• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
At the end of the series, some outcasts have become part of the council in King's landing yes, but it feels quite incomplete.

I liked the council scene, seeing the "sidekicks" of some of the main players come together. My read on that was here are the actual people doing the work of running the kingdom while the ruling family class squabble and war. The "true power", at least as it manifests day to day for the people of Westeros, was actually around the table in the hands of (mostly) well meaning, hard working individuals.

Note: I know Tyrion is a Lannister and part of the ruling class, but the Lannisters are pretty much neutered at this point.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
Tbh I don't think bran wanted to be king he could just see the future knows that you can't change the future......like haven't other forms of media had the same thing. Where someone knows the future but it can't be changed because time is a set thing.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
It's going to be interesting how different the book ending is from the show.
I bet there will be a huge changes. Even GRRM knows D&D screwed up big time.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm not so sure about that, IIRC he said he likes the ending. A lot of end points will probably be the same as they are likely his idea.

Except the books will have a message and meaning. The show just got that ending for the sake of ending the show.

Untzillatx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basque Country

Huge changes as in main characters having completely different endings? Very unlikely. The end result will probably be the same, the getting there will be different.

But I fully expect for Daenerys to become mad queen and then die, Arya to travel west, Bran to become king and Jon to end up with the free folk.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
It seems so. He keeps talking about how he can't have sex anymore since season 5. I mean maybe, it's a moral thing and he feels trauma over sex because of Shae. We don't really know. It's never explained.

Did he say can't or hasn't?

If I remember correctly, they changed the rape scene in Essos to Tyrion refusing to bed the prostitute, then he tells Jaime he hasn't had sex in years.

I assumed he was celibate out of choice and lack of opportunity

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Agreed. The show drops its continuity with the early themes and motifs that made the story more than some big budget fantasy extravaganza full of boobs and blood.

Remember kids, in the words of modern sage David Benioff: "Themes are for eighth-grade book reports."

On Game of Thrones, characters are free to while away hours, even entire seasons, on the periphery. The story lines move forward and dig deeper as the episodes progress but rarely circle back and almost never pause for reflection. When I asked Benioff and Weiss if it was possible to infer any overall intentionality to the upcoming 10 episodes, they sneered. "Themes are for eighth-grade book reports," Benioff told me.

Fucking hack.

Last edited:

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Did he say can't or hasn't?

If I remember correctly, they changed the rape scene in Essos to Tyrion refusing to bed the prostitute, then he tells Jaime he hasn't had sex in years.

I assumed he was celibate out of choice and lack of opportunity

He said he'd like to but he can't.

He even brings it up to Jaime somehow about how he'd like to go whoring again but can't.

The showrunners portrayed some characters and scenarios in a way that clashes with how the story was intended to end, since they literally don't believe in themes and didn't care about who these characters are in the books.

This mean Dany in particular became pretty different and for a while they portrayed her as a simple hero of the people out to save the world.

It's clear that they knew in abstract terms that Dany was supposed to "go evil!" somehow at the end, so every once in a while TV show Dany gets really aggressive and some side character furrowed their brows and mumbled something about her family having The Dragon Crazies.

But overall they set up Dany in a way that would leave many people unhappy with the ending. And results in the story not making a lot of sense. Ironically enough if you step back and squint you can see some of the intended themes (remember themes from 8th grade?) take shape. And it does justify the ending in very broad strokes.