• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Game Pass users: Do you buy games afterwards to support the devs?

• Yes !

Votes: 97 5.7%
  • No!

Votes: 612 36.3%
  • Wtf that's a waste of money!?

Votes: 758 44.9%
  • Only if it leaves the service

Votes: 220 13.0%

• Total voters

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
Never. I imagine they already get compensated for their game being on Game Pass or they wouldn't do it.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Wasn't GamePass supposed to be a viable source of income for developers? Why would I need to take extra steps if the GamePass money is enough to fund the games?

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Hell no. That's the point of Gamepass, so I don't have to buy the games. It's not like Gamepass is free. This is like asking if you would buy the Bluray to support the studio after you watch the movie on a streaming service.

Fishook

Dec 20, 2017
No, I use game pass as a way to play games I am not likely to pay full price on day of release. If it's something like a Paradox game with plenty of DLC I am more likely buy it when it's dirt cheap as they are very time consuming.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I don't even pay for Game Pass usually, nevermind buy games I already played through it, as it's usually very easy to find free trials, like you could get a week with your cereal recently in the UK (it's stopped now unfortunately), but I was able to play everything I wanted.
MS make more money in the time I spent writing this comment than I'll make in a lifetime probably, so no guilt here, they can easily stop it too if they had a problem with it.

Kayotix

Oct 25, 2017
No, what's the point of having Gamepass then?

I'm assuming devs are compensated by having the game on the service.

MrMegaPhoenix

Oct 27, 2017
Never. It's actually part of the reason I don't even plan on getting the next Xbox. With game pass and streaming, should be easy to sub for a month, beat the first party games not on PS5 and then unsub. That's an insane amount of money saved, so I can't see why I would then buy what I finished

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
Microsoft should pay me and others for the woes I had to endure with Windows and its games for 25 yeare

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
If I think I want the game in my library after playing it, sure.

But most games I want to initially keep I don't experience through Gamepass. So it's gotta be a game that blindsides me.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Ayup, but only form Switch. I tried The Outer Worlds and Turing Test on GamePass and decided not to finish them there and instead buy them for Switch.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
I'm using the gamepass on PC to check out games like a demo service. If I like them, I may buy them ... from a different store if they are available there.
The MS Windows store app is the worst app store I've used since I could remember (among other things are bugs during download/installation and the messy way it creates the folders and their permissions). So the less games I have there the better.

I'm not sure I'm going to continue the subscription indefinitely either. I don't like the idea of only having access to things I really enjoy while a subscription is going.
I like to keep games permenantly. But I don't need that for all games. If there are enough games I just want to check out as a one off and maybe don't want to ever play them again, I'll stick around.

It's only a rental service unless you plan to keep the subscription going forever, or for however long it's available.

As for the specific purpose of giving devs more money...like I said, only if I really enjoyed the game, and it's available elsewhere (unless it's a MS title then it will have to do).

Last edited:

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
no.
in fact, I've been waiting more and more to buy indies because I fear they'll be released on Gamepass.
I only buy indies these days if I really want to play it at that moment or I'll only be able to play on Switch.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, i bought FH4, Gears 5. I want to own them outright, they're classics.

Ill do the same with Halo, Ori 2 and all PG games (Fable, FH5)

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
No, only unless I know it's leaving the service and it's on discount. But I haven't bought one yet.

The developers get money from gamepass already. It's a contractual agreement that is mutually beneficial. It may not be the same cut if you bought the game full retail, but most gamepass games are usually a few months or more old when retails sales aren't as large a chunk of revenue anymore. Plus there's a lot of games today designed around post-sale revenue with MTX.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Sometimes I buy them on another platform, but that's it.

Like they had Witcher 3 on Gamepass and I bought it on PS4 to play it there too, then I my girlfriend to play the XBOX version while I played the Playstation one, which was kind of cool.

But otherwise, I don't really game on my XBOX enough to justify it. I literally just have the XBOX ONE X for gamepass, I play what's on gamepass, and if it's not on gamepass, then I don't play it.

If they took some of their exclusives off I might buy them, but I don't think they ever intend to do that. Like if they took Forza Horizon 4 off I'd probably buy it outright.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I just downloaded $175 worth of games today.

Plague Tales, Metro Exodus, Gears, Children of Orta and a few Indies

Feels good, granted I won't be paying for gamepass again until later in the year but even then...what...$10? Who cares

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I can't even read the thread. Throwing money at corporations. Literally crazy. Let me subscribe and pay. Holy fuck.
The POINT of subscriptions is to NOT pay more.

Gallows Bat

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I prefer to play on ps4 so a couple of times I've started a game on gamepass and then bought the ps4 version. Mostly because my laptop can't handle 1080p on some AAA games now though i.e the outer worlds. A couple of Indies too because I wanted them permanently available and I don't intend to keep gamepass.

Lethologica

Oct 27, 2017
Devs already get paid to be on GP but I will buy the game if I like it and want to own it.

The discount GP gives to buy the game is icing on the cake.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just beat Gris on Game Pass on PC. If it was on Xbox I would buy it when it was on sale to have it in my collection, play it with achievements, and to support the devs.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
I bought Forza Horizon 4 because I felt weird buying DLC for a game I didn't actually own...and then felt really dumb after. That's about it.