• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Of course it'll help Xbox sales lol, It's ridiculous to think otherwise. Halo is a system seller, Gears is a system seller, Forza is a system seller, Fable will be a system seller, whatever the Initiative is working on will be a system seller.
It's not ridiculous to think otherwise, it's just not optimistic to. Halo, Gears and Forza should be system sellers but it's all relative to what's happening in any given year. Would you say Game Pass has helped Xbox sales so far, because I wouldn't say it has moved the needle significantly. In fact, recently we saw a 48% decline in Xbox One hardware revenue and that was as Game Pass was more promoted and praised than ever before.

Yes, and next-gen they'll have a lot more games and Game Pass to fuel even more console sales.
It's not like they didn't have a lot of games this gen. It's a myth that Xbox didn't have exclusives this gen. It's a myth that they didn't have studios this gen to produce games before Phil shopped for more to replace the ones they got rid of. What you're proposing is purely hypothetical, and not necessarily pragmatic based on what we know or can trust in.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Huh? Have you seen god of war and spider Man sales? I swear, some people must live in a alternate reality because all data show how people are willing to pay premium for premium experiences. Yes, they're going to keep paying $60 for god of war and Mario despite the thousands of games available on gamepass simply because those IPs are more appealing to them.

I'm confused? What's the difference between Gears 5 and any other system selling exclusive? You act as if people didn't pay $60 for Gears. They did. I guarantee you it sold really well. It's almost as if you're arguing Xbox doesn't have premium experiences or that Gamepass isn't a premium service which....isn't true.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Those games are not system sellers, sorry to burst your bubble.

Halo 5 sold 5 million copies in it's first 3 months in 2016 and made more money in it's first week than any other Halo game. What was the install base of Xbox Ones in 2016? 20 million? God of War has sold 10 million copies but the install base of PS4s was much MUCH higher than Xbox's was when Halo 5 released and we don't know where Halo 5 ended up in terms of sales.

Halo is absolutely still a system seller and having Infinite available on Game Pass day one is going to be huge. You're the one living in an alternate reality here it seems.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
I'm confused? What's the difference between Gears 5 and any other system selling exclusive? You act as if people didn't pay $60 for Gears. They did. I guarantee you it sold really well. It's almost as if you're arguing Xbox doesn't have premium experiences or that Gamepass isn't a premium service which....isn't true.
I think the argument is simply that Sony's exclusives have a lot more hype and buzz around them, and sales would indicate that is entirely true.

I signed up for 3 years of Gamepass, but I honestly see the service as a sort of acknowledgement by Microsoft that things weren't going great the traditional route for them, so they decided to try something entirely different. The aggressive pricing deals we've seen indicate even more that Gamepass likely hasn't been doing great so far, so again they've changed up their strategy.

For me Gamepass will almost certainly push me to buy a next gen Xbox sooner rather than later, but I don't think Gamepass has really gotten much traction in the gaming consciousness so far. I think Microsoft is ultimately going to have to have some very positively hailed exclusives to pull the masses back into their world. Games that arrive with the impact of God of War or Spider-Man did last year. Right now I have absolutely no idea what game that will be, but I guess Halo Infinite at launch next year is a good start.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
User Warned: Console wars
People don't really care for gears.
People don't really remember gears exists outside gaming forums, it's not close to God of war level and it's miles behind Mario.
You seem to be on a crusade to convince everyone that no one purchases xbox's or their exclusive games
Do they? The sales data shows people don't buy xbox exclusives.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Microsoft can have a good sales pitch for next gen going by this thread. We'll see

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I think the argument is simply that Sony's exclusives have a lot more hype and buzz around them, and sales would indicate that is entirely true.

I signed up for 3 years of Gamepass, but I honestly see the service as a sort of acknowledgement by Microsoft that things weren't going great the traditional route for them, so they decided to try something entirely different. The aggressive pricing deals we've seen indicate even more that Gamepass likely hasn't been doing great so far, so again they've changed up their strategy.

For me Gamepass will almost certainly push me to buy a next gen Xbox sooner rather than later, but I don't think Gamepass has really gotten much traction in the gaming consciousness so far. I think Microsoft is ultimately going to have to have some very positively hailed exclusives to pull the masses back into their world. Games that arrive with the impact of God of War or Spider-Man did last year. Right now I have absolutely no idea what game that will be, but I guess Halo Infinite at launch next year is a good start.
This guy gets it.

Oct 25, 2017
I typically buy every console around day one to the first 6 months, but due to Gamepass, the next xbox is a mandatory day one for me and I'll likely buy a PlayStation mid-gen when all the crazy holiday sales happen. So Gamepass is absolutely changing my buying habits.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

People don't really remember gears exists outside gaming forums, it's not close to God of war level and it's miles behind Mario.

Gears 5 had 3 million players in its opening weekend, literally what are you talking about ?

Also conveniently skipping over the poster who pointed out that Halo 5 sold 5 million copies in its first few months with an attach rate of 25%.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
The thing with gamepass is that its even more attractive with xbox's very strong BC solution. Friggin panzer dragoon orta available right now, and ninja gaiden. I havent got an xbox but that is what makes it so attractive for me

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Obviously, charging $1 between Xbox one and PC to play the game... It's a very low number considering everything.
Meanwhile, Mario kart keeps getting record sales on one platform only charging $50~$60... Pretty obvious who is winning here.

I literally didn't talk about Mario? Anyone with a functioning understanding of video games could point out that Mario is more important and popular than gears

You go into every single Xbox thread and point out how nobody actually likes, plays, or purchases Xbox games. But in reality, there are millions of players who do. Is Xbox as big a brand as Nintendo or Sony right now? As of right now no.

This doesn't mean that 0 people are Xbox fans, and going into an Xbox thread to conjure up anything you can to try and "tell the truth" about Xbox isn't productive and is toxic.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018

Honestly man, give me numbers. Show me how many people bought gears and halo and Forza. And if any of it is over two million people then please, just stop talking. You seem to think that two million plus is a non number because the competition sells more. It doesn't matter if God is war sold 7 million copies and halo 5 sold 6. It's still millions of people buying the game, so get your "no one cares" crap and get lost.

Also, don't triple post please.

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
Obviously, charging $1 between Xbox one and PC to play the game... It's a very low number considering everything.
Meanwhile, Mario kart keeps getting record sales on one platform only charging $50~$60... Pretty obvious who is winning here.
I'm pretty sure Nintendo is no longer taking the sales of a single console or game(s) as "winning." This is why they're in the online sub business now, even giving the subs away on twitch, this is why they're in mobile, f2p, fitness rings, cardboard, etc. They don't want another Wii U.

Microsoft already owns the best selling game and if all they wanted to do was push a single console, store, etc. they could have tried to exploit this. Not sure if its the right play but they have a business vision and that means pushing a sub and supporting different platforms with different titles.

It's like Nintendo not chasing hardware or visually high end game production. Each company is trying different strategies.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017

Minecraft has sold more copies than any single Mario game and is the second highest selling game of all time after Tetris. Clearly based on your logic Microsoft has the best games since out of Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft it's MS that has owns the highest selling game.

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil
Some people in here went full fanboy discourse holy shit, that's so sad, next year Halo Infinite will be fun 😂

Halo not a console seller, the fuck you people are smoking?

Last edited:

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Minecraft has sold more copies than any single Mario game and is the second highest selling game of all time after Tetris. Clearly based on your logic Microsoft has the best games since out of Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft it's MS that has owns the highest selling game.

Yeah but he didn't cherry pick that number so it doesn't count.

Also it doesn't count because Minecraft is on every console.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz

What. People don't care about Gears? Come on. People care about Microsoft's exclusives. Just because they don't sell 10 million copies in a year doesn't mean they aren't desired or that they sell poorly. Again your arguments are disingenuous. Every exclusive title they have adds value to Gamepass. At the end of the day it's about what games you want to play. It's cool if Microsoft doesn't float your boat, but stop trying to portray the narrative that no one cares about their games. It's factually inaccurate.

Brokenrobot

Jul 12, 2018
Game Pass made me switch over to Xbox as my main console without me even really noticing. Now I use ps for blood borne and vr and play everything else on Xbox. Gamepass turned my Xbox from a regrettable impulse buy to something I use daily.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

Funny how Nintendo still saw fit to:

- Start charging for multiplayer
- Release MTX heavy mobile games (something they had been VEHEMENTLY against even when they were struggling early with the WiiU)
- Continually try to recapture their Wii lighting in a bottle successes with cardboard and more fitness gimmicks

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Microsoft can have a good sales pitch for next gen going by this thread. We'll see

Except Game Pass is available here and now.

I see this notion constantly that it's going to possibly be a 'game changer' for next gen, but what is suddenly going to change to what we have now?

Edit: I should add that I ask this question even as someone who bought their first ever Xbox due to Game Pass. I see it as really very good value and I'm happy I bought my X, but if we're looking at overall market-share, GP seemingly hasn't done much to move the needle so far relative to the competition.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018

I see this notion constantly that it's going to possibly be a 'game changer' for next gen, but what is suddenly going to change to what we have now?

Edit: I should add that I ask this question even as someone who bought their first ever Xbox due to Game Pass. I see it as really very good value and I'm happy I bought my X, but if we're looking at overall market-share, GP seemingly hasn't done much to move the needle so far relative to the competition.
It's Game Pass along with the deluge of new games from their new first party studios that will sell Xboxes.

vitamind

Nov 1, 2018
For me it makes no difference. I don't care about graphics anymore as everything seems good enough. No point in game pass for games I don't want. It's all first party games and until Xbox manages to snag first party games (more RPGs) on PlayStation or comes up with their own first party games that I enjoy I won't pick up it's next iteration. My PC, switch, and PS have covered every game that I wanted this generation and see no reason why it won't continue at this point.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017

New consoles will be out. People are talking about those who need to make the decision to buy the PS5 or the next Xbox. Game Pass will be a factor for some.

I actually considered buying a Switch the other day because it's the one console I don't own. Here in Canada the console is $400 and games themselves are $80 for the big Nintendo titles. Meaning with tax I'm looking at $632 for a Switch and just 2 games. I noped out, I'm not about that life anymore.

So an Xbox Scarlett with Game Pass will be very attractive to someone looking to jump into next gen.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

Really?

i mean, this gen is way too far gone. That momentum is way too much now for Microsoft to even attempt to turn around. Ive been saying for some time that all the moves you're seeing Microsoft make right now were never for this generation. They were for next gen.

BC, Game Pass, all the studios they've bought its all been the longer play. 2013 still dogs them to this day and I'm sure they know that, they've even acknowledged it in recent interviews. They wrote this generation off a long time ago and have been spending time putting the pieces in place to have as strong a platform as they can for the launch of next gen.

Whether it amounts to anything obviously remains to be seen, but I'm not sure how one could argue that buying a brand new console next year and having access to all launch day first party titles, your entire Xbox One library, all your BC Xbox OG and 360 games and whatever else Xbox One/OG/360 games are on Game Pass is a pretty compelling package

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
yep, it's pretty damn good. helps that the x1x is also a fantastic piece of kit. makes me pretty confident in investing in ms next gen too.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
Game Pass is great, I love it but im also a huge fan of being able to play games on my PC and Xbox, depending where I wanna be. And the amount of games I can do that with is going to grow with all the studios MS bought up.

But im still undecided on what next gen platforms I will be purchasing.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
It's Game Pass along with the deluge of new games from their new first party studios that will sell Xboxes.
It's not like they didn't have a lot of games this gen. It's a myth that Xbox didn't have exclusives this gen. It's a myth that they didn't have studios this gen to produce games before Phil shopped for more to replace the ones they got rid of. What you're proposing is purely hypothetical, and not necessarily pragmatic based on what we know or can trust in.

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To answer the OP gamepass is indeed not important for me in choosing next-gen system. First is games and Sony hasn't failed me in that regard so that's a lock in.

What I am going to do though is wait till the end of next-gen than take some time out and buy 1 month of gamepass pc and play all the games that I want to play.
I am going to repeat that every new gen till I die or something else comes around.

Paragraf

May 31, 2019
Russia
With active GPU until summer 2022, unless suddenly I will be interested building capable PC, I'm buying Xbox first, PS later.

sora bora

Oct 27, 2017
I think many will be re-evaluating their enthusiasm should the next Xbox be $499, myself included.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
not sure how one could argue that buying a brand new console next year and having access to all launch day first party titles, your entire Xbox One library, all your BC Xbox OG and 360 games and whatever else Xbox One/OG/360 games are on Game Pass is a pretty compelling package

Because you can have all that now and as I said, it doesn't seem to make much difference. Also the PS5 will also have backwards compatibility and Sony finally seem to be getting serious about PS Now, which is going to be a big draw card for buying a next gen PlayStation.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Because you can have all that now and as I said, it doesn't seem to make much difference. Also the PS5 will also have backwards compatibility and Sony finally seem to be getting serious about PS Now, which is going to be a big draw card for buying a next gen PlayStation.
Wait, PS Now is going to be a big draw for PS5, but Game Pass isn't going to be one for Xbox?

sora bora

Oct 27, 2017
Do you think the ps5 won't also be $499?

Is the informed speculation pointing at $499 launch prices? I'm wholly ignorant on specs thus far. I just think $399 is what the market-writ-large will tolerate.

And for some reason, I had this notion that whatever is coming up next year will once again have xbox at a higher price point.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Is the informed speculation pointing at $499 launch prices? I'm wholly ignorant on specs thus far. I just think $399 is what the market-writ-large will tolerate.

And for some reason, I had this notion that whatever is coming up next year will once again have xbox at a higher price point.
It's expected that both consoles will be very similar.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Sorry I more so meant backwards compatibility with all PS4 games, but PS Now will hopefully be a bigger feature next gen, especially for gamers like myself (Australia) where it's not even available to us yet.
They'll need to have games launching on the service at the launch of the console to match the bang that Game Pass is going to make.