• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
Is this going to be an Anthology show? Each season being a different Targ ruler?

I think the Long Night prequel was doomed from the start because it wasn't about dragons. It is what GoT was known for. Although after the Conquest the dragons are kind of just there in all the historical stuff and it is all almost Targs fucking or not fucking their sister/wives until the Dance.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Not really surprising. Going back to the Long Night and the WWs is too much of a rethread of the part people didn't care that much for and which was trashed with S8, while focusing on the Targaryens is a lot more likely to revolve around the kind of material that larger mainstream audiences enjoyed which is the political bickering, the sex, the backstabbing, and wars among kingdoms.

Safer choice, and between those two options there is actually little to work with. It will feel like more of the same whatever they do, they'll have to catch lightning in a bottle a second time if they're going to have another big success, but the mystery is all gone so all they can really depend on is impeccable acting and writing. Not very likely.

The show will likely face the same situation most sequels to big successes go through: mostly newcomers who want to hop in to get their time in the limelight, lots of yes-men because no one will want to take difficult decisions or compromise themselves. Everyone will just want to take a ride in the fancy car, no one will want to own it.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not really surprising. Going back to the Long Night and the WWs is too much of a rethread of the part people didn't care that much for and which was trashed with S8, while focusing on the Targaryens is a lot more likely to revolve around the kind of material that larger mainstream audiences enjoyed which is the political bickering, the sex, the backstabbing, and wars among kingdoms.

Safer choice, and between those two options there is actually little to work with. It will feel like more of the same whatever they do, they'll have to catch lightning in a bottle a second time if they're going to have another big success, but the mystery is all gone so all they can really depend on is impeccable acting and writing. Not very likely.

The show will likely face the same situation most sequels to big successes go through: mostly newcomers who want to hop in to get their time in the limelight, lots of yes-men because no one will want to take difficult decisions or compromise themselves. Everyone will just want to take a ride in the fancy car, no one will want to own it.

Or it could be Better Call Saul and end up better than the original. It already has a better show runner, so at least it has that going for it.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Or it could be Better Call Saul and end up better than the original. It already has a better show runner, so at least it has that going for it.

Well BCS is not more or even close to as popular as BB was. I don't think people will care that much for HotD, a lot has changed since AGoT first aired, there's too much competition. They can't grab the attention like they did before.

I think the best they could do is get the biggest actors/actresses in Hollywood, it's the only way they can really make a statement about acting and writing quality, which is what I think they are trying to do marketing-wise by going with this setting. If they go with unknowns they'll be starting off from way further back than they should.

They can't get the original cast back, but they have to start with the equivalent pull.

I'm just talking about marketing here really, personally I don't care, I just want quality.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
One issue is if it's only a few hundred years earlier, there's a likelihood Westeros isn't going to look very different. All the familiar landmarks would be there, we kinda saw enough of some of those locations (I can't say I want to ever see the Winterfell courtyard again). While it's a better premise than the Long Night project, that one at least was so long ago that Westeros would look completely different, different settlements and families, even different tech level.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Who is the head writer? I'm hyped, because this is great, though it does fly in the face of GRRM's "we're not telling existing stories which is why we're not doing Robert's Rebellion" BS.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm immensely looking forward to it. I can't wait to see what Sapochnik can do when he's not tied down by the strange whims of Weiss and Benioff.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
This will be good reverse psychology to force Martin to finish Winds. He avoided working on ASOIAF while GOT was airing, now he'll avoid working on F&B2 while that show is airing.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I bet Bryan Cogman is super pissed right now. This was his project that HBO rejected earlier this year. Then when he leaves, they changed their minds and decided to do it lol. He still gets to work on Lord of the Rings at least.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Long Night always seemed kind of weird and I'm pretty done with White Walkers so this is definitely more exciting.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Very excited and was always hoping it would happen as it makes the most sense. Plenty of content to cover prior to the War that's interesting.

Well BCS is not more or even close to as popular as BB was. I don't think people will care that much for HotD, a lot has changed since AGoT first aired, there's too much competition. They can't grab the attention like they did before.

I think the best they could do is get the biggest actors/actresses in Hollywood, it's the only way they can really make a statement about acting and writing quality, which is what I think they are trying to do marketing-wise by going with this setting. If they go with unknowns they'll be starting off from way further back than they should.

They can't get the original cast back, but they have to start with the equivalent pull.

I'm just talking about marketing here really, personally I don't care, I just want quality.
I think this show has far easier potential to market than what GOT had to start with. Two sides, Green or Black and going full out. So many interesting moments throughout The dance of Dragons they can pull from as slogans. I mean, they hired talent for the failed pilot that the cast likely doesn't seem like it's going to be an issue even from marketing.

MCee

Oct 28, 2017
Bay Area
I would have liked to have had this and the cancelled show playing in different seasons of the year even with how anticlimactically and badly the walkers were handled but whatever. Maybe the issues were that glaring.

Glad to see Sapochnik getting this opportunity to help run a series. Optimistic about it.

I was hoping D&D being involved with Star Wars might have gotten us a Sapochnik directed movie with music by Djawadi but alas. As someone else said, hope Djawadi composes this new series. He should be to Game Of Thrones what John Williams has been to Star Wars.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
HBO: We weren't comfortable with the last one because it was a part of the world you haven't expanded on, so we were not sure where it was going. We don't want another D&D situation. Thankfully you already wrote and completed this book, so we have a skeleton of an outline...

GRRM: well actually it's just the first volume in a two volume set...

HBO: and...how far along is the second volume...

GRRM: *chuckles*

HBO: oh god, not again...

giphy.gif

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
The prequel set thousands of years earlier sounded way, way, way more interesting and "mysterious" than the story of how the Targs fucked everything up - most of GoT has been about how those in power become stupid and corrupt and fuck everything up so its not exactly breaking new ground. Also wanted to see tons and tons of characters say Asshai :(

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
From the c oncept I was more interested in the other series. Earlier Targaryen days is all very familiar through endless anecdotes in GoT/SoIaF. The other series had potential to show us people and stories that were all new, all fresh.

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The prequel set thousands of years earlier sounded way, way, way more interesting and "mysterious" than the story of how the Targs fucked everything up - most of GoT has been about how those in power become stupid and corrupt and fuck everything up so its not exactly breaking new ground. Also wanted to see tons and tons of characters say Asshai :(

the problem with the mysterious history prequel was that even the show writers didnt know the story

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is the Valyria prequel right?

EDIT: Aw, the WW focused prequel got canned? ( .__.)

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Wasn't sold until I saw Sapochnik.

Wonder how they'll do it. Fire and Blood is great, but not immediately the most filmable.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
While this could certainly be a great setting for more stories I'm a bit disappointed that this isn't covering the Doom of Valyria, I thought that was going to be a show.

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if HBO went ahead with this one just because it has source material supporting it.

Will we get all 8 seasons before the second half of Fire and Blood is published?

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I'm expecting Fire & Blood 2 to be finished on time. The more he writes on that one, the less he can work on Winds of Winter.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'll take it. I admit I was not enamored with Fire and Blood. Rushed out to get it release day, read it in two or three days, didn't reveal anything new or shocking. But I can see why HBO would option this: it's 90% political intrigue.

mujun

Nov 1, 2017
So is the Naomi Watts one the one that is about Bran the Builder? Or is that a third one?

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
I hope we get to see the dance. The show will br about the Targaryen yet it's the Velaryon I'm interested in.

Corlys. Alyn. Addam.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I'm expecting Fire & Blood 2 to be finished on time. The more he writes on that one, the less he can work on Winds of Winter.

Fire & Blood 2 being framed as a historical text is in Martin's favour—he only has to provide a broad sweep of events rather than dramatising it all in great detail.

That's going to be the challenge of the show though—the showrunner and writers are going to have to flesh out the historical outline of the novel, and that's going to require a lot of creative work.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
So is the Naomi Watts one the one that is about Bran the Builder? Or is that a third one?

I doubt this is the Naomi Watts thing being developed. Fire & Blood was about Targaryen stuff from the past, largely in the east for about 30% of the book, which was largely separated from Westeros until Aegon The Conqueror came over. Watts's show seems to be about the world thousands of years before that happened and takes place in the west - if we are to believe the leaks.

Anomander

Oct 27, 2017
Not really surprised that they went with the generic silver-haired white people story. I just hope Bloodravern is in this.

Oct 28, 2017
I bet Bryan Cogman is super pissed right now. This was his project that HBO rejected earlier this year. Then when he leaves, they changed their minds and decided to do it lol. He still gets to work on Lord of the Rings at least.

Yeah, it's a pity. Bryan's episodes were some of the best in GoT, and you could feel that he cared a lot more about the ASOIAF lore than D&D. This show with Cogman as showrunner would have been amazing

I wish he could at least write some episodes, but his Amazon deal probably doesn't allow that

Secondspace

Dec 12, 2017
This makes a lot more sense, there's a complete book with a lot of material, battles, dragons, it can use a lot of the same locations (they might not) and there's a lot of plotting. The scenes with a couple of people in a room will offset the cost of all the dragons.

My only doubt about it is the theory that it's a big book of lies is pretty compelling. I wonder if they just ignore that and deliver it all as it's told. That was going to be a problem with the age of heroes or a Dunk And Egg book as well though.