• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
Season 5 is good, but not that good.

I think the only legitimately good episode of season 8 is "A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms." It's also an episode made retroactively worse by episode 4.

I think the only legitimately awesome scene of the season was brienne being knighted

Everything else had some kind of stupid attached to it

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Jon is a Targaryen. Doesn't that make him a dragonmaster of some sort?

Rhaenyra Targaryen is all the proof you need that a dragon that isn't bonded to you will torch your ass or eat you if commanded. Jon killed Drogon's mother, and he knew she died before he even saw her body. He should have roasted or eaten Jon on the spot, not melt that stupid throne as if he suddenly understood symbolism.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Rhaenyra Targaryen is all the proof you need that a dragon that isn't bonded to you will torch your ass or eat you if commanded. Jon killed Drogon's mother, and he knew she died before he even saw her body. He should have roasted or eaten Jon on the spot, not melt that stupid throne as if he suddenly understood symbolism.

Ah. Plot armour doesn't even cover it. It might have made sense for Jon to die after killing Daenerys, but maybe HBO has future plans for the character.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
I wanted something like this for Bran, but since D&D treated Bran like a side character it came off moot for most people.

The scene where Bran was elected king had no energy, no tension, nothing. The opposite of Robb getting crowned or Jon being elected Lord Commander. One of the most important scenes in the entire series and it was so dull. I hate being so down on the final episode but man, what a dud.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
The more I think about it the worse I feel for the Tyrells. Loras tortured and mutilated for being homosexual. Margaery imprisoned because of Cersei's jealousy. They and Mace all murdered along with the Sept because of Cersei's wrath. Olenna murdered and Highgarden sacked because she rebelled against the woman who murdered her family (and because Cersei needed her gold). When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die indeed.

"Dragons are intelligent. More intelligent than men according to some maesters."

Not that that explains away why he didn't kill Jon.

Septimius

Oct 25, 2017
Your two final sentences seem to contradict one another. Do you know what subvert means?

No. What I was trying to say was that it's not subversion when no one expects anything in the first place. It just becomes random. That's why there's nothing clever. No one goes "oh no, the climax of Tyrion's arc was ruined! Oh my, I have been subverted". No one gets why it's there, which means the writing has totally failed to understand what anyone would expect from that scene.

Oct 25, 2017
to me, the show lost a chunk of it's magic when they killed off Stannis

latest

for the piece of shit he was, he was the wild card that kept the show extremely entertaining to me, it helps he was written spectacularly

Please George, don't let the show be the only conclusion we get for these characters. Especially Stannis and Daenerys, I'll never not be pissed off at how they handled their character arcs.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Did Bran knew that all of this would lead to him becoming king?

I suspect that might be the case. I get why some people are treating his kingship as coming out of nowhere, but there is a kind of symmetry there. You can view the whole television series as a history of the Stark children. Bran gains dangerous knowledge and basically becomes Charles Xavier. Robb makes a bad deal for military purposes, reneges on it and ends up dying ignominiously alongside a good part of his extended family. Sansa endures being used as a pawn repeatedly but eventually wrests control and autonomy from an unwilling world. Arya becomes the ultimate ninja and then wanders off, possibly to start hey own spinoff. Poor little Rickon never stood a chance. Finally Jon has his own convoluted history that ends up with him becoming, apparently, a de facto leader of people reclaiming the far north. Bran is probably the only person left who suspects he could survive more than a week on the throne of Westeros.

So if you had told me at the end of Season 1 Episode 1 that these things would happen, I would not have been surprised. The only surprise to me is how much of a surprise a lot of this is to those who have watched about twice as many episodes as I have.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just watched this scene again. It feels like a completely different show. There was just nothing close to scenes like this in this last season.

there is literally the same scene with jon snow and lyanna mormont being a badass in it.
Please George, don't let the show be the only conclusion we get for these characters. Especially Stannis and Daenerys, I'll never not be pissed off at how they handled their character arcs.
with stannis it at least made some sort of sense. danys turn just didnt.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
Just watched this scene again. It feels like a completely different show. There was just nothing close to scenes like this in this last season.

What honestly always surprises me whenever I see any scene from earlier season is just how different the cinematography was. The show used to be... so colorful. I know D&D said that it's intended to showcase the passage of the seasons (lol, as if that ultimately played any role in the narrative beyond Stannis character assassination and one line of dialogue in early season 8), but I much prefer the old look of the show, even if it remained mostly gorgeous until the very end. It's striking in these pilot prologue vs finale epilogue comparisons, where in the former the snow is actually white while in the latter it's... bluish?

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I cant get it out of my head that people are only saying that they knew or could see Danys turn coming because it actually happened.

Between two outcomes, prior to season 8, she was far more likely to have a happy ending than anything else.

Idk. For me they fucking butchered her character, and regardless if thats how its supposed to go in the books it just didnt make sens for it to happen in the show at the time.

Its much easier to reaffirm with retrospect.

If you're a book-reader, the turn is much more obvious. The majority of book fans thought that Dany had a pretty good chance of calling.

And Season 2's HOTU vision cemented for a lot of people that she's isn't getting that throne.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The greatest military mind in Westeros getting taken out by 20goodmen and then burning his daughter immediately doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
they were decimated by winter. southern armies without dragons dont do well in the north. also they had a major battle with the king beyond the wall before that. yes it made little sense but still the turn of dany was way worse. before that she was depicted as a hero that just saved westeros from certain death

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Just watched season 8 today, I really enjoyed it but I can see where the criticism comes from. If it was a full 10 episode season I think that could have given a lot more weight to the most critical moments of the series, but it was rushed.

At least my favourite survived, thank goodness for Sir Davos Seaworth! :)

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
they were decimated by winter. southern armies without dragons dont do well in the north. also they had a major battle with the king beyond the wall before that. yes it made little sense but still the turn of dany was way worse. before that she was depicted as a hero that just saved westeros from certain death
Their major battle with Mance was just a calvary wipe. Either way, they had a built in "Stannis could very well lose over the long term in a siege" excuse but they had to go 20 gewd men.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Lot's of people who did horrible things in WOII were WOI heroes. Things aren't black or white

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

This is 100% the same Daenerys as in ep6. She is just not to sure she can win yet. Literally says wars are won with mass murder, and Tyrion evens says if she is attacked by Cersei they'll burn KL down lol.

I repeat it, the problem is when she returns to Mereen, it should have been more obvious. Clarke should have known where her character stood at that point, the writers didn't make it clear. You can read the last page of ADWD and not see it. She's gonna burn all the people affected by the pale mare when she wins back Mereen.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

This is 100% the same Daenerys as in ep6. She is just not to sure she can win yet. Literally says wars are won with mass murder, and Tyrion evens says if she is attacked by Cersei they'll burn KL down lol.

I repeat it, the problem is when she returns to Mereen, it should have been more obvious. Clarke should have known where her character stood at that point, the writers didn't make it clear. You can read the last page of ADWD and not see it. She's gonna burn all the people affected by the pale mare when she wins back Mereen.

I just love the quote "Nobody trusts my sister less than I do*, believe me."

*Tyrion goes on to trust his sister several times in a row.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Just give me a sequel, 100 years or more after GoT, with a new cast but have Emilia Clarke return as the Night Queen. I want more evil Dany, and all the other interesting characters are dead anyway.

Daenerys is resurrected as a fire wight by Kinvara. She spends the next 100 years licking her wounds and moving place to place. She ages slowly because of her resurrected body.

Jon also ages slowly because of his resurrected body and is living Beyond the Wall as the King of the Freefolk meanwhile Inmortal God-King Bran is tracking them both as they're the last threats to his rule.

Sansa's descendants are also a thorn in his side and he regrets letting his sister have free reign over it.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
No. What I was trying to say was that it's not subversion when no one expects anything in the first place. It just becomes random. That's why there's nothing clever. No one goes "oh no, the climax of Tyrion's arc was ruined! Oh my, I have been subverted". No one gets why it's there, which means the writing has totally failed to understand what anyone would expect from that scene.

I don't believe you. The scene is very well set up, there is a lot of tension in the room as Tyrion asks whether the Maester has said unkind things about him. Tyrion has stood trial and been convicted of regicide, was a key suspect in a murder attempt on King Bran when the latter was a child, a charge which he only survived through trial by combat, he murdered his own father who was the Hand at the time, then ran off and helped Dragon Hitler to come to Westeros where she proceeded to run amok in the capital city.

And you've just seen this. And Tyrion is counting down the days before his tongue stops being able to save him from the inevitable. Somehow he's been appointed Hand again. He doesn't know how this will end.

And then Samwell tells Tyrion he doesn't think his deeds are mentioned in the history.

And now you're going to repeat that there were no expectations to be subverted.

Nephicide

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Daenerys is resurrected as a fire wight by Kinvara. She spends the next 100 years licking her wounds and moving place to place. She ages slowly because of her resurrected body.

Jon also ages slowly because of his resurrected body and is living Beyond the Wall as the King of the Freefolk meanwhile Inmortal God-King Bran is tracking them both as they're the last threats to his rule.

Sansa's descendants are also a thorn in his side and he regrets letting his sister have free reign over it.
Sounds good to me. greenlight it.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dany only went crazy because the people around her started saying she would go crazy and started conspiring

Everytime Dany ignored her own impulses and listened to her "good" male advisers it cost her dearly

Dany got put down like Old Yeller because the show turned her into an incomprehensible monster JUST to justify her getting axed

What is the message here?