• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Similar to how a lot YouTube channels only were displaying 720p around the time of the release of the previous generation of consoles... we are running into a new problem that is severely hindering the actual upgrades of these games that are being debuted.

Compare the following trailers (please select the maximum bandwidth for each one)

Xbox Channel CHORUS Trailer 4K

IGN Channel CHORUS Trailer 1080p

The difference is tremendous to me personally, especially when being viewed from a proper 4k display. The amount of clarity is really a huge portion of what is so impressive about the game itself. What is the limitation on behalf of the gaming outlets to not reupload in 4k? Gamespot's reuploads arguably even look worse.

Xbox's Channel AC Valhalla Trailer 4K

www.youtube.com

Assassin’s Creed Valhalla: First Look Gameplay Trailer | Ubisoft NA

Get a first look at gameplay for Assassin’s Creed Valhalla. Footage is representative of Xbox Series X gameplay!Ninth century AD. Driven from Norway by endle...

Gamespot Channel AC Valhalla Trailer 1080p

www.youtube.com

Assassin’s Creed Valhalla - Official First Look Trailer | Inside Xbox

Get a first look at gameplay for Assassin’s Creed Valhalla. Footage is representative of Xbox Series X gameplay!Ninth century AD. Driven from Norway by endle...

I'm genuinely curious if this is what is largely contributing to a lot of people not finding the footage particularly impressive.

Last edited:

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but I imagine the reason they haven't is because it's not worth the cost.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
This was a significant problem for me yesterday, attempting to tune into the stream. YouTube recommended me a dozen rehosted 1080p streams with reactions & commentary - couldn't get the official XBOX one to surface in the search.

OP
OP
Vire

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see a 4k option for the Chorus trailer on youtube?
mZh9p7m.png

Oct 27, 2017
Not to draw attention away from the main point, but isn't this exacerbated at the moment by the lower streaming quality imposed by the likes of YouTube? In normal circumstances, I've never found 1080p uploads to be lacking. Yesterday's official Xbox live stream was also 1080p and the image quality was very middling for me.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This is more a PR problem than a game outlets problem. They're the ones sending out the files for press to download and upload.

For example, Deep Silver sent out the download for the Chorus trailer yesterday, and it was the 100-something MB 1080p trailer that IGN uploaded. I uploaded the same file for Gematsu.

Systemic Reaction also sent out the download for Second Extinction trailer yesterday, which was a 15 GB 4K trailer. Which I also downloaded and uploaded, but it took a good amount of time to download, upload, and process.

Obviously I prefer the second, but it's up to PR to make those files available to us. (Though, if they could *not* make us download 15 GB files a two-minute video, that'd be great.)

OP
OP
Vire

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is more a PR problem than a game outlets problem. They're the ones sending out the files for press to download and upload.

For example, Deep Silver sent out the download for the Chorus trailer yesterday, and it was the 100-something MB 1080p trailer that IGN uploaded. I uploaded the same file for Gematsu.

Systemic Reaction also sent out the download for Second Extinction trailer yesterday, which was a 15 GB 4K trailer. Which I also downloaded and uploaded, but it took a good amount of time to download, upload, and process.

Obviously I prefer the second, but it's up to PR to make those files available to us. (Though, if they could *not* make us download 15 GB files a two-minute video, that'd be great.)
I should have maybe been more clear, I'm not necessarily pointing the finger at outlets. I'm just trying to figure out the reason for it. Is it a money thing? Youtube limitation? PR as you said? Or a time thing?

Hopefully it gets sorted out, just was bringing attention to it because I feel if people really watched the trailers at the maximum res on 4K screen they would be impressed.

Jorden1506

May 29, 2018
Netherlands
It is press assets problems. Even the old editing software vegas pro 16 had 4k so those outlets definitely have 4K options but trailer assets are still mostly 1080p

Oct 27, 2017
I should have maybe been more clear, I'm not necessarily pointing the finger at outlets. I'm just trying to figure out the reason for it. Is it a money thing? Youtube limitation? PR as you said? Or a time thing?

Hopefully it gets sorted out, just was bringing attention to it because I feel if people really watched the trailers at the maximum res on 4K screen they would be impressed.
You're not wrong. I just rewatched Chorus at 4K and that made a difference for me.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
On a similar vein, if the PS Store is going to auto-play game trailers when you click on a game, can we at least get them at 1080p? It's not an internet issue either, I have seen this on PS4 consoles across several households, it's always a blocky, low-res mess.

I tried it in Chrome and was able to watch it in 4k there, thanks! For some reason the 4k option won't show up for me in Safari. Great to watch that trailer in 4k. I'm def interested in this game.

Safari doesn't support 4K in YouTube because Apple won't adopt Google's VP9 codec.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely a problem for a while now. I remember the PS4 Pro reveal fell flat for me because the improvements; better resolution and HDR werent really apparent during the stream.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
A big part is because the vast majority of people can't view 4k content, don't have the bandwidth or don't even know what it is. Take out all the people that cant even view it or would even know about it and you have a very small group. And most outlets aren't gonna cater to such a super small niche group, or want to pay for the added cost. Unless it's catering specifically to enthusiasts.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
downscaled 4k just looks like cleaner 1080p. most people will view these videos on 1080p laptops or phones where even having 4k doesnt really make difference due too screen size.