• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Slightly unrelated question. My landlord recently canceled HBO so I'm not able to watch anymore. Does HBO Now allow you to stream the show live as it's airing? I Google'd and I have found conflicting answers.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
Slightly unrelated question. My landlord recently canceled HBO so I'm not able to watch anymore. Does HBO Now allow you to stream the show live as it's airing? I Google'd and I have found conflicting answers.
It goes up on HBO Now/Go at the same time as the show starts, on the Hour (9 PM EST)

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I think some of the character's Daeny has "forgiven" to prove her mercy including Varys are there to exist to create tension surrounding a possible heel turn for Daeny. Like if she does become "mad queen"-ish (well, again, as she kind of has a few times) she's surrounded by people she could un-forgive and punish harshly.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You know, I'm wondering if next episode Qyburn's necromatic experiments come up. Like, if the night king goes down to kings landing will The Mountain and god knows whatever other experiments Qyburn has slapped together in his lab will just switch to the Night King's side, causing a zombie outbreak. If only The Mountain was the younger brother I'd assume that he'd be the one to kill Cersi.

Also, I'm thinking Cersi's prophecy of a "younger, prettier queen" coming after her means that Dany is gonna have the iron throne. Or we get a curveball and Sansa is last woman standing.

Also pissed at how under-ultilized Varys is. Like, there were a ton of scenes he'd be perfect for last episode.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
everytime I see varys on screen I get sad. what a wasted character
Lol, I forgot he still exists.
I don't even know why he's still alive
Same. He's one of my favorite characters in the books. I can't believe they just...didn't know what to do with him. Ah well.
Taking away a certain book twist didn't help

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
You know, I'm wondering if next episode Qyburn's necromatic experiments come up. Like, if the night king goes down to kings landing will The Mountain and god knows whatever other experiments Qyburn has slapped together in his lab will just switch to the Night King's side, causing a zombie outbreak. If only The Mountain was the younger brother I'd assume that he'd be the one to kill Cersi.

Also, I'm thinking Cersi's prophecy of a "younger, prettier queen" coming after her means that Dany is gonna have the iron throne. Or we get a curveball and Sansa is last woman standing.

Also pissed at how under-ultilized Varys is. Like, there were a ton of scenes he'd be perfect for last episode.
Thrones is secretly a JRPG and Qyburn is the final boss who reveals himself after the NK is dead and he steals his necromantic powers.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
What if the twist is that they destroy the Night King and it doesn't destroy all the rest of the whitewalkers?

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Yay new bingemode is out
I like them, but they never have anything critical to say.
It's all fangushing
I just gave their Season 8 episode 1 episode a listen, and it sounds like two people doing slam poetry and screaming/laughing at each other. The pacing of their "conversation" and the way it's edited gives me anxiety. And it also seems to just be the most basic of commentary like shira said.

Maybe I need to start from the beginning to get a feel for their tone and rapport with each other. It felt like I was listening to two twins speaking their made up language to each other

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just gave their Season 8 episode 1 episode a listen, and it sounds like two people doing slam poetry and screaming/laughing at each other. The pacing of their "conversation" and the way it's edited gives me anxiety. And it also seems to just be the most basic of commentary like shira said.

Maybe I need to start from the beginning to get a feel for their tone and rapport with each other. It felt like I was listening to two twins speaking their made up language to each other
They kinda workshopped what worked over the first 67 episodes so it's a lot of year old in-jokes and skits.

HBO invested in their company so they kinda get the inside scoop.

I mean if anything they are enthusiastic

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
In hindsight, D & D should never have adapted Varys. Without "Aegon" or Illyrio, he's at the levels of Bronn. He's good for other characters to bounce off of but he doesn't have a real story.

But this is not in the books is it? I'm rereading them and maybe i just haven't gotten around to it yet, but i'm pretty sure it's still very open to interpretation. And the backstory we have seems to indicate there's more to it?

Still open to interpretation. I'm only saying what I think and am confident in it but there's a chance that GRRM throws a curveball and you're more on the money than me.

The magic doesn't work like that or the White Walkers would be able to convert Benjen, Jon and Beric to his side.

The wights are animated by ice magic.

Jon and Beric are animated by fire magic.

And the Mountain is walking and moving around because of blood magic.

They're different power sources.

The White Walkers would have to kill them again to raise them back as wights.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017

I've listened to their entire Binge Mode GoT series and it's definitely not true. They absolutely do not give the most basic commentary. Both have extensive knowledge from the books and are well read on a lot of the various theories born about on Westeros.org and what not. They can sometimes be a bit annoying when they go a bit over the top with the cheering and yelling but they are good.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, there's like 70 episodes of bonding there. They are also in the endgame now; lots of inside jokes and references.

I appreciate their knowledge and deep love of the characters as a whole, with a combination of book and TV knowledge. They aren't overly cynical or trying to be edgy and contrarian or bitter at the books being outpaced or over how popular the show is. They genuinely love the work and GoT worlds and will be critical as well, as they (like most of us) saw a lot of flaws in S7.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah you're right, Stephen King has no idea what he's talking about.
That's a little reductive. They could all have that goal, but if the characters aren't in a position to get themselves together it doesn't matter.

I'm being very petty, and I actually do love how they've handled this season so far, but I'm still disappointed that so much of what made the show interesting was swept away to focus on surviving a brainless horde. I have no attachment to either Jon or Dany, and the only two places that seemingly matter anymore are King's Landing and Winterfell. The narrative has narrowed tremendously in service of the plot elements that interest me the least.

But I'm still legit optimistic D&D will stick the landing.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Calling it now: Varys has no cock because he's three Children of the Forest wearing a skin overcoat. There's your twist, fuckers.

latest

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I also wonder if there's a single Valyrian Steel or dragonglass weapon in all of King's Landing atm.

The magic doesn't work like that or the White Walkers would be able to convert Benjen, Jon and Beric to his side.

The wights are animated by ice magic.

Jon and Beric are animated by fire magic.

And the Mountain is walking and moving around because of blood magic.

They're different power sources.

The White Walkers would have to kill them again to raise them back as wights.
Does D&D know this? Either way, the Mountain strikes me as more of a zombie, while Jon and Beric strike me as more actually fully revived.

devilhawk

Oct 27, 2017
In hindsight, D & D should never have adapted Varys. Without "Aegon" or Illyrio, he's at the levels of Bronn. He's good for other characters to bounce off of but he doesn't have a real story.
Agreed. No FAegon makes his scenes in Season 1 confusing as hell. Or at the least, he could have broke out Tyrion and stayed in KL. Or they need a better payoff scene with Dany and Varys about why his grand plans involved selling her to a warlord or if him and Illyrio were honestly relying on Dany's brother to take the throne - which seems incredibly unlikely.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm being very petty, and I actually do love how they've handled this season so far, but I'm still disappointed that so much of what made the show interesting was swept away to focus on surviving a brainless horde. I have no attachment to either Jon or Dany, and the only two places that seemingly matter anymore are King's Landing and Winterfell. The narrative has narrowed tremendously in service of the plot elements that interest me the least.

But I'm still legit optimistic D&D will stick the landing.
I'm optimistic they will stick the landing... but only because my expectations for the show have been lowered.

It lost a lot of its complexity and nuance and got a little more... tropey. Which is exactly what GRRM wanted to avoid. It got less game of thrones and more LOTR as time went on. And LOTR is still great but this is not the same show as the first 4 seasons.

The plot was always going to get smaller, just the nature of things to conclude without it feeling like you are trying to get endings for 4 separate but largely unrelated story lines.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Speaking of Valyrian steel weapons, there aren't a lot to go around. As far as I know these are the only characters that have them:

Jaime
Brienne
Jorah
Jon
Arya

You'd think it would be a good idea for Theon to have one since the entire plan rides on Bran, but what do I know? Maybe Arya will be there as well since she was really adamant that Bran not be left alone.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I also wonder if there's a single Valyrian Steel or dragonglass weapon in all of King's Landing atm.

Does D&D know this? Either way, the Mountain strikes me as more of a zombie, while Jon and Beric strike me as more actually fully revived.

For Jon and Beric, they're playing them as regular people.

I think D & D know. They just changed that aspect. Imagine if Jon was played as a walking, bloodless corpse that neither sleeps nor eats post-season 5 and how much creepier that would make his scenes.

GRRM made an explicit comment about Beric being a fire wight because true resurrection doesn't exist in the books. They're corpses animated by fire magic that lose essential memories and changes their personality. Unlike the ice wights though, they're sentient.

GRRM: ....poor Beric Dondarrion, who was set up as the foreshadowing of all this[Jon Snow's resurrection], every time he's a little less Beric. His memories are fading, he's got all these scars, he's becoming more and more physically hideous, because he's not a living human being anymore. His heart isn't beating, his blood isn't flowing in his veins, he's a wight, but a wight animated by fire instead of by ice, now we're getting back to the whole fire and ice thing."

The Mountain is just a more successful version of resurrected Drogo. A drone for Cersei without any real intelligence behind him.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Who said they're united?

:(

Good point. :(

I think a cool way to resolve Varys' arc would be if he let himself be turned into a wight/white walker during the assault. His skill at navigating the Game of Thrones is almost redundant now, and he may calculate that there's no stopping the Long Night. And whether he's right or wrong, it would be a chilling setup for the remaining episodes if one of the smartest characters had decided all hope was lost.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
What if the twist is that they destroy the Night King and it doesn't destroy all the rest of the whitewalkers?

Beric: "He turned them all, kill him and the rest will fall."

*Jon Kills Night King*

Jon: "They're still standing!"

Off-Screen Voice: "That's because he didn't turn them all, he was not the first."

*Camera pans around*

Euron Greyjoy: "I am the First Storm, my Lords. And the last."

*Magic Glamour wears off revealing that his left eye is bright blue*

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have we seen Jon bleed since being resurrected? Did Beric bleed when he was nearly cleaved in half by the Hound?

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Speaking of Valyrian steel weapons, there aren't a lot to go around. As far as I know these are the only characters that have them:

Jaime
Brienne
Jorah
Jon
Arya

You'd think it would be a good idea for Theon to have one since the entire plan rides on Bran, but what do I know? Maybe Arya will be there as well since she was really adamant that Bran not be left alone.

apparently theon has dragonglass point arrows

Somnia

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Regarding the Prince who was Promised in the last few pages... it's probably Jon and Dany's son. That's my guess at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.