• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Hydrus

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, btw, thanks mods for fixing the title. I'm sick and my head isn't working right

Flaurehn

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico City
For people who want to avoid spolers: This has no actual scenes from the show, is rather something they filmed exclusively to be a teaser.

That said: INTO MY VEINS!

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Season 7 was amazing, please don't tell me you're one of those people who was upset because they didn't show them traveling for days.
No, I'm one of those people who don't like deus ex machina in storytelling (which Season 7 uses copiously), and also do not like inconsistency in storytelling (which abounds in S7).
Traveling time is a symptom of the problem, not the problem, and way down the list anyway.

Never said otherwise.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I dont hate season 7, but I'll admit the writing was not good. But to be fair, D&D wanted it to be the final season. HBO we're the one's that wanted two more, so they had to meet in the middle and do 13 final episodes. Blame HBO.

Oh btw, OFFICIALY 90 DAYS TO GO!!!

Sorry but I'm not going to blame HBO here. There are plenty of ways to fix most of the writing problems fairly easily. They didn't. Cutting it wouldn't necessarily fix what was broken.

Oct 27, 2017
Jon's statue was of an older man... Jon ruling like Aragorn? Sansa and Arya weren't so lucky... foreshadowing or just a bad like was of Jon??!

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying you are a hipster. You are more than entitled to your opinion

But thinking that most people consider S7 a "trash fire" is wildly off the mark. Ots probably the most well regarded season yet
My general impression is that 3, 4, and 6 are the best regarded seasons. 7 is just the most viewed one, so the volume of positive impressions is higher, but the proportion falls lower than those three.
I may be wrong about that in any case, but I feel like regardless of popular reception, 7 is the weakest season of the show yet.

Oct 27, 2017
I dont hate season 7, but I'll admit the writing was not good. But to be fair, D&D wanted it to be the final season. HBO we're the one's that wanted two more, so they had to meet in the middle and do 13 final episodes. Blame HBO.

Man, how in the world would they have wrapped everything up in only 7 seasons? Wrapping things up in the 6 episodes left already feels like its just rushing through things hilariously fast but it really just reinforces how D&D wanted to film the Red Wedding and kind of lost any real interest in the show once they got past the book material since everything post season 4 feels like you're watching the Cliffnotes version or something.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Game of Thrones has become one of those things that is difficult to discuss on Era. Kinda like Destiny over in the Gaming section

Just a huge disconnect between the forum and the majority's opinions

Yeah some forum reactions to season 7 were completely disconnected from irl. Every episode had people on gaf complaining and people on my Facebook praising

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Has HBO come out and said it's going be 6 episodes yet? I know they've said that in the past just curious if that is still official.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
tenor.gif

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
People watch tv shows from the begining

So they would have had to catch up on the higher qualitg seasons to watch these low quality seasons live

I really dont get what gendry jogging to the wall adds that made people skip the first 4 seasons apparently

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
While 7 is extremely shallow, it did what it could with what 6 and even 5 set up for it. The only sour points that come to mind is the Littlefinger/Winterfell plot, setting up a love/jealousy tale with Tyrion about Daenerys, and Jaime mostly still riding the Cercei train. Granted, that formermost bit was close to a third of the season, so it did drag things down quite a bit.

My memory is rusty for both the show and the books, but what was the significance of that flecked feather in this?

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah some forum reactions to season 7 were completely disconnected from irl. Every episode had people on gaf complaining and people on my Facebook praising
Eh, I post on several different forums and episode 6 was mixed across the board. Mixed opinion on season 7 isn't an era/gaf thing. There are a multitude of articles, videos, etc about the fall of quality wise too. Also, I'm not sure why facebook counts as real life and forums don't?

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A show that is getting mixed reception plateaus and or decreases in ratings. It doesnt matter how big it is. Look at the Walking Dead. Still massive but its had a huge decline from its peak as many people haven't like the direction

Game of Thrones continues to skyrocket and S8 will be by far the biggest yet. The finale is going to shatter tons of records

That's basically all you need to see to know general audiences reception

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Season 7 was amazing, please don't tell me you're one of those people who was upset because they didn't show them traveling for days.

Not showing the traveling was the least of the issues. Come on man, the big climax of season 7 was them going to capture a white and they conveniently get trapped on an island where the wights can't go for a bit while a fucker they send back to the castle literally runs god knows how long in the snow... snow he's never even seen in his life. He gets there and sends a fucking raven to a distant island where Dany has to mull shit over and then fly to the ice island to save them in the nick of time. Like what in fuck's name possessed anyone to think any of that was good writing? It's so fucking bad.

The season is full of dumb popcorn movie bullshit that game of thrones was really never about. Jaime getting saved in the nick of time by diving into water that should be a few feet and then it rushing him away to perfect safety. Ugh.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
I'm currently reading the official prequel to Game of Thrones called Fire and Blood. I think it's written by one of the writers for the show too, so it's definitely official. I wonder if there are any plans to turn that into a series too?

less

Oct 25, 2017
This is going to be a beautiful disaster to watch.

Looking forward to Sansa being crowned Queen.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be clear, I maintain that a fictional work's overall quality can consist of more than just the writing quality. While I love to mock the stupid shit that has sometimes happened in the later seasons, the extremely high production values and quality acting still make GoT one of the most incredible shows ever made and a joy to watch every week.

Oct 25, 2017
While 7 is extremely shallow, it did what it could with what 6 and even 5 set up for it. The only sour points that come to mind is the Littlefinger/Winterfell plot, setting up a love/jealousy tale with Tyrion about Daenerys, and Jaime mostly still riding the Cercei train. Granted, that formermost bit was close to a third of the season, so it did drag things down quite a bit.

My memory is rusty for both the show and the books, but what was the significance of that flecked feather in this?

Believe it's the feather Sansa placed in the hands of Lyanna's statue in S5 when she visited the crypts.

OP
OP
Hydrus

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm currently reading the official prequel to Game of Thrones called Fire and Blood. I think it's written by one of the writers for the show too, so it's definitely official. I wonder if there are any plans to turn that into a series too?
It's written by the man in my avatar, the creator lol. The next series is called the Long Night and it takes place like 4000 years before this story.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
To be clear, I maintain that a fictional work's overall quality can consist of more than just the writing quality. While I love to mock the stupid shit that has sometimes happened in the later seasons, the extremely high production values and quality acting still make GoT one of the most incredible shows ever made and a joy to watch every week.

Absolutely, one of the best show evers when all is said and done

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Ratings aren't going to be a great show of seasons being good or bad. A lot of fans will stick around for a while even through bad seasons, especially if they loved some of a show and even more especially if the ending is coming soon anyway. For me season 1-4 were the pinnacle of the fantasy visual genre for me. Favorite in tv or film. 5 dipped but 6 was alright. Not nearly the quality of 1-4 but good enough. Why would I jump off after 7 was a trash fire? Of course I'm going to see how this shit ends. Everyone will. If nothing else it'll be a spectacle. Not what I loved about game of thrones, but fun to watch I suppose.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Eh, I post on several different forums and episode 6 was mixed across the board. Mixed opinion on season 7 isn't an era/gaf thing. There are a multitude of articles, videos, etc about the fall of quality wise too. Also, I'm not sure why facebook counts as real life and forums don't?

I know everyone on my Facebook?

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Ratings aren't going to be a great show of seasons being good or bad. A lot of fans will stick around for a while even through bad seasons, especially if they loved some of a show and even more especially if the ending is coming soon anyway. For me season 1-4 were the pinnacle of the fantasy visual genre for me. Favorite in tv or film. 5 dipped but 6 was alright. Not nearly the quality of 1-4 but good enough. Why would I jump off after 7 was a trash fire? Of course I'm going to see how this shit ends. Everyone will. If nothing else it'll be a spectacle. Not what I loved about game of thrones, but fun to watch I suppose.
Yeah a big difference between GoT and The Walking Dead is GoT has an end in sight that they are building towards every season. Even if you think the quality is decreasing, you're still invested to seeing what happens at the end. TWD is just a meandering repetitive series with no end in sight.

OP
OP
Hydrus

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really like the wolf howling of the main theme. Reminded me of Twilight Princess!

iliketopaint_93

Use of alt account
Sep 3, 2018
They are working from RR Martin's notepad with this one so hopefully it just centers around spectacle, climactic battles and special fx and tying up plot threads.