• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Straight up. If you liked this episode great. I really hope I don't damper your enjoyment. I just didn't like some of it and I'm going to leave it at that.
That's the problem with this thread and a bunch of what I've been seeing around the Internet.

The people who don't like it trash the show, then fans take it personally and go ad hominem

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing really. I just shipped them lol. Especially since they seemed to have become good friends since her escape from Winterfell few seasons ago and his return last episode.

You need to continue the bloodline though.

sausage-1433860124.gif

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Arya killing the NK the way she did shouldn't be the issue people have, it's when in the story she did it. You can't have THE FIRST PLOT line of the show, the driving force of many storylines, the biggest threat build up for the entire show, end at the first battle they have. What did the dead army accomplish, they reached the first big city past the wall, they couldn't even take that. Stannis had better success as a leader of an army.

No one of significance died, no characters had any impact, no sacrifices were made, no impact was felt. You can't build up the big unstoppable creature and then kill him before he does anything of significance.

When a show leaves you questioning what was the point of a storyline 8 years in the making something went wrong in the writing.

Salsanta1373

Apr 6, 2019
How hard is it for you to see that once the "ULTIMATE" threat that's alluded to in the first chapter of A Game of Thrones is defeated, there is STILL A THREAT. That's the fucking game of thrones. Cersei is more powerful now than she has ever been and she lost NOTHING, Jon and Dany lost almost everything.

Did you really think it's going to be peace and happiness when the big bad white walkers are destroyed?

There's only 3 hours left of the series, bozo. Think of it as an epilogue.
This doesnt feel like a epilogue. It feels like work or DLC for the true ending, pls watch. It gave the story about the human spirt and outlived its welcome for a few gotcha moments about pointless politics. Reply to others who care to make argument with you. Stay mad bozo.

smellyjelly

Avenger
Aug 2, 2018
I'm getting a feeling that this episode is a major redherring and there's gonna be a majority of fan favorites straight up massacred by cersei

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit the guy who wrote is an actual moron.

He talks about how Jon running into the Dragon Fire and stabbing the Night King would have been an awesome way of proving to Dany he is a true Targaryen.

How the fuck do you let someone who know literally nothing about the show or it's history write reviews for the show? Gamespot is a joke lol
Even better, he had read one too many fan theories and thought the dead breaking into the crypt were the resurrected corpses of the Starks.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
The fuck...was Arya waiting in the tree or something? It came out of nowhere.

Stupid Star Wars Ep. 1 blow up the mothership and the army dies logic too. smh

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even Reddit fan fiction is less dumb than what we got. Heck, Reddit fan fiction is quite superior to this crap. Never thought D&D would've manage to outdo them.
Are you kidding? You really think Arya putting on a Bran mask and killing the night king would have been better?

I'm done with this thread. I'm genuinely confused by the idiocy.

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
So he was bait. Cool. Then what was the plan to kill the night king then? Bait him to Bran then.... hope one of the 6 iron born catches him with an arrow? Cause it came down to 💯 rando luck. It was just nonsense.

It was literally spelled out in the previous episode. Dany/Jon were supposed to wait near-ish by with their dragons so they could swoop in and try to kill the NK when he took the bait. But Dany lost her nerve when the Dothraki got rolled and charged onto the field, so Jon followed suit, and shit broke down from there.

Oct 27, 2017
Wow. For all the hype leading up to this episode, it delivered, and then some.

My heart was racing for the entire hour and twenty minutes. Everything; the cinematography, the introspective character moments, the battle scenes, direction, the music... just a masterclass in television. Miguel Sapochnik never, ever, ever disappoints. Holy fucking shit.

Arya's scenes in this episode were simply superb. The chase through the corridors was gripping and segued into the 2nd part of the battle perfectly. HBO has a way of nailing atmospheric tension like nobody else can. My mind hadn't even considered the possibility of her being the one to end the Night King. A credit to the writers for making something that could have been an "of course" moment come completely out of left field even having seen her leave the room with The Hound and Melisandre moments before.

Dragons! I was pleased to see the blizzard act as somewhat of a neutralizing effect on Drogon and Rhaegal. The mid-air battle scene we got though... damn. In all of it, I somehow lost track of how/what happened to Rhaegal. I know he and Viserion had each other in their jaws and were clawing at each other but Rhaegal just sort of disappeared after Dany came in and knocked the Night King off of Viserion. I assumed he was dead but the preview of the next episode shows him still alive and an off-screen death for an important part of the show would have been weird I guess.

I had a feeling Jorah was going to meet his end and am glad he got to die defending Dany and protecting her right until the very end. He's had one of the more understated but important character arcs throughout the show.

Lyanna Mormont, what a boss. Don't know where HBO finds these child actors but damn if she didn't steal every scene she was in. Hell of a way to go out.

Ditto for Theon. With his arc having come full circle I had a feeling that Winterfell seemed the perfect place for his story to end.

So by my count we lost Jorah, Lyanna, Edd, Beric, Theon, Melisandre and maybe Ghost?

Going to be interesting to see what the play is now with the entire fighting force of Dothraki and Unsullied nearly wiped out.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I'm really, really tired of people trying to pass off people who care about a show/story/book as "people just want to hate it"

I, and many other people, actually give a shit about the story. I would say people who criticize something are more invested in the story and have more emotional input because they want proper payoffs to story lines and characters.

Complaining about people pointing out poor writing, story telling, conclusions to stories that don't fit with what was presented, is just being lazy and annoying.

I want Game of Thrones to be the best it can and should have been, but it's not. I think there are tons of ways they could have showed and had this battle play out that would have been more narratively cohesive with the seasons of build up presented. Lots of people do.

Did you not see the jif where Arya switched her blade from one hand to the other in order to draw in sparing vs Brienne in what was the culmination of her being the worlds shittiest assassin trainee for a few scenes? Clearly that's more significant than seasons of building up the Night King, White Walkers, The Long Winter, The 3 Eyed Raven, The Children of the Forest, The Army of the Dead, The Old Gods, Green Seers, The Reeds, Azor Ahai, and The Night's Watch!

S I C K O

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Bran didn't forgive Theon and essentially murdered him.

Could've just waited 2 mins for the Arya Halo sword strike.

But Theon always was a prick and I never felt sorry for him so I'm happy he went out like a Muppet.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's hilarious that I've hated this show for years for its terrible fan fiction writing, got flamed repeatedly last week for pointing it out, and it only took a week for a majority of the thread to turn on it. I probably liked the episode better than most of the "haters", since the only good thing GoT does now is brainless effects.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Moment's of that episode were great and iconic and beautiful no doubt, but I also could not tell what the fuck was going on for a good 1/3 of it and the dragon battles in the sky were just a bunch of mush.

Helm's Deep is still the GOAT for that kind of battle.

SneakyBadger

Oct 26, 2017
That looked great, but was super underwhelming. The episode was tense as fuck, but the end felt cheap because of how fast all this happened.

They should of stretched it out like they did the Dominion War in Deep Space 9. This felt like it was all buildup for 98% of the series to a one battle resolution.
Yup it had some cool moments but it's further proof of how bad the writing in the show has become. Also the battle was unnecessarily long. They're trying to make it feel epic but it became monotonous at a certain point.

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
Gamespot, and those people wanting Arya to have worn Bran's face, you do understand she take the faces off a corpse, yes? You really wanted Bran to die (presumably killed by his sister, the Faceless Man), just so Arya could have a rerun of how she killed Walder Frey?

stillwrapped

Banned
Aug 15, 2018
??
I'm iffy about that episode. Is it just me, or did Arya become the best fighter on the show now? Like not even Jon or Brienne can fuck with her. I thought they had a better plan to draw out the NK than what they actually did. I certainly hope Arya is the one that kills Cersei if it's not one of the Lannister men. I also felt like a lot of the action was either too dark, or too unfocused to really make out what was going on.

The only characters who died this episode that I'm going to miss is Ser Jonah. He and Ser Bronn have been my favorites since the beginning. But I thought a few more of the main characters would die off with only 3 episodes left.
Jamie is going to kill Cercei. Come on now

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Great I liked it. Im glad Arya was the one to do it. We knew the NK had to be killed to stop the army, so that was inevitable. I thought it was going to be Jon or Dany though. I loved that it ended up being Arya. And damn, time flew by on that.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
It's hilarious that I've hated this show for years for its terrible fan fiction writing, got flamed repeatedly last week for pointing it out, and it only took a week for a majority of the thread to turn on it. I probably liked the episode better than most of the "haters", since the only good thing GoT does now is brainless effects.
"Majority of the thread" yeah okay champ lol

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
Did you not see the jif where Arya switched her blade from one hand to the other in order to draw in sparing vs Brienne in what was the culmination of her being the worlds shittiest assassin trainee for a few scenes? Clearly that's more significant than seasons of building up the Night King, White Walkers, The Long Winter, The 3 Eyed Raven, The Children of the Forest, The Army of the Dead, The Old Gods, Green Seers, The Reeds, Azor Ahai, and The Night's Watch!
True! Also because it subverted expectations it is automatically good and immune to criticism

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I thought Bran was going to pull off some Gandalf-type save and summon some eagles or something. What was the point of him just looking around with his special sight?

Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (2 Days): Antagonizing Other Users Over a Series of Posts; History of Similar Behavior
This doesnt feel like a epilogue. It feels like work or DLC for the true ending, pls watch. It gave the story about the human spirt and outlived its welcome for a few gotcha moments about pointless politics. Reply to others who care to make argument with you. Stay mad bozo.
Salsanta stays clownin'
Call that bitch Bozo

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Because this isn't a hive mind. Getting real tired of people acting as if any criticism towards this show is hating for the sake of hating.
Eh, I think I'm talking about attitudes toward all media in general. Always feels like people would rather shit on stuff as their base opinion. Like, unless things are unequivocally a masterpiece then they are seen as absolute shit. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion of course, but man it feels like people instinctively want to hate stuff. I'm not saying the show doesn't have issues, but it's still stupid fun to watch.

Then again I know it's an IP with a lot of clout and fans that were around long before the show so I suppose it's to be expected. Still though, this season so far has been far better than the show was 2-3 seasons ago.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Essos Dany and her companions on that side of the world were the best. Kind of wish she stayed over there, she doesn't need Westeros.
Dany staying in Essos means Westeros is overrun by the White Walkers. There's no ifs or buts about it.

Also, people that think Arya can just roll into KL and murder Cersei forget that she has to go through the Mountain. The mountain isn't going to shatter when you pop him in the stomach with a dagger. Play that same scenario but change the NK to the Mountain, and he crushes her neck even while she continuously stabs him in the gut.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
God, that Gamespot review is embarrassing. Almost at Chris Struckman BvS rewrite levels. Just because the episode didn't deliver the fan service moments and payoffs imagined in your head doesn't make it shit or poorly written.

There's more to the medium than writing anyway. This episode was about presenting itself as a beautiful nightmare and it pulled it off in spades.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Man, I expected a lot more deaths, was totally expecting another Red Wedding type episode with like half of the major characters biting the dust. Did not expect so many people to survive, I mean we lost literally no one from the main cast aside from Theon. It was mainly the side characters that died and even just a few of them.

I take it the whole Jon = Azor Ahai is out the window now.

It's kind of disappointing that it ended like this as far as the NK goes imo, I mean what's left now? Cersei? She's evil but not nearly as threatening as the NK and after that with everyone united? I don't see her standing a chance.

There's probably some twist up their sleeve somewhere.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad I didn't watch along with the thread. So much negativity would have put a damper on what was a very enjoyable and tense episode.

My biggest complaint (aside from no one burning the bodies in the crypts before sending everyone down there) was that Ghost, if he is in fact dead, had an ignoble death offscreen.

Arya being the one who killed the NK was a great way of subverting expectations, and the dagger drop move from her practice with Brienne coming back was pretty neat. I do kind of wish there was more one on one combat between the NK and whoever. I was also really hoping Bran would have warged into one of the dragons to help in the battle so he didn't look so useless.

Kind of weird seeing people complain that Arya, who spent a good chunk of the episode slipping past the dead unnoticed, could have slipped past the NK's generals unnoticed.

Hats off to the fallen and on to next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.