• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Well this ending was as safe and shallow as it can get but I am kinda happy that the show is over. Too bad they fucked up the last season so badly. It was one of my favorite shows until the last season :/

All the big finales of 2019 were a big disappointment so far. Kingdom Hearts 3, Endgame, Game of Thrones... Let's hope Episode IX saves my year.

If you didn't like Endgame's ending, you're either just being contrarian or nothing will ever make you happy.

Oct 26, 2017
the rooftops.
This season has skipped over the aftermath/effects of every major event. As far as us viewers can tell, none of these major events seem to matter much at all to anyone outside of the main characters.

Yep, agree with this. The forces set in motion were not adequately resolved and the power vacuum was not adequately dealt with.

I still enjoyed it but couldn't help think the Dothraki and Unsullied had been done dirty by the writers. Actually, I had lot more problems with the resolutions, heh. Too many to list.

I actually really like episode 5 and this felt like a damp squib of an ending.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
No one in that circle should have casually accepted the North's secession. If anything, that should have triggered all of the kingdoms to go independent and the abolition of any kind of "one king to rule them all" nonsense.
That was what I expected. The seat of power - King's Landing - was just razed to the ground. The Red Keep in ruins. Dany would die and the throne destroyed. No more kings.

The North and Iron Islands already desire independence, the other houses would follow suit to prevent another war after so much slaughter and the houses/region would rule themselves as independent lands. The wheel is broken, the smoking ruins of King's Landing as a grim monument to the cost.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
baez102zfcz21.png

All the memes are killing me but this one might be my favorite.
Ghost being a Thanos like entity in his own Universe would be the best twist of all time.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Every single person at our party said "I hope they kill her fast so we can get on with all the other stuff." I still thought it took awhile honestly. She became shitty and it was time to move on.

I bet their tunes changed once they saw what the "other stuff" ended up being.

I would have loved an entire season of Dany as tyrant. I would have loved another season of Dany dead and everyone else dealing with the repercussions.

But alas, instead we got that super sick counsel meeting that made a ton of sense and was totally the best way to decide who is king.... totally...

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Bran the Broken is an apt name because his ability to see the future while also playing an active part in the story completely breaks the plot. He's no Gandalf, if that was their intention. Gandalf's foreknowledge was only lightly (if at all) hinted upon. Bran keeps telling everyone he can see the future.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
When I think terrible ending I think Dexter or Mass Effect 3. To me this ending just seemed boring. The season was handled terribly, but the end points for most of the characters are plausible in a vacuum.

Maybe I'm going easy on it since I know we'll (hopefully) get a different ending from the original writer.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Bran ending up on the Iron Throne fits GRRM and his sci-fi roots, it doesn't fit the show because the bungled the execution. GRRM always talks about how exactly did Aragorn rule wisely for however many years after the LOTR. Well, Bran is the answer to the perfect ruler. A benevolent GOD-AI that can enact measures that are best for humanity without care for personal ambition or emotions. He can see into the past, present, and future and always decide the best course of action. And, once he grows too frail as the 3ER after a 100+ years, he simply finds a new successor and aids them in unlocking their gift so they can take over once he is gone. Thus, Westeros is forever ruled by a GOD-AI King that can never be betrayed and will always do what is best for everyone.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017

I would have loved an entire season of Dany as tyrant. I would have loved another season of Dany dead and everyone else dealing with the repercussions.

But alas, instead we got that super sick counsel meeting that made a ton of sense and was totally the best way to decide who is king.... totally...

i couldn't even tell if it was a trial or not

jon snow wasn't there but tyrion is

i can't think about this show any more, it was the dumbest ending imaginable

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
Bran ending up on the Iron Throne fits GRRM and his sci-fi roots, it doesn't fit the show because the bungled the execution. GRRM always talks about how exactly did Aragorn rule wisely for however many years after the LOTR. Well, Bran is the answer to the perfect ruler. A benevolent GOD-AI that can enact measures that are best for humanity without care for personal ambition or emotions. He can see into the past, present, and future and always decide the best course of action. And, once he grows too frail as the 3ER after a 100+ years, he simply finds a new successor and aids them in unlocking their gift so they can take over once he is gone. Thus, Westeros is forever ruled by a GOD-AI King that can never be betrayed and will always do what is best for everyone.
But in the books the 3ER isn't as benevolent. They need blood sacrifices for one thing

asari

Oct 25, 2017
Why would they not mention John's true identity at the council, is my biggest question. This was a shit season.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
But in the books the 3ER isn't as benevolent. They need blood sacrifices for one thing

A) We don't know that for sure, not yet.

B) One could say a Blood Sacrifice every now and then is a small price to pay for a perfect ruler (cue Warhammer 40k memes).

Why would they not mention John's true identity at the council, is my biggest question. This was a shit season.

They forgot.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Bran the Broken is the most dumb shit ever.

Bran is basically a pagan priest and has done nothing of any importance for anyone at the meeting, except the Starks.
He's not done anything useful in the series except arguably to reveal Littlefinger's treachery and warn Jon about the whitewalkers.

Let's see who's there:
Tyrion is supposed to be wracked with guilt and wants to protect the innocent, yet he eulogises for someone who did nothing to stop the massacre of the population. Why would he want Bran in charge?
Sam likes Bran, so there's one vote I guess
Davos hates magic and really hates people using prophesy and destiny to justify evil acts. Why would he want Bran in charge?
Yara, the Prince New of Dorne, Edmure, Lord Royce, Gendry, Sweetrobin and the two other random guys havenever heard of Bran before this meeting, except maybe as Ned Starks young son who should by rights be Lord of Winterfell instead of Sansa. What fucking story is he supposed to have that would resonate with these people? I bet the New Prince of Dorne must have a way better one, since somehow he went from not existing to rallying a kingdom behind him.
Brienne knows a bit about Bran and is a Stark loyalist, so that's another vote, but I don't see why a non-landed knight gets a vote...
Sansa knows all about Bran and is his sister, but she's the only one that doesn't vote for him!

Arya gets no vote but threatens to kill those who oppose one of her brothers and I guess they've all heard what she did to the Night King and the Freys. Hmmm, maybe I've discovered why everyone has a newfound love for Bran... bending the knee to King Bran is better than becoming the New Prince of Meat and Potato or the Lord Paramount of Steak and Kidney.

Good points all around.

This is why they should have had Jon at the meeting. They should have had all of the leaders argue and threaten each other for the kingdom until Jon speaks up and says he WANTS to go to the wall. Then, because they cant agree on who rules, everyone else decides that they should be independent like the North.

Therefor, the wheel is broken, we no longer have a king/queen and Jon is going somewhere on his own terms, getting away from the fighting and politics that he has tried to escape for so long. Bran then keeps being the 3ER and goes to live in the Godswood in Winterfell.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is the legacy of GoT that of a bad show? I'd argue at least half of the final product was.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know what's weird? Dany in her last scene seemed like the only time she's really seemed truly happy all show. That and when she flew to the waterfall with Jon. She was like "lol Jon can ride a dragon just like me that's weird oh well who's my adoreminable Snow-Man?"

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Textbook example of: Stages of a Toxic Fandom:
1. I love this
2. I own this
3. I control this
4. I can't control this
5. I hate this
6. I must destroy this

natural progression after some people saw the show didn't go their way or their theories.
Ppl were beeing smartasses predicting the show, and then it didn;t happen.

This kind of dismissal of criticism as simply people not having their pet theories realised is some hot bullshit. It really needs to stop.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
if drogon breathed fire on jon but he withstood the flames, that would've been nicer i feel

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I do want to say that I like Bran as King and that I called him becoming King like 10 years ago and everyone laughed at me, but the way the show actually did it, and did his character development over all 8 seasons was painful and dumb and unearned.

Mostly I'm just glad this is over.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Is the legacy of GoT that of a bad show? I'd argue at least half of the final product was.
Sad but true.

Last four seasons have all been kinda bad in their own way, but enjoyable for the most part regardless.

People are already forgetting about Sansa getting married to Ramsay and all things Dorne in S5, The Terminator-Waif in S6, and well just about everything that happened in S7 and S8.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
What a betrayal to the themes of a series which prides itself on providing a more nuanced and grounded take on fantasy. A perfect all seeing all knowing god emperor, no matter how much plot you put behind it is no different than Aragorn ruling in peace and living happily ever after. It's a creation of a perfect being which doesn't exist in real life.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Remember that Omaze contest to watch the final episode with Emilia Clarke and maybe more cast? I wonder how that went haha. Maybe they got to do other stuff not related to watching and talking about the episode.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can we talk about how Bran low key played everyone to get the crown?

What is there to talk about? It could have been some cool twist but it just looks like something random that happens without reason. He doesn't want to be king but that's why he came all the way there? What?

They could have saved this ending with some clever twist with bran but there's nothing there.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
What a betrayal to the themes of a series which prides itself on providing a more nuanced and grounded take on fantasy. A perfect all seeing all knowing god emperor, no matter how much plot you put behind it is no different than Aragorn ruling in peace and living happily ever after. It's a creation of a perfect being which doesn't exist in real life.

Bro, Dragons and Magic don't exist in real life nor do people rising from the dead. This is a fantasy series.

What would Sansa have done if Bran had said no? Would she really have declared War on her brother there and then?

Yes, and then lost when she realized she was outnumbered and facing an omniscient GOD because Sansa is the smartest person in Westeros.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017

As for me, I am thrilled with the way the show ends. At the beginning of the show, Bran is a disabled 10-year-old with slim chances of surviving in this harsh universe. He will never be the warrior who comes in on horseback and saves the day, but he is resilient. He survives attempted murder more times than I can count; he journeys with only a handful of other people to one of the most dangerous and northerly points on the map, and he returns one of the most powerful characters in Westeros. I find it an extraordinary character arc to see him go from a vulnerable character totally dependent on others to the one person who holds all the keys to understanding the world. Bran becoming king is a victory for the still and considered people of this world, who too often get side-lined by the commotion of those who are louder and more reactionary. He doesn't shout to make himself heard, but instead waits and chooses his words and actions very carefully. In that, I think Bran presents a valuable reminder to us all in this day and age where sensationalism is rife and anybody can voice an opinion to millions, to sit and consider things a little more carefully.

As a disabled person with access to Wikipedia, it's nice to know that I could some day be king. Thanks Bran.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What is there to talk about? It could have been some cool twist but it just looks like something random that happens without reason. He doesn't want to be king but that's why he came all the way there? What?

They could have saved this ending with some clever twist with bran but there's nothing there.

Pretty much my thoughts. Like with nearly everything this season, it could've been handled better. As it is now, it's just weird.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

the woman who consults with GRRM about the books (Linda of Elio and Linda) says that she thinks 100% bran is evil and that the real ending is him manipulating everything to put himself on the throne and that the reason he wants to know where Drogon is at is because he wants a dragon

Owzers

Oct 26, 2017

They completely ruined the entire build of the white walkers and night king. There was never anything as remotely interesting as the Red Wedding. For awhile now it's been like every other mediocre tv show with straightforward dimwitted plotting.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017

No, most of us were satisfied with the ending, based on what was available at this point in the show. my best friend even mostly predicted the big plot points, like Drogon melting the throne, and John wandering in the wildlands with Ghost.