• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone! Correct me if I'm wrong or its been stated already, but didn't the bells mean waaaay different things in the past?? Like they rung the bells for Tywins death, they rung the bells to start the Battle of Blackwater, etc.

Davos even says in the Battle of Blackwater "I've never known bells to mean surrender" or something like that.

I'm lost and confused lol
Holy shit, you're right https://youtu.be/bJkg-p2K3eI?t=10

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Between Yunkai and Meereen, the Masters left a crucified slave child at every mile marker.

After Dany took Meereen she crucified the same number of Slave Masters.

Not at all the same thing.

Hey but the slavers were civilians though, and one of them said that he's dad wasn't ok with the plan to crucify children /s

If you're a slaver and your city just got taken over by a slavery hating individual, who marched a few hundred miles where every mile had a child crucified as a mile marker...

source.gif

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. In a medieval world where modern notions of criminal justice don't exist, I believe the best slaver is a dead slaver. Fuck them all.

Last edited:

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Dany always went full ruthless when she didnt get what she wanted. Now she's lost two dragons, a lot of her army, and technically her claim to the throne and is mentally strung out. She wanted a fight to the death for Kings Landing and didn't get what she wanted, her going crazy isn't a surprise to me.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey everyone! Correct me if I'm wrong or its been stated already, but didn't the bells mean waaaay different things in the past?? Like they rung the bells for Tywins death, they rung the bells to start the Battle of Blackwater, etc.

Davos even says in the Battle of Blackwater "I've never known bells to mean surrender" or something like that.

I'm lost and confused lol

You are right. The writers forgot what the fuck they established earlier. Bells meant death of a member of the noble family or that the city is under siege.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I've got no problem with the White Walker crisis ending early, Dany ending up the worst threat and Cersei getting a somewhat peaceful ending she doesn't deserve.

I think 'dying peacefully' usually means going in your sleep, not whimpering, afraid, and buried alive in a crypt lol

I thought Cersei's ending suited her. She has spent the entire show posing as some hardass mastermind. Her death was suitably pathetic for the kind of character she is.

I'm out of touch. Every episode this season I've watched so far I've enjoyed to varying degrees, I come online, and it's the worst shit ever and a complete disgrace to everything that came before it etc. Either I'm really easy to please when it comes to GoT, or I'm just too dumb to see all this horrible content. Either way I've gotten enjoyment out of this show for a long-ass time, so I'm satisfied. It sucks for others that feel so let down.

Nah, I'm with you. I enjoyed this episode. I've enjoyed this season. I've enjoyed basically every season, albeit to varying degrees. I almost never post in these threads though because they're always such a buzzkill haha. Oh well. I'm satisfied too.

Nov 3, 2017
I'm out of touch. Every episode this season I've watched so far I've enjoyed to varying degrees, I come online, and it's the worst shit ever and a complete disgrace to everything that came before it etc. Either I'm really easy to please when it comes to GoT, or I'm just too dumb to see all this horrible content. Either way I've gotten enjoyment out of this show for a long-ass time, so I'm satisfied. It sucks for others that feel so let down.

Varis chose to spread the word regarding Jon's claim to the throne over his own personal well being. He made it clear he wanted to do what's best for the realm and had obviously seen enough wrong in Dany to take that stand and pay with his life. He'd expressed regret about serving the wrong kind of ruler before, and he'd bought into Dany's proclamations of being different to the rest. He realized he was wrong and took a stand.

For me, Dany having this within her has been telegraphed for many seasons. She got her tactics right with the dragon after being taken by surprise in the last encounter, hence the "ease" in dealing with the Scorpions. She lost two of her children, found out she hasn't the true claim to the Iron Throne that's been her driving motivation for years, has been explicitly betrayed by the man she loves, as well as her closest advisers, lost multiple devoted people (including one in the nastiest way when Missandie was murdered in front of her), and felt backed into a corner and seeing fear as her only path.

Cersei was a monster, and died in fear in the knowledge of losing yet another child. She received momentary comfort with Jamie before dying in a place that made her say "not like this" just before hand. Besides, that moment was more about Jamie's redemption than any comfort for her, IMO. She wasn't a monster on the level of Joffrey or Ramsey, she didn't really need that vicious of a death. Arya getting the kill would've ran counter to the Hound's message to her regarding revenge. Perhaps Dany directly torching her would've been a way to go, but not with the direction her character took tonight.

Overall I thought it was a well done episode. It was nasty and brutal and the turn taken was as horrifyingly portrayed as it needed to be. I'm really looking forward to next week's finale.

Absolutely. I loved this episode so much.

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
So Jaime actually did go back to be with Cersei. Here I thought he was only giving off that impression so he could get close and kill her himself.

I guess once he learned her army ambushed Dany and killed a dragon he thought 'I'm getting the fuck out of Winterfell and on the winning side." What kind of random ass turn is that? Flushed most of the characters development down the drain for reasons.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When DND do something completely unexpected like Arya killing Night King: "subvert expectations" memes.

When things play out roughly how we all expected tonight: "lazy writing"

Y'all are clowns.
I feel like a lot of you are not actually comprehending the criticism. Both of those things were executed very poorly.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Dany turning mad was telegraphed seasons ago, but when it happened there was just a feeling of it not feeling earned to me. I think the whole relationship between Dany and Jon has felt that way, and it could be because of how they've had to rush things. I just never bought that Jon and/or Tyrion would trust Dany so unconditionally and devoutly, and not even be able to entertain the idea that she might be crazy and not fit to rule.

Tyrion I kind of disagree with because she took him when he was on his last leg and had nowhere else to turn. So I get him feeling like he needs to see that through.

Jon though I completely agree with. I don't buy him being so blindly loyal to her at this point.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017

Varis chose to spread the word regarding Jon's claim to the throne over his own personal well being. He made it clear he wanted to do what's best for the realm and had obviously seen enough wrong in Dany to take that stand and pay with his life. He'd expressed regret about serving the wrong kind of ruler before, and he'd bought into Dany's proclamations of being different to the rest. He realized he was wrong and took a stand.

For me, Dany having this within her has been telegraphed for many seasons. She got her tactics right with the dragon after being taken by surprise in the last encounter, hence the "ease" in dealing with the Scorpions. She lost two of her children, found out she hasn't the true claim to the Iron Throne that's been her driving motivation for years, has been explicitly betrayed by the man she loves, as well as her closest advisers, lost multiple devoted people (including one in the nastiest way when Missandie was murdered in front of her), and felt backed into a corner and seeing fear as her only path.

Cersei was a monster, and died in fear in the knowledge of losing yet another child. She received momentary comfort with Jamie before dying in a place that made her say "not like this" just before hand. Besides, that moment was more about Jamie's redemption than any comfort for her, IMO. She wasn't a monster on the level of Joffrey or Ramsey, she didn't really need that vicious of a death. Arya getting the kill would've ran counter to the Hound's message to her regarding revenge. Perhaps Dany directly torching her would've been a way to go, but not with the direction her character took tonight.

Overall I thought it was a well done episode. It was nasty and brutal and the turn taken was as horrifyingly portrayed as it needed to be. I'm really looking forward to next week's finale.
This thread has degenerated into this for the past few seasons. I do feel the show and the last two seasons have suffered from being rushed taking a lot of impact away from large moments but I have still enjoyed watching every week. I stopped subbing to this thread after last season and now come on for live reactions and duck out. I agree with all your points and really enjoyed the episode.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That wouldn't surprise me. I kinda expected it from the flip-a-coin Targ thing seasons ago. But doing it like this would be shit.

Tbf grrm has hundreds of pages to heel turn Dany and d&d have a few hours basically. They still could have executed it a lot better though. Like even just having the ballistas be a surprise at the KL siege with a dragon going down as the reason for Dany to snap would be better than, hey, KL surrendering, easy victory, but let's just have her burn everything anyway. And lots of issues with the set up beyond that going back this season and last too.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Another problem with this episode is the fact that Dany could have done the same thing at the beginning of season 7...
Yes but she was talked down by her advisors that she trusts. Each and every time she was on the verge of doing something terrible or evil her advisors tried to talk her down. Most times they succeeded.

Barriston, Jorah, and Missandei are all dead. Varys betrayed her. She doesn't trust Tyrion and Jon. She no longer had any advisors that she trusts to talk her off the ledge this time. So she did a double backflip off the cliff this time and completely snapped. It's been a something that has been slowly forshadowed for years.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Dany turning mad was telegraphed seasons ago, but when it happened there was just a feeling of it not feeling earned to me. I think the whole relationship between Dany and Jon has felt that way, and it could be because of how they've had to rush things. I just never bought that Jon and/or Tyrion would trust Dany so unconditionally and devoutly, and not even be able to entertain the idea that she might be crazy and not fit to rule.

Jon would do exactly that... Loyal to a fault, like his idiot father.

His adherence to his 'honor' led to the death of tens of thousands of people. Jon is a fucking idiot, and Ygritte was right: He doesn't know anything.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly since they fucked up everything now I hope Dany kills everyone in the next episode now

ESPECIALLY TYRION

They managed to make me HATE fucking Tyrion. He is probably now THE dumbest character in the show. THANKS D&D!

I hope he dies slowly and suffering a lot.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Another problem with this episode is the fact that Dany could have done the same thing at the beginning of season 7...
Walk through the list of events that has happened to Dany since she first arrived on the shores of Westeros.

I mean, I know they have to condense the story. But we have been paying attention to what we have seen, right?

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I was also anticipating this scene and disappointed that it didn't happen for real:

Arya is fleeing King's Landing. She finds herself in an open courtyard. On the other side is Jon Snow.

"Jon...!"

Jon Snow sees her and while dismayed to find her there, is glad to see her alive. He hesitates, begins to smile. Until he hears a cry of terror from above. He looks up to see Drogon silhouetted in the sky behind Arya.

"NO!"

Arya turns around just in time to see the flames. She is consumed utterly. Nothing is left but a burnt corpse.

*DUN* *DUN* *DUN*

Now Jon has that motivation to be the king. Now it's personal.

Anyway, I'm glad Arya lived through the episode after all.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So Jaime actually did go back to be with Cersei. Here I thought he was only giving off that impression so he could get close and kill her himself.

I guess once he learned her army ambushed Dany and killed a dragon he thought 'I'm getting the fuck out of Winterfell and on the winning side." What kind of random ass turn is that? Flushed most of the characters development down the drain for reasons.
Yeah, I'm hoping the adherence to the books here is "Jaime and Cersei die" or "Jaime and Cersei both die in King's Landing" and nothing like the way it played out.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
When DND do something completely unexpected like Arya killing Night King: "subvert expectations" memes.

When things play out roughly how we all expected tonight: "lazy writing"

Y'all are clowns.
That's not what lazy writing means.

Lazy writing is having inconsistent power levels on dragons or plot devices (one episode they can get eviscerated by a few Ballistas with precision, in the next episode they have trouble aiming at it). Essentially writing a plot device to be as powerful or weak as you need it to be regardless of consistency within the rules you created yourself.

Lazy writing is two character coincidentally appearing at the same exact spot at the same time for a supposed climactic showdown (Euron and Jaimie). This one is more plot contrivance but that falls into lazy writing as well.

Trying to illicit sympathy from the audience for Cersei in her last moments when you have spent 2-3 seasons building her up as an irredeemable monster is lazy writing.

2pac_71

Oct 25, 2017
If DnD were so proud of their writing and what they did with dany. Why not show any close ups of dany burning everyone. As soon as bells ring they never show dany ever again probably because they have no clue what Danys facial expression should be cause it's ridiculous

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Tbf grrm has hundreds of pages to heel turn Dany and d&d have a few hours basically. They still could have executed it a lot better though. Like even just having the ballistas be a surprise at the KL siege with a dragon going down as the reason for Dany to snap would be better than, hey, KL surrendering, easy victory, but let's just have her burn everything anyway. And lots of issues with the set up beyond that going back this season and last too.

HBO wanted more seasons out of D&D. It was D&D who decided the number of episodes they had were enough.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
I think 'dying peacefully' usually means going in your sleep, not whimpering, afraid, and buried alive in a crypt lol

I thought Cersei's ending suited her. She has spent the entire show posing as some hardass mastermind. Her death was suitably pathetic for the kind of character she is.

Nah, I'm with you. I enjoyed this episode. I've enjoyed this season. I've enjoyed basically every season, albeit to varying degrees. I almost never post in these threads though because they're always such a buzzkill haha. Oh well. I'm satisfied too.

I didn't say she died peacefully. But she was consoled and brought some peace by being in Jamie's arms at the end. That's not really the way one would expect her to go out.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This whole time, Cersei was actually the hero. She was doing everything she could to stop this horrific monster. She got one of her dragons killed. She diminished her armies, she shattered much of her fleet. She was out here saving the world from an unstable monster this whole time. What a fucking twist.
Just as she destroyed the crazy religious fanatics and the power hungry tyrells, Cersei has always been a hero

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dany always went full ruthless when she didnt get what she wanted. Now she's lost two dragons, a lot of her army, and technically her claim to the throne and is mentally strung out. She wanted a fight to the death for Kings Landing and didn't get what she wanted, her going crazy isn't a surprise to me.

Dany's never been shown to 'want a fight'. She'll bring a fight if pressed to or if it's needed, but not just "well tee hee, I won so I guess I'll go crazy now".

That's not been telegraphed by the show at all.

Even Lucas did a better job with Anakin Skywalker's turn.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Dany fans please respond if you're okay

Loved it. It's about time. Really getting tired of the "lets hold back" from the dragon queen ever since Olenna told her to go HAM and she started collecting L's by the dozen afterwards. I liked that she saw the bell and said "FUCK YOU ANYWAY".

Felt overdue and satisfying as fuck. Varis is gone, he admitted it and knew it was coming, and Cersei Jaime and Euron are dead. City in ruins, shitload of innocent deaths (it had to be done, a peaceful easy way out that allowed no casualties doesn't fit for me in this show personally) and some. The only thing I didn't like about this episode was the horse at the end for Arya.

Bring on the mad queen.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, and it seems the mad Dany thing will be happening in the books. The show just didn't earn her killing a bunch of innocent civilians after her enemies surrendered.
Dany also burned the Tarlys alive after they had already surrendered and she had won.

You don't necessarily have to like it but this stuff was all spelled out......just because there weren't instances of mass genocide before doesn't mean you couldn't see it coming.

Jan 2, 2018
Yes but she was talked down by her advisors that she trusts. Each and every time she was on the verge of doing something terrible or evil her advisors tried to talk her down. Most times they succeeded.

Barriston, Jorah, and Missandei are all dead. Varys betrayed her. She doesn't trust Tyrion and Jon. She no longer had any advisors that she trusts to talk her off the ledge this time. So she did a double backflip off the cliff this time and completely snapped. It's been a something that has been slowly forshadowed for years.

I know, but it's disappointing that the thing they could've done a long time ago (even without the burning, you know?) happended now. Was it worth the wait?

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
I like it. I bet the book plays the same way too except with more nuance.
The running theme in the book is that no one is innocent.. except maybe Ned. Jamie never had a redemption arc, he got a conscience and killed a dictator, that same person pushed a boy out a window, that same person would do it again today.

Status
Not open for further replies.