• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Other than blowing up the Sept. And let's face it it, those religious zealots had it coming. Is cersai I such a bad queen? I mean the people aren't exactly suffering from what there shown and rhey seem to like her. I say let her have it. There are still plenty of slaves in Essos to save.
First of all she didn't just kill the religious nuts (who she armed by the way). Do you believe that this:

z0Lehb.gif

Would have been the only instance of Cersei sending the Mountain to kill civilians she didn't like?

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's my point, she suddenly cares because the show wants that scene in the episode, even though it makes no sense in context of her character. Based on everything we have seen and all that we know about Cersei, that scene just made no sense.

She cares when the writers need her to care. So I guess the writers decided she had to care enough not to kill them in that scene.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's my point, she suddenly cares because the show wants that scene in the episode, even though it makes no sense in context of her character. Based on everything we have seen and all that we know about Cersei, that scene just made no sense.

The guy is telling you to shut off your brain and just accept whatever comes at you. It's not an opinion worth engaging.

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I've been spending a lot of time on the book-only wiki (ASOIAF wiki) and man, I love this world. Really want the next book to come out so I can do a re-read of the whole series :(

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Apparently she does care a little bit.

I never had anything else to contribute. Maybe there doesn't need to be a reason or you just have to ask the writers. I don't know. Those are my thoughts based on that scene.
You know, you can always just say "I'm not sure, I haven't thought of that" or "I don't have an answer" from the beginning, and not say something dumb like "maybe there doesn't need to be a reason, OK" when responding to a fair and basic criticism. Otherwise what are we even doing here?

Neo_MG90

Apr 23, 2018
maybe in your own mind. But to the general public who hasn't read the books, it's been "sex, and power struggles, and oh there's an ice zombie occasionally"

Which makes me question why there even were zombies in the first place.
I think the show would be much more interesting without them and just focus on the Game of Thrones.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That feeling when you find out DnD not only wrote but also directed the final episode...

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
Yes.

But why, which was the point of my post. She could have ended the war right then and there with an attack that would have killed the two biggest threats to her throne

People are conveniently neglecting to acknowledge that Cersei is vulnerable in this scene as well. Dany & the Unsullied are assumed to be standing outside of archery range from the towers. Drogon is hanging back quite a bit further. Cersei could have opened the gate and had forces spill out, but you're basically banking on being able to kill Drogon with your first few Scorpion bolts at that point. If that doesn't happen, you're getting roasted alive right then and there.

Also- Cersei is well aware of the public relations game, here. She's actively trying to trigger Dany to get her to lash out and do something stupid.

And one more point- even if she had decided to gamble and it had gone her way, Jon's still marching south with the bulk of the forces. You're still going to have a war on your hands either way.

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Which makes me question why there even were zombies in the first place.
I think the show would be much more interesting without them and just focus on the Game of Thrones.
The idea (completely my opinion) was that the White Walkers and wights would come at the end as the final battle and victory over them would somehow end the "game of thrones".... but now we're literally back to the game of thrones as if the NK/WWs were never a thing.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tyrion: Let's overthrew Cercei!
Dany: OK, I'm going to burn the capital.
Tyrion: Whoa! We can't actually kill anyone!
Dany: So how do we overthrow Cercei?
Tyrion: Starve the commoners.
Dany: Why is that better than burning Cercei's home?
Tyrion: You're the mad Queen!

It's the same plan he pitched last season! Plus, they now know burning the food ships won't work. So how do they starve the commoners? Tyrion is a moron.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
Jaime's struggle with being a good man, whatever, still 2 episodes from the end is stupid. Its so easily solvable too, just have Sansa send Brienne to KL for a mission, and Jaime not wanting to be apart from her after finally giving in to his feelings, follows her there. And its tragic, he finally decided to choose healthy love and war keeps getting in the way.

Dany not seeing the fleet coming took me completely out of it. I still cant believe why they though this was the best way to do this.

So for the first time in the series Dany is justified in being rage filled after this one person did all that to her, and she is the crazy one because she wansts to kill cersei at all caosts now? Tyrion maes me sad for 2 seasons now, still trying to reason with cersei, making stupid military decisions, what a waste.

I think capturing Missandei was techically possible, Euron was in the meeting where they brought the wight to cersei so he knew she was part of Dany's inner circle, and he was there in the ship, so yeah, I can be ok with that. But the writer's fear to kill any primary character is mind boggling to me. why not tyrion, or varys? The investment in htem is clearly bigger.

I love arya and the hound again. wish we seen more of that.

Bronn coming in with a bow to see the hand of hte queen that easily is stupid. Another decison I could not believe they didnt come up with any better way to do. Its so lazy.

Jon, for the love of all the seven gods, pet you direwolf.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
People are conveniently neglecting to acknowledge that Cersei is vulnerable in this scene as well. Dany & the Unsullied are assumed to be standing outside of archery range from the towers. Drogon is hanging back quite a bit further. Cersei could have opened the gate and had forces spill out, but you're basically banking on being able to kill Drogon with your first few Scorpion bolts at that point. If that doesn't happen, you're getting roasted alive right then and there.
If they can shoot three consecutive long range shots with perfect accuracy, at a dragon that was flying and moving, from ships that were on wavy water, they can sure as shit do it to a stationary dragon that was a few hundred yards away.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Holy shit at the negative reception. I liked the episode more than the previous one, which I thought was decent.

I thoroughly enjoyed this episode, as well as the last one. I wish there was another thread where we could talk about the positive aspects of the show without being crushed by the same old knee jerk reactions over and over again. There's unfortunately no reason to really take part in this thread for somebody that is not full of hate and resentment.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Jaime is totally gonna kill Cersei. He's mad that after all that heinous shit that he did for her, she still tried to kill him.

I'm more upset at how they ruined Brienne lol. That sobbing and pleading holy fucking hell

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know, you can always just say "I'm not sure, I haven't thought of that" or "I don't have an answer" from the beginning, and not say something dumb like "maybe there doesn't need to be a reason, OK" when responding to a fair and basic criticism. Otherwise what are we even doing here?
Is it that much of a stretch to surmise that Cersei perceived herself to be in something of a Mexican standoff? For whatever reason, she felt that escolating warfare at that particular moment would have put herself at too great of a risk.

I presume most of these pre-battle meetups were not based purely upon honor, but with the understanding that if anyone tries something then nobody will survive due to snipers/archers/artillery.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I forgot about the caravan last season! Did that have any actual impact on Cersei and her strength? They had already gotten the gold in, correct?

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
I hate everything about the "Mad Queen" plot thread they're attempting here. Even with how ludicrously antagonizing Dany has been for the last 3 seasons these accusations seem outrageous. Especially so from her trusted (despite worthless) hand of the queen. Talking about her potential Mad Queen descend just due to her heritage feels uncharacteristic for supposedly logically thinking people like Tyrion and Varys. All about this feels forced.

On that note, it also becomes clearer by the minute that flying down to King's Landing and torching the Red Keep would've been the best choice. Cersei dead, people can focus on the NK and who cares about the population being a bit miffed. A year of good ruling and they'll be plenty happy.

But no, thanks god Dany avoided that terrible event! Who knows, dozens or a few hundred might have died! All this war, though, is just fine. Even now Tyrion and Varys are somehow shaking in their boots at the thought of Drogon... I don't even fucking know, going rogue and scorching all of King's Landing? At this point, Drogon flying anywhere close to King's Landing is no longer even an option, with all those physics-defying Ballistas.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
to be clear, I still don't Dany' in the wrong. just go for it.
It's not even crazy it's anger. I would be seething and rage fuelled if I was in her shoes, and I'm not crazy. Being angry and pissed off isn't being mad.

Besides sneaking in Arya, how do you do this right?

Do people even know what Aerys was doing? Burning castles is more like Aegon the Conqueror not Aerys "I slow dip people into vats of fire for shits and giggles".

Not liking slavery is one helluva good reason to take over cities. Y'all remember those walkways of punishment, crucified children, and the hands and feet of slaves being used as street signs right? This also why I laugh when people act like any of those masters deserved anything less than execution. A society that freely does shit like that is one where the overwhelming majority of the elites support and want it to happen. Fuck them. The mistake she made was not putting them all to death.
yeah. I don't even blame her for being mad. I would not hold it against her if she does burn down the red keep

and as someone else pointed out above; it's really not that much worse than starving them to death like Tyrion suggested

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017

Also- Cersei is well aware of the public relations game, here. She's actively trying to trigger Dany to get her to lash out and do something stupid.

And one more point- even if she had decided to gamble and it had gone her way, Jon's still marching south with the bulk of the forces. You're still going to have a war on your hands either way.

They just showed how easy it is for them to take out a dragon and they have significantly more time to aim the arrows at a stationary target. Once that dragon is dead, Dany is also dead because the handful of unsullied aren't going to do anything against the entire city.

As for some imagined PR fallout, the people don't give a shit. They were cheering her on against the foreign hordes. Do you think they care if Cersei made the first strike if meant wiping out them, even if it's against some "rules" of war? That anyone cares about tradition at this point is absurd frankly.

I get why they wanted the scene, they wanted the dramatic tension of Missandei's death and the face to face of Cersei vs Dany. At the very least if they wanted that, then don't have it at the gates of King's Landing where it makes no sense.

The Nightsky

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit at the negative reception. I liked the episode more than the previous one, which I thought was decent.
Really enjoyed this episode. Dany, for the first time in the series, is becoming interesting to me. Missandey and Grey Worm, for the first time in the series, evoked an emotional response from me. Sophie Turner, for maybe the first time, acted well enough to truly sell me on Sansa's character development.

Lots of strong scenes imo.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So we've entered the phase of every meme being reposted dozens of times
See ya next week for dorne and yara saving the day !

Status
Not open for further replies.