dead Space Trilogy
Mass Effect Trilogy
Metal Gear Solid The Legacy Collection
Folklore
3D Dot Game Heroes
Puppeteer
Singularity
Wolfenstein(2009)
Ratchet & Clank Collection
Ratchet & Clank Future Tools of Destruction+Crack in Time
Prince of Persia(2008)
Star Wars the Force Unleashed
Resistance Collection
Castlevania Lords of Shadow

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
If you asked that question one week ago, Tokyo Mirage Sessions would be on top of my list. Luckily not anymore.

Beside that I'm still counting for re-releases or remasters of:
Persona 3
Persona 4: The Golden
God of War Collection & God of War Origins Collection
Ratchet & Clank Collection and Future games
Wolfenstein (2009)
Mass Effect Trilogy
Star Wars: Pit Droids
GTA: Vice City Stories and Liberty City Stories
Crash Twinsanity

StayMe7o

May 11, 2018
Kamurocho
Forbidden Siren 2. They ported the first to PS4 and nothing ever since. IIRC, the game never came out in the US, so yeah.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
The rest of the Yakuza games. Kurohyou 1 and 2, Yakuza 1&2 HD, Kenzan and Dead Souls. Remaster all of them except the PSP games which should be remade so it has a fully 3D city and not the static backgrounds (which are incredibly low detail in the sequel). Leave combat as is though, that part is fantastic.

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Having spent the past few hours digging into River City girls...

220px-Scottpilgrimthegame.jpg

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
Viewtiful Joe deserves a comeback.

I'd also like to play a sequel to / remake of Galarians on PS1. It had some great ideas but was a bit clunky and ignored at the time.

HOTSPUR

Oct 25, 2017
Having spent the past few hours digging into River City girls...

220px-Scottpilgrimthegame.jpg

This, Shadows of the Damned and Lollipop Chainsaw.

Fuck it, Binary Domain as well. and it seems like we're never seeing ME1-3 complete for this gen either. fingers crossed next gen.

Metal Gear Rising (either or), a Bulletstorm sequel (although that seems slightly more likely these days than when the game first released), a proper (still pissed at you for that one MS. fucking project spark...I still bought it) Conker sequel. Prey 2 although maybe it's too soon to call that one. Asura's Wrath!!!

ShinyKyurem

Jul 11, 2019
I would love to see a remaster of both Dissidia FF, they are probably my most played games on PSP. I've never played any entries from the FF XIII trilogy, so I'm a bit curious about it too.

Persona 3 would be awesome as well, but I'd rather a remake than a remaster to be honest.

And now that Xenoblade is going to have one, why not with The Last Story and/or Pandora's Tower? I didn't have the chance to play any of them so that'd be great.

HOTSPUR

Oct 25, 2017
Remasters of the PSP Dissidia Final Fantasy games

Remaster of FFVII Crisis Core

These as well!!

I would love to see a remaster of both Dissidia FF, they are probably my most played games on PSP. I've never played any entries from the FF XIII trilogy, so I'm a bit curious about it too.

Persona 3 would be awesome as well, but I'd rather a remake than a remaster to be honest.

And now that Xenoblade is going to have one, why not with The Last Story and/or Pandora's Tower? I didn't have the chance to play any of them so that'd be great.

These too. this thread makes me sad. Great games

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The Guardian Legend

It's like Ikaruga and Zelda at the same time. I can't think of any other game like it.

Roukira

Dec 1, 2018
France, Paris
Baten Kaitos and Baten Kaitos Origins, I want both a rerelease and a sequel (it got scrapped before, so they could build on the pre production stuff)

Oct 27, 2017
Murfreesboro, TN
Shadow Hearts, god dammit!

Since the re-release of Deadly Premonition and the announcement of its sequel, I've been thinking a lot of Operation Darkness, as I initially purchased an Xbox 360 for Deadly Premonition and Operation Darkness, and they both remain two of my favorite games on the platform. Like Deadly Premonition, Operation Darkness was a total jank-fest, and it had a horrible camera, dated graphics and awful performance, though Operation Darkness never managed to command the sort of following that Deadly Premonition did.

That said, Operation Darkness was a pretty interesting turn-based strategy game set during World War II that offered a wide assortment of characters with their own unique abilities. Sure, there were some oversights in this regard, as the game featured perma-death that could only be fended off by reviving a character prior to the end of a battle, and there was only a single character who was capable of reviving other characters. That glaring flaw aside, the game managed to be really engaging, thanks to its "Cover" system, which allowed you to forego certain characters' normal attack phases to instead set up triggers that'd allow them to perform far more attacks each turn. Plus, some of your characters turn out to be werewolves, and they can change forms to destroy enemy soldiers, tanks and even dragons with a single punch. On the subject of dragons, yes, the Nazis have some supernatural support of their own, including the aforementioned dragons, as well as a band of vampires known as the Blood Clan.

Cue awesome Blood Clan theme music:

Sometimes, I'm kind of tempted to purchase another Xbox 360 just so I can play the game, as it's not playable on Xbox One via Back Compat, sadly. I doubt that it'll ever be re-released, and I'm frankly kind of shocked it was ever released at all, especially on Xbox 360. It just seemed like a really out-of-place game, but I really enjoyed it. While I'd settle for a re-release or it being added to Back Compat (the latter of which is unlikely to happen, even, since Microsoft isn't adding anymore games to Back Compat), I do think a lot could be improved in a sequel.

Here's a trailer for Operation Darkness for anyone who's interested:

So, which unlikely re-releases or sequels do you want to see on newer consoles?

Got all the achievements on this game. Loved my time with it, but when I tried to go back and replay it a few months ago I just couldn't. It's a flawed gem.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
An HD Remaster of this little gem would be nice:

Skies of Arcadia Remastered is my biggest classic game wish.

KingLear

Oct 25, 2017
I really want harvest moon wii to come over to the switch. It wasn't the best outing, but the art was gorgeous.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
Golden Sun Dark Dawn, I have been following the Dark Dawn HD twitter account and those character models, especially battle models are so well done. A lot of the detail is lost on the DS screens and a few changes to allow for backtracking would go a long way.

OP
OP
kubev

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Got all the achievements on this game. Loved my time with it, but when I tried to go back and replay it a few months ago I just couldn't. It's a flawed gem.
I was really surprised when it was discounted digitally a while back, and it kind of gave me hope that we'd at least see it come to Back Compat. I suppose that I'd just like to see it get a second chance on SOMETHING, as I do think there are some good ideas in there, despite the really flawed execution.

Oct 25, 2017
Remasters of Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII and Dirge of Cerberus.
Then give me A DoC sequel to finally finish the story.
They can remake Before Crisis while they're at it.

GeeTeeCee

Oct 27, 2017
I'd hoped after Rockstar ported LA Noire to current gen systems that Max Payne 3 would be next. Sadly not.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
I would love a Super Mario Sunshine remaster but I think Nintendo is trying to focus on new Mario content as opposed to re-releasing old games.