• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
What annoys me is that the win doesnt feel earned. Throughout the whole ep they are just losing left and right, but then by complete chance, BAM there is Arya for whatever reason.

There was no master plan that led Arya there, they didn't plan for this and the execution of the scene looks like such an asspull that it leaves this conclusion feeling extremely underwhelming. From moment one they have been building up this confrontation, and the way it ends is just so bad.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Wights don't drop dead from weapons, cos they're already dead, that's the whole point of why you need to burn the corpses to destroy them. Even a severed arm was animated back in season 1. They retconned in obsidian killing wights last season, and all their weapons in this episode were made of that, so wights just drop dead with a quick stab.

How did they "die" in the books?

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
I know. I remember the scene. I always took that to mean that it didn't work BECAUSE of the chainmail. He made no contact with flesh because of the armor. If thats not the casse then I am looking forward to seeing how they nerf the wights in the books.

Same view. Book could easily go back and say it was the frozen chainmail that shattered it and Sam was mistaken. Probably will have to in fact.

It's not a retcon in the shows context - the show never showed Obsidian failing. It just never got used in the first place. Fist of North Men and Hardhome had obsidian weapons there, but no one attempted to use them (or were unable to). Once battle beyond the wall happened they established there that regular weapons were not useful against Wights (Hound smashing the one with Gendry's warhammer) and they battle with dragonglass only afterwards.

I didn't see any of the wights getting dusted by dragonglass. Only the WhiteWalkers. Otherwise it was just regular "deaths" by weapons.

The Unsullied all had obsidian tipped spears, everyone save the Dothraki had either Valyrian Steel or obsidian.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
They might have lost the blood magic spells. My theory is that Lightbringer is just a prophecy about Valyrian Swords in general and that they all combined fire and blood magic.

Yeah that sounds about right. Afterall the Targaryen's were not even special in Valyria. They were a minor house among among the Valyrian nobility if I remember right. So they might not have known the secrets of Valyrian Steel to begin with.

Also as a side not I have always loved that the Targaryens were nobody special when they lived in Valyria. It would have been so easy for GRRM to make them big time sombodies with a long history of exceptional deeds, but he didn't. They were nobody. I always loved that touch.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what the hell is the point of Bran becoming the 3ER? Was it just for him to tell people about Jon? I expected him to participate in SOMETHING, he was literally just bait for this battle. I expected him to mention something about the NK, or give some exposition when the NK was just staring him down for what felt like 20 minutes, but the NK was just going to kill him. What was the point of all the prophecies? Azor Ahai, The Prince that Was Promised, the whole story of the Last hero, it was all for nothing. The "Long Night" was just one regular ass night. The Great War people were preparing for ended in one night. The show spent two season telling everyone that who sits on the Iron Throne doesn't matter, titles don't matter, only the Great War matters. Well, the last 3 episodes will come down to titles and the Iron Throne. And that really, really sucks. Bran literally serves no purpose anymore, Jon devoted his life to this cause and did nothing. All of this so that Arya can roll a Nat 20 and sneak past everyone and kill the NK. It makes no sense and the show is just pure fan service now, it was expected after last season, but this was the last time you can feasibly think there will be some stakes, but nope! That whole 2nd episode feels so much more hollow now, because there are no real stakes. All these people got together because they thought they'd die, but really no one in that fire scene died. Sam spent the whole damn episode crying on top of dead people with wights on him and nothing happens. The show has become a joke, because this was the last great chance to have some stakes but the shows would rather create headlines with "shock". It's a buzzfeed article now.

I still enjoy the show, but I'm getting a sense that there's a good reason it's called "A Game of Thrones" instead of "A Song of Ice and Fire."

tsmike

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry that I can't join in the "more people should have died omg asspull" circlejerk, I thought it was pretty fucking great. Can't wait to see the rest of the season.

Deleted member 864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not very good at making gifs but here you go! Seriously this entire episode was full of visually stunning shots like this.
giphy.gif
By far one of my favorite parts of the episode.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't see any of the wights getting dusted by dragonglass. Only the WhiteWalkers. Otherwise it was just regular "deaths" by weapons.
The big X barrier thingys had dragonglass embedded in them. There was a shot or two of the wights running by and getting popped. Plus, Lyanna Mormont killing the giant that explodes into nothing.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you're nitpicking about medieval siege strategy against an undead army, you're the moron.
Imagine name calling others for using their brain for 2 seconds to point out a strange disconnect in logic....

And I agree with a lot of the critical response. The plot armor is getting ridiculous, the battle scenes were too dark, and the major threat ending so soon are real issues. But actual critics aren't nitpicking the way some of the people here are.
So youre retort is to use the most vacuous, empty argument/critique on the internet in calling everyone nerds and morons for not just shutting their brain off and enjoying something? I mean...ok.

Voyager

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only thing I'm disappointed in is the Azor Ahai prophecy. It went nowhere. I wish Jon would have become Azor Ahai and would have taken out a few of the Others, allowing Arya to deliver her death blow. Other than that, I loved it.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
They lived. That's fine. But make it believable. You're telling me it's believable that Samwell and a man with 1 hand survived being overrun by multiple wights when Dothraki blood riders didnt? Come on, the criticism is a bit more nuanced than what you're trying to pass off in this post as "subverting expectations".

Oh, I'm not saying some of the criticism isn't warranted or valid. However, there is a bit of irony there. That's all. I'm not that invested in all of this. I enjoyed the episode and look forward to seeing it all play out through the finale.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
The Unsullied all had obsidian tipped spears, everyone save the Dothraki had either Valyrian Steel or obsidian.

Yeah I know, I saw that all in Ep1&2. I was saying that I didn't think the dead had to be killed with dragonglass, just that they were prepared for anything. Considering they didn't know what was coming. But I guess that was the only way to kill them. They just don't get dusted like the WW's.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What annoys me is that the win doesnt feel earned. Throughout the whole ep they are just losing left and right, but then by complete chance, BAM there is Arya for whatever reason.

There was no master plan that led Arya there, they didn't plan for this and the execution of the scene looks like such an asspull that it leaves this conclusion feeling extremely underwhelming. From moment one they have been building up this confrontation, and the way it ends is just so bad.
this definitely felt like a Gandalf coming with the boys type of moment which happens pretty often in these big battles.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
The whole Dothraki horde vanished in a minute, a literal sea of undead washed over the Unsullied ranks and forced an almost immediate retreat. Yet the moment they entered Winterfell they switched to carboard weapons and started waiting in a line apparently. They tried to do a brutal, borderline hopeless fight where almost no one "important" dies and of course that disconnect is jarring as fuck.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
How did they "die" in the books?
Which? Wights are killed by burning the corpse. White Walkers die from being stabbed with dragonglass, and a book claims that dragonsteel (Valyrian steel) kills them, which hasn't been seen yet in the books but then again actual White Walkers have only appeared twice on page.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cool, now we're stuck with fucking Euron aka Ramsay 2.0 as one of the final villains. How original.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
The big X barrier thingys had dragonglass embedded in them. There was a shot or two of the wights running by and getting popped. Plus, Lyanna Mormont killing the giant that explodes into nothing.

Giant didn't explode. It just turned back into a skeleton. None of the wights were dusted that I saw, even on the barriers. I'll rewatch.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The subversion happens by setting up the White Walkers as if they're the larger, more important threat but having them destroyed before the Mortal threat. The expectation is that they're the "final boss" when they aren't. The true evil is still what it's always been. People.
It makes perfect sense that assassination would be the way to end the Night King.
It makes perfect sense that Arya would perform the assassination.

I think they utterly failed in the direction of those scenes though.

Agreed.

This was the culmination of Jon's arc, since season one... This is the entire reason his character exists.

I have no issue with Arya landing the killing blow at all, honestly. It just could have been handled much better. Jon should have died fighting the NK with Arya sneaking in and finishing him off. Is the only reason Jon exists now to create tension between him and Danerys? I fucking hope not, that would be really lame.

Oct 27, 2017
Yep.

A lot of people here seemed to just want some principle characters to die, regardless of how it effects the quality of the overall story. Ned dying served a major purpose in pushing the story forward. As did the Red Wedding. Martin has often said that his story is not nihilistic, and characters don't die just because. But I think a lot of the fanbase really crave that. It's odd.

agree 1000% its all this fucking show was the first few seasons... it was literally "SHIT ON THE STARKS" the show... and now people just want everyone dead for some reason... Im fine with the ones that did die this episode.. doesnt mean some still wont because they will.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
The whole Dothraki horde vanished in a minute, a literal sea of undead washed over the Unsullied ranks and forced an almost immediate retreat. Yet the moment they entered Winterfell they switched to carboard weapons and started waiting in a line apparently. They tried to do a brutal, borderline hopeless fight where almost no one "important" dies and of course that disconnect is jarring as fuck.
Jorah and Theon were important characters in the narrative.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed.

This was the culmination of Jon's arc, since season one... This is the entire reason his character exists.

I have no issue with Arya landing the killing blow at all, honestly. It just could have been handled much better. Jon should have died fighting the NK with Arya sneaking in and finishing him off. Is the only reason Jon exists now to create tension between him and Danerys? I fucking hope not, that would be really lame.
his character exists to be the king dude

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Me watching last night's episode: This is impossible! The zombie horde isn't even the real enemy and they're unstoppable! Everyone is screwed!

Game of Thrones creators: *Kills just five characters*

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Which? Wights are killed by burning the corpse. White Walkers die from being stabbed with dragonglass, and a book claims that dragonsteel (Valyrian steel) kills them, which hasn't been seen yet in the books but then again actual White Walkers have only appeared twice on page.

so in the books when they fight them, they....... throw fire on them? or they don't fight them since Martin didn't write this far?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Did anyone else think that Arya died when she walked around the corner and all you heard was a stabbing sound before it focused on showing that she stabbed the wight in the chin?

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
But we're supposed to buy that she gained the ability to do so after seeing nothing but her shortcomings and inabilities.

How about the scenes where she barely escapes 6 wights with her life (and struggles mightly to do so), but somehow sneaks past thousands of them, multiple white walkers, and surprises the Night King.

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Cool, now we're stuck with fucking Euron aka Ramsay 2.0 as one of the final villains. How original.

If Euron/Cersei die next episode and 5/6 is Jon v. Dany, I will forgive them for wrapping up the NK plotline so quickly. At least those are two characters I have stakes in caring who wins.

Viva

Nov 1, 2017
They had no idea what formation or tactics the NK was gonna use.

And it was the first time they saw dead in numbers so high the behaved more like a tidal wave of bones and knives than just zombies here and there. I think they were caught pretty off guard by the sheer numbers.
Just use half of them then?

Vanguard/what the Dothraki do etc...these are all ways of dressing up what was a stupid stupid tactical choice designed to 1) give us an amazing visual 2) grow the tension 3) get rid of the Dothraki

I'm okay with it because in the grand scheme of things the Dothraki are not important. They had to go and the pay off from 1/2 was worth it.

Same not true of the way other characters were handled.

Bitmap Frogs

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
I am disappointed that the greatest threat to humanity was dispatched like that.

I am disappointed that nothing mistical happened, the prophecies irrelevant.

Bah.

Status
Not open for further replies.