• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
I usually play more story based games, but honestly have had a hard time focusing lately on them with everything going on. Was looking for suggestions for the Switch or smth on Steam I could run on a shitty MacBook Pro (any Mac compatible game I could probably run) that's less story based but still goal oriented/not as relaxing as Animal Crossing or Stardew. Some stuff I've enjoyed sort of in this arena:

- Civ 6
- Slay the Spire (still working on the DLC final final boss)
- Into the Breach
- Cultist Simulator (until all of the info about the creator came out have not touched it since :/ )

Not a fan of platformers or metroidvanias, so please no recommendations of that nature :)

the only thing I have been able to make brain space for is DND, so I was also thinking of maybe grabbing divinity 2 on Switch. I have it on ps4 but sitting in front of my TV to play a console game just isn't vibing with me at the moment.

thanks!

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Diablo 3 maybe? You can just grind rifts in Adventure Mode and not really have to think about too much. The Switch version run decently well, though enemy density is less than the PC version.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
For all of the Diablo suggestions, you could also go with Path of Exile if you don't want to spend money.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DEMON'S TILT PINBALL

Demons-Tilt-1.jpg

Deleted member 20852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've actually been playing Divinity Original Sin II (on Switch as well) and for me it ticks a lot of the same boxes as Into the Breach! I'm not massively into huge stories in games, but the combat system with it intricacies of how the different elements interact is something I've really enjoyed. The Switch port looks a bit rough at times and the performance sinks when there's a lot going on, but it's completely playable and being able to play it portably is great.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
FTL, maybe? Not sure if it's on consoles, but it is on Mac.

If you've played that, look up One Way Heroics (and the Plus expansion) [Edit: Whoops, not on Mac.] or Unexplored. The latter's on Switch IIRC but I think the controls weren't good or something; never played that version myself.

OP
OP
aiswyda

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Diablo I've played quite a bit on Switch--I had fun with it, but not really what I'm looking for right now. Thank you, though!

For all of the Diablo suggestions, you could also go with Path of Exile if you don't want to spend money.

For some odd reason I though Path of Exile was a Divinity style game?

I've actually been playing Divinity Original Sin II (on Switch as well) and for me it ticks a lot of the same boxes as Into the Breach! I'm not massively into huge stories in games, but the combat system with it intricacies of how the different elements interact is something I've really enjoyed. The Switch port looks a bit rough at times and the performance sinks when there's a lot going on, but it's completely playable and being able to play it portably is great.

Ooo good to know. I def need portable right now, so as long as it's playable.

FTL, maybe? Not sure if it's on consoles, but it is on Mac.

If you've played that, look up One Way Heroics (and the Plus expansion) [Edit: Whoops, not on Mac.] or Unexplored. The latter's on Switch IIRC but I think the controls weren't good or something; never played that version myself.

I've actually never played FTL so I may look into that, thank you!

Didn't realize this ever got ported tbh

OP
OP
aiswyda

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Wait what happened with Cultist Simulator and its creator? That game has been on my radar so... oof.

Two women accused him of exploiting them / other women last year, around the time a lot of sexual harassment allegations in the industry were being made. Link

I recall looking into this once or twice--any reason why you'd rec?

super smash bros ultimate

Fighting games aren't really my thing, thank you though!

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, one more I just thought of:

Star Trader: Frontiers. It's a sort of open-ended spacefaring RPG/roguelike. Hella replayable and the devs are constantly updating it.

Available on Mac, no consoles AFAIK.

ScrewyAurum

Nov 3, 2017
Darkest Dungeon is a great take on turn based, dungeon crawling with a base building meta
CRIT.gif

Sins of a Solar empire, probably the best 4x-space-rts out there
Even has great mod support with entire new classes added from star wars to halo
DeepRepulsiveGoat-size_restricted.gif

Invisible Inc. Really cool spy strategy game with a twist on typical turn based rule set and level design
giphy.gif

OP
OP
aiswyda

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Thank you for all the suggestions! Some of these I've tried before and didn't quite get into (Lumines and Darkest Dungeon) but may try again. Gonna have to take a better look at steam stuff. Especially the spy game!!

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
I'd perhaps suggest Disgaea 5 or one of the fire emblems. since you said you enjoyed Into The Breach