• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mokeyjoe

Dec 22, 2017
Not really, you said she's "probably better trained than anyone". Why would she be? When did she train to fight and with whom and how does that compare to the training people like the Unsullied, Brienne, Hound, Dothraki, Daario, etc have had?

True. I'm basing this off the reputation of the Faceless Men as the most lethal assassins in the GoT world. Could just be good PR I guess.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the Night King really only wanted to kill the Three Eyed Raven, it seems like the White Walkers would have won by killing Bran even if they were vanquished.

Though we still haven't seen why Bran is so important.

FoxJenkins

Dec 12, 2017
With the numbers and vicious nature of the WW how could it of lasted longer? There wasn't going to be battles at the old tree down the path and breaks in between. It had to be quick for the humans to win. WW don't stop.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
He literally said what the white walkers wanted. We literally have ZERO reason to believe they wanted anything BUT destruction and endless winter.
okay, but again, like I said before in a longer post, if that is literally all the night king wants, then he lacks in substance as a villain in this universe. He's just a cliche villain who is evil just to be evil. That's disappointing and the payoff does not feel fulfilled

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In truth the issue is how rushed everything feels.

The end of last seasons should have been the battle of winterfell (maybe with half the force that they had)

Then most of this season should have been about the walkers and winter should have actually come and stayed for a bit.

People were complaining about how slow the two episodes before this felt.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
With the numbers and vicious nature of the WW how could it of lasted longer? There wasn't going to be battles at the old tree down the path and breaks in between. It had to be quick for the humans to win. WW don't stop.
*Ahem*
"But I've watched some Lindybeige videos and Shaun of the Dead, and I have some critiques of their tactics"

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
okay, but again, like I said before in a longer post, if that is literally all the night king wants, then he lacks in substance as a villain in this universe.
He's a literal metaphor for global warming. There was never an indication in the show that there was gonna be some elaborate twist. That lack of remorse, that indiscriminate killing and subjugation regardless of class, blood, or history. It's a terrifying concept in a world where every bad person has incredibly elaborate reasons to be the way they are. It's more than just insanity like Joffrey, it's something much more sinister.

Last edited:

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If the Night King really only wanted to kill the Three Eyed Raven, it seems like the White Walkers would have won by killing Bran even if they were vanquished.

Though we still haven't seen why Bran is so important.
"Memory!!!!" Even though the three eyed raven doesn't historically share information much or anything, but it's super important even if it's rarely utilized!

There are a few ways.

A: Night king sets a horde on Winterfell and brings the dragon to King's Landing. King's landing has no valyrian steel or dragonglass, so they'd be fucked. Meanwhile Winterfell barely survives the horde sent, takes out some white walkers that control the wights for victory, but, ultimately, their plan fell to pieces because Bran was wrong, and the NK is shown to be a bit more cunning than "kill the guy in the wheel-chair at any cost".

They have to head south to take on the new threat. The few nobles left now have to choose between Cersi(if she lived) and the people who were dealing with the White Walkers to begin with.

B: I actually thought this was going to happen for a bit during the episode, but: a few characters escape, end up running. This could be done as a brutalized army having a disorganized retreat or a handful of people making it out and warning the south. Lots of directions to take things from there, including an apocalyptic one (Considering the NK would have dragons, nowhere would be safe).

C: Change the set-up. It could've been that the game of thrones part of it is settled before this point, and armies and lines of defense are being organized from King's landing by whoever is on the throne. The threat marches south and plan after plan fails.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
So..Question..

What about Crastor's baby? Did we ever see him again after the NK touches him? He's not technically "dead", so with the NK being destroyed, does he die too? Or maybe he'll turn into the new NK. That would be fucked up lmao.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
He's a literal metaphor for global warming.
and i've also said several times that if that is the case, I think it reinforces the genius of GRRM. nature fighting back. and I also said verbatim, there hasn't been enough exposition on the white walkers for their motivation to be interpreted this way, if this truly is the case. right now it's just something i've heard fans of the lore speculate, which I agree with but haven't seen enough laid out on screen for

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
So..Question..

What about Crastor's baby? Did we ever see him again after the NK touches him? He's not technically "dead", so with the NK being destroyed, does he die too? Or maybe he'll turn into the new NK. That would be fucked up lmao.
I think we're supposed to believe he was one of those white walker generals.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
So..Question..

The idea seemed to be he was turned into a White Walker, and all the other White Walkers died when the Night King did, so... he's pebble ice

hendersonhank

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So..Question..

All White Walkers died when NK died. Apparently everything NK created dies with him.

The real question was where was that baby and the other White Walkers kids when the army marched south. Back in the North in ice cribs with a WW nanny?

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
We have been shown ZERO to suggest she is "probably better trained than anyone", so I can't even imagine why people keep saying things like that. All of the knights, Dothraki, mercenaries, etc have done nothing but fight and train to fight their entire lives.

Arya took a few lessons at 8 years old, then had no training whatsoever for years while she was a captive in Harrenhal, captive of the Brotherhood, captive of the Hound, then had some staff "training" at the House of Black and White for however long she was there -- but she was not being "trained" to fight, merely beaten up until she could slightly protect herself as a form of self-preservation. She was expressly forbidden from touching her sword, we never saw Jaqen or the Waif use any sword, we saw no swords in the House of Black and White. The only time the Waif even used a knife was to gut Arya and the actress, otherwise we saw no knives in the House either. Yet somehow Arya is a master swordsman and knife thrower after leaving.

Meanwhile we see Jon training repeatedly, we see Brienne training, we see Jaime training, we see the Mountain training, and we know these guys have been training -- and fighting for real -- for their entire lives. We have probably literally seen Podrick training more than we have seen Arya training.

....this aside from the obvious logic that it's moronic to think Faceless Men would be great hand to hand combatants. Their whole point is to be invisible assassins, not warriors. And if they are training to make magic face masks, assume new identities, make and use poisons, change their voices, serve their God, deliver the "gift", clean the temple, etc etc, how could they ALSO train enough to be the best swordsmen when so many others train ONLY for that? It's absurd in every respect.
The hound taught her some. When they first left the Red Wedding they run across Frey men. She kills one poorly. "The first man you've killed?" he asks. "First man." she replies

Later they come across Polliver. The hound does all the heavy lifting, but she attacks from behind (a real big theme in the show) and stabs him through the chin.

Finally when she stabs Rorge, she stabs him cleanly in the heart the hound comments "you're learning."

Jon barely trains. He's teaching his fellow recruits of the nights watch since he arrived. He barely uses his sword until he's back south of the wall bailing on Ygrette. But he's magically ready to battle.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
He's a literal metaphor for global warming. There was never an indication in the show that there was gonna be some elaborate twist. That lack of remorse, that indiscriminate killing and subjugation regardless of class, blood, or history. It's a terrifying concept in a world where every bad person has incredibly elaborate reasons to be the way they are. It's more than just insanity like Joffrey, it's something much more sinister.

The "literal metaphor" for global warming can be taken down by one stabby girl? I don't know, if this metaphor is what GRRM intended I think it would be a little more difficult to vanquish this foe.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i'm surprised the last choice is in the lead now. was not expecting that

With everyone's expectations and so few episodes to wrap things up, it seems an impossible task to please everyone.
As a spectacle I enjoyed the episode a lot, it was very entertaining and fantastically executed.

I do not expect them to tell the story that I want to hear, I do not expect a body count just for the sake of a body count. I'm listening to the story and invested in the characters until I am not.

(And they still have a few more hours to surprise us)

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
and i've also said several times that if that is the case, I think it reinforces the genius of GRRM. nature fighting back. and I also said verbatim, there hasn't been enough exposition on the white walkers for their motivation to be interpreted this way, if this truly is the case.
Let's look at their actions.
-After being created we know they got out of control and humanity and the COTF had to settle their differences to fight back the threat through unknown means only hinted at via thousand year old legends
-Beyond the wall and stuck there due to magic, they indiscriminately killed any human they came across, (wildlings) resulting in an army 1000 years in the making, waiting for an opportunity to get past the wall that stops them from creating "The Long Night."
-The Night King, someone who was once human and forced to become something much more sinister, waited and bided his time, and attempted to over the course of 1000 years, kill the 3ER
-The second he learns of the location of the 3ER, he goes to kill him.
-When humans capture a wight, he captures a dragon, which he uses to destroy the wall
-He kills anything and everything he can find between the wall and Winterfell, as his target is Bran, who he knows is the 3ER and has marked accordingly before
- After Bran, his next goal is the world itself

Where does a twist factor into this?

The "literal metaphor" for global warming can be taken down by one stabby girl?
A)A stabby girl
B)An obese man
C)A teenage girl
D)A trained swordsman
E)All of the above

pick one

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've never had a problem with that
On-screen: Detailed strategic reasons why defeating Stannis would be difficult and they wouldn't be able to fight them on an open field, but could probably beat him out in a siege.

Ramsay: Gimme 20 good men, Imma sneak into a well-protected camp and light literally ALL dem supplies on fire off-screen in an unexplained manner and get away without being captured because, TWENTY GOOD MEN!

Like, if they on-screened that shit instead of Deus Ex Machina'd it I'd have less problem. It'd still be BS. Ramsay ain't a ninja.

Waffles

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
and i've also said several times that if that is the case, I think it reinforces the genius of GRRM. nature fighting back. and I also said verbatim, there hasn't been enough exposition on the white walkers for their motivation to be interpreted this way, if this truly is the case. right now it's just something i've heard fans of the lore speculate, which I agree with but haven't seen enough laid out on screen for

I think GRRM definitely has a global warming metaphor in mind for them. The show, however seems more like a WMD metaphor. So if you get rid of the nukes, you can get back to business. Which, frankly is kind of boring to me. An actual global warming metaphor would have been much more interesting, because there are actual elements of both recurrence and something fighting back against our heroes for a reason.

Plum

May 31, 2018
"Body count for the sake a body count."

This isn't directed at you specifically Ingueferroque but nobody is asking for that. It's such a reductive statement and I'm growing real tired of hearing it.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
We still have three episodes to go, are we really believing Cersei is all there is to it? The Walkers will be back.

Oct 26, 2017
On-screen: Detailed strategic reasons why defeating Stannis would be difficult and they wouldn't be able to fight them on an open field, but could probably beat him out in a siege.

Ramsay: Gimme 20 good men, Imma sneak into a well-protected camp and light literally ALL dem supplies on fire off-screen in an unexplained manner and get away without being captured because, TWENTY GOOD MEN!

Like, if they on-screened that shit instead of Deus Ex Machina'd it I'd have less problem.
Yep. It was extremely lazy, and I seriously want to know what was going through their heads. "Man, they're going to think Joffrey 2.0 is badass!" Nope.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
Is there anything in the prophecy (show only not book) that says the Prince That Was Promised had to personally kill the Night King? I think Jon and Dany combined are The Prince That Were Promised as they were pivotal in bringing together all of Westeros (except Cersei) and the dragons to help defeat the White Walkers. Without all that Arya wouldn't have had a chance to kill the Night King.

Eldy

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
OT but....

Should I read a Knight of the Seven Kingdoms first, or start with A Game of Thrones? First time book reader here.

The main series and the Dunk & Egg stories don't have a ton of direct connections, so I don't think it matters much one way or another. There are concepts that appear in the Dunk & Egg stories which people who read the mainline novels will recognize, but there are historical references in the mainline novels that won't mean much unless you've read Dunk & Egg. Generally I advise always reading/watching things in release order, but I wouldn't necessarily advise cutting back and forth between the novels and individual Dunk & Egg stories in strict publication order (though there's no particular reason not to either). If you hadn't watched the show I'd probably say go with the novels first just to get a sense of what the setting is like, but as it is, I'd say just go with whatever you feel in the mood for.

hendersonhank

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The hound taught her some. When they first left the Red Wedding they run across Frey men. She kills one poorly. "The first man you've killed?" he asks. "First man." she replies

Later they come across Polliver. The hound does all the heavy lifting, but she attacks from behind (a real big theme in the show) and stabs him through the chin.

Finally when she stabs Rorge, she stabs him cleanly in the heart the hound comments "you're learning."

Jon barely trains. He's teaching his fellow recruits of the nights watch since he arrived. He barely uses his sword until he's back south of the wall bailing on Ygrette. But he's magically ready to battle.

Figuring out after a sloppy kill that the heart is a better target doesn't make her trained, much less better trained than anyone else.

Syrio when Arya is 8 years old is literally the last time anyone says "do this, not that" or shows her a single thing. The Hound saying her and her Needle aren't shit against a big man in armor isn't "training".

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
Figuring out after a sloppy kill that the heart is a better target doesn't make her trained, much less better trained than anyone else.

Syrio when Arya is 8 years old is literally the last time anyone says "do this, not that" or shows her a single thing. The Hound saying her and her Needle aren't shit against a big man in armor isn't "training".
She never sleeps or eats either. How is she still alive???

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
Let's look at their actions.
-After being created we know they got out of control and humanity and the COTF had to settle their differences to fight back the threat through unknown means only hinted at via thousand year old legends
-Beyond the wall and stuck there due to magic, they indiscriminately killed any human they came across, (wildlings) resulting in an army 1000 years in the making, waiting for an opportunity to get past the wall that stops them from creating "The Long Night."
-The Night King, someone who was once human and forced to become something much more sinister, waited and bided his time, and attempted to over the course of 1000 years, kill the 3ER
-The second he learns of the location of the 3ER, he goes to kill him.
-When humans capture a wight, he captures a dragon, which he uses to destroy the wall
-He kills anything and everything he can find between the wall and Winterfell, as his target is Bran, who he knows is the 3ER and has marked accordingly before
- After Bran, his next goal is the world itself

Where does a twist factor into this?
i'm not sure where you saw me post that I expected some sort of great twist with the white walkers. the metaphor of the night king as climate change is great symbolism, but on the show, there was not enough ground covered with this particular sentiment. at the end of the day, he's the greatest threat in the world, bringing it to an apocalypse that was miraculously prevented. but as a superpowered villain, throughout the series itself as is portrayed, he does not do much throughout other than impose. he raises his hands to create his dead slaves, he kills a 3er, and he kills a dragon to get himself one that spits even hotter fire than the living ones.

at one point he finds Bran in an ethereal plane, and seeing as how he comes face to face with Bran, I expected something more definitive to come out of this scene other than them two staring at each other until Arya showed up. I wanted something more than that especially because we don't know what the fuck Bran was doing when he was warged. It's almost like it was a copout.

Deleted member 51103

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Portland, Oregon
User warned: derogatory meme
I thought it was mostly fine, my girlfriend HATED it.

Characters were teleporting around( Jon, Jora ), and Arya-sue at the end was really lame. We get it, she is a badass.

Nobody of significance died, creators totally chickened out there.

Of course, the regular crowd is here ready to argue to the death saying our opinions are WRONG and actually everything was great because ARYA IS STRONG AND TLJ WAS PERFECT REEEEEEEEEEEE yeah I see you.

Status
Not open for further replies.