• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The world would never forgive Dany because she had no cause for her actions. The US bombing of Japan was to get them to surrender and to prevent greater casualties through ground invasion. What Dany did is the equivelant of nuking Japan a third time after they had surrendered. The show ultimately portrayed her as entitled and power hungry, someone who believes only they can create paradise...not unlike Griffith from Berserk.

Inserting 21st century morality actually makes no sense at all, sacking cities was happened all the time in the medieval period. So realistically it could have stil worked out for Dany.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
They completely ruined the entire build of the white walkers and night king. There was never anything as remotely interesting as the Red Wedding. For awhile now it's been like every other mediocre tv show with straightforward dimwitted plotting.

The finale for these events might be lackluster, but the build up was awesome.

GoT will still be myu favourite show, even with a lackluster last season that gave a bittersweat taste in your mouth.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They completely ruined the entire build of the white walkers and night king. There was never anything as remotely interesting as the Red Wedding. For awhile now it's been like every other mediocre tv show with straightforward dimwitted plotting.

It's funny, my girlfriend and I were talking about the show at large and the final season's deaths/send offs, and we were just talking about how none of the S8 deaths were as savage or as surprising as the Red Wedding (which I can now say is where the show peaked).

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
"Why do you think I came all this way"

After seasons of the show hammering home that Brandon Stark is dead, that he's not Bran anymore, that he isn't really human anymore and how this was a bad disturbing thing and distressing to his friends and family, that he has no desires or motivations beyond the past and as some vague adversary of the Night King...

...the show makes it very important that he very much is Bran (he sure didn't say he was no longer Brandon Stark this time, huh), and did have some kind of plan and goal through all this, and let everything happen so that goal could be achieved?

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guys what if, somehow, GRRM releases TWoW soon (as in, within the next three years or so) and its even worse than ADWD?

What happens then?
First, ADWD was not a bad book. ADWD was better than any season of the tv show. TWoW will be a better book, because the cut out the best stuff at the end of ADWD and moved it to TWoW.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
there's a lot to like. I like that Edmure Tully came back. I liked that they showed the Dothraki are adjusting to civilized life. A new Dorne Prince - I mean it goes to show they didn't forget about him. A lot of really cool small stuff.

I mean the entire last two seasons of this show were awful still.

Very upset at how much of a non-threat the night king was.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
the woman who consults with GRRM about the books (Linda of Elio and Linda) says that she thinks 100% bran is evil and that the real ending is him manipulating everything to put himself on the throne and that the reason he wants to know where Drogon is at is because he wants a dragon

And all of that would be fine and totally make sense.... if they showed us any of those intentions whatsoever.

I hope that if GRRM decides this is how he still wants to end it, that we do get to see that side of Bran that makes all of this make sense.

We can infer that he is evil due to the fact that he knew all of this was going to happen, but said nothing. But the show does a horrible job of explaining that to us, and even goes one step further to make us feel like Bran is the good guy.

Its not that I hate Bran as king, I just think its weird and doesnt make sense given how they treated his character these last seasons. We always thought and expected there to be more behind his purpose and his powers.... but in the end... there wasnt anything.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
yeah but they made such a big deal about it in the show. Varys dies last episode for this.

Well, he tried to kill Daenerys in Jon's place so he can rule, he didn't make it. Just because Varys wanted that and the show seemingly was going in a direction in like Jon could be in a position to discuss the throne doesn't mean he actually has to get it. What happened looked reasonable to me, maybe they could have said it "he's a Targeryan" "it doesn't matter, he committed a crime". We don't have to like it but I think it's a logical consequence.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
the woman who consults with GRRM about the books (Linda of Elio and Linda) says that she thinks 100% bran is evil and that the real ending is him manipulating everything to put himself on the throne and that the reason he wants to know where Drogon is at is because he wants a dragon
Yes, the theory also implies that Bran might have warged into Dany/Drogon to burn down the city for his own ultimate benefit. If this were true, the show would have given more hints.

Final scene was good though, I like that it ended on people going back home into nature.

Owzers

Oct 26, 2017
It's funny, my girlfriend and I were talking about the show at large and the final season's deaths/send offs, and we were just talking about how none of the S8 deaths were as savage or as surprising as the Red Wedding (which I can now say is where the show peaked).
I go back to my standard: if the red wedding were written like the current seasons the dire wolves would have swooped in to rescue the starks at the last minute and they'd ride on their backs to safety.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
And all of that would be fine and totally make sense.... if they showed us any of those intentions whatsoever.

I hope that if GRRM decides this is how he still wants to end it, that we do get to see that side of Bran that makes all of this make sense.

We can infer that he is evil due to the fact that he knew all of this was going to happen, but said nothing. But the show does a horrible job of explaining that to us, and even goes one step further to make us feel like Bran is the good guy.

Its not that I hate Bran as king, I just think its weird and doesnt make sense given how they treated his character these last seasons. We always thought and expected there to be more.... but in the end... there wasnt.
Oh yeah show bran is absurdly horrendous especially since d and d knew he would be king years ago.

Just saying

Oct 26, 2017
While I liked the finale, and thought the first 30 minutes were top GoT, I'm left empty overall. The Sopranos, The Shield, Battlestar Galactica...they all left me with shit to think about. To talk about. With Game of Thrones...I am sadly empty, and am back to what I said a year ago....I think I'm going to mostly forget this show in no time at all. It really has no replay value, especially considering how many interesting plotlines simply went nowhere AND what they did, or didn't do, with the white walkers.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I still can't get over how impossibly stupid Sansa is, WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU WANT AN INDEPENDENT NORTH?

She just doomed her entire people. They are all going to die starving.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
I read all the leaks and yet it was somehow still worse than I expected. Just terrible writing

I feel not one ounce of satisfaction or emotion

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Because it was pointless, first he committed treason, second they moved on on naming kings after birth rights so, it was a non issue. That's my understanding.

This. People don't seem to understand this. They're not doing the blood thing anymore, so his birth right means jack shit other than for them to go "oh, that's cool I guess."

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I go back to my standard: if the red wedding were written like the current seasons the dire wolves would have swooped in to rescue the starks at the last minute and they'd ride on their backs to safety.

You're crazy, they'd never have the budget for that.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
She died, but her actions ultimately broke the wheel. She did what she set out to do.

Lol how?

A Stark sits on the throne. A high born family. Lord's of all houses still vote on the successor. You think they are choosing anyone not from those families present?

They got rid of hereditary birthright but that wheel still turning just the same

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
a76cqfe.jpg

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Bro, Dragons and Magic don't exist in real life nor do people rising from the dead. This is a fantasy series.
This is the laziest argument you can come up with. Being a fantasy series doesn't mean there doesn't exist any thematic consistency or defining characteristics to the story. One of them is absolutely meant to be an exploration of what makes good governance in a world as treacherous and selfish as GoT's which is meant to resemble our own (at least more so than fantasy in general). After all there exist many parallels to war of the roses for a reason. If the answer to that question is essentially - an omniscient being, well may be I had too high hopes from the series, though I will say not without reason as its discussions on power and governance have truly been compelling at times in the past.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017

I agree with you and get what you are saying.... But just to be fair though, there are a lot of almost deaths that are saved by Dany, Direwolves, or someone else at the very last possible second. This isnt something new just from these past few seasons. It is a common occurrence throughout the books and the show from the beginning. (Summer saving Bran and Catelyn in season 1, Dany constantly popping up out of nowhere to save the day on dragonback... etc)

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
The only ending that is at least somewhat happy is Jon, he gets to be with Ghost and his wilding friends and fuckoff from Westerosi politics. Everyone is a shit dumb ending.

-Sansa has doomed all her people to die of starvation for a crown.
-Arya is going to die at sea since she has no sailing experience and there is zero reason some random crew would continue follow a little girl to the end of the Earth that no one has ever come back from when the going gets tough. They're going to mutiny.
-Bran is an emotionless, heartless GOD King who now rules over all of Westeros and can see everything and everyone. He's the ultimate authoritarian ruler that can never be betrayed. He let King's Landing be burned.
-Tyrion is forced to serve this GOD-King and for some dumbass reason none of his contributions to history will be recorded despite serving as Hand for THREE separate monarchs.

Tya

Oct 30, 2017
It's ridiculous that we're expected to believe Jon immediately admitted to kiling Daenerys and was taken prisoner by the Grey Worm and the Unsullied, who waited weeks for Sansa and the rest of the council to arrive to determine their fate. Once Daenerys was gone, the Unsullied had no allegiance to anyone in Westeros. Grey Worm would have cut Jon and Tyrion's throatsand immediately fucked off to Naath like they eventually ended up doing.

Like seriously, Grey Worm waited fucking weeks so a bunch of Westeros lords he doesn't give two shits about can travel to decide the fate of the men who betrayed and murdered his queen??

Yep. Idiotic.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I still can't get over how impossibly stupid Sansa is, WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU WANT AN INDEPENDENT NORTH?

She just doomed her entire people. They are all going to die starving.
Is she though? There was green sprouting north of the Wall at the end. The North will be as lush as the Reach in no time. Believe!

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Inserting 21st century morality actually makes no sense at all, sacking cities was happened all the time in the medieval period. So realistically it could have stil worked out for Dany.

As someone who is into Medieval history, I implore you to actually read about the sacking of cities. Literally never does sacking imply "kill everyone even when they surrender" *which is what Dany did). Just look at the final and decisive battle of the English Civil War, The Battle of Worcester in which only 3000 Royalists were killed but nearly 12,000 were captured. And that's just soldiers.

If sacking a city meant "kill everyone, including civilians even after the opposing side has surrendered", then humanity would have never evolved from antiquity seeing as every time a battle was won, the immediate response (as you seem yo be suggesting) is to destroy the entire internal economy of the defeated's side by killing nearly everyone.

LegalEagleMike

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not bending the knee does not mean there wouldnt be an alliance and trade agreements. Granted I dont know wtf the north has to trade.