• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
the only reason people say this episode wasn't too bad is obviously the context of being the last ep. of a terrible, terrible season.

at best it was a boring ass ending, at worst it was almost as dumb as the episodes before.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Jon: You were supposed to break the wheel! Not keep it spinning!
Bran: I am the wheel... The first wheel and the last.

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
Why were people still listening to Tyrion by the end? And then he becomes hand lmao. Surprised Grey Worm didn't choke him on the spot.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Tyrion is so dumb. "Break the wheel"; he goaded Jon into killing the person who was actually going to do it. What a putts.
That was the best thing Tyrion did in years. She had to be put down, Jon tried to reason with her but she wasn't having it. He had no choice, Jon's character demands he kills her, if he didn't it would go against everything he is.

He's the fairytale Knight that does the right thing always regardless of the consequences. GRRM hates that sort of stereotypical hero so that's why he's punished so harshly.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
But that doesn't break the wheel, it just defers things down one generation. Then its back to war when one or two Kingdoms decides it doesn't like the vote, or goes Brexit like Sansa.

Sam's idea actually broke the wheel.

I thought that was what Dany meant- ending feudalism. But we got more feudalism + Bran's surveillance state.

It takes time to pass into a full democracy as real world history has demonstrated. All the Kingdoms were there to vote on Bran being King and said yes.

The problem with being something like a revolutionary, like Dany was, is that they get to the point where they believe they are so right they cant see the truth anymore. As when she says 'they dont get to choose'.

The path to a better world is a long one full of push and pull. For now they are left in a world that is heading towards Democracy with an Elected ruler rather than an heir by bloodline.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Dany explicitly stated that only she knows what is 'good' and nobody else gets to choose.
That god complex is strong fam. She had to die.

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017
She wasn't going to break any wheels though, she became a tyrant. Worse than that she never intended to stop.
Her "liberation" would've continued. Jon did the right thing.

This makes no sense. She wanted to claim to her throne, realised the harm of the system, then decided to "break the wheel" itself. Tyrion, & Varys turning into Mahatma Gandhi all of a sudden was some BS given their history and the context of the show. Tyrion almost torched the city himself with his wildfire.

Oct 29, 2017
User Warned: Generalizing other members
I really don't get this backlash. I wanted more episodes to flesh things out as much as anybody but these last two episodes were a fitting end to the series. To compare it to Dexter or LOST is some ridiculous hyperbole.
It is a bit hysterical, but I think people made their minds up a few weeks ago and nothing was going to undo the bad taste. People will get over it and realise it's nowhere near as bad as those two.

Plus it's astroturfing to an extent. After the episode it was the same posters posting again and again and again about things they hated and now I've slept and woken up and those people are still here doing the same thing.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I liked the ending simply due to Sansa, Jon, Tormund and Davos finding some peace.

Otherwise Im hugely dissapointed by the NK storyline.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I doubt we will see any sort of followup since it's a pretty definitive ending but i would like to see Arya Adventures

DonaldKimball

Oct 28, 2017
That was the best thing Tyrion did in years. She had to be put down, Jon tried to reason with her but she wasn't having it. He had no choice, Jon's character demands he kills her, if he didn't it would go against everything he is.

He's the fairytale Knight that does the right thing always regardless of the consequences. GRRM hates that sort of stereotypical hero so that's why he's punished so harshly.

He tried to reason with her for a full 30 seconds after he ignored her for half the season.

How was he punished? He is practically king beyond the wall now lol

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
is "people will get over it and realize its acutally good" the new "only nerds/ERA dislike it, everyone else loves it"?

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, I honestly love the Dance of Dragons era, as well as the Blackfyre rebellions.
I hope they're adapted someday.

They would have no choice but to animate it. The CGI budget alone would dwarf all 8 seasons of what Game of Thrones cost. HBO didn't even wanna shell out the dough for Jon to interact with Ghost and yet you expect them to pay for interactions with a dozen or so dragons?

Also some of the stuff just could never be put to screen. The Treasons at Tumbleton makes what Dany and her armies did at Kings Landing look rather quaint. Not in body count of course, but in deeds? That shit was heinous.

#JusticeForRhaenyra.

I was rooting for her at the beginning, but by the end she was no better than the rest of them. She was paranoid and cruel at the end. Though to be fair if they had just let her take the throne then maybe things would not have gone that badly. The only ones that deserved to come out unscathed were the children. Especially Prince Daeron and Lucerys. Daeron seemed like a good enough lad and Lucerys was killed in cold blood by that one eyed piece of shit Aemond. Maelor too since he was only 9 and never did anything wrong.

The Storming of the Dragonpit just pissed me off.

Oct 25, 2017
This makes no sense. She wanted to claim to her throne, realised the harm of the system, then decided to "break the wheel" itself. Tyrion, & Varys turning into Mahatma Gandhi all of a sudden was some BS given their history and the context of the show. Tyrion almost torched the city himself with his wildfire.
She realised the harm of the system? After she literally committed genocide? Lmfao tell me more.
Dany wasn't breaking any wheels, she was building a whole wagon.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
do you guys think people's reaction to how things are handled in the show affects martin's story, or does he not give a shit?
He has said he doesn't really look at the reactions to the tv show to dictate any changes to the narrative he is building. Like, if he was going to make Dany crazy in the books before the show showed her becoming mad, he won't change that just because of the huge backlash after the show.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Hey D and D: Here's a quick conversation fix for you.

Jon: "You know what she's doing is wrong."
Grey Worm: "But she is my queen."
Jon: "She is my queen too. You helped to free countless slaves. Now you're killing innocent people."
Grey Worm: "..."

<Dany's death occurs>

Jon: "I know you want to kill me, but listen. She was going to kill the great lords of Westeros, including my family."
Grey Worm: "I know." *hangs head in shame*
Jon: "Please order your armies to stand down. You cannot rule this entire continent."
Grey Worm: "We will return to Essos. Thank you, Jon Snow."

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Wouldn't it have been better to have all of season 8 be a turn of character for Dany and all of season 9 be it's aftermath and successorship or if they really only had these many episodes, have the death of Danny in ending episode 5 and treat the final episode as a 2 hour prologue

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017
Dany explicitly stated that only she knows what is 'good' and nobody else gets to choose.
That god complex is strong fam. She had to die.

Its literally after the battle. You measure all she did in the east, all she sacrificed to save the entire continent from the zombies. And you gank her because Tyrion, of all people is sad some people died. The dudes knows about war and collateral damage.

31GhostsIV

Oct 26, 2017
Why did Tyrion drop his bro Varys in it again? That was one episode ago. "Huh, perhaps my friend had a very valid point, I shouldn't have grassed him up and got him killed".

Finale was trash, I was expecting the Drogon-takes-Dany plot spoiler point to be fake, because it sounded so ludicrous. Haha.

Oct 25, 2017
They would have no choice but to animate it. The CGI budget alone would dwarf all 8 seasons of what Game of Thrones cost. HBO didn't even wanna shell out the dough for Jon to interact with Ghost and yet you expect them to pay for interactions with a dozen or so dragons?

Also some of the stuff just could never be put to screen. The Treasons at Tumbleton makes what Dany and her armies did at Kings Landing look rather quaint. Not in body count of course, but in deeds? That shit was heinous.

I was rooting for her at the beginning, but by the end she was no better than the rest of them. She was paranoid and cruel at the end. Though to be fair if they had just let her take the throne then maybe things would not have gone that badly. The only ones that deserved to come out unscathed were the children. Especially Prince Daeron and Lucerys. Daeron seemed like a good enough lad and Lucerys was killed in cold blood by that one eyed piece of shit Aemond. Maelor too since he was only 9 and never did anything wrong.

The Storming of the Dragonpit just pissed me off.

Yeah, it would be a monumental task. An animated series could work. It would be GOAT tier stuff though if it was done in live action.
It'll never happen though ;-;.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why the fuck is the ending patting itself on the back so much just cause Bran is kind.? Wont people just go back to fucking each other over due to their families and lords after a generation or two?

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
He tried to reason with her for a full 30 seconds after he ignored her for half the season.

How was he punished? He is practically king beyond the wall now lol
He has lost all his lands, titles and can never return to his home and family. She hadn't committed genocide earlier in the season, she sealed her fate in that conversation. If you think she came out well in that talk I dunno what to say.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait for every feminist criticism of the ending (and the show in general) being sexist to be met with "ummm excuse me sweatie salsa was queen in da norf so it can't be sexist?? you might not like it but this is what peak feminism looks like :))"

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
And now my watch has ended.

Despite the rushed final season I'm happy with where the pieces fell and how it all ended. Ever since the first episode this show hooked me into its incredible universe and became "must watch as soon as I get home" TV.

It's as much about the journey as the destination, and for the last nine years this show has provided incredible storylines, multifaceted characters, spectacular fantasy, lavish production, wonderful acting, extraordinary directing, and jaw-dropping plot twists.

This is my favourite TV show of all time, and it would take something truly extraordinary to surpass it.

Now, what do we as a species collectively watch next?

Last edited:

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Democracy happens from the bottom up. I don't think the series has ever focused enough on the commoners to show a believable rise of democratic values. They didn't even get as far as building a constitutional monarchy or something like the Magna Carta/Bill of Rights. I don't really believe the world of GoT is on a path to Democracy.

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017

Like a couple of guys. Really like 1 dude. Not even that, he was old anyawy!

What I'm saying is Westeros is a shockingly violent place, war being waged non stop for years. Someone sacking a city isn't unsual in this setting. But killing someone, who was willing to change the entire political system, which cause generations of warfare, IMMEDIATELY, before even seeing what she planned to do... Makes no sense.

Oct 26, 2017
He can't father so the next king will be chosen by popular voting. Dumd and Dumber ends GOT with a call for democracy... asides from the fact that the 3-eyed raven lives for thousands of years.

He will warg into the next chosen leader, changing bodies, perpetuating the tyranny of the 3-eyed raven for millennia! Bwah-hah-hah!

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017
Democracy happens from the bottom up. I don't think the series has ever focused enough on the commoners to show a believable rise of democratic values. They didn't even get as far as building a constitutional monarchy or something like the Magna Carta/Bill of Rights. I don't really believe the world of GoT is on a path to Democracy.

Well not now its not!

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a feeling it's Battlestar Galactica

xTHfLDZ.png
Would it have killed him to type the damn name once instead of shooting it out of context in a completely unrelated thread? This happens more than it should here. I realize I'm fixating on a small thing but I have to call it out.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if Tyrion will regret giving Bronn a seat on the small council after he murders all the rest of them.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jon was totally like "time to find out if Ygritte has any sisters or at least someone not related to me" at the end, lol.

Oct 26, 2017
Like a couple of guys. Really like 1 dude. Not even that, he was old anyawy!

What I'm saying is Westeros is a shockingly violent place, war being waged non stop for years. Someone sacking a city isn't unsual in this setting. But killing someone, who was willing to change the entire political system, which cause generations of warfare, IMMEDIATELY, before even seeing what she planned to do... Makes no sense.
She explicitly stated that she decides what is good and no one else and she'll provide her form of liberation through blood and fire. That is a tyrant. Jon got his confirmation of that before he offed her.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Guys last night I literally had a dream that after they all named Bran king he stood up and the Avenger's theme started playing. I woke up giggling. That was the best thing I am taking away from this season.