• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
GrCPFkr.png
NOOOOOOO LOLOLOLOLLLLL

Oct 26, 2017
I agree. All the characters, despite fooling themselves (and perhaps viewers and readers) otherwise, revert to type. Northern soldiers are not honourable; Danaerys was always a mad Targaryen; Tyrion was always a romantic idealist; Jaime was never going to abandon his sister etc, etc. Where is that GRRM quote about crushing readers souls? Lol.

I mean, didn't all these people just save the world four days ago.

Night King winning fits the series... This ending does not.

Bizazedo

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah but the books and even the earlier seasons of the show would have taken the time to properly set the table and earn what happened this episode. Because it would have been 10 episodes, not 6. And they would have actually cared about earning it.
It would've taken numerous seasons to do that and there's no way the actors / salaries / costs would've allowed it, sadly.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to say this and get absolutely fucking destroyed but I don't care:

-This is exactly in line with how the books will end
-The ending was always going to piss people off because it's making a very pointed message on the way we fantacize war and violence and only see the best in characters who are presented to us as 'heroes.'
-I think a lot of people fundamentally misunderstand Game of Thrones.

There are certainly issues with this season. But people saying there are hard character turns (Dany, Arya) or that Jaime's end didn't fit his character willfully ignored important facets if these characters.

Yeah, D&D.

You say, "only see the best in characters who are presented to us as 'heroes.'" You make some grand statement about how ASOIAF is making some stupid point about how there are no true heroes. Yet, the show portrays Jon Snow as the perfect bastion of Good whose never done nothing wrong never. Nope, it's the emotional dragon lady who thought she was a hero that is truly evil.

Maybe you should re-read the books. You think GRRM is going to have Jaime completely disregard his entire arc? You must be joking.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
I have a lot of feelings about that episode. I feel like they more or less did as well as they could with what the previous episodes had cornered them into. I really do find Arya and Jamie utterly baffling in this episode and it's a bummer watching Tyrion go against everything his character stands for and also now he's a damn narc on top of that.

The cinematography was absolutely stunning as usual and the actors perform there roles damn well but there's only so much "war is hell' cinema they can throw at us before it all washes off as the same. I'm sick of battle scenes, and that's a damn shame because when they were used sparingly there sure were a treat.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
This episode basically breaks established dragon lore/power levels, does it not? They breath fire, but the blasts aren't supposed to have such concussive force as to knock down castles and towers. Otherwise, why is Harrenhall still standing?
wasn't harrenhall built to stop a dragon attack?

even though they screwed up and they just burned on the inside

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Loved Qyburn getting tossed like a ragdoll

Sucks to follow those oldschool war rules, one of the few times you don't pull something totally dirty, eh Cersei lol. Don't mind that that came back to bite her.

It shouldn't have come back to bite her. If they were true to her character she would have just started laughing at the fact that Danny was stupid enough to come out to the front of Kings Landing with no protection, raised her arm and ordered a barrage of arrows to rain down her, with ballistas instantly killing her last dragon and a giant bolt taking Danny's head off and turning it into jello.

TheLucasLite

Aug 27, 2018
The Dany heel turn is the one completely earned character development in this season. If Dany not being the savior you thought she was is the reason you're upset at this episode, then lol.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
lol @ Dany's grand strategy for the ballistas was "just move out of the way, duh"

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Cleganebowl literally felt like it was there for fan fiction in the way it played out.

Sapochnik crafted some of the greatest looking TV scenes of all time but has to deal with these shit scripts

Oct 28, 2017
Not really. But this particular site is just getting frustrating. Hate watchers are everywhere. Taking over every freaking topic talking about how shit everything is to the point that it's not fun to discuss these things here anymore.

I would have defended the show devoutly up until this episode. So would my wife. I love summer blockbusters and other fun-first media. I thought this was terrible. So did my wife.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
wasn't harrenhall built to stop a dragon attack?

even though they screwed up and they just burned on the inside

No I think Harrenhal was the ultimate keep, built to withstand sieges and armies, but it was dragons they couldn't defend against. Dragonfire melts stone, that's well established.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People who think Dany massacring thousands of innocent civilians came out of nowhere obviously aren't paying attention because she killed two people that one time.
Have you only seen one episode of GoT?

You're just being willfully ignorant if you haven't seen the build up over time. We're talking several seasons here. People love to have their spicy hot takes though so whatever.

Lionel Mandrake

Prophetic Lionel Mandrake
Oct 26, 2017
Peoples hate boner on Era for this show is something else.
I think it's pretty much the whole fanbase. I'm a pretty casual watcher of the show, and I've also noticed a decline in quality, but it's not nearly at the level people are making it out to be. It's like if an Olympic gymnast did a really good, but far from amazing, floor routine then stumbled on their landing, and everyone in the audience started yelling as loud as they could "Did you see them fall flat on their face like 6 times?! I saw it! It definitely happened! What an idiot!"

The show's definitely not in its prime, but it was pretty flawed from the beginning. The ending is indeed rushed, but not to the insane degree people are making it out to be.

Again though, I'm a casual watcher. I might be more upset if I was really into it. I think the biggest issue this episode was Dany suddenly able to easily out maneuver every crossbow, despite them being depicted as the big obstacle that needed to be overcome in the last episode.

Jon knowing how "mad" dany was becoming thought it'd be a good idea to reject her?

She's his aunt. Dany wants to have sex with her nephew. Why is everybody acting like this was a simple rejection? Jon doesn't want to be in an incestuous relationship. Dany was already at the point of Lannister-grade crazy when she kept trying to win Jon over with sex despite knowing their relationship.

That's not to say that I'm fully on board with how they've handled her turn, but I don't know why people are ignoring that element.

Status
Not open for further replies.