• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loved that scene in the Small Council. Bearing in mind that the last episode I saw with Tyrion he murdered his erstwhile mistress and then murdered his father on the privy, I have to agree that it's a pitch perfect way to please the fans. And yet there are quite a few fans who, as fans often do, think it was done all wrong.

I write her as somebody who has witnessed fans in other franchises argue endlessly over perceived writing sins by immensely talented writers. It's the norm for fandom, not an exception, hence my extreme scepticism about the CinemaSins-level literary critique being raised here.

It's bonkers that you keep commenting on this without even having watched the show since the end of Season 4, which is widely agreed to be the last truly good season. What you're doing is quite incredible, really.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
You are right that fan fiction writing in regards to the other characters. In particular I feel like making a thread at some point about how awful that new council scene is. Every little aspect of it is bad. Front he selection of characters to the dialogue, arcs being rendered undone and general tone.

I think the only part of the Council scene that made any sense whatsoever was Davos as Master of Ships, and even that sorta required ignoring his arc for the last few seasons being "Attach yourself to whatever authority figure is nearby". Pod being a knight was fine, albeit a bit random to be a Kingsguard.

Everyone else seemed to be there because the writers needed somewhere to place the remaining known characters.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Okay, here we go. I thought about making this a separate thread but I think people are sick of my GoT threads by now so I didn't.

I decided to do a complete rewrite of the ending of the series, including the entire eighth season. However, I believe that many of the problems with the eighth season and the ending of the series began with season 7, episode 5, in which the enormously stupid "wight hunt" idea is proposed. This idea is not only full of bizarre plotholes but also sets into motion serious problems with both the White Walker and Iron Throne storylines that make them impossible to resolve in a satisfying way in season 8. As a result, I also redid the last three episodes of season 7 to remove this storyline and make a few other changes. I constrained myself to following the general principle of the events that were shown onscreen and to only having six episodes in season 8. This is only a rewrite of season 8 and the last half of season 7; all other events in the series happened exactly the same way, for better or for worse, up until season 7, episode 5.

I should note this is a super rough outline. Like, I typed it up in 90 minutes tops. It's not meant to be clean and I'm not even 80% satisfied with it, but I think people would enjoy this ending a lot more than what we got. If you've got suggestions on how to tighten it up or how to address some of the problems I noted in the FAQ section, let me know.

This is the outline:

Season 7, Episode 5
At Winterfell, Arya finds a copy of the letter Lysa Arryn wrote informing them of her husband's death. Jon suggests that Dany bring her dragons north over the Wall to try burning the White Walkers and the Night King. Dany reluctantly agrees, despite her advisors urging her that this is extremely dangerous. Because there is no assembling of the Avengers, this means that yes, Gendry is never re-introduced. He never stops rowing and is not important to the endgame. The Hound, Beric, and Thoros simply show up at Winterfell to help fight the dead; they never make a stop at Eastwatch. Dany teaches Jon how to ride Rhaegal. At Oldtown, Sam reads about the prophecy of Azor Ahai and how he is fated to defeat the White Walkers.

Season 7, Episode 6
The Sansa/Littlefinger scenes play out the same way, with Arya "confronting" Sansa over the letter she wrote under duress in King's Landing. Cersei receives a letter from Jon about the White Walkers and throws it out. Jaime is bothered by her lack of concern, noting that whatever Jon might be, he is Ned Stark's son, a respected leader of the Night's Watch, and not a liar who makes up wild stories. Jon and Dany fly beyond the Wall with the dragons. They find some ancient White Walker stuff relating to the Children of the Forest and their origin, indicating that the White Walkers have a legitimate culture and society and aren't just mindless monsters. They attempt to carpet bomb the Night King but find that dragonfire has no effect on him. The Night King nails Viserion and kills him. Jon and Dany retreat.

Season 7, Episode 7
Dany is unnerved by the power of the White Walkers and tells Jon she needs to take the throne so that she can use the unified forces of Westeros to fight them; Jon says there's no time. Sam arrives at Winterfell and tells them about Azor Ahai; Bran informs them that Jon is Rhaegar and Lyanna's son and the heir to the throne. Dany becomes even more bothered while Jon insists he doesn't care about the throne and just wants the White Walkers gone. Jon calls a peace meeting with Cersei, who refuses to attend; she sends Jaime instead. Jaime arrives in Winterfell and hears them out. He agrees that the White Walkers sound like a serious threat but unfortunately Cersei has ordered him not to make peace under any circumstances. Dany allows Jaime to return to King's Landing unharmed, and he is impressed by the mercy they've shown him. With Cersei refusing to help fight, Dany insists she must unite Westeros before anything can be done about the White Walkers. She and Jon part on rocky terms. Dany heads south and masses her forces to attack King's Landing, while Jon and the others prepare to defend Winterfell. Sansa and Arya spring a trap on Littlefinger, revealing that they compared notes; Sansa told Arya that Lysa poisoned Jon Arryn, meaning the entire war was a ruse by Littlefinger, and he is executed. The Night King breaches the Wall.

Season 8, Episode 1
Theon rescues Yara and they go their separate ways, as in the show. The defenders of Winterfell prepare for the battle. Dany musters her forces outside King's Landing. Varys infiltrates the city to collect his little birds and overthrow Qyburn. Tyrion warns Dany that a battle with the dragons could severely damage the city and that Cersei will let everyone die before she surrenders, but Dany is naive and believes Cersei will be rational.

Season 8, Episode 2
The battle of Winterfell occurs. The White Walkers completely overrun the forces of the North. Many are killed. Theon dies holding off the Night King; Beric and Thoros are also killed, but not before reminding the Hound that the Lord still has a purpose for him. A full-scale retreat is ordered and everyone flees south. The White Walkers move slow and take their time killing people, so they don't give chase. During the battle, the Night King and Bran have a greensight conversation. The Night King, in his first and only lines of dialogue, explains that he is headed south to end a cycle of magic that has lasted for ten thousand years: the song of ice and fire, the eternal conflict between Azor Ahai and himself that will only end when both are dead. Winterfell is badly destroyed. Dany gets word of what happened and feels guilty that she wasn't there to help. Bran tells Jon that he is Azor Ahai because he is the son of ice and fire and therefore the war will only end when both he and the Night King die together.

Season 8, Episode 3
Dany attacks King's Landing. Cersei's forces are easily destroyed and Dany takes the perimeter of the city quickly. Cersei's forces seemingly surrender. Suddenly, Euron's fleet engages and kills Rhaegal. The surrender was a trap. Dany gets pissed and flies in on Drogon, mowing down Lannister soldiers in the streets. As soon as her fire hits the street, massive chunks of the city begin to explode in green flame. A horrified Jaime realizes that Cersei knew about Aerys' wildfire caches and deliberately provoked Dany into setting them off. Cersei tells Jaime that she knows there's no way to win and she would rather burn the whole city down than allow a "younger and more beautiful queen" to sit the throne with her evil imp brother at her side. Jaime realizes she's nuts and, as the city explodes around them, kills her to prevent her from setting off a wildfire cache in the Red Keep. Cersei fatally wounds Jaime during the struggle. Among the casualties of the explosions are Grey Worm and Varys, who were in the streets. Dany lands in the Red Keep, the only part of the city untouched by destruction, and sits on the throne -- having finally won, but at a terrible cost. Only one thing survives the explosions: the undead husk of Gregor Clegane, who wanders off into the horizon, no longer having any purpose in life.

Season 8, Episode 4
Dany's first visitor as queen of the ashes is an envoy from Jon, who informs her that the White Walkers are devastating the North and that Jon's ragtag forces have retreated to the God's Eye on the Trident. Dany knows that she must try to redeem her actions by helping end the war for the dawn. She travels to the God's Eye and meets Jon and they confess their feelings. Arya reunites with Nymeria and her wolfpack. The Hound hears rumors of a massive mountain of a man wandering the Riverlands, indiscriminately killing anything in his way. He expresses that he is done with vengeance and has no desire to go after him. Jon tells Dany about Azor Ahai and how he thinks he is fated to die alongside the Night King to end the cycle of ice and fire.

Season 8, Episode 5
The White Walker army arrives at the God's Eye and the final battle begins. The armies of all houses fight alongside each other against the dead. Nymeria's wolfpack shows up. The Mountain wanders in (maybe attracted by the control of the Night King) and the Hound attempts to kill him. He ignites his blade in flames courtesy of R'hllor. The magic fire is enough to put an end to his brother. The Valyrian steel-wielders each fight the White Walkers. Jorah is killed by a White Walker and as he dies, he tells Dany that he has always believed she would be the queen since he saw her "reborn in salt and smoke, waking dragons from stone." Dany has a realization. Jon says goodbye to Dany so that he can fight the Night King, but Dany has a different idea. She tells Jon that she is Azor Ahai and that he totally misunderstood the White Walkers. Bran speculates that this is correct, that the White Walkers are profane creations of the Children and that they have been forced to engage in warfare against humanity for years because of the magical enchantments put on them by the Children. The Night King broke free thousands of years ago and is the only one who is sentient enough to understand that the only way to break the enchantment is for the cycle of ice and fire to end with his own death and the death of Azor Ahai.

Jon says this is all stupid, he doesn't want to be king after she dies, and refuses to stand down, so Dany stabs him. He falls down injured and unable to stop her from leaving. Dany tells him that he doesn't have to be a king or a lord commander or a bastard; after tonight, he is free to be anything he wants. Then she heads out to confront the Night King. They approach each other and some kind of ritual thing occurs where they are engulfed in ice and fire. The Night King returns to human form and collapses; all the wights return to bones. Dany falls dead as well. Drogon, the last vestige of the ancient magic, picks her body up and flies away. Bran says Drogon will live out his days as the last dragon. The White Walkers, free of their magic, return beyond the Wall to their civilization.

Season 8, Episode 6
A great council is convened to decide who rules Westeros now. Some factions support Jon as the rightful heir, while others view him as the ally of the mad queen who blew up King's Landing. There is much debate among the different factions. Sansa tries to make the North independent. Eventually, Tyrion suggests that Bran would be a good king while they try to rebuild the realm; after he dies, the council can reconvene and choose another ruler. Some people are not enormously fond of this idea, especially Dorne and the Iron Islands, and they vote against Bran, but their votes are overruled by the rest of the assembled lords. Bran becomes king and picks Tyrion as his Hand. The North is still part of the Seven Kingdoms as Sansa is satisfied by Bran's selection. Dorne and the Iron Islands begin plotting for a possible war of independence. Arya departs to explore the world, Sansa becomes Warden of the North. Jon decides to return north and rejoin the Night's Watch. Their new mission is not to defend the realms of men from the White Walkers, but to try and understand them. He and Tormund set out with a party to find the White Walker civilization and try to begin a new connection with them.

"Why doesn't Dany go mad? Why doesn't Jon stab her?"
I said I followed the general principle of the events onscreen, but the way Dany's story ends is obviously very different. But before you dismiss me as a deranged Dany stan, I wanted to note that there still seems to be significant confusion over what exactly D&D knew about GRRM's ending. Namely, the thing that's going to be keeping people up at night the next few years is "What was the third "Holy shit" moment GRRM told them about?"

People have been trying to work Dany's madness, burning of King's Landing, or death as the third "Holy shit" moment, but…I don't think any of them work. After all, Dany's madness is supposedly "super obvious," "heavily foreshadowed," and "the obvious end to her character," so why would that be such a surprise to D&D when GRRM tells them? It's not. Nor is King's Landing getting blown up much of a surprise either; we already know there's a Chekov's Gun cache of wildfire buried under the city and it's just a matter of who sets it off. Finally, Jon killing Dany is also something that has been widely theorized for years, usually as part of an Azor Ahai/Nissa Nissa prophecy, so being told that by GRRM is not a particularly shocking thing either.

No, I think the answer is a lot simpler: the third "Holy shit" moment is Bran becoming king. D&D said the third moment happens "at the very end" of the story, and Bran being king was a generally obscure theory within the fandom, something that only really starts to make sense in hindsight like the best of GRRM's plot twists.

I did try to match the season 8 events more closely; for example, I tried to come up with a way for Jon to stab Dany as part of the Azor Ahai prophecy, but nothing really made sense. The idea that Jon just sticks his sword into Dany and it lights on fire and he starts wrecking White Walkers is too Hollywood for GRRM. This is why I fell back on the theory of Dany as Azor Ahai.

"If you're so smart, how come D&D didn't just do this instead?"
I think D&D have two fundamental misunderstandings or issues with ASOIAF. I think they have little interest in the supernatural aspects of the story like the White Walkers, and I think they value violent resolutions to character arcs instead of peaceful ones. One of GRRM's central ideas when he created this series was to deconstruct Lord of the Rings, and one specific example he provided was "What does Aragorn do with the baby orcs?" I don't think it's a coincidence that we are introduced to a baby White Walker. The White Walkers are a real culture. They're not mindless weapons of war. They are the deconstruction of Tolkien's orcs, monsters created as weapons who could have a real civilization if they were freed from the magic that created them.

I think that GRRM told D&D a bunch of complex magical and mythological stuff about the White Walkers and how they're defeated, and D&D yawned and fell asleep. The show has never been interested in any of this. So they decided, at some point, to create a more bog-standard Hollywood ending where the White Walkers are just a generic bad guy force that gets taken out by a single blow. But they also knew this wasn't a good, climactic ending to the series, so they swapped this battle with the King's Landing siege. "It's called Game of Thrones, after all, and we need to end the series with the game of thrones." But now they have a serious problem with Dany's character arc, which is deeply tied to this proposed ending with the White Walkers. Now they need to come up with a completely different explanation for why she blows up King's Landing and how she dies. So they consult their ninth grade history textbook, quickly pull an "absolute power corrupts absolutely" message out of their asses, and throw it in there.

I think that D&D were also unattracted to the idea of a peaceful resolution to the series' main conflict. The idea that the White Walker battle is resolved in a peaceful way, with the White Walkers returning north to their own civilization, is something they felt the audience would find anticlimactic. They've spent seven seasons training the audience to love bloodlust and war. The only way they can end it all is with more bloodlust and more war. So the Night King gets stabbed, King's Landing goes boom, Dany gets shanked, and then everything ends happily. This is not GRRM's way.

"Where's the Scouring of the Shire?"
I think people take GRRM's appreciation of the Scouring of the Shire too literally. The point of the Scouring is not that "a big battle happens at the end of the book," it's that "life goes on after war, and we are all forever touched by it in some way." The conflict for the Iron Throne is over, the White Walker threat has been ended, but life goes on as normal. There is a political vacuum in Westeros, one not easily filled by a ten minute scene of people voting on Bran to be king. Everything doesn't just wrap up nicely with a little bow on top. Jon is traumatized by the loss of Dany, several kingdoms are on the verge of open rebellion, and a mysterious new culture that nobody understands is now a player in Westeros. Things are not the same as they were before.

"How do these events play out in the books?"
I think Aegon is on the throne when Dany shows up, and that Cersei is a captive. The general events of the King's Landing battle will play out the same way, with Jaime, Cersei, and Aegon all dying. The books are so far behind the show and so complicated that it's hard to predict where characters like Euron end up in all this.

"Dany goes nuts, you idiot. Her Targaryen madness gene kicks in and she kills everybody and then Jon stabs her, you moron. Get over it."
Maybe. We'll see in twenty years.

I didn't like all your changes but overall it is much much better than what we got. Nicely done

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
I write here as somebody who has witnessed fans in other franchises argue endlessly over perceived writing sins by immensely talented writers. It's the norm for fandom, not an exception, hence my extreme scepticism about the CinemaSins-level literary critique being raised here.

Oh well, if you're that experienced then I bow my head to you and accept all you say as the one truth.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I loved that scene in the Small Council. Bearing in mind that the last episode I saw with Tyrion he murdered his erstwhile mistress and then murdered his father on the privy, I have to agree that it's a pitch perfect way to please the fans. And yet there are quite a few fans who, as fans often do, think it was done all wrong.

I write here as somebody who has witnessed fans in other franchises argue endlessly over perceived writing sins by immensely talented writers. It's the norm for fandom, not an exception, hence my extreme scepticism about the CinemaSins-level literary critique being raised here.
Maybe I would feel the same if I had only read wikipedia plot outlines, and then constructed the rest of the show, and people's problems with it, as a hypothetical tableau in my mind palace.

You can leave your cinemasins comparisons in the privy where you found them.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Maybe I would feel the same if I had only read wikipedia plot outlines, and then constructed the rest of the show, and people's problems with it, as a hypothetical tableau in my mind palace.

You can leave your cinemasins comparisons in the privy where you found them.
I don't know why anyone bothers discussing anything with someone that hasn't watched the last 33 episodes of the series. lol

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
The amount of internet content this season has generated is something we might never see ever again, on YouTube alone it seems that every channel is making multiple videos on the season and finale, even those who never make content on film/TV, are cashing in on the cultural phenomenon. Although, I wonder if by the time the first footage from the prequel comes out will we see a similar influx of content.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018

Nah. In isolation the scene is still bad.

It's barely passable as comic relief and none of it's delivered well or funny

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The last episode just feels like such a dud. It doesn't feel like a spectacular send off or something that leaves you feeling full.

Neutering Bran's personality and rushing the Dany arc completely cut the legs off the finale.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018

Why are so condescending over a show you haven't even bothered to watch?

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, just under 2 hours long starting at 9pm ET.
Thanks. I need some closure–and I want to understand the ensuing memes–so I'll be there
I don't know why anyone bothers discussing anything with someone that hasn't watched the last 33 episodes of the series. lol
Ever since I found out they hadn't watched the show, but were arguing in every thread, I've been intrigued. Are they sincere? A troll? A self assured teenager? A condescending old man? I want to see this character arc through, but I also don't want to do the work of reading or responding to every post. I just check in occasionally and do an info dump telling people how they should feel. D&D would be proud

Oct 25, 2017
She fucking hates it. Have you not read a single interview in the past year, especially the newest ones from this week?

• D&D didnt tell her upfront about her characters fate. She found out 3 days before filming started when she got the scripts.
  • In her own words, she walked around London for 5 hours until she got blisters on her feet, just trying to wrap her head around what happens to Daenerys. She couldn't believe what they were going to do to her.
  • It made her extremely paranoid and insecure. She would randly ask family and frieds if they thought Daenerys was a good person.
  • She had to keep reminding herself that it was going to be the character people would be angry with and not her.
  • A year ago in an interview she said that it "fucked her up" that the last thing people would remember about Daenerys for would leave a bad taste in their mouths.
  • Daenerys gave her strength during her medical issues and she always viewed her as a strong role model for women.
  • She hasnt been able to spin the heel turn and flat out said she stands by her and thinks she's still a good person.
  • She's admitted that she's not happy but she's learned that you have to always accept the script. It's part of being an actor.

Emilia is NOT going to publicly flat out say she hates it, she still wants to work in showbiz and not get blacklisted. But you can easily read between the lines and know she does. Giving Jon and Dany a happy ending, you know the two biggest and most popular characters, would've helped with the backlash. They gave literally EVERYONE else a Disney ending ( Fucking Bronn!!!!). The people that no one gives a shit about.
Looool, OK. If you say so. This is some TLJ shit if I've seen it.
None of this tells me she hates the show, just that she was shocked by Dany's direction.
What is it with fans lately speaking on behalf of actors and what they feel like?

Oct 27, 2017
CinemaSins level critiques:
- Boy, I sure hope someone got fired for that coffee cup
- How did Grey Worm get there before Jon?
- Why didn't Khaleesi show her bewbs?
Also they usually completely miss the point of a movie's obvious themes but considering one of D&D think themes are for eighth grade essays, they'd probably be on the same boat.

Putting fans' criticisms on the same level as that when you haven't even seen the show you're defending is pathetic. Good peeps like Lindsay Ellis and Dan Olson have been ragging on season 8 too and they actually provide great, informative criticism.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Thanks. I need some closure–and I want to understand the ensuing memes–so I'll be there

Ever since I found out they hadn't watched the show, but were arguing in every thread, I've been intrigued. Are they sincere? A troll? A self assured teenager? A condescending old man? I want to see this character arc through, but I also don't want to do the work of reading or responding to every post. I just check in occasionally and do an info dump telling people how they should feel. D&D would be proud
If I went into the Mass Effect 3 thread arguing how everyone was wrong to hate the ending of it after only playing the first 2 games I would've been banned. It's trolling while knowing less than Jon Snow. ;)

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
One of THE main characters being killed after the tragedy of finally getting what she wanted but losing herself in the process is tragic. So while the ending is essentially the closest thing to a happily ever after, there's still the underlying feeling that Dany had a tragic ending. Jaime Lannister refused his redemption. Greyworm lost the love of his life and might even die due to disease based on where he's going, (coincidentally even if missandei hadn't died this would've always been an uncertain part of their future). Even the Starks are once again all separated despite spending so much time trying to reach each other. So even though they all moved up in the world, it's not what I would call a traditional happily ever after.

She died and yet Cersei, Jaime, the Mormonts, all those who died fighting the NK, etc, all had more impact from their deaths than her. Major character dies and suddenly time skip, and barely anyone mentions her after. That ending was not bitter sweet when you've got Sansa becoming the queen she's always wanted and Bronn (haha) getting everything he's wanted and then some. The Starks separate on their own accord. No one forced Arya to go exploring, no one forced Sansa to go independent, and no one forced Bran to take the throne. The only one this has been bitter to has been Dany, and Jon is the only that got what was genuinely bitter sweet ending.

Last edited:

Layell

One Winged Slayer
Apr 16, 2018
Been thinking about the ending and Dany's death a bit more.

I think if they had set up Dany's fall in Meereen it would have been more believable. They basically wrapped up that whole plot with a nice bow. It would have been better if Dany left it in a pile of rubble, and basically acknowledged she failed in some way to peacefully end the situation, but that Meereen wasn't the end goal, and her people in Westeros will open their hearts to her.

Dany comes and does some liberating, Jon comes and recruits her where she mirrors what Stannis thought, win over the hearts of the people and start in the North. While she does her bit with the dragons and the final battle, in the end, Arya (or better yet Theon) kills the NK and all is over. She feels accomplished, but not loved, goes to Kings Landing, isn't welcomed with open arms and from there goes into full blood Targ mode, Missandei doesn't need to die, Dany just needs to feel the full rejection.

ara

Oct 26, 2017

My dude started out with smug "I'm SO surprised other people missed this thing I totally got" posts and has ever since upped the absurdity, I'd say there's really no question about it at this point. Either that, or he should really do some soul-searching.

But I guess it at least keeps the thread entertaining now that the memes are starting to dry out.

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Dude, I can't believe you're still at this. Find a better use for your time?

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Also they usually completely miss the point of a movie's obvious themes but considering one of D&D think themes are for eighth grade essays, they'd probably be on the same boat.

Putting fans' criticisms on the same level as that when you haven't even seen the show you're defending is pathetic. Good peeps like Lindsay Ellis and Dan Olson have been ragging on season 8 too and they actually provide great, informative criticism.

Most small editing/continuity mistakes don't bother me, it's just the nature of doing something so big and complex.

However Grey Worm's teleport was one of the rare cases where it did bother me because it was so unmissable and managed to take me out of the show, which compounds later issues. It could have been easily explained if Jon and Davos had gone to do something else before arriving at Dany, but they're walking away from Grey Worm as he's executing Lannisters, then next thing we know he's at the top of the stairs waiting for Jon. Usually those sorts of mistakes you think about as a 'fridge moment', where you go 'waitaminute...', this was a case where everyone immediately went 'WTF?'.

In the grand scheme of things, fairly minor issue, but it's another one on the pile.

I agree on the rest of your comment, maybe swap in 'rogue water bottles' for the Grey Worm teleport =)

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

This in and of itself wouldnt be an issue, if every episode wasnt completely filled to the brim with stuff like this.

Oct 27, 2017
If I went into the Mass Effect 3 thread arguing how everyone was wrong to hate the ending of it after only playing the first 2 games I would've been banned. It's trolling while knowing less than Jon Snow. ;)

It is really bizarre. I'm sure the poster has explained her/his rationale at some point in the past, but I'm struggling to think of any reason as to how it's okay and has gone on this long. Seems disingenuous as fuck.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
User banned (2 days): Trolling.
It's bonkers that you keep commenting on this without even having watched the show since the end of Season 4, which is widely agreed to be the last truly good season. What you're doing is quite incredible, really.

I'm commenting on an excellent and well written scene, the reaction to which tends to confirm my suspicions. It seems that this wave of criticism, though there are undoubtedly flaws as there are in any dramatic presentation, is largely the expected fan guff. I haven't seen The Last Jedi either, but it seems to be much the same nonsense there. Even down to invoking the actors' opinions in support of a critique of the writing.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From more and more what I've gathered especially from comments from GRRM ... GRRM wanted 10 seasons ... D&D only wanted 7 seasons max. They had to be talked into doing 8 seasons by HBO, and I guess the warped compromise there was season 7 and 8 would be like half-seasons, but D&D seemed hellbent on not letting it go further than that.

Which is fine if they had a career plan outlined for themselves and that plan involved no more than 70-ish episodes for GoT, ok, fair enough. They didn't want to be stuck doing GoT forever and drew a line in the sand. But they should have then promoted someone else like Bryan Cogman + another one of the veteran writers to take over showrunning duties. But their ego got too big for that I think.

Rushing the finale of a slow burn show like GoT was always a recipe for disaster and that's predictably what happened.

They got arrogant in thinking everything they pooped out turned to gold that they thought they could pull off a rushed ending.

Oct 27, 2017
This in and of itself wouldnt be an issue, if every episode wasnt completely filled to the brim with stuff like this.
Most small editing/continuity mistakes don't bother me, it's just the nature of doing something so big and complex.

However Grey Worm's teleport was one of the rare cases where it did bother me because it was so unmissable and managed to take me out of the show, which compounds later issues. It could have been easily explained if Jon and Davos had gone to do something else before arriving at Dany, but they're walking away from Grey Worm as he's executing Lannisters, then next thing we know he's at the top of the stairs waiting for Jon. Usually those sorts of mistakes you think about as a 'fridge moment', where you go 'waitaminute...', this was a case where everyone immediately went 'WTF?'.

In the grand scheme of things, fairly minor issue, but it's another one on the pile.

I agree on the rest of your comment, maybe swap in 'rogue water bottles' for the Grey Worm teleport =)
I agree that it is a more legitimate complaint than something like the coffee cup/ water bottles but compared to the rest of the issues I have with the season it's completely small fry. I wonder if there was a scene in between the two Grey Worm encounters that was cut.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Me rn

zGHQb4O.gif

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a very minor complaint in the grand scheme of things, but when Dany is delivering her Hitler speech, where exactly is she? She's at the top of some huge flight of stairs somewhere? Is that near the Red Keep? Is it one of the entrances to the city? I don't think we've ever seen this location in the series before.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
You DON'T know that. Go watch the show.
I'm convinced he is trolling. I'd suggest people just stop responding to him. He hasn't seen the show but based on Wikipedia entries he thinks he's right and everyone, including fans, critics, and cast, with specific criticism is cinemasins. It's eithet an incredible level of arrogance or trolling. Neither are worthy of further engagement. Leave him be.

Last edited:

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I read it. I think it is good, but people would accuse you of teleporting characters too. Sam is in Oldtown one episode reading about Azor Ahai and in Winterfell the next.

That's one of the tricky things about working with a story set on Westeros, getting the distances right.

There was no real way around this while remaining within the constraints of 13 episodes across seasons 7 and 8. It's a dumb thing, but it's something the show has been doing for years at this point and is a minor issue when compared to the full-scale character assassination and contrived plot points.

Oct 27, 2017
This is a very minor complaint in the grand scheme of things, but when Dany is delivering her Hitler speech, where exactly is she? She's at the top of some huge flight of stairs somewhere? Is that near the Red Keep? Is it one of the entrances to the city? I don't think we've ever seen this location in the series before.
I think it's either in front of the Red Keep or a courtyard within it. To be honest, I don't think they've done a very good job with the geography of King's Landing throughout the series that makes things like that confusing.

Oct 25, 2017
I read it. I think it is good, but people would accuse you of teleporting characters too. Sam is in Oldtown one episode reading about Azor Ahai and in Winterfell the next.

That's one of the tricky things about working with a story set on Westeros, getting the distances right.
To be fair, as long as the distances are referenced I think it'll be fine.
Nobody really complains about the teleporting in the earlier parts of the show. Jaime and Cersei was at the Red Keep talking as they watched Jon Arryn's corpse. The next few minutes they are at Winterfell.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
I started reading BDS's rewrite during the previews for Aladdin but I haven't finished yet. I did reread the first sentence a few times. Where would Arya have found a copy of the letter that Lysa sent. Wasn't the original burned as soon as it was received without anyone else seeing it? Or am I misremembering?

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
To be fair, as long as the distances are referenced I think it'll be fine.
Nobody really complains about the teleporting in the earlier parts of the show. Jaime and Cersei was at the Red Keep talking as they watched Jon Arryn's corpse. The next few minutes they are at Winterfell.

Grey Worm teleporting as he did is particularly bad as we saw him in a different part of the city earlier in the very same scene. But I never really found the fast travelling in the show in general as egregious as msot people.

Certainly, it's bad in that earlier seasons spent entire to multiple seasons showing one character crossing the country, but GRRM made Westeros absurdly large. The distances between towns and cities are far larger than any real life medievela country would have ever had.

If you're gonna have a multi-state political story focusing on different cities and arcs combining, you're gonna need to skip travel times over large distances. Even Tolkien did that with skipping over characters riding for 3 days straight and so on.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
This is peak Era, some dude arguing with others about how "great" a season of television is that he hasn't ever watched. And then, if that weren't enough, swatting down everyone's criticisms and complaints as stupid despite, again, having not watched 33 episodes of said TV show.

Oct 25, 2017
Grey Worm teleporting as he did is particularly bad as we saw him in a different part of the city earlier in the very same scene. But I never really found the fast travelling in the show in general as egregious as msot people.

Certainly, it's bad in that earlier seasons spent entire to multiple seasons showing one character crossing the country, but GRRM made Westeros absurdly large. The distances between towns and cities are far larger than any real life medievela country would have ever had.

If you're gonna have a multi-state political story focusing on different cities and arcs combining, you're gonna need to skip travel times over large distances. Even Tolkien did that with skipping over characters riding for 3 days straight and so on.
There's no saving Greyworm's teleporting in the finale, even with the teleporting issues in the latter seasons, most of them can be explained away fairly easily.
Would've been better if Greyworm arrived soon after Jon did. But we had to have that stare-down apparently. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Also GRRM's really bad at distances lol. The Wall is far too huge too.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I personally would love to hear decitrig give us the low down on D&Ds star wars movie. I know they probably are only in first drafts but with the uncanny ability to evaluate material before ever having experienced it, I would love to know what kind of story theyre working on and how well written it is. You could probably make quite a bit of money giving that material to movie sites.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

The teleporting up until beyond the wall could be explained with time jumps. I always took it as enough time had passed that characters could get to where they were. Greyworms in this episode is inexcusable. And it would have been so easy to just edit it out, because it literally served no fucking purpose whatsoever to have it in there. Its only inclusion is to literally pull viewers out of that scene and at best is just another superfluous shot of the character side eyeing jon without further establishing anything important to the story. How this wasnt cut in editing is baffling.

Kolya

Jan 26, 2018
I'm convinced he is trolling. I'd suggest people just stop responding to him. He hasn't seen the show but based on Wikipedia entries he thinks he's right and everyone, including fans, critics, and cast, with specific criticism is cinemasins. It's eithet an incredible level of arrogance or trolling. Neither are worthy of further engagement. Leave him be.

From my experience of him he's just a contrarian. His viewpoint ALWAYS goes against the most commonly held belief. I think that's his thing.

Edit: I'll edit with that I got this opinion from his antics in the Doctor Who OT of the last series, widely regarded to be pretty bad sans one or two good points, but he loved it all. Curiously he also blamed entitled fans there too.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
oh yeah he did a similair thing in the doctor who thread but at least he actually watched that show (I hope).