• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
NK: How did you sneak up on me?
Arya: how did you survive a knife in the heart?
NK: I didn't.
zsmbii83jkv21.jpg

I actually find this kind of cool.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
What we know about the NK:
-He was forcefully created by the Children of the Forest to fight against Men.
-He turned against his creators and got out of control enough for the conflict between the COTF and the First Men to end
-Through unknown means only told via legends and myths he was pushed back into the land of ever winter and a magical wall was placed so that he couldn't take over the world
-Over 1000 years he and his forces have been gathering the largest army the world's ever seen waiting for their chance to destroy the living
-He makes more WWs by turning babies, unclear if this only occurred with Crastor's babies or if there were others or when this started or how this started, those white walkers go out and do his bidding, more WW=easier spread of his army
-He can raise the dead and wants to kill everything, it's implied this is due to is nature as monster made for killing as he always references his creation.
-His first target is the 3ER, which has the same ability that he does, destroying humanity includes destroying someone who holds all memories of it, this is important to him as he specifically makes sure he's the one to land the final blow when usually he lets his forces take care of things
FTFY

I actually find this kind of cool.
Yea it's actual foreshadowing.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
as many dumb meme things the show has done

I wonder if Ser Twenty of house Goodmen will be a real character that defected to Cersei after the Boltons died

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
The Bran theories are ridiculous but let's not start assuming that criticism of this episode stems from a dissatisfaction of not having one's crackpot theories play out.

There is a lot wrong with how they resolved this series-long conflict, not the least of which is the fact that the Night King accomplished very little in his conquest. One of the undercurrents to the incessant conflicts between the families of Westeros is that their squabbles, however important they may seem, matter very little in the grand scheme of things due to the true threat beyond the Wall. Instead of heeding this ominous threat, they choose short-sighted gain, leaving the realm in tatters following the War of the Five Kings just in time for Winter and the Others to descend. This is not just true for families like the Lannisters, but also for characters like Varys and Littlefinger, who work behind the scenes to sew chaos and weaken the realm to aid their own designs at usurpation through Aegon and Sansa, respectively. Again, the entire backdrop to this is that these mortal squabbles are ensuring certain catastrophe at the hands of the ignored immortal threat.

S8E3 throws all of that out of the window. While we see our heroes finally band together to face this threat, the theme of the Seven Kingdoms suffering for the mistake of overlooking the coming storm (again, arguably the primary theme of the series) is thrown entirely out of the window by an abrupt end to the Night King and, as it turns out, his entire army of wights and Others. In the end, the Night King accomplished very little, and we get to see no pay off for what has been built up for years.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

But, you didn't fix anything. The questions remain unanswered and then you made guesses as to the answers of the rest. But, even those guesses couldn't answer the question. How does it take 1,000 years to build a new army when his power is to literally raise the dead? How was he even pushed back the first time giving how unstoppable a force he seems to be?

You see with Sauron we know exactly how he was defeated, his goals, where he came from, where he lives, what he's been doing all these years, and his weakness.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
There is a lot wrong with how they resolved this series-long conflict, not the least of which is the fact that the Night King accomplished very little in his conquest.
I'm trying to think of final boss tier villains who weren't stopped when they were on the verge of succeeding and taking over. The only one that comes to mind is Palpatine.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
we're supposed to take Dany, the "breaker of chains", seriously as a great liberator. the feeling that you're getting that she's a "mad queen" (or maybe its something you see people complaining about) is a failure of the show runners.
I obviously don't think she is at all and even the show runners have said as much. But she executes the Tarlys and people point at that and go "there she goes being the mad queen". Yet stannis was burning people at the stake and wasn't being called the Mad King. People should be consistent.

Also, people seem to give a helluva lot of leeway to the Starks as far as how they view their methods of vengeance and the villainy of their enemies. Rose Bolton and the Tarlys did the exact same crimes. Both turned on their liege lords and betrayed them (Olenna not being the head of House Tarly doesn't matter, the murder of both Papa Tyrell and Margeary means that that tarlys are oath bound to avenge them), and both of them sided with the crown against the major house they were allied with. I've seen people refer to the Tarlys as just normal Westerosi lords that Dany just executed, and yet you'd be hard pressed to find anyone refer to Rose Bolton as a normal Westerosi lord.

Dany executes Tarlys with dragon fire, and that's cruel. Arya poisons and kills a whole room full of Freys, and we watch as they slowly choke on their own blood, and I have not seen one person refer to that as cruel.

I love the Starks and I was right there with millions of people cheering as the Freys and Ramsay got their just desserts. But I'm not going to pick and choose when and where certain acts are cruel and when they are not based on which characters I like.

Last edited:

DonaldKimball

Oct 28, 2017
I dunno, maybe it makes sense that the 3ER is evil. Apparently the NK wants to kill the 3ER. But what then? Maybe they just stop after that. Only Bran kept saying the NK would kill him and the rest of the world but can we trust him?

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't he warg too much? More than the older 3ER thought he should be doing?

Hitting the warg-pipe hard when you are so young might strip you of your humanity more?
We don't know at what age the previous 3 eyed raven became what he was though. As far as too much warming goes, since the previous 3er was stuck in a tree, it looked like he was in warg mode most of the time, until it was time to talk to someone in reality

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tormund and Davos.

edit: I think it's safe to assume all the night's watch guys are dead.

Yeah, that's all that I can come up with. I guess Bran too? The Arya "How did you survive a knife to the heart" scene is just confusing. Does she know? If yes, why wasn't Jon surprised given that he hasn't told anyone? If no, why wasn't she more surprised or curious? And who told her?

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to think of final boss tier villains who weren't stopped when they were on the verge of succeeding and taking over. The only one that comes to mind is Palpatine.
You ignored / edited out the rest of my post that explains the one sentence you quoted.

There is a LOT of room in between the Night King succeeding <--------------------------------------> the Night King only conquering Last Hearth

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
a few years ago on Reddit there was a joke post on Reddit asking "if you took over arya right after she got the 3 names to kill who would you choose to most fuck with the faceless man?"

people were saying Brynden Rivers(the three eye raven before bran) leaf, wun wun, quaith, the emperor of yi ti, a random brindled man in sothyros, and the great other...

And a faceless man actually killed the closest thing to the great other

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
-Why does he seek to kill everyone?
He's literally a monster made to combat man that turned hostile against everything. It's the frankenstein situation.

-Why does he make strange symbols resembling the CoTF?
As someone who quite clearly doesn't speak english of any kind, he makes upside down crosses which essentially spell out
"I remember what you did to me"

This is doubly true because he's a greenseer like the 3ER

-Why does he hate "the memory of Men" or the 3ER?
He and the 3ER share the same ability. Out of every source of information in the world the 3ER is the definitive source of information. The air of mystery comes from the fact that he's 1000 years old. You're expecting logical neat answers from an illogical monster. It;s like asking why the boogeyman scares children. Or why Sauron or Voldemort want to take over the world. When the answer is simple:they're the embodiment of evil.
No WW don't talk, he's literally a 1000 years old and his exposure to humanity is people he's killed and converted into wights or whitewalkers

Does he seek to rule the world?
No

oes he have any goals beyond killing everything?
Does Skynet have a purpose after all of humanity is killed?

Beyond the wall

What's he been doing for thousands of years?
Building the biggest army in the history of the world

Why did he just now start coming for The North?
Storytelling is at it's best when it starts when shit is going down. As such, does it actually matter that he was doing nothing but gathering an army?

-Where does he get his armor? Does he make it himself? What's with the symbol on the armor? Does he make the armor for all his generals or do they make their own?
Does this matter outside of adding more info to a wiki entry?

-Does the babies he turn immediately grow up and turn into WWs or do they have to grow up slowly?
DOES THIS MATTER?

Was he the only one created by the CoTF or were there other WWs? If so, where are they?
Do these questions matter for the story when we were only shown the event where he was turned into a WW

-Did the Wall actually prevent him from crossing?
Yes

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
All this is fun but I'm not buying any of it. The writing has been really bad for awhile especially last Season I doubt they go the route of something complex that would only appeal to those that are really paying attention. Much easier to just have some gathering more troops stuff, a war for Kings Landing and a power struggle between Danny and Jon with some back stabbing and plotting. Maybe we get Gendry as the real King as a twist or Bran at the end after the war saying "just as a planned muhahaha," but that's bout it.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Shit, well a title of a film should be ok to mention right? I'll remove the spoiler tag lol.
Personally a little annoyed I now know some movie I've planned to watch has a huge twist, and I specifically know the context. Or at least it seems like it.. hopefully not lol

Soo... how about just not mention some modern movie's twist in a thread that isn't about movie twists?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Villian doesn't have to win the entire thing. Look at the last two marvel movies for how to make heroes win and lose
There aren't second chances or
huge consequence reversing infinity stones and Captain Marvel
in GoT.

In GoT the scenario presented is literally one where the good guys or even the less bad guys can't win without specific circumstances. And even the heroes in the story are aware of this. This was an all or nothing chance. Spelled out in the first twenty minutes where we see them get steamrolled.

Last edited:

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Awesome, thank you for sharing. Perhaps the frustration people are feeling at the abrupt conclusion really is because the long night has only had its prelude. That would turn out to be a twist only the most dedicated lore fanatics could predict.

Someone mentioned that they called episodes 3,4, and 5 one story. This was the beginning arc of that story.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
He's literally a monster made to combat man that turned hostile against everything. It's the frankenstein situation.

Why does he then seem to have emotions and feelings like happiness, spite, revenge, and laughter?

As someone who quite clearly doesn't speak english of any kind, he makes upside down crosses which essentially spell out
"I remember what you did to me"

How do either of these things? (Outside interviews are not allowed)

This is doubly true because he's a greenseer like the 3ER

How do you know this?

He and the 3ER share the same ability. Out of every source of information in the world the 3ER is the definitive source of information. The air of mystery comes from the fact that he's 1000 years old. You're expecting logical neat answers from an illogical monster. It;s like asking why the boogeyman scares children. Or why Sauron or Voldemort want to take over the world. When the answer is simple:they're the embodiment of evil.

How do you know this? Since when can the 3ER raise the dead? Since when can the NK see the past, present, and future?

No WW don't talk, he's literally a 1000 years old and his exposure to humanity is people he's killed and converted into wights or whitewalkers

How do you know this?

Re; Whether he seeks to rule the world?

How do you know this?

Does Skynet have a purpose after all of humanity is killed?

Yes, we've litereally had movies where Skynet has spoken to the audience about its plan.

Where?

Building the biggest army in the history of the world

Why did that take 1,000 years? And, why was his army so small after 1,000 years of building?

Storytelling is at it's best when it starts when shit is going down. As such, does it actually matter that he was doing nothing but gathering an army?

Same question as above.
Does this matter outside of adding more info to a wiki entry?

Yes, as it suggests an intelligence and desire beyond simple killing.

Re: Crastor's Children

Yes, as it relates to how fast he could build an army. And, the number of WWs he should have at his command. If they grow up immediately then he should have way more WWs, if they grow up slowly then it means there are WW infants. If there are WW infants that suggests a society might develop to support this maturation process.

Do these questions matter for the story when we were only shown the event where he was turned into a WW

Yes, since it would mean there should be more WWs.

Then how did he plan on getting past it? Did he just guess that dragons would be born 1,000+ years later and that someone would be stupid enough to fly one North?

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
So you agree that it's an incredibly rare occurence for the heroes and villains to do their "this is our one desperate hour chance" clash and for the villain to win?
Yep, most of the time the heroes will win (obvious casualties and what not happen of course). Which is way I don't want a sequel to that film. The mental image of what is happening after the credits roll is just so perfect that they'd ruin it by making more. But that sort of ending you can do here and there, but I don't want that for every piece of media, and I sure as hell don't want it in a series that I have been following for 8 seasons.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Someone mentioned that they called episodes 3,4, and 5 one story. This was the beginning arc of that story.
I really shouldn't have read that theory, now I'm getting hyped hoping episode 3 was a huge feint for both the White Walker and the Throne plots.

Status
Not open for further replies.