• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User banned (1 week): posting major unmarked leak spoilers in the non-leaks topic
[mod edit: leak spoilers removed]

Last edited by a moderator:

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have any hope left? Is there positive thinking in here? We have one more Miguel Sapochnik episode to go, and it's going to be a big day time battle with a dragon at King's Landing. Anyone excited? What about Sandor vs Gregor? That's happening right? And Arya pulling off one more big assassination? Gotta be better than this week's episode at the least right?! Anyone???
I am still gonna enjoy the show. I get the whole issue with limited time and I get where D&D are coming from. But regardless there prob should have been atleast another full season to help the plot.

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Anyone have any hope left? Is there positive thinking in here? We have one more Miguel Sapochnik episode to go, and it's going to be a big day time battle with a dragon at King's Landing. Anyone excited? What about Sandor vs Gregor? That's happening right? And Arya pulling off one more big assassination? Gotta be better than this week's episode at the least right?! Anyone???
I'm still gonna enjoy the fuck out of it, unless they somehow pull some bullshit to push me over the edge. So far I've been fine with most things (except for Rhaegal being sniped by Euron, that had me in stitches because of how predictable and stupid it was), so I don't think that's likely.

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm probably gonna dip out of this thread. I'm already feeling very bad about this show, And this thread is just exacerbating that feeling.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Does anyone else just straight up not give a shit about cersei? I feel like I've seen everything she has to offer as a character, I wish she was killed at like the beginning of last season. There has been nowhere interesting to go with her for awhile, it's just boring.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Does anyone else just straight up not give a shit about cersei? I feel like I've seen everything she has to offer as a character, I wish she was killed at like the beginning of last season. There has been nowhere interesting to go with her for awhile, it's just boring.

Lena Headey is amazing and that smirk gives me nightmares, but yes, Cersei has really not been particularly interesting for a while now. She had very little screentime this season too. This is one of the main reasons why I was so disappointed that the Night King wasn't the final big bad.

ProfessorLobo

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah they should've killed her a long time ago, and I feel like the books probably will.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Writers forgot how to write her.

"Go kill my brothers, I'll make you a lord"

Sees the Dragon Queen, her grounded dragon and the brother she hired Bronn to assassinate right before her, all in range of her dozen+ ballistas and assortment of archers

"Nah I'm not gonna kill all of you right here when you're defenseless, I'll just kill this chick and make u mad lol"

_Karooo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
61sEE89.png

Holy shit. Confirmation that Bran manipulated Theon.

He knew Arya was on her way to the Night King and was afraid Theon was going to Reek out so he gave him what he wanted so he could feel good enough about himself to stay his ground.

Bran playing 4D chess.
what the fuck is this?

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lena Headey is amazing and that smirk gives me nightmares, but yes, Cersei has really not been particularly interesting for a while now. She had very little screentime this season too. This is one of the main reasons why I was so disappointed that the Night King wasn't the final big bad.
It seems to me that all the main actors in got could only make their characters interesting as long as they had someone equally great/ interesting to talk to.

Cercei, Jaime and Tyrion had Tywin, Margery and Olenna. Davos had Stannis. Jon and Sam had Ser Alliser/ Jeor Mormont, Arya had Jaquen, Sansa had LF, Danny had... Er... Well, you get the point.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
She was ruthless in support of her children, and that was great. After she ran out of children she ran out of steam.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
61sEE89.png

He knew Arya was on her way to the Night King and was afraid Theon was going to Reek out so he gave him what he wanted so he could feel good enough about himself to stay his ground.

Bran playing 4D chess.
Even if this is just the actor's interpretation, it's sad that this is their idea of the character, and the idea that the writers/directors have put in their heads.

It's just awful what they have turned Bran into, and this is just an awful take in general, and just makes the episode even worse.

McPaul

Banned
May 6, 2019
61sEE89.png

Bran playing 4D chess.
Holy shit they need to stfu.This ruins the whole scene for me.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Even if I see what he's saying, I have no idea how people can honestly deny what GOT has turned into. People that still put it on this untouchable pedestal of quality baffle me. For pure spectacle? Of course. Admiration of the mammoth task of such an adaptation? No question. Just don't try and convince me that some of this stuff hasn't turned into lazy, hackneyed nonsense. If there wen't only two episodes left I'd check the F out and stop watching at the rate they're going.

I've seen people unironically say that Walking Dead is "still one of the best shows on TV despite its issues."

Keep in mind this is a show that's arguably been garbage since its second season.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
She was ruthless in support of her children, and that was great. After she ran out of children she ran out of steam.

She also ran out of interesting characters to play off of in Kings Landing.

Baylor's Sept was a spectacular episode, but it was like a finale to her storyline. After that she had no antagonists in KL to battle against and aside from Jamie's short stay there the only other character in KL for her to even really talk to was Qyburn.

Goes back to one of the big issues I had with Dany in Mereen - you can't write a book/show about political intrigue if there's only one side. Without her kids or anyone to play against her in KL Cersei just sorta sits there waiting for someone to arrive.

Euron came in as sort of frienemy, but he's written so poorly that he achieves nothing besides removing pieces from the board when it's convenient.

Holy shit they need to stfu.This ruins the whole scene for me.

Honestly, just ignore stuff like that. If it's not on the show it's just pulling shit out of thin air. It's like JK Rowling retroactively making characters gay - it doesn't mean a damn thing unless you make that info clear in the medium.

In this case thank goodness they didn't make it clear, because holy hell *would* ruin that entire scene.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
Just wait until after the finale when they blame GRRM.

They teased blaming GRRM loooong before this finale was close to airing. Years before they got to this point you could tell they expected him to/hoped he would have helped them out a bit by releasing even just one of the last two books by then, and in the process gave them something more to work with than a CliffsNotes summary and a half-torn map

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
They teased blaming GRRM loooong before this finale was close to airing. Years before they got to this point you could tell they expected him to/hoped he would have helped them out a bit by releasing even just one of the last two books by then, and in the process gave them something more to work with than a CliffsNotes summary and a half-torn map
... written on the back of Giants gameday roster.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
I agree the Cersei is boring at this point. I don't even know what her motivation is anymore other than "wanting to be Queen." Could use a scene or two in Kings Landing to show what the people actually think of her. Maybe she's actually good at running things when no one's around to interfere?

The writers did a good job of emulating real world politics since the remaining heirs to the throne all seem pretty lackluster. I'd be down for a republic with Varys in charge after all this shit.

DvergrBlod

Oct 26, 2017
I just watched first episode of first season. I'm kinda disappointed that direwolves ended up being nothing that important. Seemed in first episode that they are something significant for whole story.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I agree the Cersei is boring at this point. I don't even know what her motivation is anymore other than "wanting to be Queen." Could use a scene or two in Kings Landing to show what the people actually think of her. Maybe she's actually good at running things when no one's around to interfere?

The writers did a good job of emulating real world politics since the remaining heirs to the throne all seem pretty lackluster. I'd be down for a republic with Varys in charge after all this shit.
This show ends with the people signing the Declaration of Independence.

USW! USW! USW!

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I just watched first episode of first season. I'm kinda disappointed that direwolves ended up being nothing that important. Seemed in first episode that they are something significant for whole story.
Because in the books they are and the first season was a pretty good adaptation of the books. However, somewhere along the line I guess D&D decided they don't like dogs.

Hell, Bran Stark is the window into the magical lore of the world and the show acts like it's embarrassed about being a fantasy series.
I think it's mainly Benioff who just hates everything mythological and supernatural. After all, he's also the guy that changed the Greek myth of The Trojan War into a "realistic" action spectacle. That is a story that is all about the Gods and their games, but Benioff thought "Nope, let's just cut all of that out for the big budget film version. We want to make it real!"

Last edited:

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Because in the books they are and the first season was a pretty good adaptation of the books. However, somewhere along the line I guess D&D decided they don't like dogs.

I'm presuming it was a cost saving measure, but even then you see Summer and Grey Wind enough that it felt odd that Ghost got so little screentime, especially once he was the only Direwolf really left (since Nymeria was basically not part of the story).

The farewell was so cludgey it's like the forgot they needed to do something with him before Jon left. I almost wonder if the bit with Jon talking to Ghost where Ghost is just sorta standing over by some ruins by himself was added in later because they realized it'd look even worse if Jon just left and you had Ghost walk to Tormund.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't get like any of the conundrums presented in this episode and the last two seasons. Why can't Dany attack King's Landing? Innocents will die? Sure, but what the fuck was their plan this whole time? What was the plan when they were traveling over from Essos. There would have to be some warring. They'd have to take the city at some point. And why the fuck is literally starving the people so much more humane than attacking? With attacking you can at least mostly target military and maybe get the leader, Cersei quickly if lucky or planned well. Starving hits only the common folk for a long while. So conventional attack keeps getting sidelined for "reasons" and the actual reason seemed to be that it'd cut the show short if done last season and this season it's because they wanted to stall until the plot could make sure she'd fuck up the attack by being angry.

And then the Jon vs Dany conversation between Tyrion and Varys makes zero sense. For one it's brought about by the Jon revelation but suddenly Dany shouldn't be queen? She hasn't DONE anything to warrant that conversation. So the only issue is Jon's lineage, which, sure could be hairy, but Varys is dismissing marriage out of hand and the only reason is he can't marry his aunt. So suddenly for no real reason Dany CANNOT be queen and Jon HAS to be leader because he brings the north, but aunt marriage is out of line? Varys claims to be for the realm but Jon marrying Dany is a bridge too far? He doesn't even seem like he's against it, just that Jon likely would be and they haven't even asked.

So Varys is alluding to possibly assassinating her. He really thinks having a bunch of Dothraki and Unsullied leaderless throughout the country is a good plan for the realm? How does any of this get rid of Cersei?

If the person who wants power least should get it then why was Varys helping her this long? He lacks a dick, not ears. She's wanted this shit forever. And now both Tyrion and Jon wouldn't temper her worst impulses? What was his plan prior to Jon when she had three dragons?

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, I would be surprised if the wolves didn't have a decent part to play in the books. GRRM has made a point to keep reminding us that Nymeria exists and has a huge pack of wolves while the show has only brought her up to send her away.

This show ends with the people signing the Declaration of Independence.

USW! USW! USW!

Can't wait for the GoT version of this

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Cersei killed a lot of people in season 6 and terrorized them before that. Everyone hated her in season 5 once they found out about her kids being incest babies. It's dumbfounding that she has so many supporters suddenly these past 2 seasons. It doesn't really make sense.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also does anybody else notice how fucking loud the sipping noises are when they drink wine. Like good god take take it easy.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't get like any of the conundrums presented in this episode and the last two seasons. Why can't Dany attack King's Landing? Innocents will die? Sure, but what the fuck was their plan this whole time? What was the plan when they were traveling over from Essos. There would have to be some warring. They'd have to take the city at some point. And why the fuck is literally starving the people so much more humane than attacking? With attacking you can at least mostly target military and maybe get the leader, Cersei quickly if lucky or planned well. Starving hits only the common folk for a long while. So conventional attack keeps getting sidelined for "reasons" and the actual reason seemed to be that it'd cut the show short if done last season and this season it's because they wanted to stall until the plot could make sure she'd fuck up the attack by being angry.

And then the Jon vs Dany conversation between Tyrion and Varys makes zero sense. For one it's brought about by the Jon revelation but suddenly Dany shouldn't be queen? She hasn't DONE anything to warrant that conversation. So the only issue is Jon's lineage, which, sure could be hairy, but Varys is dismissing marriage out of hand and the only reason is he can't marry his aunt. So suddenly for no real reason Dany CANNOT be queen and Jon HAS to be leader because he brings the north, but aunt marriage is out of line? Varys claims to be for the realm but Jon marrying Dany is a bridge too far? He doesn't even seem like he's against it, just that Jon likely would be and they haven't even asked.

So Varys is alluding to possibly assassinating her. He really thinks having a bunch of Dothraki and Unsullied leaderless throughout the country is a good plan for the realm? How does any of this get rid of Cersei?

If the person who wants power least should get it then why was Varys helping her this long? He lacks a dick, not ears. She's wanted this shit forever. And now both Tyrion and Jon wouldn't temper her worst impulses? What was his plan prior to Jon when she had three dragons?

Not that I don't have problems with the show but most of these questions have decent answers.

Dany's plan for the first several seasons was to travel to Westeros and assume she'd be welcomed back with open arms as its rightful ruler. She's been coming to terms with the fact that the people won't automatically accept her for the past few seasons. She wants to be the ruler to "break the wheel" which means she wants to be liked, and hailed as a merciful, righteous ruler. In order to accomplish that goal she does not want to be seen as someone who burns down a city with dragons to reclaim the throne, so her advisers tell her to lay siege to the city and force the populace to revolt and throw out Cersei. The thinking is, "well Dany's not killing us, Cersei is because she refuses to give up this throne. Let's get her!" I'm not sure exactly how logical of a plan that is, considering we don't ever get a sense of how the population of KL feels about Cersei (or Dany) but they've made it clear that's the plan. Or was.

Varys is dismissing marriage because he thinks Dany will overpower Jon and he'll just sit in the back and do nothing to help rule more justly. Tyrion disagrees, he thinks Jon can help temper Dany's more ruthless impulses. The aunt/nephew relationship is not important.

Varys is probably planning to have Dany assassinated (if he is at all) after the war with Cersei. At least that was my take. He knows Cersei can't remain in charge so he's gonna use Dany's Dothraki and Unsullied to get rid of her, then try to get rid of Dany too. Then have Jon take over. That seems like his plan. What happens to the surviving Dothraki and Unsullied after that, who knows.

Again Varys seemed to back her because he knew she was better than Cersei. For as much as he's "for the realm" he has shown that he doesn't mind starting conflicts and killing innocents if it gets him the goal he's after.

Oct 25, 2017
What's annoying about all of this is that some of their original work earlier on was fantastic. It added a lot to the characters.
They seemingly understood them and their motivations, we know that they can write some top notch stuff.

The potential was there, but they're too far up their own arses to realise this isn't really good television.
You can't rely on spectacle alone, especially when you disregard everything that made the characters who they are and what they are fighting for. It feels like they're making this show for the drunken audience reactions on YT, like..none of this makes any sense.
They are deliberately missing details, Gendry 'Rivers', claiming that Targaryens can only ride dragons, claiming that Dany somehow forgot about the Iron Fleet, ruining Jon's character, Bran being a thick idiot, Dickon being Sam's 'older brother'.. How the hell is any of this happening?
8gob2l4tpho11.gif

Last edited:

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
What's annoying about all of this is that some of their original work earlier on was fantastic. It added a lot to the characters.
They seemingly understood them and their motivations, we know that they can write some top notch stuff.

The potential was there, but they're too far up their own arses to realise this isn't really good television.
You can't rely on spectacle alone, especially when you disregard everything that made the characters who they are and what they are fighting for. It feels like they're making this show for the drunken audience reactions on YT, like..none of this makes any sense.
They are deliberately missing details, Gendry 'Rivers', claiming that Targaryens can only ride dragons, claiming that Dany somehow forgot about the Iron Fleet, ruining Jon's character, Bran being a thick idiot.. How the hell is any of this happening?
8gob2l4tpho11.gif

Can ya'll please stop with that "Dany forgot about the Iron Fleet" nonsense? That quote has been taken out of context and repeated far too much. They were referring to the fact that Dany didn't consider that her enemies were busy preparing more defenses (such as scorpions) while she was up North.

Not that she literally forgot the fleet existed when she traveled to Dragonstone.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Dany's plan for the first several seasons was to travel to Westeros and assume she'd be welcomed back with open arms as its rightful ruler. She's been coming to terms with the fact that the people won't automatically accept her for the past few seasons. She wants to be the ruler to "break the wheel" which means she wants to be liked, and hailed as a merciful, righteous ruler. In order to accomplish that goal she does not want to be seen as someone who burns down a city with dragons to reclaim the throne, so her advisers tell her to lay siege to the city and force the populace to revolt and throw out Cersei. The thinking is, "well Dany's not killing us, Cersei is because she refuses to give up this throne. Let's get her!" I'm not sure exactly how logical of a plan that is, considering we don't ever get a sense of how the population of KL feels about Cersei (or Dany) but they've made it clear that's the plan. Or was.

This isn't a decent answer at all. Even if Dany did somehow think this (she didn't, I remember conversations about there needing to be battles and wars and how Westeros isn't going to just welcome her), Varys and Tyrion wouldn't think this.

Dany and her army would literally be starving the people. Sure they could get angry and go against Cersei, but that's a stretch and it still hurts them. As I said, why is that somehow better than a battle wherein they target the military and get to Cersei ASAP?

Varys is dismissing marriage because he thinks Dany will overpower Jon and he'll just sit in the back and do nothing to help rule more justly. Tyrion disagrees, he thinks Jon can help temper Dany's more ruthless impulses. The aunt/nephew relationship is not important.

But what caused him to suddenly question Dany altogether. That's my issue. Until now he's been helping Dany all the way. She's a fine ruler with advisors. That seems to have been his stance. But now she's NOT a fine ruler even with advisors AND Jon? What triggered this? Because the conversation revolves around Jon's lineage not anything she did.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
I'm sure its been discussed a million times over but how exactly were the dead going to get by the wall if not for the dragon?

Not trying to be 'snarky', I'm honestly just wondering was this addressed?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't a decent answer at all. Even if Dany did somehow think this (she didn't, I remember conversations about there needing to be battles and wars and how Westeros isn't going to just welcome her), Varys and Tyrion wouldn't think this.

Dany and her army would literally be starving the people. Sure they could get angry and go against Cersei, but that's a stretch and it still hurts them. As I said, why is that somehow better than a battle wherein they target the military and get to Cersei ASAP?

I'm talking about before Tyrion and Varys were helping her. Early on in the show she thought Westeros would welcome her back with open arms, and throughout the span of the show she's been slowly learning that's not the case. Yes, she knew she'd need armies to fight but she was always assuming the common people would love and welcome her. Bursting in with dragons and burning down their city would not get her the respect and love she's been wanting all her life.

Starving people is better than burning them though. As we saw in the past episode, Cersei is letting thousands of civilians into the red keep specifically so that Dany will need to kill thousands to get to her. Starving the people, while brutal, will turn their anger and hatred inwards towards to Cersei rather than outward towards Dany. Well, at least that was the plan.

But what caused him to suddenly question Dany altogether. That's my issue. Until now he's been helping Dany all the way. She's a fine ruler with advisors. That seems to have been his stance. But now she's NOT a fine ruler even with advisors AND Jon? What triggered this? Because the conversation revolves around Jon's lineage not anything she did.

Maybe I'm misremembering but I always thought he was a bit skeptical of Dany. Especially when they first landed in Westeros and she wanted to take KL with the dragons right away.

I'm sure its been discussed a million times over but how exactly were the dead going to get by the wall if not for the dragon?

Not trying to be 'snarky', I'm honestly just wondering was this addressed?

They could use one of the many gates along the wall at each of the wall castles. It would take longer of course but they have undead giants who could eventually break the gates down.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What a terrible excuse. 'Basically it was too much work so we said F it.'

This has always been the case with the Direwolves. They've said time and time again each season that the wolves are some of the most complicated and expensive things to do, hence they often prefer to put the budget elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.