• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Thought it was a great episode. I got incredibly emotional when the NK went down. Only issues is that way more people should have died. Sam living when he was just kind of sitting there was mad dumb.

Cersei being the final boss works for me cause she's already caused my fav moment in the series. Excited to see what they do with her.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
You know i'm highkey trying to think of notable villains in media where the writers literally made the story grind to a halt in order to explain detailed lore and superfluous information about the villain that wasn't very pertinent to the story. In fact, the only villain that comes to mind, (outside of anime at least), is:

and that was one of the most panned aspects of the show because it over-complicated a villain that had a simple goal.....

Ab Aeterno already touched upon the motivations of Jacob/MIB in a brilliant way, and that was one of the most beloved episodes. And yes it showed way more than GoT ever did in regards to the White Walkers/Night King. Across the Sea definitely showed way too much, but the main reason it was panned was the introduction of the
magic cave
2 episodes before the finale, not the character backgrounds.

Deleted member 21

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Could have dealt with this outcome if we would get some dragons vs elephants action, but nah

At least we are getting Cleganebowl I guess

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Heh, I agree with everything you said. Something happened to the show a few seasons back that seem to destroy my emotional investment. It went from Game of Thrones to Lord of the Rings TV. The first time I felt any type of emotion in a long time was when Brienne got knighted. That was done exceptionally well.

Frankly this mirrors the books. 1-3 were fairly tight and didn't sprawl off in too many directions for the most part.
4-5 were bloated - so you had a few captivating stories and characters till, but instead of the uninteresting bits being the rare exception they became super prominent.

Eg Sansa's time in the Eyrie, Tyrion's trip (I liked show getting him to Meereen as it did far more than how the books is doing it), Euron and Co (though a lot will disagree on that), the Martel that went to Meereen to marry Dany. They kinda dragged it all down and diminished the good parts.

You had a crazy number of PoVs, plot threads, and so on. Martin knows where he wants to get to (as he has an ending and some major events), just not how to get there at this point. Man is like Steven King - really needs an editor who can just go 'No! Leave that out!'

The show fixed some of those issues with brutal efficiency (Sansa got out of the Eyrie quick, ditched the Martel kid, cleaned up Tyrion's journey), then screwed up others (rather pointless change to Dorne plot - killing the prince made no sense, stripping down the Greyjoy stuff to just Euron was fine, but just making him a weird horndog was not). The issues with Meereen were both Martin's and the show's fault - they knew it was going to be trouble as it's a total drag in the books, but the show runners didn't so much as retune it ahead of time to be better as to dive right in and then just chainsaw their way out of it at the end.

Point being, early seasons/books benefitted from being leaner and focused on a more core groups, using prologue/epilogues for the one off PoVs. Then it got a bit sprawling and you start seeing less of who you care about and more of all the crap that didn't work so well and you lose a bit of that connection. At least that's how I feel. S8 for me has been fantastic so far in large part because they've focused the episodes - E2 and E3 were entirely at Winterfell and most of E1. So that allows some breathing room for the characters rather than rushing through story beats (again, Dorne...)

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
Tormund should have died already. He's only alive for twitter memes

Why ? Because he was outnumbered, facing insurmontable odds in a messy battle ? It has often been the case for many characters in many different shows. That's the point of the show choosing to tell the story of specific characters, they are not this random meat ball that dies randomly in the midst of a battle along with the extras (that do die in large numbers). Actually few important characters do die during a battle in the show.

Would it have been more believable to have the characters perfectly fine, skillfully keeping all threat meters away from them at all time ? The point was to show how desperate the situation was, but the wights are not trained to target specific people or vital organs, so we are supposed to believe these characters have managed to survive somehow.

Obviously if you want absolute realism it is difficult to swallow and maybe the episode could have spent more time on each fighter but there is nothing wrong with the outcome in itself.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At least we are getting Cleganebowl I guess

db-weiss-david-benioff.jpg

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Any question regarding stories and plot during s5-8:

OOmmfHT.jpg
Fuck the NK storyline, we need more talking about cocks and how Varys doesn't have any balls. That's great storytelling to fill in the episode minutes.
Brienne will die in episode 6 by falling down the stairs after stepping on a peel of banana. Shocking, suprising and subversive for the sake of being subversive. D&D storytelling.
It's been four days and you're still having a meltdown. Dude, you gotta learn how to chill.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean you can absolutely have a story that has all of those things and not spend hours providing MORE exposition about them than we already have. The answers just turned out to be a lot more simple than many people thought.

You can but it doesn't meant that you should, considering the source that the show is based on. There are ways for a show to provide answers without a exposition dump and if the only excuse for why GOT doesn't do that, is that "GOT doesn't have time to explain" then D&D should have never made these seasons this short or ever attempted to make this show in the first place, if they can't do it right. Simplifying and cutting down explanations because of time constraints is on them. Some of the answers aren't even simple, they are nonexistent. The story suffered because of it and these later seasons don't fit seamlessly with the earlier ones.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
Why ? Because he was outnumbered, facing insurmontable odds in a messy battle ? It has often been the case for many characters in many different shows. That's the point of the show choosing to tell the story of specific characters, they are not this random meat ball that dies randomly in the midst of a battle along with the extras (that do die in large numbers). Actually few important characters do die during a battle in the show.

Would it have been more believable to have the characters perfectly fine, skillfully keeping all threat meters away from them at all time ? The point was to show how desperate the situation was, but the wights are not trained to target specific people or vital organs, so we are supposed to believe these characters have managed to survive somehow.

Obviously if you want absolute realism it is difficult to swallow and maybe the episode could have spent more time on each fighter but there is nothing wrong with the outcome in itself.
one wight nearly killed Jon and Mormont, they have been portrayed as ruthless and hard to kill. It took five guys to kill one wight in the books. They aren't supposed to be fodder. They are supposed to be dangerous.

Venomgxt

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

6:30 - 7:55 reminds me of Zelda game. I would like Ramin Djawadi to compose a Zelda tv series or movie.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
To be honest, the battle of Winterfell always felt to me like it was gonna be the ultimate Do or Die (unstoppable force meet unmovable obstacle) game.

The defenders were holed up in a castle in a very remote part of the world and if that castle were to fall, the few people who might be able to get away would have no immediate place to retreat to before the dead caught up with them. The amount of survivors would be limited to what could reasonably fit on two dragons, assuming they survived or weren't too injured to fly long distances.

The attackers consisted of a supernatural force of barely sentient reanimated corpses and a few dozen ice demons who never had to retreat before and met a problem they couldn't solve through the use of the "throw vast hordes of wights at it and cast mass resurrection for troops replenishment every once in a while" strategy. Which admittedly was dreadfully effective even in this episode and only failed because of a brief stretch of luck on the good guys' part. There was no indication the dead would have stopped before the last living were gone or they were all gone and it was made pretty clear their numbers advantage was so overwhelming that killing them one by one was ruled right out from the start.

It was always gonna be "everything or nothing". (especially since the alliance at Winterfell had the only means, dragons and a large amount of dragonglass weaponry, able to even resist the undead) And I quote "everything" because while the living won, their forces were decimated to the point where I question they can even call themselves an army at this point. So it wasn't "they all live or they all die". It was more like "the dead all died, but so did a lot of the living".

Until the Night King was gone, the status quo as it was was gonna remain: Jon's and Dany's forces grouped together in a somewhat uneasy Alliance with Cersei treated as a distraction. Stretching that out until the end of the season (and then ending as soon as the big bad was defeated) would probably not have resulted in something better than what we currently got.
Yep. The moment you commit to a battle against against the White Walkers at Winterfell it becomes obvious it's either a complete victory or total failure, and I am certain the same people claiming a retreat of some kind could happen would be the same people drawing embarrassing diagrams showing how a retreat was impossible and patting each other on the back for once again showing that the GOT showrunners are lazy, talentless hacks.

This was always going to be the end of the White Walkers story.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Cant wait for The Hound to grab a chicken after he kills the Mountain, and then he dies by choking on a bone.

~ subverted ~

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
And this is why people have a problem.
I suppose it's also another question of who in the cast are asking questions. The closest thing would be Tyrion and he has never shown interest in the subject and had no reason to. When it comes to exposition, it should be pertinent to the characters and their interests, weaved organically into conversations, (the NK's motive weaved into the convo where they come up with a plan to fight them), not just a character speaking to the audience's biggest lore geeks.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Thought it was a great episode. I got incredibly emotional when the NK went down. Only issues is that way more people should have died. Sam living when he was just kind of sitting there was mad dumb.

Cersei being the final boss works for me cause she's already caused my fav moment in the series. Excited to see what they do with her.
I still watch episode 10 of season 6 here and there just because it's such an incredible moment of television. And each and every time, even though I know what she's about to do to some characters I like, I still root for her in that episode because she earns I. Cersei is just so suave, badass, and deliciously evil. The scene where she's confessing to the Septon still gives me chills. I actually wouldn't mind a scenario where Cersei loses the Kingdom but somehow still survives and escapes from Westeros or something. Her level of evil seems well suited for Essos.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Yep. The moment you commit to a battle against against the White Walkers at Winterfell it becomes obvious it's either a complete victory or total failure, and I am certain the same people claiming a retreat of some kind could happen would be the same people drawing embarrassing diagrams showing how a retreat was impossible and patting each other on the back for once again showing that the GOT showrunners are lazy, talentless hacks.

Ah, imagined hypocrisy. The best kind of hypocrisy because it literally can't be proven wrong.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
Emilia clarke said in an interview that episode 5 will be even bigger in scope than episode 3, in terms of sheers numbers, 100k wights, all heres basically, 3 dragons, 10 white walkers and the king, all in one battle, how can it be bigger? The golden company is 20k men, and euron's fleet only works in the sea, I mean... really, how can anything they do moving forward be bigger in scope than episode 3? I dont see it.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The show was also set in the ancient times as well? I've seen pictures and scenes before and it looks modern, but that picture looks like it wouldn't be out of place in Galdiator.
So yea I'll reiterate, literally stopping the story to explain the villain in Lost was one of the worst things about the show's later seasons.

Ab Aeterno already touched upon the motivations of Jacob/MIB in a brilliant way, and that was one of the most beloved episodes. And yes it showed way more than GoT ever did in regards to the White Walkers/Night King. Across the Sea definitely showed way too much, but the main reason it was panned was the introduction of the
It made a simple villain way more convoluted than he needed to be.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If this is what one episode of a TV show not going the way you want it to go does to you then I really don't wanna see how you deal with disappointment in real life.

I always try to see things positive, so I still have hope, as in, something is going on with Bran and the showrunners has been hiding it.

There are 3 80 min episodes left of hope.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Dany will grieve for them next episode.
She definitely should, the look on her face when all the arakhs were going out kind of sealed it. Something has to be said about the Dothraki. This can't be the end of their legacy entirely. Lame as fuck.
The utter waste is part of what makes the episode for me. It was a stupid and arrogant ploy and full of hope. Tactically ridiculous but this is a show where Ramsay crippled a thousands strong army with 20 dudes. More importantly it highlighted how easily the hope of winning is dashed, and brings in the tone of the rest of the episode.
Yes it did that, they all died so that the main characters and the viewer could experience an emotion. Watch this video

Can't really disagree here. The payoff doesn't quite feel worth it after all these years (even if I did personally still enjoy the episode), and the backstory for NK should've been shown rather than told to us as well, yeah. But really, I think the writers just rushed the hell out of this to get it out of the way, so they could get to the last three episodes. Hopefully, which each of them being extended as well, the payoff there feels well worth it.
I did personally enjoy the episode as well. The thing is, I am glad that they dealt with the supernatural threat, before dealing with the final human threat, but the way it was done was not enough for me. Everything about the Others needed to be fleshed out before getting them out of the picture. If this is the last of the battle of ice and fire then I wanted to see more dragon burning zombie carnage, wanted to see some of Viserion accidentally incinerating the zombies (since blue fire is way hotter and more intense than yellow fire, that would've been an interesting twist) but the dragons overall had little impact and were out of commission for a good portion of this episode too.

I get there is not much to the white walkers but with all the buildup and little to no action from the night king just makes it all too convenient. As well as with Bran also being out of commission doing nothing with warging in the episode. Like the poll options say...so many glaring problems

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I find it funny this episode is getting so much backlash when Spoils of War and Beyond the Wall last year were just as dumb if not worse. I expected this and more.

Actually compared to last season so far this one isn't as bad. Has a few episodes to get there though...

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
If the next episode is bigger, it's going to make the NK and his army look even more like jobbers.

Waffles

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I suppose it's also another question of who in the cast are asking questions. The closest thing would be Tyrion and he has never shown interest in the subject and had no reason to. When it comes to exposition, it should be pertinent to the characters and their interests, weaved organically into conversations, (the NK's motive weaved into the convo where they come up with a plan to fight them), not just a character speaking to the audience's biggest lore geeks.

I don't mean that I want a big exposition dump, because I didn't want that either. It was the not pertinent to the story part that I was focusing on. Because that's ultimately what it feels like and is why some of us aren't thrilled. You can absolutely have a side conflict to the main conflict (WW threat > Iron Throne) and that's fine. But you can make it more meaningful.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
a more complex origin story for the others would have been shown through bran
They already showed the origin. The most important bit of it, something that would explain why the Night King indiscriminately wants to destroy everything. He was someone who was through magic forcefully turned into a monster. Literally the only time's he's sent a message was whenever his troops created the symbol that was there when he was forcefully turned.

I don't mean that I want a big exposition dump, because I didn't want that either. It was the not pertinent to the story part that I was focusing on. Because that's ultimately what it feels like and is why some of us aren't thrilled.
Because you wanted more info that wasn't pertinent to the story?

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I still watch episode 10 of season 6 here and there just because it's such an incredible moment of television. And each and every time, even though I know what she's about to do to some characters I like, I still root for her in that episode because she earns I. Cersei is just so suave, badass, and deliciously evil. The scene where she's confessing to the Septon still gives me chills. I actually wouldn't mind a scenario where Cersei loses the Kingdom but somehow still survives and escapes from Westeros or something. Her level of evil seems well suited for Essos.

Favorite moment in any TV show by far. Absolutely floored me.

I liked what happened here but still didn't reach those highs. Hoping Cersei brings it.

Deleted member 52442

Banned
Jan 24, 2019
I assume this has been posted, but if not -

Like many fellow theorists, book readers, and tinfoil soothsayers, I was taken aback by the outcome of the Battle of Winterfell. Arya felling the Night King seemingly negates the entirety of the prophecy regarding Azor Ahai reborn and Lightbringer and seems to dash any semblance of the themes related to the war against the Great Other (personal sacrifice, etc). All that we've speculated. All that we've surmised and guessed and pondered meant nothing...

But my user tag isn't "Proud Knight of House Tinfoil" for nothing! I'm going to double-down, dig in, and do some late-game theorizing that, if true, would show that we've been double-duped by a false flag operation... committed by the true Great Other, the Three-Eyed Crow (or Raven, in the show). Follow me down the tinfoil rabbit hole!
https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/bjm9az/the_great_war_isnt_over_spoilers_extended/

Interesting theory on where the show is going

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
one whight nearly killed Jon and Mormont, they have been portrayed as ruthless and hard to kill. It took five guys to kill one wight in the books.

I love the books but they have nothing to with this. As for the one whight, yeah one of them is enough to kill you, just like one zombie can kill your favorite Walking Dead character. Doesn't mean Daryl or Rick can't survive some 100 vs 1 situations, thank God. What kind of verisimilitude are we expecting here ?

Then the same people are upset the NK doesn't give Jon a fair 1Vs1 « I just raised my power level haha » fight. I'm not following you guys.

The only TRULY dumb thing impossible to explain in the context of the show is the crypt bullshit. Even if you think it's safer than out there (and it was), they should have at least prepared for this possibility. The wight destroying the tomb from within was bullshit as well, because they are never portrayed with such individual strength.

Oct 25, 2017
Emilia clarke said in an interview that episode 5 will be even bigger in scope than episode 3, in terms of sheers numbers, 100k wights, all heres basically, 3 dragons, 10 white walkers and the king, all in one battle, how can it be bigger? The golden company is 20k men, and euron's fleet only works in the sea, I mean... really, how can anything they do moving forward be bigger in scope than episode 3? I dont see it.

A proper siege of KL would do it. They could marshal the regular folk in addition to the golden troops and the fleet in the harbor.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
I love the books but they have nothing to with this. As for the one whight, yeah one of them is enough to kill you, just like one zombie can kill your favorite Walking Dead character. Doesn't mean Daryl or Rick can't survive some 100 vs 1 situations, thank God. What kind of verisimilitude are we expecting here ?
h.
The fact this show is now being equated with the walking dead's approach is a depressing reflection how bad it has gotten.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
It'll be in the daytime, so they'll turn up the draw distance on the CGI.

Status
Not open for further replies.