• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
The mountain never died. He took a vow of silence. There is some weird notion that he died and came back. Pretty sure atleast in the book he was just really close to dying

In the books, the Mountain died and it's heavily implied that he doesn't even have a head or at least someone else's head. Remember that the Martells receive the original Mountain's head.

And also temember that Book! Qyburn is a necromancer

There's a tinfoil theory that he's using Robb Stark's head hence the alias Robert Strong which is what Robb Stark means.

Jacob4815

Oct 29, 2017
The Mountain was dead in the book, but not in the show. He was still alive when Cersei, Pycelle and Qyburn discussed his fate. Then Qyburn started with his strange experiments and he drained the poisoned blood.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TintedScientificEyelashpitviper-size_restricted.gif
I'm surprised he didn't use that for his handofthequeen sigil

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I always thought the "vow of silence" part of the Mountain was just an excuse to hide the fact that he's dead. In the book at least, it seems pretty clear in the show.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Protein

Oct 27, 2017
What if the Night King goes to the Citadel to cook the history books and knowledge of the realm instead?

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a bit disappointing if there's nothing more to the NK and the WWs other than mindless extermination machines though. That's where the show is definitely going but i doubt that's Martin's original take. Before we had this show version, my idea of the WWs was much more interesting and full of possibilities. What's their society like, for example? What do they actually want and why?

The show dude won't even talk most likely. We'll learn nothing beyond 'they mean to destroy everything!'. Heh.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
It's a bit disappointing if there's nothing more to the NK and the WWs other than mindless extermination machines though. That's where the show is definitely going but i doubt that's Martin's original take. Before we had this show version, my idea of the WWs was much more interesting and full of possibilities. What's their society like, for example? What do they actually want and why?

The show dude won't even talk most likely. We'll learn nothing beyond 'they mean to destroy everything!'. Heh.

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't both the books and the show state that the Others were a weapon created by the Children of the Forest to defend themselves against the Andal invasion that they lost control over?

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles

This is GRRM's take as well. It's in his outline:

The greatest danger of all, however, comes from the north, from the icy wastes beyond the Wall, where half-forgotten demons out of legend, the inhuman others, raise cold legions of the undead and the neverborn and prepare to ride down on the winds of winter to extinguish everything that we would call "life." The only thing that stands between the Seven Kingdoms and an endless night is the Wall, and a handful of men in black called the Night's Watch. Their story will be [sic] heart of my third volume, The Winds of Winter. The final battle will also draw together characters and plot threads left from the first two books and resolve all in one huge climax.

He also wrote a similar type of story before in Tuf Voyaging.

Man kills the leaders of an alien species lead by a hivemind that they're unaware are the leaders of the alien species. Said leaders can't defend themselves so they bioengineer a race that can take humanity on.

In Tuf Voyaging, humanity and the aliens forge a peace and they decommission their bioweapons.

In ASOIAF, humanity and the fantasy species forge a peace but their bioweapons run amok.

The White Walkers aren't important as characters. They're not evil just machines or a natural disaster.

They're there for the heroes to react to and in doing so reveal who they are as people.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't both the books and the show state that the Others were a weapon created by the Children of the Forest to defend themselves against the Andal invasion that they lost control over?

The Children of the Forest created them against the First Men not the Andals.

But only the show has explicitly stated it thus far but the books have implied it and it's consistent with GRRM's past work.

"Sam the Slayer!" he said, by way of greeting. "Are you sure you stabbed an Other, and not some child's snow knight?"

The White Walkers were the Children of the Forest's Snow Knights.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think we have any definitive proof the NK can raise people he wasn't involved in killing but we might find out very soon!
I don't know how you can explain the death of Jojen Reed otherwise unless they were long ago killed by the NK and only recently revived...idk maybe a bunch of wights are always standing watch outside the 3 eyed raven's house cause they couldn't go in and they got covered up in a blizzard.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
if i ws a child of the forest born about 100 years before the event of the series

And I'm assuming the book is not pulling any 3 eye raven and bran are actually the villian stuff

I assume they know if the wight and other threat for a few years before agot atleast and they can spy on the south with greensight

would have just headed south and popped up at winterfell while king Robert was there really suprise evreyone I exist

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how you can explain the death of Jojen Reed otherwise unless they were long ago killed by the NK and only recently revived...idk maybe a bunch of wights are always standing watch outside the 3 eyed raven's house cause they couldn't go in and they got covered up in a blizzard.
I mean you answered your own question. Clearly the NK is watching the 3ER at all times.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I like them, but they never have anything critical to say.
It's all fangushing

Well I don't think that's entirely true, just because they are book readers and don't trash the show at every opportunity like some other people, I've seen them be critical. I know Jason Concepcion didn't like Battle of the Bastards for instance.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
I keep thinking, since Winterfell is proper fucked, how are people getting out.

Hoping that conversation that Luwin had with Theon, about "there are ways, hidden passageways for the Lords of Winterfell to escape", comes up again.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is GRRM's take as well. It's in his outline:

He also wrote a similar type of story before in Tuf Voyaging.

Man kills the leaders of an alien species lead by a hivemind that they're unaware are the leaders of the alien species. Said leaders can't defend themselves so they bioengineer a race that can take humanity on.

In Tuf Voyaging, humanity and the aliens forge a peace and they decommission their bioweapons.

In ASOIAF, humanity and the fantasy species forge a peace but their bioweapons run amok.

The White Walkers aren't important as characters. They're not evil just machines or a natural disaster.

They're there for the heroes to react to and in doing so reveal who they are as people.

But this is not in the books is it? I'm rereading them and maybe i just haven't gotten around to it yet, but i'm pretty sure it's still very open to interpretation. And the backstory we have seems to indicate there's more to it?

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
Not a book reader, but from the videos I've seen (made by book readers), it's not clear what caused "the long night", but there are theories involving the Night's King and dark sacrifices in Westeros, with similar legends in Essos. Not sure if the show's explanation with the children is implied though.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
Really, only thing Varys has left, is to find out what the hell went on with the flame voice that burninated his genitals. His main storyline besides that, was to bring in a just/rightful ruler, and he appears to have done that.

Status
Not open for further replies.