• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kiriku

Oct 27, 2017
It's fine for the price but I feel like it's been a bit lacking these past months, and that console gamepass gets better stuff (ie games that appeal to me more).

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Gaming discussion is so weird. I'm not sure a topic about Spotify music streaming subscriptions would have someone pop up to say "definitely worth the 3 months free trial! "

such a weird thing. Likely warz related, but still weird.

It was a genuine post, but I can see why it came across that way.

I've written about why Game Pass isn't for me, but for a dollar, it's obviously worth it.

Nov 11, 2017
Bought a PC a few months back. I cancelled PS+ and picked up PC games pass... definitely the best deal in gaming by far. Have been playing AOE remasters, Halo MCC, Gears, State of Decay, TABS, Sea of Thieves, and more.

Started Carrion and got bored after an hour.

At the very least it has saved me a LOT of money in letting my try games.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If you're the one and done type with SP games it's really easy to come out ahead. I think the model works perfectly for that type of game in both directions. Even with the horrible app.

If they add streaming options without a huge price hike then it would be the best deal in PC gaming without question.
That's how I am with multiplatform games, exclusives are really the only ones I keep and Microsoft exclusives are always on gamepass anyway

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
I took a snapshot of the PAC library for a thread last week

JuQ1xHI.jpg

Good illustration of all the stuff on there. I have GPU, and while the console library is better, I still find myself playing GP games on PC more than anything (maybe that'll change with Series X).

The launcher is slowly getting better but still has issues, and they do need to revamp the whole game installation process. No need to put stuff in the locked WindowsApps folder. I've had little to no technical issues but I know a lot of folks get stuck when bugs happen with the windows store.

Just as a small tip, if you need to access the game files for some reason, or you get the bug where the game is gone from your library but still taking up space on the HDD, you can boot Windows into safe mode which should allow you free access to the WindowsApps folder to delete or modify whatever you need to do in there. But this step shouldn't be necessary. I think myself and others give them somewhat of a pass on this because of the value of the service, but it ain't cool. Hopefully they're working on that.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's kinda crazy and they've just released first party titles like Gears Tactics, Grounded and the new Ori, while we're getting third party games like Carrion, The Touryst, Neon Abyss, Streets of Rage 4 and others at the day of their release. It's absolutely ridiculous in terms of value.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Destiny being later 2021 means I will pay for Beyond light on PC. Not a big deal, but would have been cool if it was good to go now.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I have a Xbox one but primarily use game pass via my pc instead. It is indeed awesome.

GTSweet

Oct 27, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I'm confused, is everyone not using the Xbox (Beta) app on PC that houses GamePass, Xbox Live social, acquiring and launching games? I'm not sure, it may be using Windows Store behind the scenes, but I've never once had to go directly to the Windows 10 store to get any GamePass PC game. The Xbox app is incredibly easy to use for me though...

Alien Bob

Nov 25, 2017
My biggest problem with it is just the hoops I have to jump through to get the games to recognize a controller when I play via Steam Link, but I get that that's a rare case

Kemono

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A fantastic service if you like the games or if you usually don't buy/play that many games.

I used a great deal and got myself GP Ultimate until 2022 for around 120$. That comes down to 30$ a year. Even if i only play one big game form them each year it would be a steal.

But the regular 15$ a month plan isn't something i would pay for outside of the few times a game i really want (Fable, Psychonauts 2, Avowed, Hellblade 2) releases.

Not enough new and exclusive content for me personally.

I took a snapshot of the PAC library for a thread last week

JuQ1xHI.jpg

I counted the games that i find interesting or would at least give a one time test:

55 games in total.

1x i finished on Game Pass (Gears 5)
5x i tried on Games Pass for the 1st time, stopped and never touched again
49x i played on release on (PC, PS4, One, switch)

Outside of some of the Xbox Studios exclusives and the odd launch exclusive or rare indie hre and there i'm not the audience for this service it seems. That's a problem for a certain subset of gamers.

Users who buy their games day 1, and not "just" one or two each year, won't stop just because someday the game they want today "might" be on Game Pass.

But for more casual audiences or people without the time i think Game pass is a fantastic deal with great value.

vitormg

Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
If you boot into safe mode you can modify the files without worrying about permissions
After finding out about this, my life has been a lot easier. No more troubleshooting just do delete that damn WindosApp folder. Just boot into safe mode and get rid of the bastard.

That said, in spite of this locking you out of the files, Game Pass is something I'm planning to stay subbed for life. So much value for a neat monthly price. Love it

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Game Pass PC is cool but also has a lot of problems compared with the console counterpart or even in regard to pc gaming standards.

Like, you can't mod your game, or do any kind of troubleshooting that needs to change the game folders in any form, while the client is a mess and downloads often have problems. I know game pass on pc is still considered beta but some of this stuff is 100% MS decision, like locking the folders.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I'm confused, is everyone not using the Xbox (Beta) app on PC that houses GamePass, Xbox Live social, acquiring and launching games? I'm not sure, it may be using Windows Store behind the scenes, but I've never once had to go directly to the Windows 10 store to get any GamePass PC game. The Xbox app is incredibly easy to use for me though...

Curious about this as well. I don't go to the MS store at all.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
It's awesome when it actually works fucking properly. God do I hate the W10 store versions of games.

Metro Exodus literally feels like it was never patched (a bug ridden mess) and PSO2 has deleted itself from my system at least twice due to the W10 store screwing up.

Jul 26, 2018
Gotta be that negative guy here... imo, it's trash......

-For some reason, I couldn't play Gears 5 because the game stutters like crazy. Turns out that this caused by my other software which was Razer.
-Dead Rising 3 doesn't work.....
-Dead Rsing 4 kept crashing....

And the worse imo....

I can't even download Outer Worlds??? Why????? I have 5tb of storage.... everytime I click download, nothing happens....

I rather just buy these games at this point.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Users who buy their games day 1, and not "just" one or two each year, won't stop just because someday the game they want today "might" be on Game Pass.

Anecdotally. I have. I used to buy probably 2-3 new games per month on average, and since subbing to Game Pass (and then GPU), am probably more at like 2-3 new full priced games per year. There is just so much content on Game Pass/GP 4 PC that I don't feel a need to go buy every new game day one anymore, and am never stuck with nothing "new to me" to play.

Mania

Jan 27, 2018
I wish I could try it out, but the last time I tried to download Game Pass for PC it somehow bricked my GPU.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
If you boot into safe mode you can modify the files without worrying about permissions

2 moments where this wouldn't help me:

Wanted to use my directinput controller to play the games so i used 360ce most of the time to simulate xinput, but the 360ce archives need to be on the same directory as the game. Even if i could put them there in safe mode, they will disappear once i back to normal.

Tried to play Shenmue 1 + 2, but the launcher to select the game was bugged and didn't work. I could just click on the .exe of the games separately to play them, but MS didn't allowed me to do that since the files were locked. I could only play the game via client and launcher. I didn't even modified the files in any way, but no way to actually play the games because of that. Like, i don't think playing the games in safe mode is a viable option.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Mixed bag over here but it's changed the way I purchase games for sure and led to me trying to games I'd never of played plus it's great value for money.

Downloads are an issue, it does error every 10 minutes. Retrying works in fixing this. The selection does appear to have slowed down slightly the last few months (I heard FF8, 10 and 12 are coming months ago, I could kill for those during lockdown).

I'm also finding the urge to buy games on other platforms reducing significantly and especially if a publisher has a game on the platform.

Kemono

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anecdotally. I have. I used to buy probably 2-3 new games per month on average, and since subbing to Game Pass (and then GPU), am probably more at like 2-3 new full priced games per year. There is just so much content on Game Pass/GP 4 PC that I don't feel a need to go buy every new game day one anymore, and am never stuck with nothing "new to me" to play.

Absolutely.

A great service for many people.

I couldn't/wouldn't want to wait for games i look forward for. For example: A Plague Tale was such a gem and i'm very happy to have played it day 1 (even got the Platinum trophy).

patientx

Oct 26, 2017
Wait... doesn't xbox game pass for pc cover everything (on win10 pc) ? Why am I seeing that I can only but Grounded and it says I need xbox game pass to be able to download it ? I just downloaded Golf with your friends & Carrion but for this game only buying is an option _ How come ?

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
the PC offerings are inferior to console but it's cool too. It only costs $5 USD. Although the app certainly feels like a 5 usd app. It's garbage

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Curious about this as well. I don't go to the MS store at all.
I have to believe people are using the xbox app but any and all problems with that app seem to stem from it still using the windows Store in the background.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Beta or not, what I said doesn't change. This topic is about the quality of Gamepass on PC.

They can only announce their games? So did imagine all the other games in the showcase?

And sure, 3rd party games need to be ported to the MS store. Doesn't change the fact that those games aren't on PC Gamepass. Perhaps MS should be figuring out a way to make that easier or more likely.

So, I'll ask.
Why do you have the expectation that a $5/month service would have the same quality as a $10/month service ?

Oct 27, 2017
Wait... doesn't xbox game pass for pc cover everything (on win10 pc) ? Why am I seeing that I can only but Grounded and it says I need xbox game pass to be able to download it ? I just downloaded Golf with your friends & Carrion but for this game only buying is an option _ How come ?
some games are only licensed for console version of game pass

Ah so Phil lies when he said every game from here on out is on gamepass
he chose his words very carefully (as usual), and said every game was either coming as part of the sub or free to play — and technically "Crossfire X" is free to play and enjoyable as part of your GPU sub... just not the whole game.

I'd be surprised if it didn't show up in future though if they are already making those kinds of deals with MS.

Max A.

Oct 27, 2017
I love the concept of Gamepass more than the content itself, I wish anybody else other than Microsoft was in charge of it. Valve or Epic would knock it out of the park, but I feel like MS is doing the bare minimum, especially on the software side.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
It isn't $1 though. That's like saying Apple Music is free.

I'm talking about the one month trial, of course. You can play through quite a few games within that period of time. Unless something has changed, anyone who tries Game Pass is entitled to one month for a dollar. I reckon if there's a new batch of games you want to clear through on the cheap in the future, paying for one month and unsubbing would be economical, too.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's useless as long as the app is such trash. I don't know why the fuck they think locking the directory folders is a good idea.

patientx

Oct 26, 2017
some games are only licensed for console version of game pass

Well I was able to download it via windows store, thanks to the talk here about not requring to enter to the store to get anything, in the XBOX app -which I was using up to this point- only buying is available but in the store I can also install the game which sees that I have the gamepass and so lets me do it.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Well I was able to download it via windows store, thanks to the talk here about not requring to enter to the store to get anything, in the XBOX app -which I was using up to this point- only buying is available but in the store I can also install the game which sees that I have the gamepass and so lets me do it.
I was going to suggest trying the Gamepass mobile app.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
At $5 it seems ok, you still need to buy games outside of Gamepass, and you get to keep games you buy so it's probably best to get them on the crazy amount of deals, and freebies we get on PC.

I like returning to games, and I usually don't get around to playing or finishing games especially if I got it free or on a sale. I wouldn't even suggest GP to my nephew which play a lot of games on PC, because he has PS+ and gets a lot of EGS, Amazon/twitch Prime, freebies that publishers offer randomly (like the recent Watch Dogs 2 from Ubisoft, I actually have almost all of the pre Odyssey Assassin's Creed because of Ubisoft), and games on deep sales. No subscription fee.

PC games are so cheap after a year or a few months. I got Assassin's Creed Odyssey mega collection all boxes ticked (follow the Ubisoft game buy chart) for like $25 or something very low and it's around $100 normally (just googled, and Ultimate Edition is normally $119.99 US, and it has a -67% off price of $39.59 at the moment).

Gotta be that negative guy here... imo, it's trash......

-For some reason, I couldn't play Gears 5 because the game stutters like crazy. Turns out that this caused by my other software which was Razer.
-Dead Rising 3 doesn't work.....
-Dead Rsing 4 kept crashing....

And the worse imo....

I can't even download Outer Worlds??? Why????? I have 5tb of storage.... everytime I click download, nothing happens....

I rather just buy these games at this point.
I had a game that I started download to see the file size, then tried canceling it multiple times, finally got it canceled, and the next month maybe during a windows update it downloaded without me knowing (I checked my internet use to find out when it downloaded). To say Microsoft makes the OS, I would have thought this would be easy for them.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
Being shackled to the Windows Store client means that even though I have a GPU subscription I'd just as soon buy those games on Steam so that I can use a launcher and ecosystem that I actually like. I'm holding out hope that MS strikes a deal with Valve to make it available there the same that Origin Access will be.