• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GAME OF THRONES: Which season of the show was the worst?

• Season 8

Votes: 1,018 86.7%
  • Season 7

Votes: 43 3.7%
  • Season 6

Votes: 14 1.2%
  • Season 5

Votes: 89 7.6%
  • One of the seasons between 1 to 4

Votes: 10 0.9%

• Total voters

Steven

Oct 27, 2017
5, 7, and 8 are legitimately awful, bad TV. 6 wasn't great like 1-4, it just wasn't as bad as those other 3.

Insane that not only did 8 fuck it up all up, they essentially fucked up half of the series with bad writing.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
5 was everything people feared it would be: they ran out of book material for most characters and started floundering. Very boring floundering. 7 at least had a few highs but set the groundwork for the rushed mess all the plotlines became.

8 was shameful television writing elevated by unmatched production value and felt like a waste, but my experience watching it will always have the memories of the /freefolk memes and hate watch spirit the community picked up on which elevated the sadness.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
Tough one, because while 7 and particularly 8 were awful in terms of writing at least they were visually spectacular, fast pacing (obviously too fast in many cases) and were kind've a glorious train wreck.

But parts of 5/6 were just fucking boring and a slog. All the Dorne stuff and the stuff with the religious fanatics was hard work.
I think 5 is possibly the season I'd least like to sit through again.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
9ZqQf0J.png

Show yourself.

cubicle47b

Aug 9, 2019
5 was bad, 7 was terrible, 8 made me want to forget the series exists especially since GRRM is never going to finish the books.

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
7 by far, with 6 close behind. 8 was at least beautifully shot but was missing 3 episodes. 8's story issues were also not entirely its own, 7 set it up to fail for the most part.

Eh, I think season 8 deserves full blame for it's mess of a story regardless of where individual ideas came from.

The biggest underlying problems came from having no clear path to the planned ending. Characters constantly acted in ways that made no sense just to move the plot forward.

The broad strokes they tried to fill in could have worked if they were properly set up, but it never even came close to coherent plot progression.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Season 8 was bad but entertaining. Season 6 was the most boring, or was it 5? Not sure. Somewhere in the middle though.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
S05 still has some iconic moments

92c9776381398a3d14f101202b86bf50.gif

1fNZ.gif

Even if Dorne and Arya being stuck in a dark room all day were dumb.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Season 8 for me and just like the ending of How I Met Your Mother it ruined the whole show for me.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Season 5 gets undue hate. Yeah, it kind of sucked, but at least it still felt like Game of Thrones. The last three seasons felt like an entirely different show. I'd rather have a poor version of something that's good than whatever the hell we got in seasons six through eight.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
8 and 7 are the most obviously bad but 5 is where I realised all my worst fears about the show were true and the showrunners had no idea what they were doing.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
Which season had Arya training with the dude in that one city. That one. The show was already near unwatcheable as of then. Or the season with Dorne? Was that the same season? It was all just so much shit at that point. Still havent seen season 8.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Season 8 was fine until the Night King actually showed up at Winterfell.

Everything after that episode was terrible.

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
Season 8 was the worst season but I think S7 had its lowest point with the godawful frozen lake episode.

Oct 29, 2017
Season 8 was not only the worst quality-wise, but had the added burden of being a terrible ending to a show that started out with loads of promise. It was legitimately an all-time great in it's first half.

The last season killed any interest I have in revisiting it.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
The real substantial rot started around season 5, but 8 takes the cake because it completely makes everything that happened before worthless. It's so bad that I have lost all desire to ever rewatch the series as whole.
Season 1 may be the only one I watch again. Maybe.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Season 8. Season 5 is the second worst and I kind of wrote it off as an anomaly because season 6 was great... But I was so, so wrong.

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
Last season was the worst but I personally hate season 5 with a passion...and I can pinpoint the moment i started hating it too. It's when Jaime visits Bronn and Bronn says "it's Jame Fucking Lannister. I remember telling my gf that the dialog felt weird in that episode and it just never felt the same since.

LawfulEnder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The decline began with 5, and 5-7 were all pretty rough, but the worst season is 8 by a mile.

heathen earth

Mar 21, 2020
Whichever season it was that had Jamie and Bronn pointlessly fucking around in Dorne the entire time. The last season was not good, but it didn't come close to that shitshow.

"You need the bad pussy." Christ.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't re-watched anything since season 5 so I'm a bit hazy on them. Looking at the episode list, 5, 7 and 8 seem pretty much on par. But 8 will always dominate these polls since it took away all hope for good.

Oct 27, 2017
8. So damn rushed and D&D just gave up on it to do something else.
Anyone that hires those two hacks and quitters deserves what they get.

Carian Knight

Oct 27, 2017
Turkey
Correct me if I'm wrong but George R.R. Martin's direct impact stopped after the S4 right? IMO S1 to S4 is still one of the best shows ever made.

I'm excluding all the episodes of Brotherhood Without Banners because they were my favorite thing in the show, Season 5 has Hardhome (my top fav episode), Season 6 has The Door and BotB. I have to go with Season 7 because mind-bending "save every important character no matter what and let people time travel easily" was so annoying. Why I didn't vote for S8? Because it doesn't belong to GoT it's a parody mini-show, a side project made by those who think GoT should go to hell and never to be remembered again.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Season 8 made me want to never think about the show or books ever again. It's the worst conclusion to a TV series...no, to a story through any medium that I have experienced.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Season 8 and it's not even close. I completely lost interest in any GoT material going forward after that garbage season.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
8, 5 being close second, then 7
The writers lost their fucking minds in 7 and 8, but they threw dorne in the toilet in 5.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
That poll will be ridiculously lopsided towards 8. You should have made it about "other than 8" if you want more varied choices lol

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Season 8 at least had one good episode (when Brienne gets knighted), which puts it above Season 7.

I'm also staring at an ad for some shitty GOT browser game as I type this. The algorithm still thinks I like this show because I visit the subreddit for the books. I honestly can't believe a single person on Earth gives one fuck about this brand anymore.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
That poll will be ridiculously lopsided towards 8. You should have made it about "other than 8" if you want more varied choices lol
yeah I dunno why I assumed others don't hate season 8 as much as I do :\ it might be worth it to give it a try in a few weeks if this thread dies out soon

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Voted 8, but on rewatching the show I could see the real answer being season 7, the latter half of 8 is just so incredibly bad and everything feels rushed beyond belief.

The problem with the show was never where everyone ended up at the end, none of it felt earned and the actions of many characters just didn't feel right as some of them just turned on a dime.

King Bran the broken? Seriously? The boy was a walking Wikipedia that hardly did anything towards the end, his fate was the least earned of anyone in the entire show.

Jamie the eternal sister loving asshole? You spend the entire show having his arch coming to terms with how shit of a person he was and just throw that out the window at the very end (pun intended), at least spend more than two minutes trying to explain that turn. Also didn't help that he seemingly wouldn't have died if he just stood a little more to the right.

Jon Snow, Jesus of Westeros? You spend most of the show following his rise as the next king of the North and just send him in to exile for the audacity of having the most common sense of any leader in the show.

The Night King spends the entire show walking across the north and building his army but forgets Arya has a dagger, fucking really? It's hard to summarize just how disappointing this character was treated after spending so much time building an aura of fear and anticipation around him.

Cersei, the true final boss of the show? Absolutely fantastic character that actually had a great character arch in the final seasons with her war with the church, yet the entirety of season 8 she is just drinking wine and waiting for the mother of dragons to attack Kings Landing because she lost the will to live after her political aspirations killed her children.

Arya Stark spends the entire show learning to become Agent 47 and yet her only real power that mattered was plot armor? Of all the characters in the show it really felt like they didn't really know what do with her from season 5 onwards, her only meaningful action in season 8 was having dumb luck explained by The Night King being too cocky.

The list just goes on and on, they completely botched the landing despite easily having material for two more seasons that could maybe have done a lot to save it by actually taking time to make the character motivations and actions feel believable towards the end.

Game of Thrones was one of my all time favorite TV shows, but boy did the final seasons ruin it for me. It's such a shame since George R. R. Martin has created a wonderful universe with remarkable characters centered around what is primarily political power struggles, season 1-4 are remarkably well written character dramas.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Season 5 is worse than Season 8. It gets passed over but there is a lot of dumb shit in that season. All the Dorne stuff is just awful. Arya's plot line and the High Sparrow stuff are okay but they drag. There are a couple of bright moments. I enjoyed Hardhome and the latter half of the season is somewhat better. But generally speaking it's an enormous dip from S4.

They are both bad seasons but Season 8 can be a fun kind of stupid, Season 5 is a boring and cringe-worthy kind of stupid.
Agree, season 5 was the moment I stopped giving a shit about the characters and just hoped it would end quickly. There were some incredible moments with Jon Snow but the rest was mediocre. Character assassination didn't start with Season 8, actually at that point I was there only to see everyone die. The ending isn't even that bad considering the pile of shit the writers decided to build around those last seasons.

Nov 23, 2017
Season 8 singlehandedly destroyed the Game of Thrones franchise from the minds of millions of people. It's that bad. Episode 2 of Season 8 gave so much promise for the future and it went alllllll downhill.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
7 wasn't great but I was willing to overlook it's flaws because there were still some enjoyment moments. 8 was just flat out terrible though and completely killed off my love of the series.