• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
The PC version may not be as good as the console.. but Ive still played through Gears, Hellblade, Outer Worlds and dipped my toe in a ton of other games for a total of $6 so far. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Deleted member 61326

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2019
"I have to pay full price for a game to have a sense of commitment!" is probably my favorite argument against the service. It takes the most stupid prize among all the other stupid shit I see posted here and that's saying a lot.

I'll confess though that I have personally felt like that with games in GamePass. Since I didn't technically buy them, I feel no commitment to continue. With purchased games the urge is stronger.

Mind you, this is by far not an argument against GP. Love it, best thing to happen in years.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
It's a Beta and the price is ridiculous now to draw you in. The price will go up. Still great value for 9,99€/month.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I think its 11.99 a month in the uk? That's a bargain really.
Sure, but it's not "get 300 games for 1€/month" anymore. Also the content is frontloaded. When you subscribe you get games for months, but you will eventually play through those you are interested in and then you are "stuck" with the new games.

For now it's a no brainer to subscribe, but I might cancel in 6 months or a year and only resub when a new AAA game comes out that I really want to play.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I love Game Pass and I use it every month of the year but in the end, when I am forced to pay $15 or more per month then I will drop it. The reason I use it is because I get it for less than $1 per month. For $15 per month I get better value through deals and using my backlog. I play a bit too many mediocre games thanks to Game Pass.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
On PC it sucks. You get gimped versions of every game because Microsoft is forcing their god-awful folder locking on you, preventing you from modding games and preventing the use of some third party software like Steam Remote Play.

The only thing this terrible service is good for on PC is to play some Microsoft games for cheaper if you only want them for a month.

Well ya, if they didn't enforce folder locking then someone could do the free trial, download every game they want to pirate, then crack all of them?

There's really no way around that due to how PCs work.

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
It's about the best thing game related in my 45 years of gaming.
Maybe it's because I'm on a tight budget right now though.
I'm using it this second. Well the seconds before and after this post.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I love Game Pass and I use it every month of the year but in the end, when I am forced to pay $15 or more per month then I will drop it. The reason I use it is because I get it for less than $1 per month. For $15 per month I get better value through deals and using my backlog. I play a bit too many mediocre games thanks to Game Pass.
How do you get it less than $1 per month for every month of the year?

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
is good for now that im getting it at 1$/month
Im not paying 10/month for any of them, id rather just buy my games

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My dream would be for XGS to partner with Yu Suzuki for Shenmue 4, this is a thought after seeing Yakuza (+ Shenmue) being brought onto GP.

Phil said the GP means reduced risk, and a game on GP almost immediately means a few million gamers at launch, would be a good way of getting new fans on board.

statham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FloRida
Its 9.99 on Xbox, $4.99 on PC.

Oct 25, 2017
Well ya, if they didn't enforce folder locking then someone could do the free trial, download every game they want to pirate, then crack all of them?

There's really no way around that due to how PCs work.
That doesn't seem to be a problem for Ubisoft and EA as they have Uplay+ and Origin Access Basic/Premier, and the Origin one includes some third-party games as well.

Anyone who's willing to go through the trouble of doing this would just pirate the full games anyway, it's a pointless worry.

Its 9.99 on Xbox, $4.99 on PC.
PC price will be raised to $9.99 later. Currently unknown when, but it has been announced.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I have it on Xbox One X and PC, but I barely touch it. Mostly games I've already played or games I don't want to play. The fact that most games are only there temporary kills it for me, and makes it only good for those one-and-done type games where you beat it once and never play it again.

I barely use GP on Xbox, because most of the time I'd rather play the PC version of a game. I barely use GP on PC because I'd rather play it on the Steam client.
It's okay for checking games out, but then I'd just buy them on Steam if I like them. The Xbox client sucks.

Cities: Skylines is on GP. It's a great game, but GP gives you the Windows 10 version which lacks simple mod support and the expansions cost over $10 a piece. On Steam, you can buy the expansion keys elsewhere for heavy discounts, and you get Steam Workshop for simple modding.

So yeah, generally GP is a great value, but it still depends on the user. It's a better value on Xbox users who don't buy many games.

Oct 25, 2017
I tried it out a bit last month on PC for the $1 trial. I played a lot of Gears and Bloodstained but ended up being too busy with work to use it much so I cancelled it after about two weeks.

Microsoft offered to refund the $1. That's nuts, who does that? Anyway I felt like $1 was a fair value for the time I spent on it and I didn't take the refund. Will definitely resub when I have time.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
I doubt it will always be like this with big AAA games on day 1. Still nice though to try out stuff.
They could never take that feature away at this point. They've built the service around that aspect.

However, there is no doubt in my mind Microsoft is currently bleeding money to get Game Pass off the ground right now. The question becomes at what point do they stop subsidizing it at the level they are? It's going to mean either a price increase or far less games on the service, and at that point the question becomes about how many people stick around when the honeymoon phase is over.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a collector, that's why it doesn't make sense for me to sign up for it.

Otherwise yeah, I'd be on it in a heartbeat. Crazy good deal.

May 10, 2019
giphy.gif

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Also Microsoft Rewards are brilliant too. I've recently changed me default search engine to Bing, and thanks to that and a couple of other MS purchases I've managed to get the next two months of Gamepass Ultimate for free, and I'm only 2000 reward points short of getting another month.

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
Absurd value. Well played Microsoft. If I get the next Xbox, it'll probably be because of Game Pass.
The game pass praise here is the reason I spent €87 on two years and two months of this shit. I still regret my purchase.
I'm curious, why did you regret your purchase? I don't have an Xbox so I hate you guys for getting Outer Worlds day one lol

castaction

Oct 28, 2017
Its is , downloaded remnant of the ashes and i really like it, made me try new game and genre too

Oct 25, 2017
Absurd value. Well played Microsoft. If I get the next Xbox, it'll probably be because of Game Pass. I'm curious, why did you regret your purchase? I don't have an Xbox so I hate you guys for getting Outer Worlds day one lol
I don't have an Xbox either. I spent it for the PC service which is extremely sub-par right now because the Microsoft Store folder-lock DRM is preventing me from using Steam Remote Play and does not allow any mods to be used.

Those who bought Outer Worlds from Epic Store are able to use a mod that changes the Supernova difficulty so that you can save anywhere again and use fast travel, while keeping the other features like hunger meter and more difficult combat (the game is very easy on any other difficulty). Those who got it from Microsoft Store or Game Pass are not able to use it because Microsoft does not allow any mods.

Kingdom Come Deliverance announced full mod support for the game, but those playing it through GP are out of luck. Bloodstained has a whole mod section in their official forums, but they are not allowed on GP. Cities: Skylines has lots of custom buildings made for it, but GP players can't use them - that's a big loss because the game is about building your own city.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
User Banned (5 days): Thread whining over multiple posts, recent infractions for similar behaviour
Is it that hard to ignore a thread? we even have a button for it.
No, it isn't, but i can express my opinion can't i? I think the same about multiple redundant lttp threads, there are 'official' threads about games and also GP ,so why don't post there?
Seems like creating so many threads about the exact same topic is a bit looking for visibility. Usually related with advertising.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All you have to do is look at all the arguments against it, and who are making them, to see how much it kicks ass.

It's a great console warrior litmus test.

See above...

Is it that hard to ignore a thread? we even have a button for it.

What...and miss an opportunity to take a jab?...lol.

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
I don't have an Xbox either. I spent it for the PC service which is extremely sub-par right now because the Microsoft Store folder-lock DRM is preventing me from using Steam Remote Play and does not allow any mods to be used.

Those who bought Outer Worlds from Epic Store are able to use a mod that changes the Supernova difficulty so that you can save anywhere again and use fast travel, while keeping the other features like hunger meter and more difficult combat (the game is very easy on any other difficulty). Those who got it from Microsoft Store or Game Pass are not able to use it because Microsoft does not allow any mods.

Kingdom Come Deliverance announced full mod support for the game, but those playing it through GP are out of luck. Bloodstained has a whole mod section in their official forums, but they are not allowed on GP. Cities: Skylines has lots of custom buildings made for it, but GP players can't use them - that's a big loss because the game is about building your own city.
Ah OK, yeah, it seems like there is still work to be done on PC. But as a console gamer, this service is like a cheat code. Lucky bastards played Gears 5 and Outer Worlds day one lol

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Looking at my Top 10 list of the year so far (it'll change, no doubt)... five of the ten games are available on Game Pass currently (DMCV, Bloodstained, Outer Wilds, The Outer Worlds, Dirt Rally 2.0). Which is insane. And another is free with Nintendo Online (Tetris 99).

I am truly a child of the subscription model.

statham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FloRida
No, it isn't, but i can express my opinion can't i? I think the same about multiple redundant lttp threads, there are 'official' threads about games and also GP ,so why don't post there?
Seems like creating so many threads about the exact same topic is a bit looking for visibility. Usually related with advertising.
so thread whining. Got it.

and also calling him a shill, nice.

OldBenKenobi

Oct 25, 2017

Jesus man it bothers you that much?

It's a video game message board and people are talking about a great service. Just because weekly threats ago up about it doesn't mean it's advertising, it's because people find amazing value in it and want to post about it....

I don't see the problem?

Oct 25, 2017
so thread whining. Got it.

and also calling him a shill, nice.
You are allowed to disagree with an OP where the premise is "this service is good" when you think the service is bad. It would be different if I went to complain about the same thing in the Game Pass OT every day (I'm not doing that), but this is just a praise thread and people are going to disagree with it. I think Game Pass sucks as a PC player.

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
User warned: Thread whining.
Ya'll definitely advertising for MS at this point. No new GP thread is adding new info

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
Easily the best thing to happen this generation. It keeps getting better too and pays for itself. I also have 2 friends who are PC only players and both subscribed and love it.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
How do you get it less than $1 per month for every month of the year?
I had Xbox Gold until 2022 thanks to Microsoft Rewards and they required me a grand total of $1 to turn that Gold into Game Pass Ultimate. It's not that I pay less than a dollar every month, it's that I paid a dollar for 30 months or so.