• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Is Creative Emmys a indicator of wide support (sort of like PGA, DGA etc for Oscars)?

After that, everything is sort of a big, dragon-sized blur because Game Of Thrones seriously won a literal ton of Creative Arts Emmys (or at least 10) and that's all before the major categories next week, so it stands to win even more. Chernobyl and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel also won a good amount, but this is definitely Thrones' year (again).

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
This isn't the "main" Emmys, those are next week, these are the Creative Arts Emmys, and they did deserve a lot of these.

Next weekend is the big Primetime Emmy show, so prepare for Game of Thrones to sweep once more. If we are lucky, Fleabag will sweep its category to take the pain away.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
For the record, here are the Emmy's it won:

Sound Editing For A Comedy Or Drama Series (one Hour): Game Of Thrones

Special Visual Effects: Game Of Thrones, "The Bells"

Fantasy/sci-fi Costumes: Game Of Thrones, "The Bells"

Makeup For A Single-camera Series (non-prosthetic): Game Of Thrones, "The Long Night"

Stunt Coordination For A Drama Series, Limited Series Or Movie: Game Of Thrones

Main Title Design: Game Of Thrones

Music Composition For A Series (original Dramatic Score): Game Of Thrones

Casting For A Drama Series: Game Of Thrones

Single-camera Picture Editing For A Drama Series: Game Of Thrones, "The Long Night"

Sound Mixing For A Comedy Or Drama Series (one Hour): Game Of Thrones, "The Long Night"

Given that even the harshest critics of the series admit that basically the whole show was firing on all cylinders except in the catergory of writing, these awards seem pretty reasonable.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
These are the more technical awards and for the less sexy departments. GOT screwed the pooch with writing, not everyone else who brought their A-games. Really no controversy here.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Game of Thrones won best costumes for 'The Bells' and best title design, and I didn't know that 2nd one was a thing

OP
OP
BringBackSonics
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
This isn't the "main" Emmys, those are next week, these are the Creative Arts Emmys, and they did deserve a lot of these.

Next weekend is the big Primetime Emmy show, so prepare for Game of Thrones to sweep once more. If we are lucky, Fleabag will sweep its category to take the pain away.

Hbo might have a good night with Chernobyl as well

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Game of Thrones ain't winning best lighting for The Long Night that's for damn sure.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
So it's not like the golden globes, where it's kind of just a popularity contest with a small group of writers (Hollywood foreign press)
They can be sometimes, but they also have their favorites and like to throw a surprise here and there. Game of Thrones has won multiple times and I don't see them refusing them for their final bow, even if it is as controversial as it was. They love having their multi-Emmy winners - look at Julia Louis-Dreyfus controlling the Best Actress in a Comedy Series for nearly a decade now. I'm actually hoping Phoebe Waller-Bridge might upset her this year, but we'll see. I wouldn't even be surprised if Peter Dinklage won again as they'll award him anything (he was great this season though so I don't care).

The Globes are actually really fun for television, they do their own thing and can have inspired wins sometimes. They stopped being the huge star-chasers they used to be in regards to movies (at least with their wins, around the time Ricky Gervas tore them a new one) and are more of a boring "predict the Oscars" nonsense these days. The Glenn Close win last year was fun though.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
yeah, as much as I shit on the final season of GoT the acting and technical wizardry were all top notch and well deserved wins. If however it wins any emmys for writing that would be a big joke.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Why not? Even with some of the dodgy writing, I can appreciate the technical quality. The carnage dipicted in The Bells was something else.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
I spent a lot of time giving serious consideration to all the intense criticism of the final season when it was airing. after all of that, I still think it fuckin owned and will absolutely watch it again sometime.

Not a single thing anyone has said has been able to convince me I tricked myself into liking what I watched. people who watch it in the future far removed from the discussion around it will probably more often than not see the cool shit I saw in it.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
Well, these were to be expected, the show does deserve all the technical awards it had received over the years, no doubt.

Next week is when the fuckery happens and I can't wait for Internet to lose it's mind over GoT one more final time.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I had no issue with the visual and effects other than episode 3's brightness slider/lighting. The story is what let GOT 8 down big time. Should have ended at episode 2.

Untzillatx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basque Country
All completely deserved. If you take the writing out of the picture, everything else was of the utmost quality, particularly from a technical standpoint. The crew really deserves all the awards they get.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Even if some of these are deserved, and some of them definitely are, a friendly reminder that the Emmy's are garbage. The Haunting of Hill House didn't get a single nomination.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
It and Chernobyl deserved all of this. Everything but the writing in GoT season 8 was impressive as all hell. It'll be next Sunday that determines whether the Emmys are a joke or not.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Every single aspect of the production that wasn't the writing staff turned out world-class, genre-defining work. These awards are well-earned.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
The documentary really showed how a lot of the people in a lot of departments really have it their all.

It really is whether next week's awards will be a bit rewarding the series for its overall run rather than the episodes in question.

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
For all its flaws, GoT was decidedly NOT lacking in production values. Winning a slew of technical awards is only to be expected.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Looking at the awards it won, makes sense for it to clean up like this to me. The writing may have slouched by the end but the rest of the teams behind the camera did an incredible job still and deserve recognition for it. Be interesting to see what other awards it'll win.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Makeup For A Single-camera Series (non-prosthetic): Game Of Thrones, "The Long Night"

Single-camera Picture Editing For A Drama Series: Game Of Thrones, "The Long Night"

Sound Mixing For A Comedy Or Drama Series (one Hour): Game Of Thrones, "The Long Night"

Given that even the harshest critics of the series admit that basically the whole show was firing on all cylinders except in the catergory of writing, these awards seem pretty reasonable.

Those are all deserved.

Coleslaw

Nov 3, 2018

Yeah as one of the "harshest critics" I have no problem with this, as long as Dickbutt and Dingleberry don't get anything. Back me up Bobby B!

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Casting is weird as I can't remember any notable new charachters other than head golden company guy, guess it's for the whole 8 seasons

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018

these are all technical awards which i agree that GoT is deserving of it.

However, if GoT final season is going to win any awards regarding screenplay, then oh boy...what can i say......

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
These are all deserved so fair enough. If it wins the best show or best writing then that would be a joke.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019

it deserves everything except writing awards and acting awards for Jon and Cersei (who had no material to work with)

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah to be fair GoT deservedly winning technical categories is no controversy.

Issue was with the writing and acting.

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I'm fine with every price this season receives as long as it's not for D&D. I really hope those 2 don't get any accolades for this.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with every price this season receives as long as it's not for D&D. I really hope those 2 don't get any accolades for this.

They're actually up for writing. The only award I'm staunchly opposed to the show winning. The acting categories are up for debate but I'm not bothered and certainly the technical side deserves its accolades.

Olaf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy for the production crew getting some redemption after having to film whatever crap D&D made them film.