• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 4, 2018
Fallout 5: The 5 Best Potential Settings Bethesda Could Explore
gamerant.com

Fallout 5: The 5 Best Potential Settings Bethesda Could Explore

Fallout games are well known for their post-apocalyptic takes on iconic locations, and here are 5 that Bethesda could consider when making Fallout 5.
Fallout 5 has not been confirmed yet, but that won't stop fans from speculating on what could be in store should a fifth installment be announced. If Bethesda is cooking up another Fallout game behind the scenes, then there are five locations that it should take Fallout 5 that would make for a unique Fallout experience.

To date there have been a total of four unique locations in America that the Fallout games have explored already. The Mojave Desert Wasteland is the focal point of Fallout 1, Fallout 2, and Fallout: New Vegas, which contains famous locations like San Francisco and Las Vegas. Fallout 3 has the DC Wasteland and shows players a post apocalyptic DC Capitol Hill and the surrounding area. The Boston Commonwealth is the location of Fallout 4, complete with its own Fenway Park and even the MIT campus. Fallout 76 is the most recent Fallout game and it is centered around the West Virginia Shenandoah Valley. With all of the previous locations out of the way, it is time to consider what the next Fallout location could be.

ceabb816e8f77c52948441d1bdcdfc9adaefc502.jpeg

75b76947c86f88ce809c3d3b9ceadd809dac7535.jpeg

China
Chicago
New Orleans
Alaska
Colorado

Also, Obsidian's idea in 2013 for the location of a hypothetical sequel of New Vegas was
Los Angeles/ The Boneyard
www.rockpapershotgun.com

And Here's Obsidian's Idea For Fallout: New Vegas 2

When you speak with someone in Las Vegas, the topic of conversation naturally shifts to Vegas-themed things. In the cas…

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Fallout: The Boneyard, by Obsidian would have got me the most excited, a reimagined post-apocalyse L.A

OP
OP
FarSight XR-20
Jan 4, 2018
Personally, my wishlist would be:

- Colorado and the Dog Town (Denver), the moment the news of Caesar's death reaches the place. The Legion would collapse and enter in a state of civil war. With the Cheyenne Mountain, Vault 0 and Colorado Springs. But that's unlikely that Bethesda would pick this location.

- New York. Though it's very dense and would be hard to do, it's iconic. Central Park and Times Square in Fallout could be amazing.

- Alaska. The place where the final battle between America and China took place. Though that's unlikely it would have many vaults, especially since it only got liberated 10 months before the bombs fell.

- Chicago. Because of the Enclave's presumed presence.

- Detroit. In the Fallout timeline, I would imagine that Detroit would have been one of the most successful and populated cities of the US and remained the heart of the American automotive industry all the way until 2077.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I would love to see the Fallout world outside of the USA but considering how much of the of the newer games are based on pop culture and movies of the 40s-50s, I don't really see them branching out any further than the UK.

Chicago and Alaska would great choices, imho.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully MS makes Bethesda pick a studio to make it otherwise youre SOL. A BGS fallout 5 isn't releasing for 7 years min.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
I've always wanted to see Annexed Canada as shown in the start of Fallout 1. Maybe we have a group of Canadian loyalists trying to take back their home, a group of Americans trying to resettle and of course, anarchidt factions like the Brotherhood. Idk, I am Canadian so that may be why

Oct 19, 2018
I get the feeling it will be on the East Coast, and would prefer Orlando or NYC in that situation.

Would also like New Orleans if they weren't afraid to branch out elsewhere in the States.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Not possible. Fallout is inherently about post-nuke 'murica setting.

Completely possible. GTA is claimed as much and had a game in london. The Fallout world is bigger than just america, there are plenty of mentions to the fate of other countries that could be show in a side game, and plus, theres always the easy way out, canada, which in fallouts world is america anyway

Danton

May 31, 2019
Canada or Alaska would both be nice, as they are both areas rife with conflict already present in the lore.

China would be nice as well, but I feel like americana is too central to the series' aesthetic to have a game set far away from the States without drastically changing the vibe of the game.

SneerfulOwl

Nov 4, 2017
Completely possible. GTA is claimed as much and had a game in london. The Fallout world is bigger than just america, there are plenty of mentions to the fate of other countries that could be show in a side game, and plus, theres always the easy way out, canada, which in fallouts world is america anyway
Not possible. If they are gonna shift this game's setting to outside of America/Canada, they might as well call it a different game. No 60's theme of America, no Vault-Tec, no Brotherhood of Steel, not even exploring other lores and states/cities that were mentioned in past Fallout games? Yeah, that would be a stupid idea.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
The best setting would be going back to the West Coast. There's a lot they can work with.

Katarn343

Jan 22, 2018
México - United States
New Orleans would be so cool. After Fallout 76s amazing worldmap, the bar is pretty high, honestly. They somehow managed to make West Virginia the most fantastic location we've visited in any Fallout game, so I'm sure they can really get creative with any other location.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
Chicago has my vote.
In Fallout lore, iirc, Europe was already destroyed before the Great War kicked off. China was glowing from how radioactive it was in Mothership Zeta, and the "Great Beyond" Jason Bright took his followers too was heavily implied to be China as well. So unless we play a Ghoul I cants we is going to China. I don't know the status of South America or Africa in Fallout lore though.

I don't see Bethesda going outside America with Fallout though, the franchise is explicitly about lampooning 50's Americana culture.

Oct 27, 2017
I really want a game where they realize that hundreds of years after nuclear bombs fall wouldn't look the same as right after.
Its really goofy when apparently a family has been living in an old building for generations and they've never bothered to clean out pre-war trash and skeletons.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017

No.

No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. NO!

I hate how often this gets suggested because it displays fundamental misunderstanding of what the series is all about.

Because the question that people want answered by taking the setting to China is "Did we get them? Did we win?"

No, mother fucker! We didn't win! Nobody won!

Nuclear fucking war happened!

Nobody wins a nuclear war!

Last edited:

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
Chicago has my vote.
In Fallout lore, iirc, Europe was already destroyed before the Great War kicked off. China was glowing from how radioactive it was in Mothership Zeta, and the "Great Beyond" Jason Bright took his followers too was heavily implied to be China as well.

I don't see Bethesda going outside America with Fallout though, the franchise is explicitly about lampooning 50's Americana culture.

Mothership Zeta is as canon as the ending of OWB where the world is destroyed by hexagonal structures

Spiderhead

Banned
Aug 15, 2020
Canada
I still want Toronto during the annexing of Canada.

Please don't sleep on this idea Bethesda and Microsoft. It has so much potential.

Even if it's after, as the state's own Canada and Canada no longer exists. So Canada in general would work

Last edited:

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
These types of conversations always just devolve into "they should set the next Fallout/Watch_Dogs/GTA" in my home town!". Also, anyone suggesting a non-US location is just completely missing the point of the major themes of Fallout.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
These types of conversations always just devolve into "they should set the next Fallout/Watch_Dogs/GTA" in my home town!". Also, anyone suggesting a non-US location is just completely missing the point of the major themes of Fallout.

The point is the america of today is not the america of fallout. For instance, Canada *is* america in Fallouts universe. They could very much as well had established presences in other places as well. And i for sure dont want a fallout game in my hometown/country, it's not flattering at all and thats the intention. But unless you move the timeline too much either further or back, or start introducing major factions that "somehow" were ignored in all the other games, a different location is the only way to expand the fallout lore further

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
All of these locations are popularly demanded ones. Mostly because there is some existing lore already there (albeit, some of it non-canon). Personally, I'm for Fallout sticking to the post-apocalyptic capitalist Americana, but I'm open to any idea if it's done right.

Although I also have a preference for returning to the Boneyard and Obsidian being the ones to hold the reins for it.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Literally anywhere as long as they actually have like real civilizations. Like is it to much to expect that in over 100+ years in these cities they actually make it livable and pick up trash scrap and dead bodies in the immediate vicinity?

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Alaska would be awesome, and I'm not only saying that because I'm halfway through Tell Me Why.

Ahem.
Canada or Alaska would both be nice, as they are both areas rife with conflict already present in the lore.

China would be nice as well, but I feel like americana is too central to the series' aesthetic to have a game set far away from the States without drastically changing the vibe of the game.
They could have other vault tech companies throughout the world, showcasing other cultures from the 50s. Would be cool.
I actually think Canada or Alaska would be great for what a lot of people want. If it wasn't a place that America could really get into until very late, then Alaska could be a super interesting place to showcase different things from what we normally see. A sort of wave of Americana washing over what was there previously, and doing a very incomplete job. We can feature entirely different looking buildings and decor. It could look like the chaos of any good post-invasion scene. Similar vibes for Canada.

Plus, they're both such naturally beautiful places that you could intersperse some really stunning vistas just cutting through some of the grimiest junk from the dregs of humanity.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Totally different game obviously but I really liked the Wyoming setting in TLOU II especially during the winter, would be cool to see a snowy, mountainous region explored in a Fallout game, though I suppose Alaska and Colorado fit that nicely too :P

The main thing I'd like to see from future Fallouts is a more seamless world particularly being able to explore structures and underground areas seamlessly with the overworld, no more loading screens for every damn door. Hopefully that game engine upgrade Bethesda discussed as part of the MS acquisition includes this.

They're going for different vibes but this sort of seamless exploration in and out of structures is what helped Stalker have such an engrossing atmosphere. On that note a grittier, more horror themed Fallout maybe as a spinoff would be great.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully no Fallout 5, I thought Fallout 4 was a bit crap.

If Starfield is good, that could replace this series...But since Fallout 4 sold well I fear there will be another.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Choose a fucked up Atlanta. The Underground already looks like a small Fallout environment lol.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Honestly at this point I don't want more Bethesda Fallout games... Fallout 4 was just... more of the same. New setting but oooh look still super mutants, oooooh look still rubble every where after so many decades and years. I have no doubt whatever they do with the next Fallout game they will keep hitting those "fallout" check boxes to keep the falloutness but nothing else.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
Until the Fallout 5 is out, there will have been a nuclear war, so they can just use that setting.

If somebody else makes a Fallout, I would like a setting outside of America, maybe with a different look.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly at this point I don't want more Bethesda Fallout games... Fallout 4 was just... more of the same. New setting but oooh look still super mutants, oooooh look still rubble every where after so many decades and years. I have no doubt whatever they do with the next Fallout game they will keep hitting those "fallout" check boxes to keep the falloutness but nothing else.

Fallout doesnt need to be BGS only anymore. Microsoft owns the IP now and can use any of their studios (or contracted ones) for it

OP
OP
FarSight XR-20
Jan 4, 2018
I actually think Canada or Alaska would be great for what a lot of people want. If it wasn't a place that America could really get into until very late, then Alaska could be a super interesting place to showcase different things from what we normally see. A sort of wave of Americana washing over what was there previously, and doing a very incomplete job. We can feature entirely different looking buildings and decor. It could look like the chaos of any good post-invasion scene. Similar vibes for Canada.

Plus, they're both such naturally beautiful places that you could intersperse some really stunning vistas just cutting through some of the grimiest junk from the dregs of humanity.

Alaska could be really interesting :
- as Communist China occupied Alaska and Anchorage for 10 years, there could be large remnants of their presence (including human presence), clashing with the classic Fallout/American aesthetic. Lots of Chinese tech too.
- let's imagine that remnants of the Chinese army and the US army are still fighting the Great War 200 years later
- mutant polar bears, mooses and other creatures that live in the Arctic

Alaska is barren though and that could be a problem.