• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
I am with some of you about the NK though, not on how he died. I couldn't care less about that. I wanted to hear more about his story. Why was he doing this? Why is he so fixated on killing the Three Eyed Raven? I wasn't satisfied with Bran's explanation at all.

Hearing more from the NK's perspective would have been nice, but that's probably going to be properly explained in the books when they come out (lol). Doubt they'll bring that stuff up with just three episodes left.

They said it last episode. The 3 Eyed Raven holds the memories of the world and the Night King wants to destroy everything.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
People understand the conversation

That doesn't make the final scene not stupid and the entire set up of the last 4 seasons with Bran and his time travel bullshit feel worthless.

This is either a fake out, or they scrapped practically everything from the last few seasons of development and foreshadowing.
I think the problem is that they took too many book plot lines and mixed them with TV stuff

jpv_13

Oct 30, 2017
So it is like The Last Jedi.

It's like people are mad because unrealistic expectations weren't met and now are just spilling toxic opinions without really thinking things through.

Yup. Most of the negative comments around this episode, End Game, and TLJ have to do with the plot not going the direction that people had already planned out in their head.

Biggest complaint I would have is to do with the lighting of the episode, but that may have just been crap compression from my cable provider too.

Frankish

Oct 25, 2017
USA
That was an absolutely amazing 80 minutes of television. Some of the plot choices were questionable but it was just incredibly engrossing and riveting.

This is why I love this show even as a book reader. I got chills at the end.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Theon should've had an extra dragon glass dagger and stabbed the NK in the toe as he walked by.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
they literally talked about politics in this episode and talked about it so much in the first two that people complained about it

the zombies are the B story

Pretending to talk about politics =/ "Complex politics"

Except that it didn't all happen in just this one episode. The White Walkers and zombie hoards have been rolling peeps for many seasons. This is the only time enough humans actually banded together to face them so to me it makes sense they won this time.

Besides I'd say the White Walkers and prophecy shit has never been the interesting part of the show. All the big memorable moments the series is known for that people are always talking about have been during the human conflict, dangerous political chess, and fighting for the throne.

Years after this series is over people will still be talking about that stuff and will easily forget these magical prophecies and battles against CGI zombies hoards.

Now we can get back to the good stuff, the fight over who gets to sit on the throne.

Bro, during The Long Night all of humanity around the world banded together. This time a couple of mooks banded together at one place to fight one army in one fight, the first fight and the last fight.

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
After this episode, anyone who thinks this series is going to end any other way than with the defeat of Cersei and the peaceful, happy rule of the Dragon King and Queen surrounded by all their smiling friends is kidding themselves.
Should I be rooting for Cersei for some reason? Who cares if she finally gets what's coming to her

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

SpookyLettuce

May 26, 2018
I also had zero issues watching this on my TV. Like yes it was dark, but I could make out who was who for the most part. The lighting coming from the flames was gorgeous.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
well it will be 3 book
Cersei won't even survive winds and young griff will be the villian for the 2nd act for dany along with euron so that will be massively diffrent

And the books won't be finished so that is sad

also justice league is a bad movie

And it would still be bad with Snyder

so yeah this episode is as bad as that and bvs
You're going to be one of those book purists who will be raging at the writer whose going to replace GRRIM to finish the books when he meets his fate.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Others have. Some mirror my snooty ass comment.

I'm a picky bastard. Trust me. It looked more than solid on my TV via Chromecast. Like a 1080p Netflix stream, with maybe a touch more compression.

If you watched via browser, it's gonna look like trash though.

Ps4 HBO now app. Has never looked good on my tv(s) or friends.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Others have. Some mirror my snooty ass comment.

I'm a picky bastard. Trust me. It looked more than solid on my TV via Chromecast. Like a 1080p Netflix stream, with maybe a touch more compression.

If you watched via browser, it's gonna look like trash though.
I watched on a professionally calibrated OLED and it looked like shit. Prime Video on an Apple TV 4K. Really, really bad quality.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Bran absolutely provided no support. Why the fck did he warg into those crows btw? Just for fun? The scripts of this episode are goddamn bad imo. I know having Arya kill the Night King is cool and all but there are my other better ways this episode could end. This is just a boring, generic "good guy won!" victory.

I mean, after all the shit these characters have been through it's good for them to get such a big win

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
D&d know how the series is supposed to end. That doesn'tmean their story will be the same.
We have no idea what they know except that they have some form of an ending that Martin is striving towards. We do know that Martin can't finish his penultimate book and that the central antagonist of this series is an invention of the showrunners. The Night King does not exist in Martin's books. D&D made him up so they could end the White Walkers.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
God damn some of you guys are impossible to please.

A show about many things, primarily a war between humans for the Iron Throne, is about to wrap up with a war between humans for the Iron Throne.

I don't know if people are just nihilists, but what did you expect to happen? The Night King wins? He was going to lose at some point. Did that point have to be the very last episode of the series? Not necessarily. I mean, sure, he could have, but they chose to do it mid season. So that the remaining three episodes can focus on the human war that got many people into this series in the first place. The fantasy and white walkers and dragons were always a part of the series, yes, but the human conflict is what sucked a lot of people in. I think it's fitting that the ending of show is focusing on the human conflict.

This episode was pretty good. I loved it. The tension was palpable, and that feeling of uncertainty and inevitability was really well done. There were many, many moments where I just had no idea where it was going. That feeling of the protagonists being in mortal peril was excellent. I didn't expect so many characters to live, but the deaths were still poignant and powerful. Especially Lyanna's. That got me right in the gut.

And Arya offing the Night King seems super fitting and appropriate for her character arc. I thought she was toast for a moment there, but I admit I cheered when she pulled off the clutch win. I'm excited to see how things wrap up. I wouldn't be surprised if the books have a similar outcome. Obviously it won't be exactly like the show, but I do think Martin told them how it was going to go down in some fashion.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
After this episode, anyone who thinks this series is going to end any other way than with the defeat of Cersei and the peaceful, happy rule of the Dragon King and Queen surrounded by all their smiling friends is kidding themselves.
After this episode anything can happen. If you told anyone that NK is killed by Arya you would be laughed on.

Also given how Dany was treating Jon this episode i'm willing to believe she will go full Mad Targaryen mode in these final episodes.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
There was a lot to like about it:

Production was off the charts for a TV show
Dragons in the sky
Night King raising the dead in front of Jon
The music

But... what a lot of people didn't like was how the Night King and the White Walkers were dealt with after so much buildup. It's a disappointment, honestly.
The strategy presented in the show was always, "Kill the Night King, and the rest of his army will fall." What exactly did you expect? Were some just hoping for an epic fight between the Night King and Jon Snow, or just for everyone to die because everyone seems to associate Game of Thrones with a weird nihilism after the Red Wedding?

Last edited:

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I will say the second above in the clouds with the dragons looked absolutely beautiful and so did the riders heading toward the night army

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
well that was interesting, i kinda had a sense it was going to be arya, because jon was always too obvious, but i thought it would be more of a fight after all the build up of the NK.

That said, this whole episode was one long red wedding, i was starting to feel sick 10 minutes in because it was looking hopeless and i thought they were going to kill like half of the characters and then retreat. insane episode, and definitely stands up there with one of the great battle sequences, no way they can top this shit with cersei, so itll be interesting to see how they end it all.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretending to talk about politics =/ "Complex politics"
I mean the show is dumb what do you want from me

they can't stray from the book ending tho and you know the white walkers will be gone by the end of book 6 (because they're a side show)

everyones always like "enough of all this other stuff get back to the white walkers they're the important part" for 8 years because they cant take a hint

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Poor Dothraki.

Some of the most stupid battle tactics I've ever seen in any media.

Also that ending was fucking comical.

3 more till this is all over. Thank god.
Calvary's gonna be largely ineffective against an enemy whose main method of attack is dogpiling. What're ya gonna do, break their ranks?

Oct 27, 2017
Listen, Arya killing the NK is dumb as fuck. But, I'm not even mad at that. It's better than Savior Jon Snow killing him in some cliche' epic duel. It's the simple fact that this might be all there is. THIS IS IT. SEVEN FUCKING YEARS OF BUILD UP. Prophecy after prophecy. Sacrifice after Sacrifice. The fucking Long Night that lasted a hundred to a thousand years. Hyrkoon the Hero. Azor Ahai. The Last Hero and his 12 companions with the Children of the Forest. Bryden Rivers going North of the Wall and becoming the 3ER. Bran becoming the 3ER. Hodor time warging. Jon dying and coming back. Stannis burning folks. Beric Dondarrion resurrected half a dozen times. Dragons returning to the world. The House of the Undying. Dany's unborn child dying.

EVERYTHING. ALL OF THAT. PLUS MORE.

That just led to an episode just over an hour long that was a standard battle which ended with Arya Stark stabbing the evil bad guy that never talks who then explodes his entire army with him. Also, all of our favorite characters are alive.

FUCK YOU, I don't believe it, there has to be more.
there is 3 more episodes... wat you mean..

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think the problem is that they took too many book plot lines and mixed them with TV stuff

There are plenty of TV show plot lines from Bran that have seemingly been dropped and left aside for this conclusion to The Night King.

I haven't even read the books, and I feel completely robbed of the mystery and set up of the 3ER and the fact Bran has the capacity to not only time travel and view the past directly, but interact with the past and cause bootstrap paradoxes

This has never been used or mentioned since Hordor

Waffles

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I can accept that the show made the WW story out to be the B story. But when you literally start your show off with this storyline, end most of the seasons with it, and devote hours to it, I think it needs more meat and motivation to it.

Oct 17, 2018
*NK gets killed by the character who has literally been training as a stealth assassin for the majority of the show, and has more on-screen training than pretty much any other character*

"What a jobber, makes no sense"
Because it is bs lmao. You're telling me, someone can train as a Faceless Person for 1 or 2 years, then go and kill this godly entity that has been around for 8000 years or whatever.

Nah.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So was this episode untenably dark, muddy, and incomprehensible for everyone else as well? I feel like you could have skipped the first 45 minutes and missed nothing. Maybe it was the TV or atmosphere where I watched it, but damn the whole thing is a major disappointment after how sublime Battle of the Bastards was.

Status
Not open for further replies.