• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If that put them ending at the Battle of Winterfell, even with the Night King winning, it probably would've been better received.

A final theme of "mankind's endless backstabbing and bickering dooms us all" would have been better than... whatever the thing we got is supposed to be.

A finale where everyone dies would've been just as controversial

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone I spoke to in real life (non internet nerds how some of you call them) also hate it.

This isn't another Last Jedi situation

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Man, OP. You really enjoy looking at user ratings.

Fzjum3f.png

tIXgdQB.png

Tt4qSNv.png

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Misogynist Conspiracy Rhetoric
But it's da trolls and review bombing ya'll, this was quality writing.

its for Daenerys story, like sansa in s5, where the episode they didn;t liked get review bombed, by "professional reviewers".

Female reviewers quit the show then, then they came back, now they quit again.....

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone I spoke to in real life (non internet nerds how some of you call them) also hate it.

This isn't another Last Jedi situation

My dad, who has basically the lowest standards and will eat up any stupid thing on the TV, hated it so much he said he regretted subscribing to HBO for it lol

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
I walked past a couple in the street earlier and heard them saying 'it came out of nowhere she would never do that, the writing has fallen of a cliff, one of the worst endings ever'

I took a chance and asked them if they were talking about game of thrones, they were.

They have never read the books and loved the show, they were extremely annoyed at how insultingly bad this season was.

It felt so good to bitch about this garbage with some randoms and not on the internet. The hatred has gone mainstream baby.

Of course I left them with a lecture on why Stannis is the best character in the books

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I walked past a couple in the street earlier and heard them saying 'it came out of nowhere she would never do that, the writing has fallen of a cliff, one of the worst endings ever'

I took a chance and asked them if they were talking about game of thrones, they were.

They have never read the books and loved the show, they were extremely annoyed at how insultingly bad this season was.

It felt so good to bitch about this garbage with some randoms and not on the internet. The hatred has gone mainstream baby.

Of course I left them with a lecture on why Stannis is the best character in the books

/thathappened.

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If they had a full season to flesh out storylines (like Danaerys major shift), it could have been better. Everything after EP 3 felt horribly rushed. Maybe even just editing it differently could have helped. Night king could have been left as a finale episode.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
its for Daenerys story, like sansa in s5, where the episode they didn;t liked get review bombed, by "professional reviewers".

Female reviewers quit the show then, then they came back, now they quit again.....
wow, the defenders of the show are now the toxic weirdo's. The worm has turned!

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
It's more like...yawn in general. There are complainers offline and online. The problem is...who the shit cares what others think? If you like it, you like it. If you don't, you don't. It's so strange how many people want to feel validated for their opinions. It's an opinion. It doesn't need to be validated. Move on, folks.

You are in a discussion forum. The whole purpose of this website is to discuss things lol

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
....and its a good show, not a disaster as someone that dislike it might think?

No, it's not.

It also ended on a disappointingly sexist episode where the female lead who has said she never wanted children was randomly made to be pregnant and happy about it (without even remotely touching on her change of heart) in order to fulfil the male lead's desires.

Oct 26, 2017
You are in a discussion forum. The whole purpose of this website is to discuss things lol
I agree with ya. But threads like these...there isn't much discussion going on. Just like the last few GoT threads, it quickly devolved into folks saying, "ending good" or "ending bad." It just comes off like folks wanting to have their opinion accepted by some higher power.

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh my fucking god, you're one of those. I'm sorry I engaged you.
What a terrible post
wow, the defenders of the show are now the toxic weirdo's. The worm has turned!

Enjoy some professional show reviews, ill add more:

A Little White Man Is King on Game of Thrones? Groundbreaking.

As with all things, Bran's victory was especially chafing in light of the deeply patriarchal Trump-era political climate (is there no reprieve?) and the prevalent argument that white male politicians remain the most "electable." As author Michael Arceneaux tweeted on Sunday night: "Should I be even more worried about the Democratic primary now?"

https://www.vogue.com/article/bran-game-of-thrones-finale-backlash

WGMBY

Oct 27, 2017
Boston, MA
I didn't like most of how this season handled character development, but I liked where the characters ended up. I'm just imagining in my head a version where they had more time and better writing to get the characters to their end points in a more believable way. Jon + Dany never had a super believable relationship, and the split in Dany's forces between those who became disenchanted with her and those who remained loyal happened way too fast. But I felt that the ending for each character was appropriate if bittersweet, which is exactly what I expected from GRRM.

I'm not gonna defend the writing though, it was pretty bad, just like the whole season.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
From a personal stand point the last time I saw people commenting an ending with such desdain was HIMYM. Like, from people on the street.

Altought in HIMYM's case I saw a girl full force screaming that the ending was bad. So I guess this was better?

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure you have a point, I just don't know what it is.

Game Of Thrones Season 8 Finale Recap: And Now Our Watch Has Ended

For years, Game of Thrones has lulled us into believing that its women would end up in charge. In the end, it's only Sansa, by sheer force of will, who wears a lesser crown. The wheel hasn't broken; the patriarchy is still alive and well in Westeros.

https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/20...hrones-recap-season-8-episode-6-finale-ending

If the character i supported(?) ended on the throne, then the show would be great...........

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's really telling when even the actors don't like it.
What actors actually didn't like it? I've seen a handful of people cherrypick quotes from Nikolaj, Lena Heady, Conleth Hill and Hempstead-Wright as proof of them not liking something about the finale or final season...then read or watched the actual interview where it turns out they're onboard and satisfied with it after all.

If they had a full season to flesh out storylines (like Danaerys major shift), it could have been better. Everything after EP 3 felt horribly rushed. Maybe even just editing it differently could have helped. Night king could have been left as a finale episode.
Season 8 could have definitely used more time (I do agree with Benioff and Weiss' judgment that this season had about 6 episodes worth of story left, but think they miscalculated by thinking that that meant only needing 6 episodes to tell it). But I also think there are a lot of people who would've just never been onboard with Dany's turn, no matter how much time was spent building up to it. If your investment in Danerys is as the hero, then how would you ever be down with her burning King's Landing like that?

I'll be curious to see how it plays in the books (uh, someday!) because there's no doubt in my mind that Dany's turn will be part of GRRM's ending too. Similarly, there's no way that defeating the army of the dead before the finale wasn't also part of GRRM's outline too, so I'm not sure saving the Night King for the very end would've worked either unless they wanted to completely change the ending he'd given them.

No, it's not.

It also ended on a disappointingly sexist episode where the female lead who has said she never wanted children was randomly made to be pregnant and happy about it (without even remotely touching on her change of heart) in order to fulfil the male lead's desires.
Man for a second there I thought you were talking about GoT and wondered if I'd missed something huge lol

airbagged_

Jan 21, 2019
Charleston, SC
I didn't like most of how this season handled character development, but I liked where the characters ended up. I'm just imagining in my head a version where they had more time and better writing to get the characters to their end points in a more believable way. Jon + Dany never had a super believable relationship, and the split in Dany's forces between those who became disenchanted with her and those who remained loyal happened way too fast. But I felt that the ending for each character was appropriate if bittersweet, which is exactly what I expected from GRRM.

I'm not gonna defend the writing though, it was pretty bad, just like the whole season.

I agree with this take. I liked the ending.. just the way we go there, was not... great. Pretty much great actors given a fanfiction.net script.

Status
Not open for further replies.